SportsWrath

Oh God, here we go.

NeMesiS

Now Tomlinson is better than L.T.

black_logo_243x41.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3708.jpg Year-End Awards: Can Tomlinson steal L.T. nickname?

Jan. 3, 2007

By Pete Prisco

CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Tell Pete your opinion!

Judge Awards

Here's a question to debate as we come out of the NFL season: Who's the better L.T., Lawrence Taylor, the originator of the nickname, or LaDainian Tomlinson, the San Diego Chargers running back who is on his way to winning his first MVP?

img9905714.jpg LaDainian Tomlinson is breaking records and becoming a legend. (US Presswire)

Taylor, to me, is the greatest defensive player of all-time. He was a player who revolutionized the game, his fierce style causing offenses to change the way they played.

Taylor helped the New York Giants win two Super Bowls, scaring the hell out of opposing quarterbacks along the way and leading us to wonder how good he would have been if it weren't for those off-the-field demons.

Never did I think another player would ever do enough to be in the conversation to use the L.T. moniker. It was his forever, right?

Tomlinson has changed that.

His remarkable 2006 season, in which he scored an amazing 31 touchdowns and once again ran through opposing defenses with the grace of the great ones, is moving him into a class in the Taylor zip code.

He's not quite there yet -- how can he be when he's still not considered the best back of all-time by many? -- but it's a lot closer than it was a year ago.

For his special season, Tomlinson is my choice as the NFL MVP. Oh, by the way, he led the NFL in rushing with 1,815 yards and also threw two touchdown passes. Tomlinson's winning is a good thing for the NFL.

There might not be a less-assuming superstar in the league. He is polite, accommodating, loves his teammates, praises his offensive line and celebrates a score the way the suits at the league office love, by handing the ball to the officials.

If Tomlinson can get the Chargers to the Super Bowl, which is a strong possibility since they are the top seed in the AFC, he may become the face of the NFL. If that happens, I just may have to put him side-by-side with Lawrence Taylor.

There's only one L.T. in my mind, but come February that could change.

Tomlinson or Taylor? Let the debate begin.

League MVP: Tomlinson. He's had an amazing season for the best team in the NFL. And he has plenty of good football in front of him. Runners-up: Colts QB Peyton Manning, Saints QB Drew Brees.

Offensive Player of Year: Tomlinson. See above. Runners-up: Brees, Manning, Kansas City Chiefs RB Larry Johnson, 49ers RB Frank Gore, Giants RB Tiki Barber.

Defensive Player of Year: Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey. He continually plays the toughest position on defense at the highest level. Bailey is in the Deion Sanders class. Runners-up: Bears LB Brian Urlacher, Jaguars DT John Henderson, Dolphins DE Jason Taylor, Eagles S Brian Dawkins.

Offensive Rookie: Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew. If you really look at the numbers, he has to be the choice. Titans quarterback Vince Young won some games, but his numbers aren't as good. Runners-up: Young, Patriots RB Laurence Maroney, Saints RB Reggie Bush, Saints WR Marques Colston, Chargers T Marcus McNeil.

Defensive Rookie: Texans linebacker DeMeco Ryans. He has been a tackling machine. If he was on a better team, everyone would know him. Runners-up: Lions LB Ernie Sims, Bills S Donte Whitner, Ravens S Dewon Landry, Bears DE Mark Anderson, Raiders S Michael Huff, Packers LB A.J. Hawk, Jaguars LB Clint Ingram, Chiefs DE Tamba Hali. Best free-agent pickup: Brees. And it isn't even close. Runners-up: Vikings RB Chester Taylor, Seahawks LB Julian Peterson.

Worst free-agent pickup: It has to be Redskins safety Adam Archuleta. They gave him a big contact and he spent most of the season on the bench. Runners-up: Redskins WR Antwaan Randle El, Seahawks WR Nate Burleson.

Coach: Sean Payton, Saints. It was close between Eric Mangini of the Jets and Payton, but since the Saints earned the second seed, Payton takes it. Runners-up: Mangini; Brian Billick, Ravens; Marty Schottenheimer, Chargers; Lovie Smith, Bears.

