SportsWrath

Yanks now back in the ring for Zito...

so-cal dub

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – You knew Barry Zito wouldn't come cheap. You didn't think he'd come easy either, did you?

There is no doubt the Rangers are in on Zito. The New York Mets, it appears, aren't going to be scared off by Zito's dalliance with Texas. Seattle may now be forced to play harder because it lost out on Jason Schmidt. And, Wednesday evening, the possibility arose that the New York Yankees just may enter the fray, too.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman whisked away for dinner with Zito's agent, Scott Boras, on Wednesday. Meanwhile, a source with knowledge of the Mets' stance indicated the club was in the Zito hunt for good.

While Boras said he expected the Rangers to be among the teams still pursuing Zito when he trimmed the list of contenders this weekend, the day's events left the Rangers realistic that they may not land Zito even if they make the most lucrative financial offer.

It's expected to take a six-year commitment perhaps worth $90 million or more to land Zito. The Rangers still have not made an official offer.

"My first choice would be to have Barry," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said. "But if that doesn't work out, we will move on. We are working on some parallel paths."

The Rangers have continued to explore trades. Oakland, of all teams, might be willing to discuss one of its starters if the Rangers are willing to part with some prime young pitching. The Rangers are still surveying the free-agent landscape.

Daniels has made an offer to lefty Mark Mulder, a former teammate of Zito's in Oakland, and is expected to receive a counter offer from agent Gregg Clifton this weekend. Clifton said Mulder had been impressed by Daniels' willingness to fly to Arizona for a face-to-face meeting two weeks ago.

Mulder, who also has received significant interest from St. Louis, probably won't be ready for opening day. He is recovering from shoulder surgery, and mid-May may be the most realistic window for return.

Mulder, 29, would be viewed more as a potential post-All-Star break contributor.

The Rangers' best-case scenario would allow them to add Zito and Mulder to a group that already includes Kevin Millwood and Vicente Padilla (providing there were no issues with his physical Wednesday).

"Going into the off-season, I thought that in a perfect world, we'd add three starting pitchers," Daniels said. "We think two would be good, but one may end up being reality, too."

A longer shot is lefty Andy Pettitte. After some personal soul-searching, Pettitte decided Wednesday that he would play in 2007.

Agent Alan Hendricks said the Rangers would be a potential suitor for Pettitte, a Houston resident. The Yankees, however, could be a roadblock for the Rangers on Pettitte, as well. He spent the first nine seasons of his career with the Yankees, and they have also expressed interest.

"He has strong connections in Houston and New York," Daniels said. "But we will talk at some point to see if there is some mutual interest."

As for center field, the Rangers continue to remain in contact with Kenny Lofton and Jay Payton. While Lofton waits on the Rangers' pitching moves, Daniels had another conversation with Payton's agent, Craig Landis, on Wednesday.

I think the Rangers will be the ones more willing to give him what he wants, i said weeks ago that 6 years and 90 million would be the number that gets him. I'm hoping we have the deal sealer with Washington as our manager.

Mulder would be nice, i doubt he's back by may though, most likely would get his first start in June or maybe even July, still would be nice to have a fresh arm come in right before the break.

Petite? Not sold on him, anyone who is questioning his desire to play is not someone i want on the team, when you have to talk yourself into playing your hearts not in it.

I think the Rangers will be the ones more willing to give him what he wants, i said weeks ago that 6 years and 90 million would be the number that gets him. I'm hoping we have the deal sealer with Washington as our manager.

Mulder would be nice, i doubt he's back by may though, most likely would get his first start in June or maybe even July, still would be nice to have a fresh arm come in right before the break.

Petite? Not sold on him, anyone who is questioning his desire to play is not someone i want on the team, when you have to talk yourself into playing your hearts not in it.

I think in the long run the Rangers and the Mets have the best chances of landing him. I think by just talking to the Yankees is to garner interest from other teams and possible drive up that ole dollar sign.

No offense, but I'm willing to bet he goes to a team that is a contender. I dont think the Yanks will get him, and I agree with JR about trying to drive his price up, plus Boras has other clients than just Zito.

No offense, but I'm willing to bet he goes to a team that is a contender. I dont think the Yanks will get him, and I agree with JR about trying to drive his price up, plus Boras has other clients than just Zito.

Dude, you're underplaying the Ron Washington connection. Ron was very adament in saying the Rangers will win this year, and Zito called like the day he got hired to say he was interested in coming to Texas.

Dude, you're underplaying the Ron Washington connection. Ron was very adament in saying the Rangers will win this year, and Zito called like the day he got hired to say he was interested in coming to Texas.

one name ....

Rick Peterson

Anyway Boras can care less with his clients about who is about to be a winning team(see AROD) or what is the best fit(see Kevin Brown)its about who offers the most dough. WIth Boras clients is ALWAYS about th dough and always who offers the most!

• 2 weeks later...
It's not Cashen driving up his price, and according to my paper, unless the Mets up their offer, they're going to miss out.

This market is over inflated. KC, of all teams, signed Meche for 55 mil, 5 yrs. :cwy:

Yes Frank Cashen has been doing a wondeful job keeping salaries down, in fact he has not signed a free agent since 1990 when he resigned Frank Viola.