SportsWrath

Best Starting Rotation

LorfTVP

Best Starting Rotation  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which AL team has the best starting rotation?

• Boston Red Sox - Schilling, Beckett, Matsuzaka, Papelbon, Wakefield
    • New York Yankees - Mussina, Pettite, Wang, Pavano, Igawa
    • Toronto Blue Jays - Halladay, Burnett, Chacin, Marcum, (Towers, Janssen)
    • Baltimore Orioles - Bedard, Benson, Cabrera, Loewen, Wright
    • Tampa Bay Devil Rays - Kazmir, Fossum, Seo, Shields, (Howell, Hammel, Stokes, Corcoran)
    • Chicago White Sox - Contreras, Buehrle, Garland, Vazquez, Floyd
    • Detroit Tigers - Rogers, Bonderman, Verlander, Robertson, (Maroth, Miner)
    • Cleveland Indians - Sabathia, Westbrook, Lee, Byrd, Sowers
    • Minnesota Twins - Santana, Silva, Bonser, Garza, Baker
    • Kansas City Royals - Meche, Perez, Hudson, Bannister, (Greinke, de la Rosa)
    • Oakland Athletics - Harden, Haren, Blanton, Loaiza, (Kennedy, Saarloos)
    • Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim - Lackey, Colon, Santana, Weaver, Escobar
    • Texas Rangers - Millwood, Padilla, McCarthy, (Tejeda, Loe, Koronka)
    • Seattle Mariners - Hernandez, Washburn, Batista, Ramirez, (Woods, Baek)
  2. 2. Which NL team has the best starting rotation?

• New York Mets - Glavine, Hernandez, Maine, Perez, Pelfrey*
    • Atlanta Braves - Smoltz, Hudson, James, Davies, Hampton
    • Florida Marlins - Willis, Johnson, Olsen, Sanchez, Nolasco
    • Philadelphia Phillies - Garcia, Myers, Moyer, Hamels, Eaton
    • Washington Nationals - John Patterson, (Perez, Chico, Hanrahan, O'Connor, Hill, Traber, Bergmann)
    • St. Louis Cardinals - Carpenter, Wells, Reyes, Wainwright, Thompson
    • Chicago Cubs - Zambrano, Lilly, Prior, Hill, Marquis
    • Houston Astros - Oswalt, Jennings, Williams, Rodriguez, (Astacio, Nieve)
    • Milwaukee Brewers - Sheets, Capuano, Suppan, Vargas, Bush
    • Cincinatti Reds - Harang, Arroyo, Milton, Lohse, (Ramirez, Belisle)
    • Pittsburgh Pirates - Duke, Snell, Maholm, Gorzelanny, Chacon
    • Los Angeles Dodgers - Schmidt, Lowe, Penny, Wolf, (Billingsley, Kuo)
    • San Diego Padres - Peavy, Maddux, Young, Hensley, Thompson (Wells*)
    • Arizona Diamondbacks - Webb, Hernandez, Davis, Johnson, (Gonzalez, Eveland)
    • San Francisco Giants - Zito, Cain, Lowry, Morris, (Hennessey, Sanchez)
    • Colorado Rockies - Cook, Francis, Kim, Buchholz, Hirsh

Okay, try to be fair minded and look at who each team has to offer. Some of these teams aren't even worth mentioning.

If I had to give the top eleven starting rotations in no particular order, it would probably be:

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Chicago White Sox

Detroit Tigers

Cleveland Indians

Oakland Athletics

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Chicago Cubs

Los Angeles Dodgers

Arizona Diamondbacks

San Diego Padres

This is a big IF, but IF the BoSox rotations performs even near what they are capable of, than they are far and away the best rotation in the AL.

As for the NL, the Pads top 3 is scary good and could carry the back 2 all season in that park.

I will get my lone homerism in. While the Rangers will never compete ERA for ERA with the "great" rotations in the league, expect to see a remarkable group effort at the back end. McCarthy, Loe, Tejada, Koranka, Rheneker all have extended big league experience and have played great at times. Add Wilson and Rupe, who have alot of PT in the bigs and we have potentially an endless supply of fresh young arms to interchange as the season goes along.

This is a big IF, but IF the BoSox rotations performs even near what they are capable of, than they are far and away the best rotation in the AL.

As for the NL, the Pads top 3 is scary good and could carry the back 2 all season in that park.

I will get my lone homerism in. While the Rangers will never compete ERA for ERA with the "great" rotations in the league, expect to see a remarkable group effort at the back end. McCarthy, Loe, Tejada, Koranka, Rheneker all have extended big league experience and have played great at times. Add Wilson and Rupe, who have alot of PT in the bigs and we have potentially an endless supply of fresh young arms to interchange as the season goes along.

