SportsWrath

Ernie Accorsi

Lughead

Trey Junkin: Isn't it time to cut this guy a break? He came out of retirement a week before the game--and he should never have been in the position he was. You want a lineman? How about Ian Allen, or Tam Hopkins? I realize that pulling Junkin out of retirement is in reality damning to Accorsi, but I hate to see this guys name get smeared over a play that should never have been necessary in the first place.

Will Peterson: The guy wasn't bad, just injured. Gotta go with the constantly injured, limited first rounder instead--Shaun Williams.

Have to add:

Tim Carter: Accorsi loves this guy, but when he's not on IR, he's seen more dropped balls than the dormitory of an all boys prep school.

Barrett Green: Never saw an IR list he could pass up. (EDIT: You know what? Blaming Accorsi for Green's knees going to hell isn't exactly fair. Never mind on this. Although he did have a rep for getting dinged up in Detroit.)

Brian Mitchell? Dorsey Levens?: Gran'pa? This was before he realized that maybe getting FAs whose peak was in the same decade you were hiring them was maybe a good idea.

Jason Sehorn contract: yeesh.

On the good:

Mike Barrow: Not likely to be remembered in the pantheon of great Giants linebackers, but he was good, and gave us his all even when that wasn't really good enough.

David Diehl: may never be a pro-bowler, but I don't think there's many linemen in the league as versatile as he's been--a complete steal considering where we got him.

Rich Seubert: Was a potential pro-bowler before getting injured. Came back from an injury when nobody thought he could. Now has gotten on the field as a TE, and might be our starting center next season. You don't have to like him, but you do have to respect this guy.

Kerry Collins: Very uneven player that should have been a stop-gap rather than a starter for as long as he was. That we got as much out of him as we did is more of a testament to (brace yourself, Midas) Fassel, rather than Accorsi. I don't know if I would want him on my list of "best things I've done" if I were a GM.

Cornelius Griffin: Decent draft pick up, a talented player. Injured too often, and not worth the money the Redskins paid for him. A good draft pick, and beside the pro bowl visit, a good decision to let him go.

on the Undecided:

2000 OLine: The good news was that he picked up old guys cheap in the twilight of their careers and still got a superbowl run out of them; the bad news is that he didn't draft players below them to prep for their retirement.

Trey Junkin: Isn't it time to cut this guy a break? He came out of retirement a week before the game--and he should never have been in the position he was. You want a lineman? How about Ian Allen, or Tam Hopkins? I realize that pulling Junkin out of retirement is in reality damning to Accorsi, but I hate to see this guys name get smeared over a play that should never have been necessary in the first place.

Will Peterson: The guy wasn't bad, just injured. Gotta go with the constantly injured, limited first rounder instead--Shaun Williams.

Have to add:

Tim Carter: Accorsi loves this guy, but when he's not on IR, he's seen more dropped balls than the dormitory of an all boys prep school.

Barrett Green: Never saw an IR list he could pass up. (EDIT: You know what? Blaming Accorsi for Green's knees going to hell isn't exactly fair. Never mind on this. Although he did have a rep for getting dinged up in Detroit.)

Brian Mitchell? Dorsey Levens?: Gran'pa? This was before he realized that maybe getting FAs whose peak was in the same decade you were hiring them was maybe a good idea.

Jason Sehorn contract: yeesh.

On the good:

Mike Barrow: Not likely to be remembered in the pantheon of great Giants linebackers, but he was good, and gave us his all even when that wasn't really good enough.

David Diehl: may never be a pro-bowler, but I don't think there's many linemen in the league as versatile as he's been--a complete steal considering where we got him.

Rich Seubert: Was a potential pro-bowler before getting injured. Came back from an injury when nobody thought he could. Now has gotten on the field as a TE, and might be our starting center next season. You don't have to like him, but you do have to respect this guy.

Kerry Collins: Very uneven player that should have been a stop-gap rather than a starter for as long as he was. That we got as much out of him as we did is more of a testament to (brace yourself, Midas) Fassel, rather than Accorsi. I don't know if I would want him on my list of "best things I've done" if I were a GM.

Cornelius Griffin: Decent draft pick up, a talented player. Injured too often, and not worth the money the Redskins paid for him. A good draft pick, and beside the pro bowl visit, a good decision to let him go.

on the Undecided:

2000 OLine: The good news was that he picked up old guys cheap in the twilight of their careers and still got a superbowl run out of them; the bad news is that he didn't draft players below them to prep for their retirement.

You know, sometimes a GM gets blamed for a move when it doesn't work out but in fairness to EA, the pick ups of Brian Mitchell and Dorsey Levens were at the time, good pickups. The fact that they completely bombed while they were here, was something none of us could have predicted to be fair, I think everyone was stoked he picked them up at the time.

Also, the one problem I had with EA was his seeming ignorance to dealing with the kicking game years ago. No team should have to play any season with Matt Bryant as your kicker and Matt Allen as your punter. The kicking game was brutal while those 2 guys were playing, they were clearly picked off the scrap heap.

You know, sometimes a GM gets blamed for a move when it doesn't work out but in fairness to EA, the pick ups of Brian Mitchell and Dorsey Levens were at the time, good pickups. The fact that they completely bombed while they were here, was something none of us could have predicted to be fair, I think everyone was stoked he picked them up at the time.

Also, the one problem I had with EA was his seeming ignorance to dealing with the kicking game years ago. No team should have to play any season with Matt Bryant as your kicker and Matt Allen as your punter. The kicking game was brutal while those 2 guys were playing, they were clearly picked off the scrap heap.

I was pretty indifferent to those pickups, but I guess lambasting EA over them isn't really fair, either. Besides, Levens did ok in Pitt after us, so it may have been due to that Oline that he stunk it up on this team.