SportsWrath

Mets acquire Burgos from Royals

Reaper

The Mets and Royals were the first teams to step to the podium at this year's Winter Meetings, completing a swap on Wednesday that sent reliever Ambiorix Burgos to New York in exchange for starter Brian Bannister.

Burgos, a hard-throwing, 22-year-old, was 4-5 with a 5.52 ERA in 68 appearances for Kansas City in 2006. Burgos recorded 18 saves as the Royals' closer, but blew 12 opportunities. In 73 1/3 innings, Burgos allowed 83 hits and 29 runs -- 28 earned -- walking 37 and striking out 72.

Mets general manager Omar Minaya described Burgos as a power pitcher, one capable of reaching velocities higher than 100 mph at times.

Minaya said Burgos -- whose 137 strikeouts over the last two seasons were the most of any Royals reliever -- would give the team additional depth for manager Willie Randolph's middle-inning relief corps.

"I'm expecting him to come into camp and be one of the guys [that] Willie's going to have options to have," Minaya said. "He's a young kid and we see [an] upside."

Burgos had issues with consistency and command at times during the 2006 season, as evidenced by his 12 blown saves and 16 home runs allowed for Kansas City. Minaya said he believed those struggles were due to inexperience, pointing out that Burgos was just two years removed from pitching in Class A ball.

"[in Burgos], we feel we were able to get a young power arm into our 'pen that's still developing," Minaya said. "I think we feel we have numbers in pitching. It's a trade we were happy to do, and just continues to improve our bullpen."

The deal, Minaya said, helps lessen the impact of losing reliever Chad Bradford to the Baltimore Orioles. It would also not preclude the Mets from continuing to pursue free agent Guillermo Mota, who will be unable to pitch for the first 50 games of the regular season after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance.

The transaction developed quickly between Minaya and Royals general manager Dayton Moore, progressing through business hours on Tuesday and reaching completion in concept by mid-afternoon.

"For me, this was a baseball trade," Minaya said.

I can't help thinking this is a Latino thing with Minaya. He won't be satisfied until the entire Mets roster is made up of all Latinos.

You are the biggest fucking moron I have ever seen. Yeah, it can't be because of the fact that Bannister had no place on our team and we are interested in acquiring a fireballer prospect for the bullpen... it's just cause he's Hispanic. I bet that Omar can't wait to get rid of Wright, Glavine, Wagner, Maine, Lo Duca, etc. for some hispanic players.

Go kill yourself. Seriously, I mean it.

I can't help thinking this is a Latino thing with Minaya. He won't be satisfied until the entire Mets roster is made up of all Latinos.

He's really hurting his chances of doing that by acquiring all these non-"Latino" guys.

Paul Lo Duca

Billy Wagner

John Maine

David Wright (Re-signed)

Darren Oliver

Chad Bradford (left the team, but acquired by Minaya last year)

Tom Glavine(Re-signed)

Damian Easley

Jon Adkins

Adam Bostick

Shawn Green

Ben Johnson

The Mets reportedly are looking at Barry Zito, Mark Mulder, Harden and Haren.. none of whom are "Latino".