SportsWrath

Was Keeping Coughlin the right move?

Herc

Was keeping Coughlin the right move?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Was keeping Coughlin the right move?

• yes
    • no

Make me! :flex: It's a possibility.. are you friends with Mara? Did he tell you that? who knows....all I know is the Giants better shape the fuck up.

Face it, Jr. Mara is an idiot. Thats his legacy... IDIOT. If he is planning on booting TC next season for Cowher or Weis(when ND tanks next season), then I'll look at him differently but you do not keep an underachieving coach who barks bigger than his bite. It's a slap in the fans' faces.

Everyone needs to shut up about Cowher. Mara did not keep TC another year in an atempt to get Cowher next year. It will be a cold day in hell when this FO makes a wise decision.

For what it's worth, "West Coast Bias", a local ESPN Radio show out here said today that Pete Carol was interested in the Giants HC job had TC been kicked out.

I've being bringing up Pete Carroll all along.

And it seems Pete interest is peaking if the Miami job is any indication.

I voted yes. Keep him one more year and when Cowher comes out of retirement next year........WE GET HIM!! Why get rid of Coughlin now? Who are you going to give his job to, that you're not going to want to fire next year? NOBODY. Keep Coughlin one more year and scoop up Cowher......Cause you know he will be on the market next year and he will get 4x what the Steelers paid him.

You can't wait one year for a coach like that. It's not fair to the players to submit them what may well be a lame duck season now. how many years does Stra have?. What about Amani?.

How many guys are going to want to stay here next year?. Seriously, I'm sure that when Shaun O'hara free agency comes up, this factors into his decision and he may well leave. And what free agents are going to be enticed here now, knowing the situation.

The Giants FO had a chance to step up today and say, fuck this, we have to make changes, we've invested in this team heavily, we must make it work, Tom has to go, interview guys, make them want to come coach the Giants. The last time we did interview's they did 2, Coughlin and Lovie Smith and Lovie was the "black coach "interview", he was never getting the job (what a mistake that was). Spend the fucking money and entice them here. the potential is here, we need some more pieces but we really aren't that far away. Pete Carroll has his ears cocked, Charlie Weis has said he would like the job. Ron Rivera could come in and do a good job. If you pony up the money, they could very well end up here.

This bullshit knocks the Jets off the perch as "New York's footballing joke" and puts us right there. It's a real shame.

You can't wait one year for a coach like that. It's not fair to the players to submit them what may well be a lame duck season now. how many years does Stra have?. What about Amani?.

How many guys are going to want to stay here next year?. Seriously, I'm sure that when Shaun O'hara free agency comes up, this factors into his decision and he may well leave. And what free agents are going to be enticed here now, knowing the situation.

The Giants FO had a chance to step up today and say, fuck this, we have to make changes, we've invested in this team heavily, we must make it work, Tom has to go, interview guys, make them want to come coach the Giants. The last time we did interview's they did 2, Coughlin and Lovie Smith and Lovie was the "black coach "interview", he was never getting the job (what a mistake that was). Spend the fucking money and entice them here. the potential is here, we need some more pieces but we really aren't that far away. Pete Carroll has his ears cocked, Charlie Weis has said he would like the job. Ron Rivera could come in and do a good job. If you pony up the money, they could very well end up here.

This bullshit knocks the Jets off the perch as "New York's footballing joke" and puts us right there. It's a real shame.

:clap:

Everyone needs to shut up about Cowher. Mara did not keep TC another year in an atempt to get Cowher next year. It will be a cold day in hell when this FO makes a wise decision.

For what it's worth, "West Coast Bias", a local ESPN Radio show out here said today that Pete Carol was interested in the Giants HC job had TC been kicked out.

Unfortunately Carroll had a lousy experience in the NFL. Holtz had a lousy experience as did Spurrier. I'm not sure what makes a great NFL Coach different from a great college coach but there must be significant differences or those 3 all would have been great NFL coaches.

I do believe there are several assistants who are more than ready to be head coaches also the Falcons took Petrino, I'd give the guy from Boise State a shot. Was there a better college game than that all year if not all time? It also demonstrates why we should have a playoff what with the Big 10 being shown up to be a weak conference and LSU and USC playing like #1's.

Right on man! If it was a legitimate interview with Lovie we would have one of the top defenses right now. He is the anti-Coach Cheerleader, he is calm, composed, does not call his players out in destructive ways, has an actual game plan for each team he plays, hires capable assistants, is able to make adjustments and best of all is not a retread. Maybe if he played up any Irish ancestry and played a round or two with Papa Wel he might have the job now. I knew the Giants were not serious about hiring him the minute he was interviewed. Even Romeo Crennel was a better choice than retread Coughlin. I mean how can you be so gah gah over a guy who originally rejected us to stay at Boston College? And then when he needed a job he became the savior. Pathetic.

Unfortunately Carroll had a lousy experience in the NFL. Holtz had a lousy experience as did Spurrier. I'm not sure what makes a great NFL Coach different from a great college coach but there must be significant differences or those 3 all would have been great NFL coaches.

