SportsWrath

Making playoffs only masks Giants' failure

Gforce11

with an average left tackle you leave your QB too vulnerable. Joe Montana was being called out to be benched. Bill Walsh figured out he needed somebody special at left tackle. He made a move and changed up his line. Once that happened Montana became more comfortable and started to look like Joe Montana. Nobody knows about it because everyone concentrates on where the ball goes, not what the offensive lineman do.

I suggest you pick up the book Nas. You will be intrigued. I guarantee it.

I don't need a book to tell me that the most important player on the football team is the QB... hands down. Sure having a solid left tackle is important but so is having a solid (insert any position in football here)

5. The window of opportunity for this group of Giants is widely believed to be closing

This was the only encouraging part of the article. I'd be perfectly happy to wipe the slate clean next year and start anew (I know that's not possible, but I can dream). With this cast of characters, I don't see a new coach making that much of a difference, no matter who he is. Sooner or later, this band of malcontents will find a reason to unite against him, and sooner or later, their penchant for doing incredibly stupid things on the football field will rear its ugly head. You can thank Jim Fassel for this culture (had to throw that in).

This was the only encouraging part of the article. I'd be perfectly happy to wipe the slate clean next year and start anew (I know that's not possible, but I can dream). With this cast of characters, I don't see a new coach making that much of a difference, no matter who he is. Sooner or later, this band of malcontents will find a reason to unite against him, and sooner or later, their penchant for doing incredibly stupid things on the football field will rear its ugly head. You can thank Jim Fassel for this culture (had to throw that in).

I'd like names please!??? <_<:P

I'll name some of them: Shockey, Burress, Pettigout and Strahan (although he's a very very very good DE, he's still a coach killer). Tiki (at tmes) can be a malcontent.

I don't need a book to tell me that the most important player on the football team is the QB... hands down. Sure having a solid left tackle is important but so is having a solid (insert any position in football here)

So how do you explain Ravens winning in 2000 with Trent Dilfer, Bucs winning with Brad Johnson/Griese? I somewhat agree with you that the QB position is the most important but I look at it as a whole package...without a good offensive line a QB can only do so much...

When Carolina played NE in the superbowl I thought they were going to kill Brady with that front 4...but I couldn't believe how good the NE no name Offensive line was...he had ALL DAY to throw...don't underestimate the offensive line's impact and its sad to see so many teams do that. Every hall off fame QB/team had strong/excellent offensive lines.

Bradshaw in Pittsburgh

Montana with the 49ers (until the 1990 Championship game).. :P

Aikman with the Cowboys.

Brady and Patriots

So how do you explain Ravens winning in 2000 with Trent Dilfer, Bucs winning with Brad Johnson/Griese? I somewhat agree with you that the QB position is the most important but I look at it as a whole package...without a good offensive line a QB can only do so much...

When Carolina played NE in the superbowl I thought they were going to kill Brady with that front 4...but I couldn't believe how good the NE no name Offensive line was...he had ALL DAY to throw...don't underestimate the offensive line's impact and its sad to see so many teams do that. Every hall off fame QB/team had strong/excellent offensive lines.

Bradshaw in Pittsburgh

Aikman with the Cowboys.

Brady and Patriots

With all that being said: Eli with a strong/excellent offensive line would he fare better than he is now? Because IMO, Brady's field awareness and techniques are far superior than that of a Eli. Very rare do I ever see Eli 'put the ball on the reciever' Brady does it way better than most. Aikman was super accurate and when he retired the Cowboys haven't won a playoff since. But it does work both ways, a good O line makes a QB much better, but if the QB sucks to begin with - it aint happening!

"And Giants fans will be left to wonder what might have been. That should be easy enough. All they have to do is watch the Chargers. "

while i agree with the premise of this article his supporting evidence sucks--especially the above quote. let's see merriman play without cheating, let's see rivers play without the best player in football behind him, and who the fuck cares about a kicker

Yeah! I mean, Eli doesn't have one of the leagues best RB's behind him or anything.

