SportsWrath

Question About The 1993 Giants

nosebleedjints

Mostly subjective, but try to use facts.

Do you believe if we had beaten Phoenix or Dallas in the last two games to go 12 or 13 wins, that with the 1st seed, we would have gone to the Super Bowl?

That was my first season of really following and getting into football.

This was a good team that looked like a contender, a serious thorn to Dallas, only to choke at the end of the season and run out of gas in San Francisco.

Isn't it true that if we win just one, even if we lost the Dallas game to have 12 wins, we still have the division, number seed, and do you think our fate would have been much better, perhaps a Super Bowl rematch, or was SF going to be a bad matchup irregardless and Dallas with Emmit back after holding out a team of destiny?

Also, how did we choke that badly?

The 1993 team struck me as being a lot better than the 2000 bunch.

Do you believe if we had beaten Phoenix or Dallas in the last two games to go 12 or 13 wins, that with the 1st seed, we would have gone to the Super Bowl?

This was a good team that looked like a contender, a serious thorn to Dallas, only to choke at the end of the season and run out of gas in San Francisco.

Isn't it true that if we win just one, even if we lost the Dallas game to have 12 wins, we still have the division, number seed, and do you think our fate would have been much better, perhaps a Super Bowl rematch, or was SF going to be a bad matchup irregardless and Dallas with Emmit back after holding out a team of destiny?

Eh, what's the point in guessing "what if"? I think that team went about as far as it could. I can tell you this, though: The 2006 Giants SUCK. :furious:

happy christmas Jim, hope Santa brings you that clue you wanted. :TU:

The 1993 Giants were a team that Dan Reeves(unlike his predecessor Handley)realized had to rely on 2 things, a 3/4 defense led by LT and a strong running game and pinpoint ball control passing by Simms. Its almost as if Reeves milked the last of the 80's squads out of this team. Hampton had a good year as did Simms. The reason they probably lost that game in San Fran was because the Niners were just starting to hit their stride with Young as the QB(won SB the next year) and had a much more athletic offense led by Young, Rice, Taylor, Jones and Waters. The Giants played the Cowboys that year in the season finale as well as anyone all year did. The Giants also benefitted from Emmit Smith holding out and the Cowboys starting the year 0-2 as he missed the first 2 weeks.

Probably should have been a better end result with all those variables in the Giants favor, but I see that as a swan song for the 80's team and one last hurrah for the SB heroes of 21 and 25.

The 1993 Giants were a team that Dan Reeves(unlike his predecessor Handley)realized had to rely on 2 things, a 3/4 defense led by LT and a strong running game and pinpoint ball control passing by Simms. Its almost as if Reeves milked the last of the 80's squads out of this team. Hampton had a good year as did Simms. The reason they probably lost that game in San Fran was because the Niners were just starting to hit their stride with Young as the QB(won SB the next year) and had a much more athletic offense led by Young, Rice, Taylor, Jones and Waters. The Giants played the Cowboys that year in the season finale as well as anyone all year did. The Giants also benefitted from Emmit Smith holding out and the Cowboys starting the year 0-2 as he missed the first 2 weeks.

Probably should have been a better end result with all those variables in the Giants favor, but I see that as a swan song for the 80's team and one last hurrah for the SB heroes of 21 and 25.

In your view, if Reeves or Parcells coaches us in 91 or 92, do we have a similar contending team?

This would almost show how bad Handley was, the fact that the year after the Giants were back.

I wish there was a book written about the mid 80s to early 90s Giants, but I checked amazon, nothing.

All they write about is baseball and the Cowboys. :brooding:

Dude you writing a book report or something? I noticed you posted the same questions on the Giants MB.

In your view, if Reeves or Parcells coaches us in 91 or 92, do we have a similar contending team?

This would almost show how bad Handley was, the fact that the year after the Giants were back.

No question, Handley tried to place his stamp on this team by annointing Hostetler the starting QB and using a "read and react" defensive scheme led by a coordinator Rod Rust whom Carl Banks once almost physically assaulted in the lockeroom of a game in 1992. Carl has mentioned it numerous times and it stemmed from Rod implying that these guys could not play defense. This of course was a defense that still employed LT, Banks, Marshall, Howard, Pepper Johnson, Mark Collins, Myron Guyton, Greg Jackson, SB winning players.

That 2 year eara was a disaster and something I wish to long forget.