SportsWrath

Antonio Pierce

Lughead

giantsBanner.gif

March 01, 2007

Pierce: 'We Need to Bring in Guys Who Are Hungry'

Newspaper space, unlike cyberspace, is not unlimited and unfortunately some excellent, well-written, informative stories simply don't make the cut. But the good news for you is that this blog is like the "bonus features" section on a DVD. You get a few extras that people who only read our newspaper won't see.

Like this – a story on Pro Bowl linebacker Antonio Pierce and the Giants' pursuit of new linebackers that was originally supposed to run last Friday, and then Saturday, and then Sunday, and then Monday … Having run out of time before free agency starts, it is now today's blog entry:

Antonio Pierce was admittedly "shocked" when he stepped off the plane from Hawaii two weeks ago and found 25 text messages telling him that LaVar Arrington and Carlos Emmons had been cut. Suddenly the new Pro Bowler was the only starting linebacker left on the Giants.

But now that the shock has worn off, Pierce is anxious to move on.

"I'm excited to see the character of the guys we bring in," Pierce said. "We need dog-eat-dog kind of guys -- guys who feel like they have everything in the world against them. We don't need guys who have a full belly already. We need to bring in guys who are hungry."

The search for those guys began last week at the NFL scouting combine, but it will really take off tomorrow when the free-agent signing period opens. With two big holes to fill on either side of Pierce, signing a free-agent linebacker will clearly be at the top of the Giants' list.

And even before Emmons and Arrington were cut, Pierce -- who recruited Arrington for the Giants last spring -- already had a couple of players in mind. He was trying hard to sell his old college teammate, Lance Briggs, on the Giants before the Chicago Bears took him off the market by naming him their "franchise player." And at the Pro Bowl he worked overtime to recruit Baltimore's Adalius Thomas hard.

The Giants have apparently been trying, too. Though technically no contact is allowed between teams and free agents, one NFL source said "The Giants have been all over Thomas already … but they're not going to get him."

Pierce reluctantly agreed.

"It sounds like he really wants to stay with the Ravens," Pierce said. "He's happy over there."

If Thomas leaves Baltimore, most of the NFL expects he'll sign with San Francisco. If that happens, it doesn't leave the Giants with many options at a position where they've struggled in recent seasons. If they can't sign Thomas, the best of a bad free-agent lot is Indianapolis' Cato June, who they will almost certainly pursue. The Giants also have high hopes for Gerris Wilkinson, who struggled as a rookie last season, though they'd rather import someone else to at least compete with him.

They could find that competition in the draft, where the Giants have the 20th overall pick. A team source said they've seen several prospects at the combine this week they've deemed worthy of that pick.

And just to make sure the Giants' linebacking corps doesn't regress, Pierce has planned an intense offseason designed to bring him to camp in July in the best shape of his life. Though he said he'll spend "the majority of time" working out at Giants Stadium, he does plan to work out some in Miami with tight Jeremy Shockey, whom Pierce said always returns from his private workouts "looking like a Greek god."

"Just look at Shockey," Pierce said. "He comes back and he is ripped. I see him and think 'What the hell do they do in Miami?' I want to do the same thing."

Pierce not only plans to come back ripped, he also plans to come back hungry. He may have finally made the Pro Bowl in his sixth season, but he knows he was an alternate who only went because injured Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher pulled out. That's enough of a slight to make sure the huge chip on Pierce's shoulder is even bigger than it ever was.

"That's because I'm more excited to get back there again," he said. "I always said that I felt I should be voted in. I want to be a starter. So I still carry the grudge."

Be sure to check back later for the latest on the down-to-the-wire negotiations between the Giants and Shaun O'Hara. It doesn't look good, but I still think they're so close – one source said the difference is less than $150,000 per year in salary – that cooler heads will eventually prevail and this will get done.

Also, keep clicking tomorrow for all-day updates on what is always a wild first day of the free-agent signing period. The market opens at 12:01 a.m. The blog opens whenever I get out of bed in the morning.

