SportsWrath

More good news:Coughlin evaluating assistants

fishgutmartyr

Arthur Staple's Blog

TC: Still Evaluating Assistants

Tim Lewis isn't gone, according to Coughlin -- the coach said he'll decide this week who stays and who goes, and he said that the decision is entirely his.

Not much exciting from his conference call, other than him saying that he has changed over his three seasons and continues to do. And -- shocker!! -- he wished that the players who went to the media with their gripes had kept things in-house.

One of those players, Jeremy Shockey, gave this quote today through the team:

"Coach Coughlin deserves to be the head coach of the New York Giants. I’m glad he’s coming back and I have told a lot of people over the past couple days that I hope he comes back. He and coach Pope, all they want is for me to be the best player I can be. I know they know how hard I work at it, and I know how hard they work to get the most out of me. We all need to do a better job together to get ready for another season. Everyone on this team, no matter what anyone from the outside says, understands that nothing is more important to Coach Coughlin than winning and that’s what you want from your coach.”

Michael Strahan had a similar statement:

"I’m excited to hear that Coach Coughlin will be returning this season. He has led us to back to back playoff appearances for the first time in my 14-year career. Unfortunately, because of my foot injury, I wasn’t able to be much of a help down the stretch this season. I know the perception is that he is unapproachable and distant from his players, but that’s not the case. I had some of my best conversations with him this season, and he showed me how much he cared about me as a person and as a player when I went to him and pleaded with him to let me play against Dallas and then against Philadelphia, and he knew the smart thing to do was to let me heal up some more because I wasn’t ready. I look forward to a healthy return for the ’07 season and helping the Giants organization make a third straight playoff appearance with a better outcome than the past two seasons. Tom is the man to lead us to do just that."

So there you go... Basically, everything is exactly the same as yesterday, but the coach has a 1-year extension.

Who ordered the large clusterfuck? :huh:

No GM, more TC, and possibly even Tim Lewis coming back. I refuse to put myself through another Tennessee game.

Arthur Staple's Blog

Who ordered the large clusterfuck? :huh:

No GM, more TC, and possibly even Tim Lewis coming back. I refuse to put myself through another Tennessee game.

I am with you FishGut. So if ClueLess stays we will have the Zone Bliiiiitttttzzzz ad infinitum...Jesus Holy Christ.

Lewis and Huff need to go. Not just go, they need to accidentally hit by a truck or come under a train or something like that. They should have no part of this organisation.

Gilbride Im not too sure, maybe with an offseason of work, he might be able to do a good job, but considering his QB coaching abilities Im not too sure. Atleast he was an OC for many years.

But these two dicklicks and the conditioning coach need to pass away.

Lewis and Huff need to go. Not just go, they need to accidentally hit by a truck or come under a train or something like that. They should have no part of this organisation.

Gilbride Im not too sure, maybe with an offseason of work, he might be able to do a good job, but considering his QB coaching abilities Im not too sure. Atleast he was an OC for many years.

But these two dicklicks and the conditioning coach need to pass away.

I dont know where you have been but Huf has been gone since the Washington game and Lewis is on the hot seat now . he will be gone. if you dont want to read the whole thing scroll down to the bold section

Giants ownership stepped up to the line of scrimmage yesterday and was finally ready to call the first play of its new era. Then something very familiar happened.

A false start.

The Giants appeared to be all set to reveal that Tom Coughlin was going to return for at least one more season as their head coach, but they ended up scrapping plans for a late-afternoon announcement.

Despite reports that Coughlin had agreed to a one-year contract extension and that Jerry Reese was going to be named the new general manager, one source insisted yesterday evening that "nothing has been decided yet."

Still, that does remain the likely scenario, with indications from inside the Giants' organization that the embattled Coughlin will return. He met with his assistant coaches in the morning for their annual personnel review, and the atmosphere was described as business as usual.

The subject of his job security - and their job security - didn't even come up.

Later in the morning, Coughlin and most - but not all - of his coaching staff attended a memorial service for Roy Posner, a long-time financial adviser to both the Giants and the Tisch family, who died just hours after the Giants won their season finale in Washington on Dec. 30. It was not clear which assistants missed the trip, or whether that was an indication of anything.

That memorial service kept most of the Giants organization - including co-owner John Mara and team treasurer Jonathan Tisch, who was one of the eulogists - out of the office until early afternoon, which apparently was one of the reasons for the delay of the announcement. According to Giants spokesman Pat Hanlon, "Thorough internal reviews and discussions continue," and those were delayed by the memorial service.

He said an announcement on the Giants' coach and GM situation could come as soon as this afternoon.

There are other issues to be worked out, too. If Coughlin is returning, the Giants likely will negotiate an extension of his four-year, $12 million contract that is set to expire after next season. The Giants don't want to have a lame-duck coach, so they are likely to tack on one more year for at least the $3 million he's scheduled to make in 2007.

At least one member of ownership is pushing for Coughlin to make staff changes, according to a source. Defensive coordinator Tim Lewis is on the hot seat, and there could be revisions in the Giants' strength and conditioning program, too.

Another source said that ownership had been prepared to insist that Coughlin fire offensive coordinator John Hufnagel as one condition for his return. But Coughlin took care of that when he stripped Hufnagel of his play-calling duties before the regular-season finale. Hufnagel later resigned.

Quarterbacks coach Kevin Gilbride took over the play-calling, and that source believed ownership would be satisfied if Gilbride was promoted to offensive coordinator.

There is also the matter of settling on Coughlin's immediate boss, with Ernie Accorsi set to officially vacate the GM's office on Monday. Reese, the Giants' director of player personnel, has always been considered the in-house favorite. But one source familiar with ownership's thinking said there has been some resistance from the Tisch family to hiring a new GM from within, which is why the Giants interviewed former Texans GM Charlie Casserly and requested permission to speak with Patriots executive Scott Pioli.

Casserly has always been a longshot candidate, and once Pioli took himself out of the picture by declining the Giants' interview request, the outside options became limited. And since Reese is well-liked by ownership and was recommended strongly by Accorsi, he may end up being the best fit.

All of that should be clear by today when Mara, who has not spoken publicly on either the coach or GM situation in several weeks, is expected to address those issues. Mara, via E-mail, declined comment yesterday. And Giants co-owner, Steve Tisch, did not return a call to his California office.

Originally published on January 10, 2007

I dont know where you have been but Huf has been gone since the Washington game and Lewis is on the hot seat now . he will be gone. if you dont want to read the whole thing scroll down to the bold section

Oh ok. I knew he had been relieved of play calling duties and it was known that he was gone anyway. Didnt know that he had resigned.

Anyway, I hate this 'Lewis on the hot seat' bullshit. The bum doesnt deserve to be on the hot seat, he deserves to be burnt on a stake. Kill his ass.