SportsWrath

Sirius Satellite Radio's Adam Caplan just reporting...

Sephiroth

Anyone know if he's still facing jail time?

Droughns faces six to 18 months in jail if convicted of assault and up to six months in jail if convicted of harassment. Bail conditions allow him to leave the state before his next court appearance on July 6, district attorney's spokeswoman Kathleen Walsh said.

Droughns, who played for the Denver Broncos until a 2005 trade, signed a three-year extension with the Browns this year. He rushed for 1,232 yards and two touchdowns on 309 carries last season.

Earlier this month, a jury acquitted Droughns of drunken driving charges, finding he was not impaired by alcohol when a State Highway Patrol trooper stopped him Nov. 1 in Medina in northeast Ohio.

He was down on yards last year but had two 1200+ seasons the previous two years.

That would be an AWESOME trade for us...if it's true. Carter has been a waste of a roster spot.

Giants Acquire Droughns

By David Syvertsen | March 9th, 2007

Print | E-mail

94742_210X300.jpg NBC Sports

I am being told that the Giants have traded WR Tim Carter for Browns RB Reuben Droughns, no draft picks have been included. I will add more once I have time to think this over but I just wanted to get this out.

**Well first of all, this trade tells me that the Giants did not want to spend a first day pick on a rookie RB to spell Jacobs. They were exploring all options via trade and FA with the likes of McGahee, Rhodes, Bell….etc because they wanted a veteran to back up Jacobs. With Reese being unwilling to give up a day one pick in order to obtain a veteran RB via trade, may of his potential suitors backed off. But the Browns have a need for speed at WR with the departure of Dennis Northcutt and they just brought in veteran RB Jamal Lewis.

By no means is this a big deal that will have an enormous impact on our season, but it is without a doubt a trade that made this a better football team. We all know that Tim Carter is a guy that looks the part, but does not show up on Sundays and hurts his team more often than he helps it. Droughns is a very good receiving back that can run for power and surprise some with short area speed. He will not break many runs to the house but he will give our running game a formidable 1-2 punch.

Note: This is now being reported on Sirius and NFL Network.

This is the most we've ever gotten from Carter.

yeah sure is :clap: But read his statement below. Like we didnt give him opportunity (5 years) when he was here I am just glad he is gone.

Giants send Carter to Cleveland for Droughns

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Filling their need for a proven running back to team with youngster Brandon Jacobs, the New York Giants on Friday acquired Reuben Droughns from the Cleveland Browns in exchange for wide receiver Tim Carter, ESPN.com has learned.

5932.jpg

Carter

5110.jpg

DroughnsCleveland has been shopping Droughns in trade talks since signing unrestricted free agent tailback Jamal Lewis to a one-year contract earlier this week. The Giants were seeking a tailback to replace the retired Tiki Barber.

Droughns, 28, should provide the Giants a solid insurance policy and a veteran and tested back who can share the ball-carrying chores with Jacobs, a two-year veteran. Jacobs has been the complementary back to Barber, playing mostly in short-yardage and goal-line situations in his two NFL seasons.

A fourth-round pick in the 2005 draft, Jacobs has logged only 134 career carries for 522 yards, but has scored 16 touchdowns. Last season, the former Southern Illinois standout rushed for 423 yards and nine TDs on 96 attempts.

Droughns came to the Browns from Denver in a 2005 trade after rushing for 1,240 yards in 2004. He gained 1,232 yards in 2005, his first year in Cleveland, and the Browns rewarded him with a three-year contract extension worth $12 million. But Droughns slumped to 758 yards in 2006 and there have been some off-field problems in the past year.

He was due a $1.75 million roster bonus on March 17 but the Browns wanted to avoid paying it, especially after acquiring Lewis, who has already been penciled in as the starter. Droughns is scheduled to have a base salary of $1.25 million for 2007 and is due base salaries of $1.75 million for '08 and $2.75 million for '09 under his Cleveland contract. It was not immediately known if he reworked his contract to help accommodate the trade.

