SportsWrath

Pierce Headed to Hawaii

http://www.giants.com/news/eisen/story.asp?story_id=24336

J

anuary 5, 2007

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – The Giants will have a defensive player in this week’s Pro Bowl after all.

“This is something that I have been waiting to get to since I have been a starter...It is an honor that I will take and carry with me for the rest of my career. I credit our defense, because without our defensive line and everybody else, I wouldn’t be the player I am. This is a great moment for me.”

- LB Antonio Pierce

Middle linebacker Antonio Pierce learned today he has been selected to join the NFC team for Saturday’s all-star game in Honolulu. He replaces Brian Urlacher of the NFC champion Chicago Bears. Urlacher suffered a toe injury in the Bears’ 29-17 Super Bowl XLI loss last night to the Indianapolis Colts.

It will be the first Pro Bowl for Pierce, who has made no secret of his desire to play in the game to validate his standing as one of the NFL’s best middle linebackers.

“I am too excited to even think about it,” Pierce said of his selection “This is something that I have been waiting to get to since I have been a starter. It does not matter how you get there, as an alternate or a starter. It is an honor that I will take and carry with me for the rest of my career. I credit our defense, because without our defensive line and everybody else, I wouldn’t be the player I am. This is a great moment for me.”

Pierce, who was originally selected as an alternate, becomes the third Giants player selected to this season’s Pro Bowl, but only two of them will play. Tiki Barber, the Giants’ record-setting running back, will play in his third Pro Bowl. It will be his final pro football game; Barber has announced his retirement.

Tight end Jeremy Shockey was selected to the Pro Bowl for the fourth time in his five-year career. But he will not play Saturday because of an ankle injury and has been replaced on the NFC team by Dallas’ Jason Witten.

Pierce just completed his sixth NFL season and second with the Giants, whom he joined as a free agent on March 3, 2005. He led the Giants with 159 tackles (93 solo) and also had a sack, an interception, 11 passes defensed, a forced fumble and two fumble recoveries for a team that earned its second consecutive postseason berth.

Pierce was at his California home at 8:30 this morning when he learned he had been chosen to replace Urlacher. He will leave for Honolulu tomorrow afternoon.

This is the second year in a row an injury suffered by Urlacher has opened the door for Pierce. But last year, he was unable to walk through.

A late injury forced Urlacher to drop out of the Prop Bowl last season. The NFL’s first choice to replace him was Pierce, who was voted the first alternate at the position.

But Pierce had missed the final four games, including the Giants’ postseason loss to Carolina, with a serious ankle injury.

Because of the injury, he needed medical clearance to play in the game. After a thorough examination by the Giants’ athletic trainers, it was decided the safe and smart course of action was for Pierce not to play.

“When they asked if I was willing to play I said, ‘Yeah, as long as the doctors clear me,’” Pierce said. “But the best decision was for me not to play. At that time I just started working out and just let my ankle heal some more.”

This year, Pierce is healthy and will realize his dream of playing in the Pro Bowl.

I wonder if Briggs is going to the pro bowl. Maybe those two can have a nice chat.

Players have chats all the time. Briggs coming to the Giants is becoming a real possibility. I was surprised that peirce is second to Urlacher in the NFC but I do know Peirce is a very solid MLB. Good for him. It's kinda hard to compete with a guy like Urlacher.

Players have chats all the time. Briggs coming to the Giants is becoming a real possibility. I was surprised that peirce is second to Urlacher in the NFC but I do know Peirce is a very solid MLB. Good for him. It's kinda hard to compete with a guy like Urlacher.

ANd as long as the fans do the voting it will always be Urlacher. He is the bigger name. It's just a popularity contest. Fan voting discredits everything as far as I'm concerned. Players that deserve to get in get snubbed for players that are more popular.

:TD:

ANd as long as the fans do the voting it will always be Urlacher. He is the bigger name. It's just a popularity contest. Fan voting discredits everything as far as I'm concerned. Players that deserve to get in get snubbed for players that are more popular.

It should be heavily weighted towards coaches and players making the selections...if not completely removing the fans from the voting process.

Example #1: Michael Vick getting in year after year of substandard performances.

Example #2: Tony Romo. 'nough said.