SportsWrath

Randy Trade talk

K3VIN

In the past week the Arizona Diamondbacks have offered a package of players to the New York Yankees in exchange for Randy Johnson, a baseball official said.

In need of starting pitching -- and a marquee name that will draw more fans -- the Diamondbacks have offered a package of at least three players, including a major-leaguer. They would also want a 72-hour window to negotiate an extension with Johnson, who is owed $16 million in the final year of his contract. The Yankees, according to the official, don't want to pick up any of Johnson's salary.

Johnson, 43, spent six seasons with Arizona and won four Cy Young Awards before being traded to New York in January 2005. At the time, Arizona was looking to shed payroll and bring in more youth.

Johnson had a full no-trade clause back then, as he does now. And it's believed that if the Yankees were to move him, Johnson would prefer to be closer to his Arizona home.

According to Johnson's agent, Alan Nero, the left-hander has not requested a trade.

"Randy would listen if the Yankees brought something to him," Nero said. "But that has not happened. I don't know what they're doing. It's still speculation as far as we're concerned."

The official said the San Diego Padres are also involved in trade discussions. It's believed that right-handed reliever Scott Linebrink could be the centerpiece of a deal.

If he returns to Arizona, Johnson, with 280 career wins, could get No. 300 as a Diamondback. If he goes to San Diego, he'd join 333-game winner Greg Maddux in the rotation. That is, if he stays healthy. Johnson had back surgery this offseason and it's unknown whether he'll be ready for Opening Day.

In the past week the Arizona Diamondbacks have offered a package of players to the New York Yankees in exchange for Randy Johnson, a baseball official said.

In need of starting pitching -- and a marquee name that will draw more fans -- the Diamondbacks have offered a package of at least three players, including a major-leaguer. They would also want a 72-hour window to negotiate an extension with Johnson, who is owed $16 million in the final year of his contract. The Yankees, according to the official, don't want to pick up any of Johnson's salary.

Johnson, 43, spent six seasons with Arizona and won four Cy Young Awards before being traded to New York in January 2005. At the time, Arizona was looking to shed payroll and bring in more youth.

Johnson had a full no-trade clause back then, as he does now. And it's believed that if the Yankees were to move him, Johnson would prefer to be closer to his Arizona home.

According to Johnson's agent, Alan Nero, the left-hander has not requested a trade.

"Randy would listen if the Yankees brought something to him," Nero said. "But that has not happened. I don't know what they're doing. It's still speculation as far as we're concerned."

The official said the San Diego Padres are also involved in trade discussions. It's believed that right-handed reliever Scott Linebrink could be the centerpiece of a deal.

If he returns to Arizona, Johnson, with 280 career wins, could get No. 300 as a Diamondback. If he goes to San Diego, he'd join 333-game winner Greg Maddux in the rotation. That is, if he stays healthy. Johnson had back surgery this offseason and it's unknown whether he'll be ready for Opening Day.

Why the Pads would trade Linebrink for Randy Johnson is beyond me.

...and just when Cashman about fucks it up, he could redeem himself. I hope to god Johnson gets traded to SD for Linebrink... :rock: Johnson hasn't done shit for us!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Cashmoney, make this deal!!! :)

agreed!

Humberto Sanchez could do exactly what Johnson does.

I think this also means the Yanks are confident they can land Clemens

Why the Pads would trade Linebrink for Randy Johnson is beyond me.

linebrink had a bad year last season by his standards, he's also only a 7th inning man for us at this point as meredith will be holding down the 8th inning (thanks).

i dont really want johnson, i mean as a 4th starter coming from the AL to the NL in petco i guess he'd be better but i think we can get more for linebrink

meredith will be holding down the 8th inning (thanks).

:lol: :brooding:

linebrink had a bad year last season by his standards, he's also only a 7th inning man for us at this point

Yeah, but his upside is infinitely higher than Johnsons. I mean, considering his salary (which the Yanks say they don't want to pay any of), who would trade anything for this guy? If anybody bails the Yankees out of his horrible contract, I'll be out of my mind. They should be begging teams to take him for nothing.

