SportsWrath

Phil Hughes

LorfTVP

• 3 weeks later...
I can't wait for him to light up the league. It's great to have a good young pitching prospect instead of a 6' 10" broken-down caveman.

Yeah, yeah, ya...That's all I here from this kid. But I haven't seen anything special yet from him.

With your rotation right now people will be clamoring for a callup but you gotta give the kid some more time in the minor leagues...especially considering his struggles during spring training. He should be a monster for years though and I'm mildly afraid.

With your rotation right now people will be clamoring for a callup but you gotta give the kid some more time in the minor leagues...especially considering his struggles during spring training. He should be a monster for years though and I'm mildly afraid.
the Yankees rotation is fine, its actually alot better than most people are giving them credit for. Seriously, what team has a dominating pitching staff from top to bottom? None, every team in the league has issues with their rotation so Id bank on the team that can out slug anyone. Wang, Mussina and Pettite are as good a top three as any team. So Mussina and Pettite dont throw 95+, they still post good era's and they win. Not to mention the Yankees have one of the best bullpens in the league. And we have guys that should and will be called up before Hughes.....bottom line we dont see Hughes until September

the Yankees rotation is fine, its actually alot better than most people are giving them credit for. Seriously, what team has a dominating pitching staff from top to bottom? None, every team in the league has issues with their rotation so Id bank on the team that can out slug anyone. Wang, Mussina and Pettite are as good a top three as any team. So Mussina and Pettite dont throw 95+, they still post good era's and they win. Not to mention the Yankees have one of the best bullpens in the league. And we have guys that should and will be called up before Hughes.....bottom line we dont see Hughes until September

Well, count me as one of those who aren't giving the Yankees rotation enough credit, at least to start off the year. I will give Wang, Mussina, and Pettite nods as good pitchers but I'm old fashioned enough to believe in a staff ace which I don't think you have. I mean, those guys are all good but is there anyone that you can really depend on to break a losing streak? No doubt the Yankees offense will lead the league, especially with health on their side. Mussina and Pettite are both really smart pitchers and I'll give them their due. I've gone over my argument about Wang and the volatility of sinkerballers many times before and I expect an ERA in the low 4s for him. As for the young guys, my bet is that until people get healthy, it will be a revolving door of Karstens, Igawa, Pavano, Rasner, etc.

Sorry, I got sidetracked. The Yankees are an amazing team in terms of offense and bullpen, a bit shoddy on defense but adequate, and their pitching rotation has a lot of questions with a couple of guys on the wrong side of 30. I'm not discounting the rotation and I'm amazed at the Yankees shooting up in Baseball America's prospect rankings but everything will have to go right for the Yankees to have a top rotation this year. I say that they're like the Mets in that they have a prolific offense and questionable pitching.

Well, count me as one of those who aren't giving the Yankees rotation enough credit, at least to start off the year. I will give Wang, Mussina, and Pettite nods as good pitchers but I'm old fashioned enough to believe in a staff ace which I don't think you have. I mean, those guys are all good but is there anyone that you can really depend on to break a losing streak? No doubt the Yankees offense will lead the league, especially with health on their side. Mussina and Pettite are both really smart pitchers and I'll give them their due. I've gone over my argument about Wang and the volatility of sinkerballers many times before and I expect an ERA in the low 4s for him. As for the young guys, my bet is that until people get healthy, it will be a revolving door of Karstens, Igawa, Pavano, Rasner, etc.

Sorry, I got sidetracked. The Yankees are an amazing team in terms of offense and bullpen, a bit shoddy on defense but adequate, and their pitching rotation has a lot of questions with a couple of guys on the wrong side of 30. I'm not discounting the rotation and I'm amazed at the Yankees shooting up in Baseball America's prospect rankings but everything will have to go right for the Yankees to have a top rotation this year. I say that they're like the Mets in that they have a prolific offense and questionable pitching.

fair enough