SportsWrath

What a steal, 6.5 mill for Dontrelle?

fringe

Why would he agree to this?

(SA)

Miami - Southpaw pitcher Dontrelle Willis, who helped make Florida a surprise playoff contender last year, signed a one-year Major League Baseball contract on Monday to remain with the Marlins.

The deal, worth a reported $6.45m, allows the Marlins, who spent only $15m on salaries last year, to avoid an arbitration fight that could cost them dearly.

Willis, 25, won 22 games in 2005 but slid to 12-12 with a 3.87 earned-run average last season. He helped the youngest club in the major leagues fight for a playoff spot into the final weeks of the season before ending 78-84.

Willis, among the best pitchers when batting, is the career Marlins leader with 58 triumphs and 15 complete games and a co-leader with eight shutouts. His 223 1/3 innings pitched last year were fifth-most in the National League.

I'll bet they would've liked to go a little longer, and would've given him a little more money, if not for the DWI. Either way, it gives him decent money for this year, and he's very tradeable should they wanna go that route.

he would have gotten ~12 mill in arbitration, even with the piss incident.

Yeah, but I expect the Marlins to be second in the NL East this year, 13 games behind the Mets, of course.

if the phillies are in 2nd and the marlins in last, they might trade dontrelle to tthe mets. although i think he wants to come back west for the long term.

I'll bet they would've liked to go a little longer, and would've given him a little more money, if not for the DWI. Either way, it gives him decent money for this year, and he's very tradeable should they wanna go that route.

... to the Mets. :TU:

he would have gotten ~12 mill in arbitration, even with the piss incident.

I'm not sure about that. While he's extremely valuable because every other team would love to have him, arbitrations are based on stats, and he's coming off a .500 season with a 3.84 ERA. That's not stellar. Plus he's only got 4 years under his belt. Guys don't usually hit the big payday until year 6 or so.

I'm not sure about that. While he's extremely valuable because every other team would love to have him, arbitrations are based on stats, and he's coming off a .500 season with a 3.84 ERA. That's not stellar. Plus he's only got 4 years under his belt. Guys don't usually hit the big payday until year 6 or so.

exactly, i dont see why this is so surprising. He really didn't have much choice here.

exactly, i dont see why this is so surprising. He really didn't have much choice here.

of course he had a choice, which was arbitration. florida was deatly afraid of that, so obviously he had a good chance of winning.

of course he had a choice, which was arbitration. florida was deatly afraid of that, so obviously he had a good chance of winning.

he's not the type to go crazy over a million. He gets so much in endorsements. There are really only a few black superstars in baseball. Him, Bonds, Sheffield and Torri Hunter. Half of those guys are hated by the fans. Baseball tries very hard to market Willis and Hunter to kids. I'm sure he's living off a good amount of endorsements right now. He's also going to a get huge payday soon even if he fucks up his shoulder and doesn't pitch next year. Besides arbitration can get ugly and very awkward for teams and their players.

he's not the type to go crazy over a million. He gets so much in endorsements. There are really only a few black superstars in baseball. Him, Bonds, Sheffield and Torri Hunter. Half of those guys are hated by the fans. Baseball tries very hard to market Willis and Hunter to kids. I'm sure he's living off a good amount of endorsements right now. He's also going to a get huge payday soon even if he fucks up his shoulder and doesn't pitch next year. Besides arbitration can get ugly and very awkward for teams and their players.

You forgot about Ryan Howard who could be the biggest black superstar for years to come.

i agree that hes not the type, but you said he had little choice. he had a choice and he chose not to go for arbitration. partly because of his little piss incident. he wanted to smooth over his rep. but that wouldn't have mattered to an arbitrator, they just go by what the market is.