I do believe there are several assistants who are more than ready to be head coaches also the Falcons took Petrino, I'd give the guy from Boise State a shot. Was there a better college game than that all year if not all time? It also demonstrates why we should have a playoff what with the Big 10 being shown up to be a weak conference and LSU and USC playing like #1's.

How's it going Charles.

I just think Carroll is a much better coach now and USC play a pro style as it is. All of the guys that Carroll has coached that have been drafted are NFL ready. 2 national championship games and a Rose Bowl in 3 years is impressive. I think he'd be a big improvemnet over Tom.

I voted "no", and here's why:

They say they didn't want Coughlin to be a "lame duck", yet that is exactly what they have created. Coughlin may have gotten an extension, but it's pretty clear the organization is waiting for a better crop of HC's next year, or they would have squashed any rumors earlier than yesterday, and making Coughlin sweat it out. So everyone knows (or suspects) Coughlin's out anyway. No decent free agent is going to want to risk coming here thinking he'll have to wait a year (and risk injury) for a better coach. Tiki's gone, Eli's regressed, the D stinks, and our conditioning is horrid. We're not going to be much better next year with Coughlin, why not just invest the $'s now to get a better coach, and give him some of the talent we have left before that disintergrates as well. Toomer, Strah, Pettigout may not / may not BE ABLE to hang around til '09-'10 for a shot at the 'Bowl. We're doomed...and I do not mean that sarcastically as some "rallying cry"....we are truly fucked for a minimum....MINMUM...of 3-4 years.

even if they aren't waiting on the '08 offseason for cowher, bellicek, etc they are still makikng coughlin a lame duck. everyone knows that when there's a year left on someone's contract the FO makes a decision, fire or extension. thus he's still technically a lame duck, just like he was this past season, and just like he would've been this upcoming season unless they gave him a 2 year extension. nothing changes, i read somewhere today--and it's a great point--that even if we get off to a 3-0 start there will still be issues when we get that first loss. the players dont respect this guy and there's nothing mroe to it. ownership is playing us like fools saying stuff like "players are on board, those who are brave enough to put a name next to their quote" give me a break, no one's gonna say how they really feel about htis guy and put their name on it. NFL contracts aren't guarenteed. it really made me sick listening to mara and coughlin being interviewed on the radio. mara: "this wasn't a difficult decision" coughlin " i never worried about my job. we had injuries. you dont understand what i meant 3 years ago, i meant they were a mental thing like players wouldn'tplay through them,blah blah blah" what a fucking joke. we're fucked and i have no faith in jerry reese either. thanks to these pricks and their stupid elitist circle our football team is fucked until the next george young drops into our laps. i can't stress enough how disgusted i am with this organization

it's funny too, cuz i went on a rant like that yesterday to my dad (long time giant fan) and though he agreed with me he's been so calm throughout this whole thing and just laughed and said "welcome to being a giant fan, son"

nothing changes, i read somewhere today--and it's a great point--that even if we get off to a 3-0 start there will still be issues when we get that first loss.

Ahem. That was me on this thread. Thanks.

The worst case scenario is that he picks this year to go deep in the playoffs. Tweedle-Dum and Tweedle-Dummer see this, forget that we had a 3rd place schedule in the NFC, and think we have something happening, because we were in the playoffs for a 3rd year in a row, and extend him even further. Then we spend the next few years riding the rollercoaster, sucking against the tough schedules, getting into the playoffs as a one and out wild card when we get the gimmie schedule.

Meanwhile Cowher has been rehired, Fox did the same, and Belicheck is either extended in NE, or is elsewhere. Tweedle-Dum and Tweedle-Dummer are sitting there with their thumbs up their asses with a streak of 14 years of non-stop mediocrity, and by the time the Giants are legitimate Superbowl contenders, I'm in a box.

But enough levity. :brooding:

I voted yes. Keep him one more year and when Cowher comes out of retirement next year........WE GET HIM!! Why get rid of Coughlin now? Who are you going to give his job to, that you're not going to want to fire next year? NOBODY. Keep Coughlin one more year and scoop up Cowher......Cause you know he will be on the market next year and he will get 4x what the Steelers paid him.

