SportsWrath

Milledge Looks Up To Franco

Blue Jeans

From Metsblog.

Lastings Milledge has sought out Julio Franco, who started acting as Milledge’s mentor towards the end of last season, according to John Delcos at his blog for the Journal News, as well as Steve Popper at his blog for the Bergen Record.

At MLB.com, Marty Noble notes that the Mets briefly considered bringing in Frank Robinson to mentor Milledge and team’s other young players.

Franco, while talking with reporters about Milledge…

“We’re going to pick it up right where we left off. He’s willing to learn, he’s willing work hard and we have the whole spring training ahead of us.

“I believe he's going to be a great ballplayer.”

At his blog for Newsday, David Lennon wonders whether the Mets will be willing to start Milledge over Shawn Green, assuming the young outfielder out-performs the veteran, who is due $4 million in the final year of his contract.

Cool :).

Sweet. Martinez Milledge and Beltran will be a sick outfield.

But what happens to Gomez?

Gomez is probably ready this year, and a lot of people are expecting him to be better than Milledge. You can't really expect all of them to pan out, but competition is a great thing.

And all of them being center-fielders doesn't hurt, either.

Gomez is probably ready this year, and a lot of people are expecting him to be better than Milledge. You can't really expect all of them to pan out, but competition is a great thing.

And all of them being center-fielders doesn't hurt, either.

How great would it be if we can get one of those 3 prospects to play a good 2nd base.

It's a long shot, but that's by far our worst position in the majors and farm system and there's not exactly a great crop of FA 2nd basemen in most off-seasons.

How great would it be if we can get one of those 3 prospects to play a good 2nd base.

It's a long shot, but that's by far our worst position in the majors and farm system and there's not exactly a great crop of FA 2nd basemen in most off-seasons.

I don't know why I'm saying this, because I cannot stand this guy for his lip licking habit, but I think the Mets should have signed Ronnie Belliard.

Oh, but there were a crapload of 2b this past offseason...Loretta, Belliard, Cairo, DeRosa, Adam Kennedy, Giles (via trade)...etc.

:rolleyes:

The Rangers are gona everything possible to keep Young.

But on the chance Mike isn't resigned, he'll sign somewhere as a SS. He made the move for the betterment of the Rangers and has established himself as a premeir SS in MLB. SS is a more glamorous position than 2B and is more often than not the leader of the defense, especially infield (other than cather but thats a different catagory). Plus, if he hits the market, there will be plety of offers to him to play SS, so he won't have to switch positions twice in his career as a pro.

But on the chance Mike isn't resigned, he'll sign somewhere as a SS. He made the move for the betterment of the Rangers and has established himself as a premeir SS in MLB. SS is a more glamorous position than 2B and is more often than not the leader of the defense, especially infield (other than cather but thats a different catagory). Plus, if he hits the market, there will be plety of offers to him to play SS, so he won't have to switch positions twice in his career as a pro.

It's all about the money. You know that.

If we offer him the $$$ he may do what we ask.

Maybe, but my bet is he'll take a few mill less to stay at SS, there will be plenty of people offering him close to what the Mets could, and want him at SS.

I see the Red Sox being one of those teams. The Mets, Yankees and probably the Phils are the few teams that Young might move to 2B for if the dollar values equal that to play SS. My guess is Boston makes a huge push or he stays a Ranger, which considering his numbers hitting in that park would be his best bet IMO.

I see the Red Sox being one of those teams. The Mets, Yankees and probably the Phils are the few teams that Young might move to 2B for if the dollar values equal that to play SS. My guess is Boston makes a huge push or he stays a Ranger, which considering his numbers hitting in that park would be his best bet IMO.

Unless Pedroia takes a nosedive, I don't see the Sox moving for Michael Young at all. The position change aside, the Sox have a payroll that's significantly higher than they want and despite losing Clement's 9.5 million, Lowell's 9 million, and possibly Schilling's 13 million, I don't see the Sox doing anything at second. Clement's a non-issue and it'll just be saved money as soon as he's gone but the Red Sox will need a third baseman if Lowell leaves after the season. Either they resign him at market value, which unfortunately, will probably be about the 9 million he's at now, they sign someone (2008 FA is weak at 3b), trade for someone during the offseason, or move Youkilis back to third and train Pena to play first. I mean, of course that's a lot of options, but looking at Lowell's nosedive in the second half last year, he'll have to prove himself to at least earn what he'll earn this year. In respect to Schilling, I expect him to resign with the Sox in the offseason if he does well this season to A. Give him a HoF chance as a Red Sox and B. Just to have a leader on the pitching staff. A lot depends on the performances of the Sox' rotation and Lester in AAA. If Lester's ready though, wow, we could save 13 million in the rotation and still get damn good production. But yah, my basic point, Boston won't be pursuing Michael Young.

I'm not saying he absolutely wouldn't change, and I think he'd love to play i the New York market, or Boston, i just think as hard as he worked to get where he is at SS, he'd take a serious look at teams offering him reasonable contracts and let him stay at SS.

But if Daniels has any brain at all, he'll just send Mike a blank check and be done with it.