Best assistant coach: Rex Ryan, Ravens defensive coordinator. He has talent, but he also knows how to coordinate the aggressive style. Runners-up: Mike Smith, Jaguars defensive coordinator; Cam Cameron, Chargers offensive coordinator.

Most-improved player: Gore. He should be a Pro Bowl player for years to come. Runners-up: Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha, 49ers QB Alex Smith, Jaguars LB Daryl Smith, Ravens LB Bart Scott.

Comeback player: Chad Pennington, Jets. It would be easy to give it to Brees or Carson Palmer, but neither missed time last season. Their injuries came late. Pennington did, which is why he's the choice. Runners-up: Saints RB Deuce McAllister, Ravens LB Ray Lewis.

Biggest surprise: Eagles QB Jeff Garcia. His story is amazing. He played as well as any quarterback in the league the last month. Runners-up: The Saints, Jets and Saints receiver Marques Colston.

Biggest disappointment: The Pittsburgh Steelers and Carolina Panthers. They started the season at the top of league, and finished it down way too far. Runners-up: Dolphins, Jaguars, Giants QB Eli Manning, Dolphins QB Daunte Culpepper, Bucs RB Cadillac Williams.

Best moment: It happened a long time ago it seems, but the Saints winning that Monday night game against the Falcons in Week 3, the first game back at the Superdome, is still the best moment. Runners-up: Tomlinson breaking the touchdown record; Matt Bryant's 62-yard field goal to give the Bucs a last-second victory over the Eagles; Rob Bironas' 60-yard field goal to give the Titans a victory over the Colts in Week 13.

Worst moment: It happened this week when Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was shot to death. There's nothing on the field worse than that. Runners-up: Albert Haynesworth's despicable foot stomp of Andre Gurode's head; Trent Green's head injury.

Best game: Can it be Boise State-Oklahoma? No, it was the Colts-Broncos game from Week 8. The Colts won it 34-31 in a shootout. Runners-up: The Eagles-Panthers game in Week 12, the Eagles-Cowboys game from Week 5 and the Colts beating the Jets in Week 4 on two fourth-quarter drives.

Best trend: Last-second kicks -- long ones, too -- to win games. It makes for great theater. Runners-up: Blitzing. It really makes the game more exciting on both sides of the ball; the bad NFC.

Worst trend: Too much protection of quarterbacks. Defensive linemen are too scared to make a play. Runner-up: Bad offensive line play. It's improved down the stretch, but it's not really that good.

LT redefined the position of Linebacker and was the reason a Sack became a stat. He was the best player on one of the best defensive teams in the history of football and has a pair of superbowl rings.

Tomilson is just another running back... a damn good RB but can you say he redifined Running Back? How many superbowl rings does he have... how about playoff apperances?

The guy has 1815 yards for the season. A bit impressive but nothing spectacular, imo. When Barry Sanders was shredding defenses with his one deminsional offence, no one said he was better than LT. Nevertheless comparing a Running Back to a Linebacker is retarded.

L Tom is overrated imho. Barber is merely 150 yards behind and I don't Barber has been that impressive either. Maybe I set higher standards.. but I'm just not buying into the hype.

LT redefined the position of Linebacker and was the reason a Sack became a stat. He was the best player on one of the best defensive teams in the history of football and has a pair of superbowl rings.

Tomilson is just another running back... a damn good RB but can you say he redifined Running Back? How many superbowl rings does he have... how about playoff apperances?

Agreed....he is also in credited by many with bringing on the one back, backfield, causing the need for the H Back, and elevating the Left OT position to one of the most important on the field.

Tomilson is a very good RB....but he hasn't done anything Paul Hornug did do first or Gale Sayers didn't do better with fewer gamrs, and with lesser supporting talent around him.

The real LT did for the Outside Linebacker but Sam Huff did for the middle Linebacker positon...put it on the map.....You game plan Tomilson...Every NFL team had to reconstruct entire offensive schemes as a result of Taylor started.

When Dick Butkus says he's simply the Greatest Defensive Player EVER....games over.

C. Wagon

C. Wagon

Agreed....he is also in credited by many with bringing on the one back, backfield, causing the need for the H Back, and elevating the Left OT position to one of the most important on the field.