I had the same thought about Clemens. I'm thinking they've already talked to him, or got word from Pettite that he'll come back.

agreed!

Humberto Sanchez could do exactly what Johnson does.

I think this also means the Yanks are confident they can land Clemens

So when the deal does not go through as teams realize 17 million for a 43 year old power pitcher with a bad back is ludicrous you will not defend Randy when he is 10-5 at the break, yet has a 5.50 ERA?

:lol: :brooding:

Yeah, but his upside is infinitely higher than Johnsons. I mean, considering his salary (which the Yanks say they don't want to pay any of), who would trade anything for this guy? If anybody bails the Yankees out of his horrible contract, I'll be out of my mind. They should be begging teams to take him for nothing.

I had the same thought about Clemens. I'm thinking they've already talked to him, or got word from Pettite that he'll come back.

yeah, i guess how much salary the yanks are willing to take on is a big factor. the d-backs seem really desperate for johnson though, and a 72 hour window for an extension???? geez he'll be 44 when this contract is over. at least clemens goes year to year. i dont think the padres are incredibly interested unless the yanks assume some of that contract--i just think they know something about linebrink and want to get rid of him while he still has trade value. he more or less had a 4.00 era last season and is only a 7th inning setup guys now. we annually have the deepest and best bullpen in baseball so someone will easily be able to step in for that inning, plus besides maddux we have 7 inning pitchers so we wont need linebrink as much as a team like the yankees will. again, if he doesn't cost too much money for us, i'll gladly give up a 7th innig relief pitcher for a 4th starter. i mean, he HAS to put up better numbers in the NL and at petco, right?

yeah, i guess how much salary the yanks are willing to take on is a big factor. the d-backs seem really desperate for johnson though, and a 72 hour window for an extension???? geez he'll be 44 when this contract is over. at least clemens goes year to year. i dont think the padres are incredibly interested unless the yanks assume some of that contract--i just think they know something about linebrink and want to get rid of him while he still has trade value. he more or less had a 4.00 era last season and is only a 7th inning setup guys now. we annually have the deepest and best bullpen in baseball so someone will easily be able to step in for that inning, plus besides maddux we have 7 inning pitchers so we wont need linebrink as much as a team like the yankees will. again, if he doesn't cost too much money for us, i'll gladly give up a 7th innig relief pitcher for a 4th starter. i mean, he HAS to put up better numbers in the NL and at petco, right?

no. when he gives up Hr there bombs

"A baseball official said that the Yankees would be willing to part with Randy Johnson for the right package of players and/or prospects."

I gotta laugh when I see quotes like this. Are they joking? I really have to tip my cap to the Yankees (or maybe I should just snicker at the D'Backs or whoever trades for him) if they can make any team believe that a 43-year-old coming off a 5 run ERA and back surgery, set to make 17 million dollars, is worth anything at all. It would be a great move, though, for them to come out of this with CLemens and prospects, and basically spend no more, or even less, money. Any team that takes on that whole contract are absolute fools.

"A baseball official said that the Yankees would be willing to part with Randy Johnson for the right package of players and/or prospects."

I gotta laugh when I see quotes like this. Are they joking? I really have to tip my cap to the Yankees (or maybe I should just snicker at the D'Backs or whoever trades for him) if they can make any team believe that a 43-year-old coming off a 5 run ERA and back surgery, set to make 17 million dollars, is worth anything at all. It would be a great move, though, for them to come out of this with CLemens and prospects, and basically spend no more, or even less, money. Any team that takes on that whole contract are absolute fools.

I don't see it myself, but supposedly, the D'backs want him to boost lagging ticket sales. What I don't understand it why they would have to give up players to get him.

I don't see it myself, but supposedly, the D'backs want him to boost lagging ticket sales. What I don't understand it why they would have to give up players to get him.

Me either, although they will give up something. I think it's becoming clear that a.) the Yanks will be paying part of the salary and b.) there will be a player or players coming back. To me, I'd expect them to pay at least 6 million of the 16 million he's due, and I would only give them one marginal prospect. The guy should really have no trade value at this point.