This is wht most people feel. That we'll get Cowher. I dont understandwhy than does everyone, most, feel keeping him[Coughlin] was wrong? Cowher is notgonna coach next year, and whats the point of hiring another coach for one season? I thik alot of fans are being unreasonable. Preach dicipline all you want, when it comes down to it the player is responsible for Penalties. And there is just no getting aroud it. TC's problem was keeping Huff and Lewis after the debacle in Seattle. nd as far as Cowher and Bellicheck.............................I wouldnt get my hopes up Giants fans. :doh:

This is wht most people feel. That we'll get Cowher. I dont understandwhy than does everyone, most, feel keeping him[Coughlin] was wrong? Cowher is notgonna coach next year, and whats the point of hiring another coach for one season? I thik alot of fans are being unreasonable. Preach dicipline all you want, when it comes down to it the player is responsible for Penalties. And there is just no getting aroud it. TC's problem was keeping Huff and Lewis after the debacle in Seattle. nd as far as Cowher and Bellicheck.............................I wouldnt get my hopes up Giants fans. :doh:

You don't throw up your hands for one season and say "okay, we'll wait for Cowher". Simple fact is that the coaching carousel is running slow this year, but if some guys don't perform, then there's going to be a shit load of jobs next year. Detroit/Cleveland/ Minny/ GB/ even Gibbs in DC/ Texans/ Bills are examples of teams that if they don't show significant improvement next year, could be dumping coaches. Cowher (if he decides to come back), could have a shit load of offers on the table for him to choose. Hell say Gibbs is gone after next year, which is possible, do you think Snyder won't be the first on line with a Brinks truck full of money for Cowher?

You make decisions based on the overall future of your team, not one year. It would take guts to fire Coughlin, but it was guts that was needed and the Giants failed badly here. As for Coughlin, I'm surprised he sits there and lets himself get pissed on like this, if he had any pride he'd quit, because I have no doubt he'd snap up a college job very fast, his "disclipline" schtick would work well in college ( he did well at BC after all).

I hearall this talk, but who would replace TC?

Ron Rivera could replace TC right now. He's ready to be a head coach and he'll be available.

And the Giants could do the same in coaches as they do with Free Agency, spend some money and entice somebody decent to come here. That's what Snyder did to get Gibbs, even if it's not working out like they thought, it was a good move at the time.

You don't throw up your hands for one season and say "okay, we'll wait for Cowher". Simple fact is that the coaching carousel is running slow this year, but if some guys don't perform, then there's going to be a shit load of jobs next year. Detroit/Cleveland/ Minny/ GB/ even Gibbs in DC/ Texans/ Bills are examples of teams that if they don't show significant improvement next year, could be dumping coaches. Cowher (if he decides to come back), could have a shit load of offers on the table for him to choose. Hell say Gibbs is gone after next year, which is possible, do you think Snyder won't be the first on line with a Brinks truck full of money for Cowher?

You make decisions based on the overall future of your team, not one year. It would take guts to fire Coughlin, but it was guts that was needed and the Giants failed badly here. As for Coughlin, I'm surprised he sits there and lets himself get pissed on like this, if he had any pride he'd quit, because I have no doubt he'd snap up a college job very fast, his "disclipline" schtick would work well in college ( he did well at BC after all).

:huh::unsure::confused:

if he had pride he'd quit? Yeah that doesn't make sense to me. If he had pride he'd do what he's doing, trying again and trying to make this team better.

:huh::unsure::confused:

if he had pride he'd quit? Yeah that doesn't make sense to me. If he had pride he'd do what he's doing, trying again and trying to make this team better.

Have you seen a coach of the Giants this ridiculed since Ray Handley. That's what I mean. I'm sure as a perosn and his family don't need to be dealing with this. He'd make a good college coach, he should go that route.

i voted YES

He has the support of the players and the owners , the media tried to get him out and the fans were mislead.

We have made the playoffs 2 times in a row ( with key injuries and the toughest schedule in the NFL )

There was no viable replacement. TC coming back gives us much neede stability

i voted YES

He has the support of the players and the owners , the media tried to get him out and the fans were mislead.

We have made the playoffs 2 times in a row ( with key injuries and the toughest schedule in the NFL )

There was no viable replacement. TC coming back gives us much neede stability

There are always viable replacements. You have both Ryan kids, Rivera, the defensive coordinator for San Diego (they were doing well even without Merriman for 4 games), Norm Chow...hell, I'd consider the DC for Denver--they did all right, that team's problem was that their QBs were a not-ready Cutler and a not good enough Plummer. That's without even looking at the colleges.

no one thought mangini and peyton were viable replacements last season. one team wanted each of those guys. and not having a good replacement isnot a good reason to keep a bad coach. and yes he IS a bad coach, i dont need the media to tell me that cuz i actually watch the games

no one thought mangini and peyton were viable replacements last season. one team wanted each of those guys. and not having a good replacement isnot a good reason to keep a bad coach. and yes he IS a bad coach, i dont need the media to tell me that cuz i actually watch the games

Payton was a target in previous years though and Mangini stems from the belichick tree which certainly helps.

I'm thinking that if we don't get past the divisional round Coughlin is gone and Cowher is in.

yeah and then strahan and amani are a year older and maybe one of them retires. im not in the mood to waste a year

A year could very well turn into 4 or 5 years if we hire the wrong guy again. Say we hired Cam Cameron and he was a complete bust for 3 years. Then what? Now your franchise is really in trouble.

Of course, there can be rewards with hiring guys like Cameron but it just may not be worth it. At least with TC the players know what they are going to get and that creates stability. Whether you like it or not, I have to say it was the right move.