SportsWrath

Was Keeping Coughlin the right move?

Herc

Was keeping Coughlin the right move?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Was keeping Coughlin the right move?

• yes
    • no

i dont feel like listing all my reasons why he sould be fired. I dont have enough time. I am very disapointed with the organization. This team has become a joke. I wont be going to a game next year and I am not buying anymore jerseys, shirts, hats, etc.

At this point I dont really care that much about the Giants. My dad actually called me up and we both were very frustrated. Jokingly we said we should find a new team. We never would, but it's getting kind of sad how pathetic this situation is. The thing thats most important to me is Eli Manning having success. I am becoming more of an Eli fan than a Giants fan.

I guess we cannot answer none of the above. Yesterday I was like everyone here, jumping on the firing of Coughlin and this morning I was the same but I am softening my view a little bit. Right now, I do not believe it was the right move, if I had to make a choice but now if he has to change his whole entire staff, a tleast canning Tim Lewis then maybe I might change my mind or at least shift my opinion somewhat. I also want to see Shockey and Burress in mini camp. I want to see an attitude change, I want better leadership, I want better clock management, I want better pass coverage.

I voted yes. Although I don't like him as a coach and think he's the wrong man for this team, I think it's the right move. After next season, I'm pretty sure Bill Cowher will be available, and possibly Bill Belichick.

But you just know that now the Giants will go 16-0, Coughlin will sign for 17 years, and Cowher will go to Dallas or some shit. :brooding:

that's the predicament i was in the 2nd half of the season. i can't watch a giants game and root against them, but at the same time i felt it was in our better long term interests to lose out after the tennessee game. if we lost out we'd have a top ten pick and maybe coughlin's fired. do you prefer that situation to the one we're in now? pick in the 20's, same crappy coach....

He's a lame duck coach right now. You don't keep someone around to keep the seat warm and possibly endure another shitty season. All of our star players are one year older. Guys like Strahan and Toomer and Petitgout deserve the opportunity to work with someone and hopefully attain the success they have waited for for all these years, not another year with a guy who the organization possibly is holding onto till his contract runs out.

But as bad as the situation is for the Giants, how much lower down could Coughlin be right now. I don't like him as a pro coach, but I think he could be a very good college coach because his disclipline would be more effective at that level. He should try and regain his dignity and leave on his own terms.

Speaking of lame ducks, Bush is on the TV.

i think you all know my answer :P

i dont remember the last time i looked less forward to a football season. ownership COMPLETELY ignored the fans on this one. fromthe message boards, to espn polls, to fans calling into radio shows there's a clear majority on this issue. it really makes me sad. GO PADRES! :brooding:

that's the predicament i was in the 2nd half of the season. i can't watch a giants game and root against them, but at the same time i felt it was in our better long term interests to lose out after the tennessee game. if we lost out we'd have a top ten pick and maybe coughlin's fired. do you prefer that situation to the one we're in now? pick in the 20's, same crappy coach....

I know exactly what you mean, I was the same way. Even though I kinda knew if we make the playoffs he's coming back, I was rooting for all my worth in the skins game. But yeah, I honestly would prefer a top 10 pick and new coach right now, and I think everyone will agree to that after suffering a playoff loss to Philly.

I voted yes, because not only is our team (especially Manning) used to him, but Huff no longer calls the plays, and Gilbride seems pretty good so far... we just need healthy people, and Tim Lewis to call more blitzes..

I like TC

I voted no. Coughlin is such damaged goods right now, that there is no way he can keep any sense of control here. He can start 3-0, and at the first loss, he's going to hear about how the losing has started again. There's no concession about assistants, there's no definitive support to his ability given by his extension(if you are going to extend him, extend him for more than a year, 1 year is a joke), and now the new GM has to accept him--and how many are willing to do that?

Tepid, chickenshit move. They had BETTER have something amazing in store for GM, but at this point, I doubt it.

I voted yes, because not only is our team (especially Manning) used to him, but Huff no longer calls the plays, and Gilbride seems pretty good so far... we just need healthy people, and Tim Lewis to call more blitzes..

I like TC

how could you possibly like coughlin?

