SportsWrath

Strahan traded to washington? Rumor

Lughead

Rumor Link

Leaving New York: Strahan to Washington Rumors Have Steam?

Posted Feb 26th 2007 7:23PM by Dan Benton

Filed under: NY Giants, Redskins, NFC East, NFL Rumors

Originally I passed this rumor off like, well, a rumor. How foolish does "Michael Strahan headed to the Redskins" sound? I first saw this mentioned on Pro Football Talk this morning and then on Big Blue Interactive a bit later. It still seemed like nothing but chit-chat to me until tonight while I was watching NFL Network.

They reported that Jerry Reese and the Giants front office have requested a sit-down with Strahan to discuss his immediate future and to see how he's healing from his injury. They also mentioned that some possibly restructuring may be in order and if not, "something else" may be done and that Strahan would "fit in" with the Redskins.

Either NFL Network executives are spending too much time on the internet or this rumor really has some legs. When the Giants had "Bloody Monday" many expected Strahan to be the next player cut. His cap number is gigantic, he's getting up there in age and he's been suffering from a ton of injuries. So while it actually makes sense, I hope it's not true. I think Strahan has a few good years left in the tank if he could stay healthy. Even if he can't, I wouldn't want the Giants to risk letting him go to a division rival.

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments [3]

for their first round pick? Are they that stupid? Why would you think about trading your first round pick for an aging defensive end not in his prime anymore and injury prone. I don't know how any of this is true, take it as a grain of salt. AND his contract, come on now.

whats wrong with the title thread? It says rumor.

The thread title basically says, "according to a rumor Strahan has been traded." And that is not the case, not even close. I got a heart attack reading this to because according to this thread title, one source says Strahan is gone.

Just add a ? mark to it. Strahan trade talks... something like that.

Strahan needs to stay. The Giants are still not ready for life without him. Osi was a non-factor after he came back without Strahan on the other side. Kiwanuka has a way to go and needs to put on some bulk. We haven't seen exactly how much Tuck can do. We had no fucking pressure on the QB without Strahan, our record without him is horrendous. If there is one injury-prone veteran we should keep it's Strahan. I'd get rid of Toomer before Big Mike.

GIANTS looking to sweeten the Strahan deal LINK

Strahan Looking For More

By Dan Benton | February 27th, 2007

Print | E-mail

Strahan - JSOnline.com / AP

We’ve all heard about “the meeting” that the Giants and Michael Strahan are going to have soon - presumably Friday. Originally it was thought that the Giants would be looking to restructure Strahan’s contract to save additional money towards the cap but now that seems to be up in the air. In fact, Strahan appears to be going into this meeting looking for a raise!

According to the Daily News report, the Giants are open to possibly “sweetening the deal” but will not break the bank on the aging, oft-injured starter. At the same time, barring a set-back in his rehab he’s not in danger of losing his job or being released/traded - so the Strahan to Redskins rumors can be put to rest.

I have always been a Strahan fan but I have no idea what this guy is thinking. He’s missed 15 regular season games and one playoff game the last three seasons - how the hell can you ask for a raise? I honestly hope the Giants and Jerry Reese don’t give him anything extra; at this point he doesn’t deserve it.

LINK

Strahan wants to plan for future

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Michael Strahan:

Michael Strahan plans to have a meeting in the coming days with new Giants GM Jerry Reese to discuss, among other things, the possibility of renegotiating or extending his contract and his long-term future with the team.

Strahan has two years and $8 million left on his contract, but he's 35 and according to sources he wants to know how much longer the Giants want and expect him to keep playing. A person who has spoken with him recently described his future plans as "year to year."

He also likely will be asking for more money at the meeting, which also will be attended by his agent, Tony Agnone. With the salary cap having risen dramatically the last two years, Strahan is a relative bargain for the Giants. But given his age, and considering he's lost half a season to injuries (a torn pec, a sprained foot) in two of the last three years, the Giants have no interest in extending his contract.

They are open to a creative restructuring and possibly sweetening the deal a little, according to a source. But they're not desperate to do it since they'll begin the free-agent signing period on Friday approximately $20 million under the salary cap.

Barring a major setback in his recovery from the foot sprain that limited him to nine games last season, Strahan is not in danger of being cut or traded. At the combine last week, Tom Coughlin said Strahan is progressing well in his rehabilitation and will not need surgery. Both Reese and Coughlin insisted they had no more cuts planned for now.

Flashes:

O'HARA WAITS: C Shaun O'Hara is considering the Giants' take-it-or-leave-it, six-year, $21.6 million offer. It's possible his side will attempt to reopen talks before Friday. ... TE Visanthe Shiancoe, a free agent, is not expected to be re-signed.

I dont know what will happen here with O'Hara. sounds like he still wants more money? but come on a 6 year deal worth 21.6 million plus $6.5 million guaranteed. (28.1 mill over 6 years would make me happy)

oh here is the LINK to O'hara hes on the bottom part of story Strahan is at the top

I could not see Reese getting rid of Strahan... except he is a media whore and with the other Camera Dive Tiki out of the locker room this might be Coughlin's chance to slam his iron fist.

But Strahan is one of the most beloved Giants and has been a defensive centerpiece on a team that historically prides itself on D.

Do you think he would hold out if they did not restructure his contract? Short of that there should be no reason to re-negotiate, especailly up!

for their first round pick? Are they that stupid? Why would you think about trading your first round pick for an aging defensive end not in his prime anymore and injury prone. I don't know how any of this is true, take it as a grain of salt. AND his contract, come on now.

Plus they are a division rival so that never makes sense to me.

I dont know what will happen here with O'Hara. sounds like he still wants more money? but come on a 6 year deal worth 21.6 million plus $6.5 million guaranteed. (28.1 mill over 6 years would make me happy)

oh here is the LINK to O'hara hes on the bottom part of story Strahan is at the top

I hate to say it, but I hope O'Hara leaves. Having Suerburt at Center would be a major upgrade.

I hate to say it, but I hope O'Hara leaves. Having Suerburt at Center would be a major upgrade.

I've never been in love with O'Hara either. If he doesn't take this offer... don't let the door hit you on the way out, Sean.

I'd say keep Strahan, but with no raise. What is he, nuts?

I've never been in love with O'Hara either. If he doesn't take this offer... don't let the door hit you on the way out, Sean.

starting over on his retirement funds after the divorce cleaning.

No, just fucked. Right now, Ex-Mrs. Strahan is dancing to the balling song.

Washington Post: Michael Strahan Asks to be Traded

Posted Mar 2nd 2007 2:11PM by Dan Benton

Filed under: NY Giants, NFC East, NFL Rumors, New York, NFL Free Agency

michael-strahan-245.jpgEarlier in the week I mentioned that the Giants and Michael Strahan would have a meeting about his future. Well, that meeting has come and gone and the thought was that everything went fine. In fact, a report stated that money did not even come up and it was more like an annual meeting the two sides have.

However, the Washington Post is now reporting that Michael Strahan has asked the Giants to be traded. I for one have not heard this anywhere else so I was completely taken back by that news. I honestly have a hard time believing it because if that was the case New York papers would have been all over it. But who am I to say a major newspaper is wrong?

From the report:

In something of a long shot, the Redskins also could be in the running for left defensive end Michael Strahan, who met with New York Giants officials this week in an attempt to be traded. Strahan has two years left on his current contract.

If Strahan truly wants to be traded then I think the Giants should just do it. Get what they can for him and save some money against the cap. My only problem would be if they traded him to a division rival because I think he does have a good year or two left.

seems the washington post maybe the root of the rumor if you ask me