SportsWrath

Official: Yankees trade Johnson back to the D-Backs

jranieli

Haha, I love fights. I'm willing to back up my claim that the Giants have bad management...spending way too much money on veterans at the end of their careers instead of trying to go the young route. I guess they have to give it one last hurrah for as long as they have Bonds but they're soon gonna start falling to the prospect led Diamondbacks and the Dodgers and Padres who are in much better shape. I'm sorry, but the Giants farm system is in poor shape and what they're doing now isn't helping...signing four type A and a type B free agent

first of all to group them with the nats and the pirates makes no sense. business wise, the giants mgmt is very wise and pulled of with the ballpark what most said was impossible. i agree with you about too many old players but that's what sabean likes and it has worked out up until the last 2 years. as far as the farm system, they are weak in position players, yes. but they do produce very strong pitchers. (some of whom I hope they keep).

Zito is far from average but he isn't nearly as good as Boras makes him out to be. Every single "expert" has given so many reasons why this is one of the worst deals in Giants history...honestly, they shelled out a record amount, the highest contract EVER for a pitcher for Barry Zito. He's a good pitcher, I'll say that, but not worth that sort of money or commitment. I really think the Giants should rebuild as soon as Bonds is gone but the presence of Zito isn't going to help that.

there is no way that the giants can tank and rebuild. the mortgage on the stadium requires them to sell about 90% of the seats each year. the only year they could have possibly done it was this year bc of the allstar game but they chose to try and be competitive and they like zito's persona. he'll only be the highest paid pitcher until next year and if he continues to win 15+ games a year (yes, that's a million a win) he'll be considered a value in a 3 years.

And Clement is average while Beckett has great talent but no brains. The average era for starters normally evens out at about 4.50.

you know while we're on the topic. I dont think this trade is that bad for Arizona. And I dont want to hear anyone go, "i wouldn't offer a hamburger for Johnson." Well thats cool but the Giants, Angels, Mariners, Padres, and D-Backs were interested. The D-Backs are already taking a hit b/c the Giants got Zito. Then to boot the Padres already signed Maddux and are offering Linebrink and a prospect for Johnson.

Well now the D-Backs have to offer a major league reliever and more prospects. They gave Vizcaino, who may hurt a tad but it's not a big deal to lose him, and a few decent prospects . They got Doug Davis. Now they'll have Randy Johnson.

They were 24th last year in ticket sales. Yes, some teams dont have money and cant sell tickets. They're probably going to sign Johnson to another year for 10 mil. So basically they're giving him 2 years 24 mil. Now step back and look at the money Suppan, Marquis, Meche, Lilly, Eaton etc are getting. If the D-backs got one of them then they would be stupid.

Johnson still posted a 1.24 whip last year holding opponents to a .250 BA in the AL East. His ERA was bad, but I doubt it gets worse in the NL West. No offense, but the NL West doesn't compare to the AL East (and it's not just because there's no DH). Johnson still struck out 172 guys last year. He cant dominate good teams (7.17 ERA against the Red Sox, 14.04 against Toronto, 11.46 against the Mets), but he can pitch well against bad teams. I think if healthy he will have success in the NL. I dont see why he cant have an ERA inbetween 3.30-3.99 next year with a low whip and 185+ strikeouts. Lets not forget his back was a problem last year, which hurt his abilities. But if he can recover I dont see why this is a bad trade for the D-Backs.

you know while we're on the topic. I dont think this trade is that bad for Arizona. And I dont want to hear anyone go, "i wouldn't offer a hamburger for Johnson." Well thats cool but the Giants, Angels, Mariners, Padres, and D-Backs were interested. The D-Backs are already taking a hit b/c the Giants got Zito. Then to boot the Padres already signed Maddux and are offering Linebrink and a prospect for Johnson.

Well now the D-Backs have to offer a major league reliever and more prospects. They gave Vizcaino, who may hurt a tad but it's not a big deal to lose him, and a few decent prospects . They got Doug Davis. Now they'll have Randy Johnson.

They were 24th last year in ticket sales. Yes, some teams dont have money and cant sell tickets. They're probably going to sign Johnson to another year for 10 mil. So basically they're giving him 2 years 24 mil. Now step back and look at the money Suppan, Marquis, Meche, Lilly, Eaton etc are getting. If the D-backs got one of them then they would be stupid.

Johnson still posted a 1.24 whip last year holding opponents to a .250 BA in the AL East. His ERA was bad, but I doubt it gets worse in the NL West. No offense, but the NL West doesn't compare to the AL East (and it's not just because there's no DH). Johnson still struck out 172 guys last year. He cant dominate good teams (7.17 ERA against the Red Sox, 14.04 against Toronto, 11.46 against the Mets), but he can pitch well against bad teams. I think if healthy he will have success in the NL. I dont see why he cant have an ERA inbetween 3.30-3.99 next year with a low whip and 185+ strikeouts. Lets not forget his back was a problem last year, which hurt his abilities. But if he can recover I dont see why this is a bad trade for the D-Backs.

I agree, the trade does work for the Diamondbacks and it gives them a slightly formidable 1-3 of Webb, Johnson, and Davis to go against the strong rotations in the division. I think what most people are saying is that it's outrageous that you were able to get so much for Johnson. It's a shame though, the Giants and Diamondbacks are doing the same thing...while these acquisitions still help the team, I really do feel like they're more for ticket sales than anything else.

you know while we're on the topic. I dont think this trade is that bad for Arizona. And I dont want to hear anyone go, "i wouldn't offer a hamburger for Johnson." Well thats cool but the Giants, Angels, Mariners, Padres, and D-Backs were interested.

Yeah, I even heard the Red Sox were interested. Of course, I heard it from sources inside the Yankees, so it's gotta be true.

I agree, the trade does work for the Diamondbacks and it gives them a slightly formidable 1-3 of Webb, Johnson, and Davis to go against the strong rotations in the division. I think what most people are saying is that it's outrageous that you were able to get so much for Johnson. It's a shame though, the Giants and Diamondbacks are doing the same thing...while these acquisitions still help the team, I really do feel like they're more for ticket sales than anything else.

They also have Livan.

They also have Livan.

I know, who could be good, but the way he's been pitching of late made me decide not to include him in a top 1-anything. I mean, if this was the Livan of old, this could be a much better rotation.

From Bob Klapisch, ESPN.com:

Whatever the reason, Johnson was unhappy enough to look daggers at Johnny Damon last August when the outfielder tried to rally the slumping Yankees. In the middle of the clubhouse, Damon shouted to the whole team, "Come on, you [expletive]. Wake up!" From across the room, Johnson stared coldly, so unnerving Damon that he later asked a club official, "Did I do something wrong?"

The Yankees obviously haven't publicly indicted Johnson in their efforts to trade him, but it's clear no one will miss him. One employee said, "Randy was the kind of guy who, if you asked him, 'How's it going?' he'd stare you down and say, 'What do you mean by that?' He was the most socially awkward person I ever met around here."

What a douchebag.