SportsWrath

BRIGGS WANTS A TRADE! He says he won't play for them again.

boohyah

Why would you want to nulify the O'Hara contract? I like the fact that most of the O Line is coming back intact. They are all familiar with one another. A trade needs to be completed to get Briggs, I don't think the O'Hara contract has any effect on that.

Would he sit out a year? I doubt it.

If he is traded do the Giants have the ability to offer a deal the Bears would take? What would we give up draft picks? We certainly do not have any players we can give up even for a proven talent at one of our biggest holes. I could part with a first rounder and a second day pick though.

I do not see the Bears dropping the tag though.

Why would you want to nulify the O'Hara contract? I like the fact that most of the O Line is coming back intact. They are all familiar with one another. A trade needs to be completed to get Briggs, I don't think the O'Hara contract has any effect on that.

First off the O'Hara comment, I'm joking. In previous e-mails I have agreed with your sentiment.

Secondly, we can trade for Briggs, but we'll still have to pay him top dollar after it's done, so yes the contract O'Hara got would have some effect.

First off the O'Hara comment, I'm joking. In previous e-mails I have agreed with your sentiment.

Secondly, we can trade for Briggs, but we'll still have to pay him top dollar after it's done, so yes the contract O'Hara got would have some effect.

Sorry, my humor meter must be off today. :blush:

he is soposed to get 7.2 mill a year in his tenure but he said he will not sign it he wants out. if he does not sign before June 16th he has to play for the $7.2 million so are there any other options other than a trade ?

can we pay him more than the $7.2 million like say 10 mill for 5 years. (just numbers I am throwing out there people dont jump down my throat).

another question I have is the 7.2 million franchised dollars guaranteed every year for him by the bears if so we could offer less like 30 mill for 4 years maybe ?

with the bears he is only getting 21.6 mill

with the giants he could get 30 mill

aslo do the bears get a right to counter offer? ( if we could even make an offer) I mean they had thier chance already to make good by him but failed.

would he sign ?

can he sign? (nfl Fa rules)

LINK

Briggs Demands to Be Traded

According to Briggs, it's not about the money

According to Briggs, it's not about the money

By John M. Crist

Editor in Chief

Posted Mar 5, 2007

Bears fans were greeted with some very disturbing news on Monday morning. Lance Briggs, fresh off his second Pro Bowl selection, is demanding a trade. He apparently has no intention of signing the one-year tender offered to him as a franchise player even though it is valued at $7.2 million. Briggs is seeking a long-term commitment, but Bears brass does not want to do that at this point.

If Lance Briggs were a character in the movie Office Space, somebody would say that he has a case of the Mondays.

Briggs was a guest of the Mike North Morning Show on WSCR 670AM on Monday morning, and the Pro Bowl linebacker announced that he is demanding a trade and no longer wants to play for the Chicago Bears. He was scheduled to become a free agent this offseason, but the team designated him as its franchise player in order to keep a Super Bowl defense intact. Briggs is guaranteed a hefty raise and entitled to a one-year tender offer of $7.2 million, but he has no intention of signing the offer and wants no part of the organization anymore.

Briggs has no bones to pick with his teammates and apparently enjoys playing for head coach Lovie Smith, but he has continually clashed with the front office.

"There's a difference between the Chicago Bears team and the Chicago Bears organization," Briggs told ESPN.com. "The Chicago Bears team? The coaches, players, city and fans? Yeah, I could stay there forever. I love it. But the Chicago Bears organization? I don't want to be there anymore. I won't play for them and I'll do everything in my power to keep from playing there."

Originally a third-round pick in 2003 out of Arizona, Briggs has blossomed into one of the best outside linebackers in the NFL. Playing alongside former Defensive Player of the Year Brian Urlacher, he has been a Pro-Bowler each of the last two seasons and would certainly have been one of the most highly-coveted free agents had he been able to hit the open market. GM Jerry Angelo had never used the franchise tag in his tenure in Chicago partly because of the animosity it can sometimes create between player and organization, but he was forced to do so after not being able to agree on a contract extension with Briggs and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, before the 2006 campaign.

The free agency period in the NFL opened on Friday, and Briggs was forced to sit back and watch as defensive players like Nate Clements and Adalius Thomas cashed in with big-money deals. Clements, a six-year cornerback with Buffalo, is now the highest-paid defender in the league after signing an eight-year, $80 million contract with San Francisco. Thomas - an outside linebacker like Briggs who has also been to two Pro Bowls - left Baltimore for New England and inked a deal believed to be worth $60 million over six years.

Briggs will be getting a 1000% raise should be sign the tender offer, but what he really covets is the long-term security players like Clements and Thomas now have.

Briggs acknowledged that the Bears have a good thing going, especially on defense, but he simply has to move on at this point.

"It's a great bunch of guys with a great future, but I can't see myself as being part of that future anymore," Briggs said. "Whatever options are available to me, I'll take advantage of them. But going back and playing for the Bears again, no, I don't see that as an option. Not one more day. Not at all."

If the Bears do not sign Briggs to a long-term deal by July 16th, he will be forced to play for the franchise number.

JC

another question I have is the 7.2 million franchised dollars guaranteed every year for him by the bears if so we could offer less like 30 mill for 4 years maybe ?

The tag is only for one year, and the team can't tag a player twice in a row, as I understand it. If Briggs is unhappy he only needs to hang around for next season, then he's completely free.

The tag is only for one year, and the team can't tag a player twice in a row, as I understand it. If Briggs is unhappy he only needs to hang around for next season, then he's completely free.

A: A club can designate one franchise player (or one transition player) in any given year. The salary level offer by a player's club determines what type of franchise player he is. An exclusive franchise player — not free to sign with another club — is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of April 20, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, or the average of the top five salaries at his position as of the end of last season — whichever of the three is greater. If the player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries of last season at his position, or 120 percent of the player’s previous year’s salary, he becomes a non-exclusive franchise player and can negotiate with other clubs. His old club can match a new club's offer, or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match.

so is he just a franchised player or an "exclusive" franchised player ?

also how can a team give up 2 frist round picks if a team only has 1 woul dit be 1st round picks 1 for 2007 and 1 for 2008? I dont see us doing that .

A: A club can designate one franchise player (or one transition player) in any given year. The salary level offer by a player's club determines what type of franchise player he is. An exclusive franchise player — not free to sign with another club — is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of April 20, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, or the average of the top five salaries at his position as of the end of last season — whichever of the three is greater. If the player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries of last season at his position, or 120 percent of the player’s previous year’s salary, he becomes a non-exclusive franchise player and can negotiate with other clubs. His old club can match a new club's offer, or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match.

so is he just a franchised player or an "exclusive" franchised player ?

also how can a team give up 2 frist round picks if a team only has 1 would it be 1st round picks 1 for 2007 and 1 for 2008? I dont see us doing that .

I think so.