SportsWrath

Manny Ramirez Trade

LorfTVP

I'll have you know that in my mind, a Manny Ramirez trade would not be in the best interest of the fans or organization. The Red Sox are currently involved in discussions with multiple teams for the services of one Manny Ramirez though it has recently been limited to the three NL West teams, the Giants, Dodgers, and Padres with the Rangers unwilling to part with Michael Young and the Angels' signing of Gary Matthews Jr. Any deal involving the Padres would be centered around Jake Peavy, the Padres' erstwhile ace, or reliever Scott Linebrink.

There has been no word from the team so when you hear names speculated it is solely from the reporters and sportswriters. The Giants have had interest in Manny, having previously dealt with a bigger headache in Barry Bonds (who is reportedly in the A's sights) but are thin in the farm system and have few players on the big league team under 35. The best option in terms of trading partners are the Dodgers who have a highly rated farm system and potential closer Jonathon Broxton to trade.

I still think trading away a player of Manny's caliber, the man who hit 30+ homeruns and knocked in 100+ rbi in nine straight years with a career .314 BA and a career SLG and OPS ranking 8th and 9th ALL TIME respectively. Just wrap your head around that for a moment...all time...including every single great player to ever play the game. With an AAV of about 18 million, Manny's contract will barely cover JD Drew's reporting asking cost of 14 million...which I find outrageous. I wouldn't mind him but with the possibility of a Manny trade, it is far from worth it. Experts say that the Sox will be unable to sign both Drew and Lugo and get bullpen help and possibly a backup catcher without trading away Manny's salary. The difference is only 4 million, what does that get you, a middle reliever? I guess they'd try to make up the difference in talent in who they'd get back from the trade, but still, the Red Sox would need major league talent. I just don't see any reason in trading away such a prolific hitter for a question mark like JD Drew, though I do admire his ability as a hitter. The effect on David Ortiz should be astronomical. Logic suggests that the Red Sox are looking for a more balanced lineup that doesn't center around the 3-4 holes, but from what I've seen, the problem is that the fifth hole never delivered. Drew would be perfect with Manny, but without...ouch. If traded to the NL West, Manny would immediately become the best hitter in the division, and that says something about his ability.

What I want to do is simply take the risk with Wily Mo Pena in right field, sign Lugo, and put the Drew money into the bullpen...but hey, I'm not GM. I just think that we'll live to regret a Ramirez trade. And VG, what's wrong with asking for Michael Young for Manny Ramirez, that's reasonable. Odds are if Manny is traded the Sox will only get .80 to .90 cents on the dollar in return...I don't like that possibility.

Good post Lorf, as for Manny for Young... as for dollars and cents and stats, that trade would favore the Rangers. Mike is gonna gets paid afyter his contract is up and right now Manny is a bargain big time power hitter. problem is Manny is just another me first big numbers guy who team mates will not rally around. mike went to the coach and volunteered to change positions to better the team when Sori came to town. he went from an all star caliber 2nd basemen to an allstar SS. He's the team captain and someone everyone on the team RESPECTS and want to play with. He's not a head case that causes as many problems as he fixes. I'd love to ave Manny, but I'd rather trade Tex and one of our stud minor league pitchers than Mike.

Unfortunately, each day i think more and more this trade will go through. The rangers have Kinsler at 2nd and a guy in the minors (Aquaris or something, can't remember the spelling0 whi is supposed to be a big time future SS. Without Young, this team is nothing, thats the bottom line.

Paragraphs, Lorf.....Paragraphs..

And to think I'm the English major...but paragraphs escape me through internet mediums. But VG, as far as the trade winds are blowing, they're saying that the Rangers are out of the race. We'll see.

the only reason im even considering trading peavy for ramirez is cuz of peavy's tendinitis that he apparently isn't getting surgery for this offseason. i would guess that's why the team is willing to trade him cuz otherwise they're fucking nuts.

and if you traded us ramirez for a package centered around scott linebrink that would be us continuing the trend of taking turns ripping each other off.

and i agree, he shouldn't be traded. ortiz will walk 150 times a season if u do

Personally, I'd take Young in a heartbeat, or Andruw Jones for that matter, who's also been mentioned (though more by reporters than team personnel). I was equally enthusiastic about Peavy, but I didn't realize he's having lingering arm troubles. That'd be a big red flag for me.

I guess it's probably time to trade Manny. It sounds like he doesn't want to play in Boston anymore under any circumstances. Yeah, it'll hurt Papi's production, but what's the alternative? I feel like they do, however, need to get back proven Major League talent in return, and preferably a hitter.

What they need for Manny is a top prospect at OF and a guy who can be a closer for them.

That means the Mets lead in that race with Milledge and Heilman as far as I know. And I'm not pulling for that deal.

Omar is not interested. Milledge isn't the best OF prospect on our team anymore.

What they need for Manny is a top prospect at OF and a guy who can be a closer for them.

That means the Mets lead in that race with Milledge and Heilman as far as I know. And I'm not pulling for that deal.

If I were a Met fan, I'd give those two in a heartbeat. But with Milledge's showing at Fenway last year, I'll pass, thanks. Besides, the only way I want to trade Manny is for a proven ML hitter.

There's lots of question marks to this, anyway. It's been said that Manny will veto any trade to an NL team. That would immediately eliminate all of the most likely destinations (SD, Philly, LA).

If I were a Met fan, I'd give those two in a heartbeat. But with Milledge's showing at Fenway last year, I'll pass, thanks. Besides, the only way I want to trade Manny is for a proven ML hitter.

There's lots of question marks to this, anyway. It's been said that Manny will veto any trade to an NL team. That would immediately eliminate all of the most likely destinations (SD, Philly, LA).

If we trade Edge, I want pitching out of it. I'd be fine with the trade for sure but in two or three years, I think Edge would be having his way at Fenway and Heilman would be an excellent reliever for you guys. I'm fine with doing the trade, and fine without doing it.

Okay, the winter meetings have come and now the hot stove is really going to heat up. Okay, recent news has the Red Sox souring on signing coveted Julio Lugo with the offer of arbitration by the Dodgers since that will cost the Red Sox a first round draft pick that they value quite highly. Lugo is reportedly asking for a reasonable 4 year 36 million dollar deal but that should go up with competition from the Mets and Cubs. Also consider that Lugo is willing to play CF which should increase the number of teams that are looking at him and his asking price.

Maybe I only want to see this because it would increase the likelihood of Manny staying. If the Sox were to not sign Lugo and instead pursue a SS option via trade, that would save money and possibly allow the Sox to play a Manny, Crisp, Drew OF. Granted this would leave them weak in the middle infield with Pedroia and X. The Sox could pursue a trade for Orlando Cabrera (again). Though his salary is 7.5 million this year and 9 million next year, a trade for Cabrera would free up money for the Angels who overpaid for Speier and allow them to play uber-prospects Erick Aybar or Brandon Wood. This is probably just a pipe dream though. The Angels are also shopping around Chone Figgins but with a salary of 2.5 million, he is more than affordable, and they will only trade him for the right package.

I dunno, money is the most difficult thing right now. The winter meetings will answer a lot of questions...despite the fact that winter isn't for another three weeks.

lugo's goign to the cubs, especially if al lhe's asking for is 4 years 36 mil

Plus you gotta point out the Lou Piniella connection. Now, we'll see how Piniella's presence stunts the young growth of Cubs players...we all know of his love for veterans.