For Carter, the deal represents a chance for a fresh start after five injury-marred seasons with the Giants.

"Tim is absolutely excited about this opportunity," agent Pat Dye Jr. said on Friday afternoon. "In discussing Tim's situation with the Giants, we wanted to identify some teams who might be a good fit for him if New York decided to deal him. Obviously the Browns, who were looking for the kind of deep-threat dimension he brings to the table, were the most proactive."

Carter, 27, was a second-round choice of the Giants in 2002. The former Auburn standout possesses sprinter's speed, but a series of injuries have kept him from fulfilling his potential. He has 72 career receptions for 967 yards and three touchdowns in 33 games, including 11 starts. Last season, Carter started eight games and had 22 catches for 253 yards and two touchdowns.

In an active market, Droughns is the fourth starting-caliber tailback to be traded in the past week. The other tailbacks to be traded were Tatum Bell (from Denver to Detroit), Thomas Jones (from Chicago to the New York Jets) and Willis McGahee (from Buffalo to Baltimore).

That would be an AWESOME trade for us...if it's true. Carter has been a waste of a roster spot.

That means Moss has to come in to camp & stay healthy......... how many times have we said that about Carter?

He was down on yards last year but had two 1200+ seasons the previous two years.

I think he might still be facing charges but I'm not sure..... wasn't really paying much attention as I thought that the Giants would be looking at other veterans first. As far as his production goes, the Browns had one of the worst lines in the league last season especially after LeCharles Bentley wend down for the year in camp.

This is the most we've ever gotten from Carter.

ROFLMAO!!! :LMAO:

From SI

He was arrested but later acquitted on drunken driving charges and had a domestic violence case against him dropped by prosecutors in Denver citing a lack of evidence.

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Reuben Droughns, Cleveland's only 1,000-yard rusher since 1985, was traded Friday to the New York Giants, who need a feature running back following Tiki Barber's retirement.

In return for Droughns, who became expendable after the Browns signed free agent Jamal Lewis to a one-year, $3.5 million contract on Wednesday, the Giants sent Cleveland wide receiver Tim Carter.

As part of a three-year, $12 million contract extension he signed last year, Droughns was due a $1.75 million roster bonus this month. But instead of paying him or releasing the 28-year-old and getting nothing in return, the Browns acquired Carter, a part-time starter who had 22 catches for 253 yards and two touchdowns last season.

The Browns also terminated the contract of cornerback Daylon McCutcheon, one of only two players left from their 1999 expansion team. McCutcheon missed all of last season following microfracture surgery on his knee.

In his first season with Cleveland in 2005, Droughns rushed for 1,232 yards, becoming the first Browns back to eclipse 1,000 yards since Kevin Mack and Earnest Byner did it in 1985. But slowed by injuries and personal problems, Droughns was a big disappointment last season, gaining just 758 yards.

He was arrested but later acquitted on drunken driving charges and had a domestic violence case against him dropped by prosecutors in Denver citing a lack of evidence.

Droughns missed two games with injuries and had only two 100-yard games in 2006. He was running behind an injury-ravaged offensive line that couldn't regroup after losing center LeCharles Bentley to a season-ending knee injury.

The Giants are hoping to get the '05 Droughns, who will likely compete with bruising third-year back Brandon Jacobs to fill Barber's vacant spot. It's also possible the Giants could rotate them, using a similar two-back system to the one employed by Super Bowl champion Indianapolis.

"Reuben rushed for 1,200 yards in '04 and '05 and 750 last year," Giants general manager Jerry Reese said. "We think he gives us a nice veteran presence and compliments Brandon Jacobs and the rest of our running back group nicely."

Droughns also has played fullback, his position in Denver for two years before his breakout season in 2004 when he gained 1,240 yards and scored a career-high six touchdowns.

The Browns were last in the league in rushing last season, and appear ready to let the 27-year-old Lewis, who gained an NFL single-game record 295 yards against them in 2003, be their primary back.