Tomilson is a very good RB....but he hasn't done anything Paul Hornug did do first or Gale Sayers didn't do better with fewer gamrs, and with lesser supporting talent around him.

The real LT did for the Outside Linebacker but Sam Huff did for the middle Linebacker positon...put it on the map.....You game plan Tomilson...Every NFL team had to reconstruct entire offensive schemes as a result of Taylor started.

When Dick Butkus says he's simply the Greatest Defensive Player EVER....games over.

C. Wagon

C. Wagon

And when Chuck Wagon signs his name TWICE... game's over. :P

i hate to be a party pooper but....

if tomlinson continues to play at this level for 5 more seasons these are his projected career numbers.

190 tds, 17000 yds, 750 catches, 5500 rec yards, 20 rec tds

that's only 11 seasons worth of stats. there goes jery rice's career TD record and he'll tie smith for most 1000 yard seasons. and if he decides to play 15 years like smith did he'll OBLITERATE the most rushing yards and most yards from scrimage records as well. and it's not like he isn't durable. he's incredibly consistent as well, his worst year was his rookie year and he scored 10 tds and had 1300 yards that year.

the point is, he could go down as the best RB ever. he's NOT just a 'good rb' he's already a record breaking RB and has accomplished a shitload in 6 seasons including the TD record, tying the record for most games with a TD (18), leading the league in receptions in 2003 (with 100). he didn't redefine the position like taylor did, and im not advocating that he steal LT's nickname (i never call him LT--but then again they're ONLY initials, there's nothing original about the nickname), but he's frequently overlooked as BY FAR the best rb in football. his TD chase didn't get the exposure and atention that alexander's and holmes' did and it wasn't until he obliterated that record that people finally started calling him the best RB in football--a title he's held for at least 3 years now.

as for tiki barber, dont make me laugh, tiki played 10 seasons and tomlinson will easily surpass his career yards by week 6 next season--which is only year 7 for him. tiki had 3 pro-bowl caliber seasons, that's it. if he didn't play in ny he'd just be robert smith. tiki has never been in tomlinson's class and his case for canton is debatable in year 10. in year 6 tomlinson's already a lock

and taylor is easily the best defensive player ever. that's indisputable. but tomlinson is no chump, and he could easily win a superbowl this year and is almost single-handedly making us look like fools in the eli/rivers trade

if tomlinson continues to play at this level for 5 more seasons these are his projected career numbers.

that's only 11 seasons worth of stats. there goes jery rice's career TD record and he'll tie smith for most 1000 yard seasons. and if he decides to play 15 years like smith did he'll OBLITERATE the most rushing yards and most yards from scrimage records as well. and it's not like he isn't durable. he's incredibly consistent as well, his worst year was his rookie year and he scored 10 tds and had 1300 yards that year.

the point is, he could go down as the best RB ever. he's NOT just a 'good rb' he's already a record breaking RB and has accomplished a shitload in 6 seasons including the TD record, tying the record for most games with a TD (18), leading the league in receptions in 2003 (with 100). he didn't redefine the position like taylor did, and im not advocating that he steal LT's nickname (i never call him LT--but then again they're ONLY initials, there's nothing original about the nickname), but he's frequently overlooked as BY FAR the best rb in football. his TD chase didn't get the exposure and atention that alexander's and holmes' did and it wasn't until he obliterated that record that people finally started calling him the best RB in football--a title he's held for at least 3 years now.

as for tiki barber, dont make me laugh, tiki played 10 seasons and tomlinson will easily surpass his career yards by week 6 next season--which is only year 7 for him. tiki had 3 pro-bowl caliber seasons, that's it. if he didn't play in ny he'd just be robert smith. tiki has never been in tomlinson's class and his case for canton is debatable in year 10. in year 6 tomlinson's already a lock

"Good RB" was a bit of an understatement...and I am a homer.....but LT literally changed the game - the way defense is played and how offenses adjust to them even up to today...the way teams evaluate talent and draft...on and on.

At the end of the day he might be the best RB...but it ain't the end of the day yet....and alot of very good RBs....Sayers and Terrell Davis...never make it to the end of the day.