He preaches discipline and his team has none. He wanted to fix penalties and the Giants consistently are worst in the league at commiting them. He wanted to limit injuries and his team is always very injured.

What is there to like?

Yea it was the right move. there no good coaches. With a new DC and OC i think will Tom will be fine

the 2 best coaches this year were Mangini and Payton. Both were assistants the year before.

There are some decent assistants out there right now who I am quite sure could do a better job than Coughlin.

I'm torn, if we ultimately fire him next year and hire Cower than it'll be worth another year of aggravation. But for the sake of the poll I vote No, I think we could have gotten Billecheck.

The only way we would've gotten Belichichk is if we gave up a 1st rounder. He's still under contract.

the 2 best coaches this year were Mangini and Payton. Both were assistants the year before.

There are some decent assistants out there right now who I am quite sure could do a better job than Coughlin.

The only assistant prospect I really like is Ron Rivera, and who knows if we would've gotten him.

It came down to the Mara's and Tisch's asking the players what they wanted, and they all said they wanted TC back. And that there were no real coaching candidates out there.

I'm not a Coughlin fan. But I have to say, I do agree with this move.

The only assistant prospect I really like is Ron Rivera, and who knows if we would've gotten him.

It came down to the Mara's and Tisch's asking the players what they wanted, and they all said they wanted TC back. And that there were no real coaching candidates out there.

I'm not a Coughlin fan. But I have to say, I do agree with this move.

the idea is to win a super bowl. We know what Coughlin's going to give us; mediocrity.

I bought into the rebuilding after we went 4-12 and was patient with this team. I've lost my patience, we're good enough now to go somewhere. Coughlin is keeping this team stalled.

the idea is to win a super bowl. We know what Coughlin's going to give us; mediocrity.

I bought into the rebuilding after we went 4-12 and was patient with this team. I've lost my patience, we're good enough now to go somewhere. Coughlin is keeping this team stalled.

Who do you have in mind? Who do you think could be the guy that leads us to the super bowl next year?

The disciplinarian coach is gone. I've gotten that through my head. Coughlin can't control the stupid headbutts, these guys are just flat out idiots who have no clue what to do. My problem with Coughlin is his in-game managing and lack of adjustments. That may be a problem.

Keeping him was the right thing. there was no on else out there.

Who do you have in mind? Who do you think could be the guy that leads us to the super bowl next year?

The disciplinarian coach is gone. I've gotten that through my head. Coughlin can't control the stupid headbutts, these guys are just flat out idiots who have no clue what to do. My problem with Coughlin is his in-game managing and lack of adjustments. That may be a problem.

Keeping him was the right thing. there was no on else out there.

Ron Rivera def coor Bears

Cam Cameron off coor Chargers

Ken Whisenhunt off coor Steelers

Rex Ryan def coor Ravens

all of these guys will be interviweing for head coaching positions. Now I am not saying that they're the next great thing but all 4 have great resumes and could be something. I'd rather take the 6 mil we're paying coughlin over 2 years and give it to one of them. Pay them something like 8 mil over 3 years. See what happens.

I voted yes. Keep him one more year and when Cowher comes out of retirement next year........WE GET HIM!! Why get rid of Coughlin now? Who are you going to give his job to, that you're not going to want to fire next year? NOBODY. Keep Coughlin one more year and scoop up Cowher......Cause you know he will be on the market next year and he will get 4x what the Steelers paid him.

Everyone needs to shut up about Cowher. Mara did not keep TC another year in an atempt to get Cowher next year. It will be a cold day in hell when this FO makes a wise decision.

For what it's worth, "West Coast Bias", a local ESPN Radio show out here said today that Pete Carol was interested in the Giants HC job had TC been kicked out.

Everyone needs to shut up about Cowher. Mara did not keep TC another year in an atempt to get Cowher next year. It will be a cold day in hell when this FO makes a wise decision.

For what it's worth, "West Coast Bias", a local ESPN Radio show out here said today that Pete Carol was interested in the Giants HC job had TC been kicked out.

Make me! :flex: It's a possibility.. are you friends with Mara? Did he tell you that? who knows....all I know is the Giants better shape the fuck up.