Peirce Is becoming( has been actually) the heart of the Giants Defence . I like the fact that he gives the team owners insight on player's he has played against or with in the past . I love the fact that He is more hungry than before . I hope the rest of the D can get as Hungary as he is . One question, did L.A. come here with a full Belly?

I hope A.P does well in Florida. Let the ( Shockey /burress....now pierce ) working in Miami and not with the "TEAM " rest please , at least until after the season starts and we can see how it helped or hindered A.P.. If it helped I would take the whole damn team down to Miami for the off season .

Peirce Is becoming( has been actually) the heart of the Giants Defence . I like the fact that he gives the team owners insight on player's he has played against or with in the past . I love the fact that He is more hungry than before . I hope the rest of the D can get as Hungary as he is . One question, did L.A. come here with a full Belly?

I hope A.P does well in Florida. Let the ( Shockey /burress....now pierce ) working in Miami and not with the "TEAM " rest please , at least until after the season starts and we can see how it helped or hindered A.P.. If it helped I would take the whole damn team down to Miami for the off season .

Hell for now I would want them all to go to Miami for conditioning .... or do Tiki's program, because the people we have had as our official strength and conditioning proles suck big time.

I think that by cutting Arrington Reese made a huge mistake. Now all we have is one starter and other players with no experience, we might be fucked. <_<

I didn't understand the move either. It was my understanding he wasn't going to making a big paycheck, his rehab was coming along, and he was saying the right things about being a team-oriented player. Oft-injured he may be, but like you said we now have no starters except Pierce.

I didn't understand the move either. It was my understanding he wasn't going to making a big paycheck, his rehab was coming along, and he was saying the right things about being a team-oriented player. Oft-injured he may be, but like you said we now have no starters except Pierce.

The only thing I could think off for a reason is to spite E.A. Cause no one wanted him here (front office) but E.A. pulled the trigger anyway. but then with his finaly showing promise and buy cutting him only put another hole in our swisscheese D . Also creating another spot to fill in FA or the draft. we will see how it plays out maybe by next week we will have that hole plugged.

The only thing I could think off for a reason is to spite E.A. Cause no one wanted him here (front office) but E.A. pulled the trigger anyway. but then with his finaly showing promise and buy cutting him only put another hole in our swisscheese D . Also creating another spot to fill in FA or the draft. we will see how it plays out maybe by next week we will have that hole plugged.

Exactly. And I unfortunetaly do not see the Giants making any big splashes in free agency this year. Too few talented players, too many teams with cash to spend, and the Giants have TC as their coach. Not a likely destination for anyone.

Exactly. And I unfortunetaly do not see the Giants making any big splashes in free agency this year. Too few talented players, too many teams with cash to spend, and the Giants have TC as their coach. Not a likely destination for anyone.

do you also get the feeling that Reese is setting up Coughlin for failure?

You ever hear the expression, "Dont cut you nose off to spite your face." That would apply here.

You ever hear the expression, "Dont cut you nose off to spite your face." That would apply here.

hurting myself or others? Christ guys, I just made my own observation and my opinion on the matters. I can't be positive all the time. Sorry, that is how I am feeling at the moment. I don't have a lot of confidence in this team for the coming year.

Coughlin did a good job of that himself . Had Reese been "in power" before the Mara's/Tish's gave him an extention he may of pursuaded John to swing the axe. But then again Coughlin was "Dad's" guy so its a little hard to say . If Coughlin fails it's not on Reese's head ,it's (the 2007 season) is on John'shead but if/when that happens Reese surely wont be affraid to start swinging .

hurting myself or others? Christ guys, I just made my own observation and my opinion on the matters. I can't be positive all the time. Sorry, that is how I am feeling at the moment. I don't have a lot of confidence in this team for the coming year.

:LMAO: I thought that yhing about Reese setting TC up forfailure was serious, sorry :LMAO:

We need a middle linebacker who can occasionally cover a tight end...

Well actually its a defensive end's job to knock him on his ass if he leaves the line of scrimmage.

Well actually its a defensive end's job to knock him on his ass if he leaves the line of scrimmage.

We need a DE who can knock the TE on his ass every time he leaves the line of scrimmage so Pierce won't get burned...