SportsWrath

Hufnagel is done

BigBlueArrington

I would like to see some kind of link here. I am not doubting it because it HAS to be done but I am not convinced about this. Shaking things up is a good call, especially for the offense. We can survive with the injuries on defense but we have to score some points to make up for it. It is possible.

Unfortunately we might have to wait till next year. The sad part is, I always knew something was wrong. How can an offense, with the potentiall to put up 40 points per game, with all the stars and weapons we possess - struggle week in and week out?

Sad part is, if Tiki does retire,we will neevr see what could have been one of the most dynamic offenses of our time.

I would like to see some kind of link here. I am not doubting it because it HAS to be done but I am not convinced about this. Shaking things up is a good call, especially for the offense. We can survive with the injuries on defense but we have to score some points to make up for it. It is possible.

Yeah, BA! Hook us up with some links! :)

Unfortunately we might have to wait till next year. The sad part is, I always knew something was wrong. How can an offense, with the potentiall to put up 40 points per game, with all the stars and weapons we possess - struggle week in and week out?

Sad part is, if Tiki does retire,we will neevr see what could have been one of the most dynamic offenses of our time.

we might not, he might not be fired like what the Ravens did to Fasshole, but you never know what can happen. I think General Tom taking the play calling might be the best thing for the team.

MSG.com

[b]A flawed system[/b]

Nov 22, 2006

VACCHIANO'S BLOG

Eli Manning is going to take most of the blame for the Giants’ recent offensive struggles, and given the way he’s playing lately much of that is deserved.

But when a player - - especially a quarterback - - is struggling as badly as Manning is at the moment, it is the coach’s job to find a way to pull him out. They must find a way to make him comfortable, put him in position to make better plays, and keep the rest of the team afloat around him.

Right now, Tom Coughlin and his staff aren’t doing any of that very well.

Put more simply: Their offensive gameplan over the last few weeks has been badly flawed, and it has contributed to Manning’s maddening slump as much as anything else. They abandon the run far too often - - an unfortunate trademark of offensive coordinator John Hufnagel’s offense - - they’re much too in love with home-run passes, and hours pass sometimes when they seem to forget that Jeremy Shockey is on their team.

Just look at what happened on Monday night in the Giants’ 26-10 loss in Jacksonville. Manning struggled badly for the second straight game, completing just 19 of 41 passes for 230 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions. Tiki Barber, meanwhile, only carried the ball 10 times. And it’s not like the game was a blowout, either. It was within 10 points for the first 38 minutes.

Coughlin has to make Manning feel more comfortable in the play-calling. (AP)

Yet somehow the Giants only managed to run the ball on 13 of 56 plays. And once again, Shockey was a complete non-factor in the first half.

Asked the next day if the play-calling - - or the play caller - - is flawed, Coughlin wasn’t buying the premise.

“That’s an easy thing to say after a game when you’ve only run the ball 14 times,” Coughlin said. “And that’s not the play caller. We weren’t making any yardage with the run. We were not in sync offensively. Our passing game had no rhythm and we needed to do something to help our tempo and allow for Eli (Manning) to get into some type of rhythm. - This guy is in complete deniel

“It’d be nice to be able to say, yeah, we needed to run the ball more, which we do. But it was not necessarily the play-calling or the ratio of run-to-pass as much as (a need) to get the quarterback and the offense in some kind of rhythm.”

In other words, when Manning is struggling, the Giants’ solution is to have him throw more.

It also doesn’t make any sense that Brandon Jacobs, who was gaining nearly five yards per carry, has had just five carries in the last two weeks. And it also doesn’t make any sense that Shockey has had just 10 catches in 10 first halves this season.

Coughlin has talked about getting back to “New York Giants football.” Well, the hallmark of that is not a 45-yard throw downfield. It’s power running and short passes, especially to their big tight end. Those are also the best tools to use when trying to get a struggling quarterback back on his game.

And that’s especially true of the run, which is what Giants football is based on. The MVP of this team is Barber. Shouldn’t the ball be in his hands as often as it possibly can?

“My job is to help this team win, and the opportunities I get will dictate that,” Barber said. “If it gets to a point where I feel I’m not doing anything, then generally our team is in trouble.