Stop the Rivers hating.

I'm sure the Giants would have loved Nate Kaeding against Seattle last year when Feely was sucking it up and costing the Giants the #1 seed in the playoffs.

Bradshaw in Pittsburgh

Aikman with the Cowboys.

Brady and Patriots

One word: Defense.

And by no means was underestimating the power of a solid offensive line. But to tell me you're going to pick an offensive lineman with the first overall pick? I don't think so. There are far more good offensive linemen available than there are QBs. Now unless you have a very solid QB and a very solid DL and LB corp, by all means go pick an OL the first pick of the draft... and I highly doubt any team that picks first has those quality players in the positions I named.

As far as the people you named Montana.. etc. Those QBs were very good if not great. Who did we have? Collins?

Offense wins ball games, Defense wins championships!

You CAN always pick a O lineman in the latter rds and develop him into a good QB protector. But IMO, u need to draft QBs, DE, LB, and star RBs early in the draft.

Let's not give up the house for a QB that you are locked on in a draft (i.e. Eli Manning). :P

if we drafted rivers and kept him i would not be a giants fan anymore.

Rivers would be a totally different QB, especially if he had to step in for Kurt Warner halfway into his rookie season. Eli didnt want to go to the Bolts because they had a QB that could have kept him on the bench. Picture if Eli had two season to sit and learn before being thrown to the dogs.

5. The window of opportunity for this group of Giants is widely believed to be closing. And the man who put them together, Ernie Accorsi, is about to retire.

You spend an article bashing the team and it's underachieving season and then make it sound like that because Ernie is about to retire, we're in trouble. But Ernie put the team together and hired the coach, so if we suck so bad shouldn't this line end with "and Ernie Accorsi can't get out of here fast enough". :confused:

Can we stop talking about the fucking Chargers trade at this point. If ladanian Tomlinson is stopped, San Diego can't do shit, because he's the focus there. I didn't like the trade either and I also didn't want Eli, I wanted gallery, but Ernie did what he thought he should have done and I have no issue with that now, Eli Manning was the best quarterback prospect in the draft, that's all we knew before the draft. Big Ben played at a small program and he had questions and there were also questions at the time about Rivers's throwing actions being suitable for the NFL, so it was clear Eli was the best prospect, doesn't always means it works out that way. We gave up 3 draft picks, but the other option on that trade was to give up Osi, and if I'm correct Osi went to the pro bowl last year and a lot of people were making comments "thank God we didn't give him up in the Charger trade". So the guy makes some valid points in his article, but he's also taking swipes at us, so when I read an article about us that's totally impartial, I'll consider it.

Can we stop talking about the fucking Chargers trade at this point. If ladanian Tomlinson is stopped, San Diego can't do shit, because he's the focus there. I didn't like the trade either and I also didn't want Eli, I wanted gallery, but Ernie did what he thought he should have done and I have no issue with that now, Eli Manning was the best quarterback prospect in the draft, that's all we knew before the draft. Big Ben played at a small program and he had questions and there were also questions at the time about Rivers's throwing actions being suitable for the NFL, so it was clear Eli was the best prospect, doesn't always means it works out that way. We gave up 3 draft picks, but the other option on that trade was to give up Osi, and if I'm correct Osi went to the pro bowl last year and a lot of people were making comments "thank God we didn't give him up in the Charger trade". So the guy makes some valid points in his article, but he's also taking swipes at us, so when I read an article about us that's totally impartial, I'll consider it.

You tell 'em, Boo. Buffalo gave up TWO first round picks for freakin' JP Losman! We look like geniuses compared to that!

Can we stop talking about the fucking Chargers trade at this point. If Ladanian Tomlinson is stopped, San Diego can't do shit, because he's the focus there.....

*I disagree with your thesis, and Frankly it upsets #85....and YOU DON'T want to offend Mr. Gates...*