But the addition of Lewis doesn't mean they won't pick Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson with the No. 3 overall selection in next month's draft.

Also, the Browns have signed Bengals defensive tackle Shaun Smith to a four-year offer sheet. The Bengals have seven days to match the deal or they'll lose the restricted free agent, who would follow offensive tackle Eric Steinbach to Cleveland.

The Browns signed Steinbach to a seven-year, $49.5 million free agent deal last week.

droughns is a proven featured back, but not a great one. i'd be really nervous if he was our #1, but i'm extremely happy with him as a #2 getting 10 carries a game. and tim carter for droughns is a steal. i'm thrilled we didn't have to shell out big bucks or give up draft picks. i would've preferred rhodes since he's a change of pace back and content with the #2 back status, but droughns is just fine with me.

1 hole filled, only 5 or 6 more. Who's left in free agency? :confused:

i guess we're relying on the draft for the most part. i really can't blame reese, there's a ton of money out there and very little talent. everyone is way overpriced and most of these players will be free agents again in 1-3 years due to these horrible contracts being signed. unless he pulls briggs out of his ass (and frankly i dont think he's good enough to warrant a ton of draft picks AND the money) it looks like we'll be making our splash in the draft

He's looking like he's thinking that way, but in all honesty he's getting stood up becuase Coughlin. I think at one point he must of said fuck it, lets draft well. Next year will be Reese's tell tale year. The way he looks like he's working it is to have a grip of picks next year which will allow for all kinds of options. I think we as fans just need to take this upcoming season for what it is. It wont be anything to get excited about, but next year we may have one hell of a team.

I honestly don't know what to expect. Reese is playing with a whole new set of rules, and I like it. I would guess that somewhere along the line we get a FA wide receiver, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a player go for draft picks. There's been a ton of trading going on this year, and I don't think that's going to stop anytime soon.

I honestly don't know what to expect. Reese is playing with a whole new set of rules, and I like it. I would guess that somewhere along the line we get a FA wide receiver, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a player go for draft picks. There's been a ton of trading going on this year, and I don't think that's going to stop anytime soon.

For Carter to say anything other than Thankyou to the Giants organization for 5 year free ride/lunch that he has gotten smacks of ingratitude and marks him as ungracious.

He's looking like he's thinking that way, but in all honesty he's getting stood up becuase Coughlin. I think at one point he must of said fuck it, lets draft well. Next year will be Reese's tell tale year. The way he looks like he's working it is to have a grip of picks next year which will allow for all kinds of options. I think we as fans just need to take this upcoming season for what it is. It wont be anything to get excited about, but next year we may have one hell of a team.

It all rides on Eli's shoulders. If we manage to get June and Hood on defense and get a solid LB in the 1st round, and Eli plays well like we thought he would when we drafted him, this is an 11-5 team.

Unfortunately, Eli's play is not a given.

It all rides on Eli's shoulders. If we manage to get June and Hood on defense and get a solid LB in the 1st round, and Eli plays well like we thought he would when we drafted him, this is an 11-5 team.

Unfortunately, Eli's play is not a given.

Hood is off the market now.

championships are not won in March or by signing free agents, especially this year, where the money for teams us up, forcing the talent to be lessened and the contracts bloated for some VERY mediocre players. Teams win by signing free agents that plug holes and add depth and by drafting well. The Droughns trade was a good one and in all honesty I see no issues with anything Reese has done or has not done. Pettigout, Emmons and Arrington were non factors last year. Emmons played an entire playoff game and did not register a tackle. Pettigout? Yeah had a solid first 7 games, but here is my question? If LT is the hardest position to find next to franchise QB and shut down CB how come Pettigout did not break the bank and have offers from all over? Diehl will be more than fine at LT and in the long run better than Luke was. I love LaVar but if he were worth keeping how come he has no job either?

Its high time the Giants started getting rid of guys a year too early instead of a year too late(see Sehorn).