SportsWrath

The newest players in the Giants FA Probe

Lughead

KC_ChargersRavens545.jpg Donnie Edwards - K.C. ALFRED / Union-Tribune

Giants Interested in Many

By Dan Benton | March 8th, 2007

Print | E-mail

This is what we’ve all waited for, isn’t it? The rumors and reports are flying now stating that the Giants are in the mix for anyone from Dre Bly to Donnie Edwards and from Deon Grant to Kevin Curtis. The one problem I have is that none of those seem “solid.” They’re just more loose affiliations with the Giants “not offering enough.” But for those of you that haven’t seen or heard all of these things, I will break it down player by player.

Dre Bly: ESPN’s Michael Smith has confirmed Hazem’s previous report that the Giants are in fact interested in Bly, who wants to play closer to his Virginia home. Smith reported that the Giants were also in the mix before he was shipped off to Denver from Detroit but that Washington is his preferred city. The Broncos will be hesitant to re-trade him unless they receive an offer “they can not refuse.”

Jay Feely: There had been reports that the Giants made a late push to retain Feely’s services but apparently it was either too late, or not enough. The kicker signed a three-year, $6 million deal with the Miami Dolphins.

“I was very hopeful (about returning to the Giants),” Feely said to The New York Post. “They said they were coming back with a new offer and there really wasn’t.”

Kevin Curtis: This one seems to be all over the place. First it was reported that he was scheduled to meet with the Giants, then he fired his agent, then he skipped his Giants visit. After all that, NFL Network reported that he had visited without his agent last night but other papers report that he is also supposed to be in New York (without an agent) today. Who really knows at this point?

Roderick Hood: Right now Hood is looking for big time money; starters money. To this point the Giants have not, and likely will not, offer it. I think that’s a shame because Hood is one of the few free agents who has openly said he would like to play for the Giants and reunite with defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. However, Hood would also sacrifice a little cash to play in New York should the Giants come close to matching any offers made by Cleveland, Arizona or New Orleans.

Deon Grant: Grant’s name came up for the first time last night and while interesting, does not seem like it will develop into anything. The Giants have attempted to bring him in for a visit but he’s made it clear he prefers to stay to stay in Jacksonville.

Donnie Edwards: Edwards is another name that popped up from left field last night. At the moment no visit has been scheduled with the Giants and one probably will not be. Edwards is looking for a ton of cash and the Giants aren’t looking to spend it on an aging linebacker. I’m an Edwards fan and think he’d be an excellent guy to fill the void from now until Gerris Wilkinson is developed. As it stands, Kansas City seems to be leading the way for his services.

Dominic Rhodes: It seems like it’s almost been a year since Dominic Rhodes was in New York for a visit. Unfortunately he may not return because the Giants are being “cheap” with him. Not that he deserves a ton of money, just that he wants a ton of money. The Giants refuse to get into a bidding war over him.

Willis McGahee: The Giants are running out of time when it comes to Willis McGahee. The Bills have been meeting with various running backs, including Rhodes, and there were even premature reports last night (ESPN Radio) that they had signed Chris Brown. It seems like the closer they are to signing a running back, the closer they become to trading McGahee to the Ravens. Options are paper thin for the Giants and if McGahee and Rhodes get away, the Giants will have to settle on a rookie running back behind Brandon Jacobs next year.

Rumors:

- There appears to be no additional information on the possible preliminary agreement between the Giants and DT Ian Scott or the interest in LB Ike Reese.

If Hood wouls sacrifice money to play here, why the fuck hasn't he signed? All bullshit from either him or the writer. And if by chance he is sacrificing and Reese is beating around the bush, I say I really think Reese is an idiot, or a pawn, or something. Just doesn't seem right that a guy is willing to take a pay cut, and we still dont pursue him with all the wholes we have, Like the FO is pulling a fast one on the fans.

If Hood wouls sacrifice money to play here, why the fuck hasn't he signed? All bullshit from either him or the writer. And if by chance he is sacrificing and Reese is beating around the bush, I say I really think Reese is an idiot, or a pawn, or something. Just doesn't seem right that a guy is willing to take a pay cut, and we still dont pursue him with all the wholes we have, Like the FO is pulling a fast one on the fans.

he would have to he doesn't want to sacrifice any money