I'm not concerned about the initials...they are just a nickname....but the book isn't closed on this guy yet and his book isn't as good as Taylors regarding the impact he's had on the NFL....and it probably won't be as good as Taylors assuming he does become the best ever RB statistically.

C. Wagon

I got news for you: Football is a tough game and it takes its toll on your body. And your team maybe good now but sucks next year. The # of tds is overrated imo. Look at Barber. He drives the ball to the 3 yard line and we have Jacobs smash it in.

I got news for you: Football is a tough game and it takes its toll on your body. And your team maybe good now but sucks next year. The # of tds is overrated imo. Look at Barber. He drives the ball to the 3 yard line and we have Jacobs smash it in.

tell that to emmitt smith, he played 15 seasons. i projected tomlinson's numbers to 11 seasons, when he's 31 years old. in no way am i stretching anything here, those numbers are incredibly reasonable when you look at his consistency and durability. as far as the TDs go, i dont see how they can be overrated, tomlinson is that entire offense. he's worth 6 wins by himself. gates isn't a pro-bowler without him and neither is rivers. and tomlinson has more than double the amount of TDs as jacobs and tiki combined. if jacobs was hurt all season and we had to rely on tiki only then he's look at 10-15 td's MAX.

"Good RB" was a bit of an understatement...and I am a homer.....but LT literally changed the game - the way defense is played and how offenses adjust to them even up to today...the way teams evaluate talent and draft...on and on.

At the end of the day he might be the best RB...but it ain't the end of the day yet....and alot of very good RBs....Sayers and Terrell Davis...never make it to the end of the day.

I'm not concerned about the initials...they are just a nickname....but the book isn't closed on this guy yet and his book isn't as good as Taylors regarding the impact he's had on the NFL....and it probably won't be as good as Taylors assuming he does become the best ever RB statistically.

C. Wagon

i dont disagree with any of this, and even if tomlinson becomes the best ever i agree he's still never going to impact the game the way taylor did, but when it's all said and done tomlinson could easily be mentioned with brown, elway, montana, taylor, rice, marino, etc. at that point i think that's worth sharing initials

i dont disagree with any of this, and even if tomlinson becomes the best ever i agree he's still never going to impact the game the way taylor did, but when it's all said and done tomlinson could easily be mentioned with brown, elway, montana, taylor, rice, marino, etc. at that point i think that's worth sharing initials

The guy is ridiculous. He even has 6 career passing TDs, and only lost 10 fumbles in his career.

At the same point in Emmitt Smith's career, Emmitt had 220 less yards than Tomlinson does. And that includes all of Smith's best seasons. And it doesn't even look like Tomlinson has even peaked yet, while with McNeil, the SD Oline is actually improving. Watch him while you can, he's a once every 30-year player.

As for the LT controversy:

1. Call Taylor LTD, Tomlinson LTO. They played on different sides of the ball.
  2. Let me draft him in Fantasy Football next year. That should cool him down. :P

No harm there...I just miss our LT. No way this G-Men team is 8-8 with if badness was roaming the bench and chewing ass ...let alone the effect he'd have had on the other team on the field.

C Wagon.

Prior to Taylor the two back set was predominant and the blitzing line backer was picked up by the RB or HB....after Taylor started picking up the RB and carrying him back to the QB that is when you started to see a reincarnation of the blocking TE and the LT position became critical. I remember one game against the E-gals when LT picked up (I believe it was Montgomery) the RB and basically used him to bludgeon good ol Jaworski with him. I also think that Sanders was superior to Tomlinson and produced more with less. What it boils down to IMHO is that people pay attention to what is recent and/or current and tend to gloss over things the more distant they are physically and/or time wise from it. I remember just about every Giants fan (and Giants player) groaning because we did not pick a RB. All of that stopped in trainning camp as far as the players were concerned ...guys like Carson, Van Pelt and Kelly could not believe what they were seeing from the rookie; and it sure changed for the fans during the first pre-season game. Just imagine how much more of a beast LT would have been if he stayed away from the coke and actually worked out during the offseason. George Martin was quoted as saying that "I used to tell that boy....working out during and after the season would add 2 to 3 years to LT's career. But if the lame asses want to use LT let them....because I believe that history will remember the true LT.