SportsWrath

Interest in Briggs???

so-cal dub

Well what i have been reading is a first and a fourth can be a possibility. I pass on giving up a first rounder. Is he really that good? You don't give up a first round pick for a LB.

I wouldn't give up a 1st unless we get theirs in return as well. I'd be somewhat reluctant to give up 2 this year and one next, unless we gave them a 3rd and, say, 5th this year and a 3rd next.

Reese said he's impatient so if this story has any credibility, he may just be trigger happy on him.

I wouldn't give up a 1st unless we get theirs in return as well. I'd be somewhat reluctant to give up 2 this year and one next, unless we gave them a 3rd and, say, 5th this year and a 3rd next.

Reese said he's impatient so if this story has any credibility, he may just be trigger happy on him.

That is only moving 12 sports down if we trade picks. I don't think they would go for that. I just cannot see us throwing away draft picks and ones for the following year. I don't think I can go through that again.

where does it say that Reese is impatient?

I dont think the bears would let him leave anyway

So know what will this mean will he play the possision so nonchalantly? will his fire be doused?

would the bears pay a franchise player to ride the pine?

Briggs has made his unhappiness known in a couple of interviews, one with ESPN.com and another with a Chicago radio station in which he said "I'll do everything that's within my power to not be with this organization."

So can Briggs "retire and then "unretire" to get out from under the bears? and be a street Free agent?

kinda like what Jake Plummer is supposedly doing with the Broncos/Buccaneers

Updated: March 7, 2007, 1:35 AM ET

Briggs not happy with Bears; Angelo feels salary is just

Associated Press

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Disgruntled Pro Bowl linebacker Lance Briggs wants out of Chicago, saying the Bears should remove his franchise player tag or trade him.

6404.jpg

Briggs General manager Jerry Angelo had a message for Briggs on Tuesday: The Bears are expecting him to play with them this season, with a one-year, $7.2 million deal, the average of the top five salaries at his position. "We have his rights, so he's on our football team," Angelo said Tuesday during a conference call to discuss the trade of leading rusher Thomas Jones to the New York Jets.

"We feel that we're treating him very good. That's a lot of money he's making on a one year-deal. The strain really comes to us in terms of our cap and what we have to do for a one-year deal."

Angelo said he had no calls about Briggs from other teams.

"Most of the times when you franchise a player they don't get traded," Angelo said. "We will always listen to anything that we feel will be in our best interest. But when we did this, it was with the intent for him to a Bear this year."

Briggs and the team could not come to agreement on a contract extension last spring -- reports say he turned down a six-year, $33 million deal.

Briggs has made his unhappiness known in a couple of interviews, one with ESPN.com and another with a Chicago radio station in which he said "I'll do everything that's within my power to not be with this organization."

"What it really comes down to, it's not about the money. It's about you've played long enough and you think you've earned a certain position on the team that you would be here for a long time."

Briggs said the Bears have no intention now of working out a long-term deal to keep him.

"We did go to Lance in the spring to try to do a long-term deal. So that was our intent as it has been with other players that we had under contract before their contracts expired," Angelo said.

"We gave it what we feel are our very best efforts. We thought we put a very good deal on the table. And we also told them that the option of the franchise tag was there and they decided to pass the deal up and play it out. We certainly have to respect that. And we also told them that we were going to move on."

Briggs, who's been selected to two Pro Bowls, just completed his fourth season with the Bears and was a third-round draft choice out of Arizona in 2003.

Briggs made $721,600 last season when he led the Bears with 117 solo tackles.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

John Czarnecki / FOXSports.com

Posted: 56 minutes ago

When speaking with personnel directors, the two best available linebackers heading into free agency were Baltimore's Adalius Thomas and Chicago's Lance Briggs. Of course, the Bears placed the franchise tag on Briggs, upsetting the player to no end because he knows Chicago will never offer him a five-year, $35 million contract like Thomas collected from New England.

Thomas turned down a better deal from the San Francisco 49ers, because he didn't want to move to the West Coast. Plus he believes that the Patriots know more about getting to Super Bowls than Mike Nolan's outfit at the present time. Meanwhile, Briggs is doing a slow burn because he played for less than $700,000 this past season, his second consecutive year in the Pro Bowl.