I think the Dodgers match the Padres in the NL but if the Padres get Wells, which they have the obvious inside track on, then they will be even better. I have a lot of hope for the Red Sox rotation...but who knows.

i voted tigers and dodgers because they are both the MOST PROVEN. To me thats very important. I dont want to hear about potential or talent. Those guys go out and do it.

I'm not going to argue with that but I have some worries about Verlander's decline at the end of last year (the Tigers babied him on purpose but he still declined a bit, his splits are pretty severe). The fact that that is the biggest question is a pretty big factor though. I had a bit of bias in voting for the Red Sox but I think they're definitely up there in the AL. The White Sox hurt themselves by trading both McCarthy and Garcia though...they've had a killer 5 aces the last couple of years. I voted Dodgers as well though, nice to see we're on the same page there.

You don't have the SF Giants in your top 11 lorf?

Err, apparently I don't. I was going by Lowry's statistics last year but now that I check I see that he's capable of much more. Morris will never be the same again though...and the fact that I didn't even know who the fifth starter was. I think that the pitchers in the NL West are going to have a field day with every team except the Rockies having exceptional rotations though.

Philadelphia

How so?

Granted you traded for Freddy Garcia, but he is a flyball pitcher and I`m gonna love hitting him in that bandbox called Citizens Bank Park.

I`ll also expect the Mets to win the divison again, even with our shoddy pitching.

How so?

Granted you traded for Freddy Garcia, but he is a flyball pitcher and I`m gonna love hitting him in that bandbox called Citizens Bank Park.

I`ll also expect the Mets to win the divison again, even with our shoddy pitching.

Myers and Hamels are a future 1-2 to be reckoned with. Garcia was a good pickup... Moyer isn't much to worry about, though.

How so?

Myers is a scumbag wife beater, but he can and has shown that he can also be an overpowering pitcher. If Hamels can continue and build on what he did last year, he's a legit ace. The only big flaw in Garcia is that he can struggle when he's overloaded with lefty hitters. You know what you're getting with Jamie Moyer, he's certainly no heater and he's not gonna overpower anyone, but he still manages to get the job done time and time again. As for Eaton, well he's nothing special but he's not terrible either. But he's good enough to be a decent back end pitcher to close the rotation.

If the Phillies can get some help in the bullpen, they win the division. Scoring runs has never been the problem, it was always pitching. Now that they've got the pitching problem halfway solved, they're legit contenders.

I told you so.

"Regardless of who's here, there's going to be questions in our rotation," Cashman said. "They're fair questions."

it's all set up to get clemens. I never said the Yankees rotiation is better than the Sox. I just wanted to express my opinion that it's closer than you think.

it's all set up to get clemens. I never said the Yankees rotiation is better than the Sox. I just wanted to express my opinion that it's closer than you think.

What I've been hearing is that the Yankees have no patience for June or July because they need starting pitching options now.

BOOMER UPDATE

The Padres met with free-agent left-hander David Wells and his agent on Thursday. While it still appears likely that the two sides will come to an agreement, Wells apparently has other options and so do the Padres.

The team is considering free-agent right-handers Brian Lawrence and Chan Ho Park, and actually would prefer Weaver to Wells, depending on the pitchers' respective prices.

For now, the Padres plan to go with Terrmel Sledge in left field while using Jose Cruz Jr., a switch-hitter, against certain left-handers. However, a trade for Brewers outfielder Geoff Jenkins remains possible.

So yah, whoever the Padres sign as their fifth starter goes a long way to show how incredible a rotation they can be.

I'm not going to argue with that but I have some worries about Verlander's decline at the end of last year (the Tigers babied him on purpose but he still declined a bit, his splits are pretty severe). The fact that that is the biggest question is a pretty big factor though. I had a bit of bias in voting for the Red Sox but I think they're definitely up there in the AL. The White Sox hurt themselves by trading both McCarthy and Garcia though...they've had a killer 5 aces the last couple of years. I voted Dodgers as well though, nice to see we're on the same page there.

looks like more people side with me lorf. Nice job with the homer pick. :TU:

looks like more people side with me lorf. Nice job with the homer pick. :TU:

Haha. Well, I think the NL is gonna have some damn good pitchers next year, not only because they have some of the best SP in the game (Oswalt, Carpenter, Zambrano, Sheets, Peavy) but weaker offenses as well. Aim for NL SP in fantasy. Granted odds are I won't even be in a a FB league this year due to circumstances...Plow...I hate you.

Haha. Well, I think the NL is gonna have some damn good pitchers next year, not only because they have some of the best SP in the game (Oswalt, Carpenter, Zambrano, Sheets, Peavy) but weaker offenses as well. Aim for NL SP in fantasy. Granted odds are I won't even be in a a FB league this year due to circumstances...Plow...I hate you.

not my fault half of the league didn't care anymore. It's my fault that I got fed up with it.