That’s why the solution to the Giants’ offensive woes is much simpler than trying to figure out and fix what’s wrong with their slumping quarterback. The Giants need to get the ball to their playmakers and let them make plays. Don’t wait until the second half to throw the ball to Shockey. Get him involved early in the game.

And no matter what else happens, don’t leave Barber standing on the sidelines feeling “insignificant.” No team can win when its best player isn’t even on the field.

Eli can't use the old 'young and inexperienced' tag any more. (AP)

GIANT THOUGHTS

Just because the play calling is flawed, doesn’t mean Manning is off the hook. He’s not a young quarterback anymore and he’s not inexperienced. It’s about time he played like the quarterback he’s supposed to be.

His last two games were, statistically, the worst back-to-back games he’s had since Games 3 and 4 of his rookie season. He’s supposed to be way beyond that now. Unfortunately for the Giants, he’s their only option. Putting in Jared Lorenzen or Tim Hasselbeck would just make this situation worse.

I still believe Antonio Pierce, and not Michael Strahan, is the heart and soul of the Giants’ defense, but he hasn’t exactly picked up the slack for all the team’s missing pieces. Maybe all the injuries are just too much - - he certainly indicated that after the Jaguars game.

But most of the injured players aren’t coming back, so someone has to step up and start making plays. Pierce is the best, and possibly only, person to do that on defense. He’s going to have to start having an impact if the defense is going to have any chance down the stretch.

DE Osi Umenyiora (hip flexor) began doing individual drills this week, but he’s still at last two weeks away – and probably more – from returning to a game. The same goes for DE Strahan (foot), who hasn’t been cleared to practice yet.

Both of these guys will need a week or two to get back into game shape and to make sure they can actually push off, get leverage and do all the stuff they need to do on the defensive line. And even if they can return in time to help salvage the Giants’ season, don’t expect either of them to be the same player. That means the pass rush is likely to be in trouble for at least the rest of the year.

There are reports that the Giants will be parting ways with Huff. The players have already moved on and he only still employed by the Giants FO because of Coughlins persistence.

Stay tuned.......

I don't know you BBA but you sure put out some questionable stuff. First, you use an article that's at least 4 years old to suggest that Luke will be back sooner and now this. I sure hope you're not pulling this stuff out of your ass.

I don't know you BBA but you sure put out some questionable stuff. First, you use an article that's at least 4 years old to suggest that Luke will be back sooner and now this. I sure hope you're not pulling this stuff out of your ass.

Regardless of whether the article was from 4 years ago;

The purpose was to search for players who had similar injuries to the one the Luke has and the timeframe it took them to come back.

Idont understand why TC doesnttake over playcaling. Is TC in bed with Huff or wht? :TD:

New York's first unofficial same-sex marriage is Coach Cheerleader and HuffHole...these guys have been switching off on each other for years. :LMAO: "Next time I am on top baby."

we might not, he might not be fired like what the Ravens did to Fasshole, but you never know what can happen. I think General Tom taking the play calling might be the best thing for the team.

Fuck, I would take coach Hanging Metaphor ("This team is going to the playoffs...I am driving da bus...cashing in my chip...etc.) as OC over Coach Cheerleader's fuck buddy anyday. At least he knew how to use Shockey, playaction and roll-outs for Christ's sake.

Wide receiver Plaxico Burress, though not directly taking a swipe at Hufnagel or Coughlin, was frustrated about what he considered the team's unwillingness to call the plays that they practiced in the days leading up to the game.

What? They practice plays for the game and then don't even use them? Jesus christ I knew Huffie was insane but this is just flat out braindead.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Abandon the run, throw the ball deep, and forgetting about Shockey. Same thing each game we lose, same thing that has happened in the past couple of games even when we win, and the scariest part of it all each weeks gameplan looks eerily the same.

good now lets see if we can get rid of coughlin im so tired of that dumbass as a head coach if you see your oc sucks and has his head up his as its your job to step up and do something. tom has just sat back and let it happen. you know why? because he is a fucking piece of shit thats why. the man is horrible and diserves to be publically hanged an have one rope tied to each ball and one to his dick and send tiki, jacobs, and shockey running with the other ends of the rope in opposite directions