One thing you have to love about the Bears is that they make all their employees play out their contracts. Ted Phillips doesn't play favorites in this area. The team president did it with head coach Lovie Smith and he recently treated running back Thomas Jones so badly that the team simply traded him to the New York Jets for a second-round pick. Upon his arrival, the Jets gave Jones a $12 million signing bonus because he rushed for 3,874 yards the past three seasons in Chicago. The Bears would never consider rewarding a solid player like Jones with that kind of money, especially not when he was under contract for $2.7 million this upcoming season.

It is easy to rip the Bears because all around them the NFL world is throwing $49 million packages at guards and basically losing its financial mind. But the Bears know they don't have to do that because they play in the NFC North. Smith and his team have to worry a little about the Green Bay Packers, but the rest of the division is a joke.

Chicago's biggest problem with Briggs is that to keep him, he should earn more than all-world linebacker Brian Urlacher. Four years ago, Urlacher received the best deal ever given to a linebacker, including a $13 million signing bonus. Well, Jones almost got the same amount from the Jets while Thomas received almost $20 million in guaranteed money. Hey, we all know that Thomas isn't as good as Urlacher, but his ability is close.

What's the solution for Briggs?

Well, he may have to turn into Terrell Owens, which is totally out of character for him. I mean, he's going to have to skip mini-camps like he did a year ago and get fined and basically become a pain in the butt to Smith and the team. His only option is to force their hand, similar to what Deion Branch did last August when he got himself traded to Seattle for a ridiculous contract.

It's the only option for Briggs, who has been a team leader and a very good tackler for the Bears. I know the franchise salary is $7.2 million, but that's not enough for one of the game's best defensive players.

When it comes to franchise players, the system is no longer working. Dwight Freeney is going through the same deal as Briggs is now, except the Colts will attempt to pay Freeney among the game's best defensive players.

Maybe that's the difference between winning the Super Bowl and losing it. The Colts paid their stars and the Bears paid Urlacher and a few other guys while never rewarding Jones and Briggs. The system prevents teams from taking care of everybody in a fair fashion, but Chicago shouldn't utilize the same system to force solid contributors like Briggs and now-departed Jones to be constantly mad at the front office.

Well what i have been reading is a first and a fourth can be a possibility. I pass on giving up a first rounder. Is he really that good? You don't give up a first round pick for a LB.

he wants urlacher money and hes no urlacher. I got all excited when I first heard about his availability, but no way im giving up that much to an unproven.

http://mvn.com/nfl-giants/2007/03/07/bears...gs-other-notes/

Bears Deny Any Talk With Giants About Briggs, Other Notes

By Hazem Kiswani | March 7th, 2007

Print | E-mail

08.jpg Dre Bly - cantonrep.com

Giants fans, I know what you’re going through right now, wishing something would happen that has to do with Big Blue. Sit tight though, things should be heating up very soon. For now, I want to pass along some things I’ve heard over the past 48 hours, and as soon as I get anymore information it will be posted.

- There are conflicting reports coming out of Chicago about Lance Briggs. While Bears GM Jerry Angelo says he expects Briggs to play under the franchise tag whether he wants to or not, other Bears officials have been telling media outlets that Briggs is tradeable, but deny any trade talks taking place with the Giants. To me, this just confirms what I heard about Briggs a couple of days ago. Where there is smoke, there is fire. A final decision on the Briggs situation should come within the next week. If he doesn’t sign a long-term deal with the Bears, which seems very unlikely at this point, expect Briggs to be moved.

- There are whispers that the Giants are in negotiations with several free agents and are just keeping their business behind closed doors and out of the public eye. To me, this seems like an excuse for what is going on in the Giants front office right now. Tom Coughlin (and I’m one of his biggest supporters) seems to be driving away free agent after free agent from even considering the Giants. Reese is very open about what he is doing with the team and what he plans to do, so when I hear that the Giants are doing things out of the public eye, I have a hard time believing it.

- The Giants are very interested in acquiring Dre Bly from the Denver Broncos. There have been preliminary talks, but that’s all at this point. They are competing with a few other teams.

- Tiki Barber gave a lecture at my University today (Stony Brook University). I will post a summary of his lecture and the Q&A Tiki did, along with some photos very soon.

NOW WHAT??????? ok Dre Bly was on the Market we never made an attempt at him so and after he is traded to another team now we go after him??? Briggs we are going after him too???

who are they talking to behind the Public eye? and why? are they anyone on the list I made up I wonder? Time will tell I guess