SportsWrath

Mets Acquire OF Ben Johnson from Padres

Blue Jeans

NAPLES, Fla. - The Mets added another outfielder to their left-field mix Wednesday, acquiring Ben Johnson and right-hander Jon Adkins from the Padres for right-hander Heath Bell and left-hander Royce Ring, FOXSports.com has learned.

The Mets, who are not actively trying to re-sign free-agent left fielder Cliff Floyd, entered the general managers' meetings with Endy Chavez and Lastings Milledge as their options in left.

Johnson is viewed by scouts as more of a backup player, but it is possible that the Mets could trade Milledge as part of a larger deal later this off-season. They also could acquire a more established left fielder in either free agency or a trade.

The additions of Bell and Ring increase the Padres' bullpen depth at a time when they are entertaining offers for right-hander Scott Linebrink. The Padres have been adept in recent years at acquiring pitchers with spotty track records and developing them into quality relievers.

I like Bell and Ring but I don't think they had a place on our team. Ring may be a good one.

ben johnson's a nice player and i like his upside a lot. i won't rave about him like i raved to you guys about nady last offseason though because i simply haven't seen enough of him. i was looking forward to seeing him get a lot of at bats this season but it just didn't happen. omar is good at finding these types of gems though, he was smart enough to know about nady and the same guys for guys like sanchez, bradofrd, etc. the fact that omar felt compelled to trade for him kind of tells me that i am right to like him as a player. omar knows what he's doing and i think you got yourselves a good player.

i take the same stance with padres and bullpen pitchers. although it's annoying every offseason to see the pads just trade away good bp pitchers and replace them with new ones, i at least know they know how to evaluate bp pitchers. i just wish they'd do more each offseason instead of keeping their strengths solid. i like heath bell a lot. royce ring seems to have fallen off from blue chipper to possibly journeyman. i hope that's not the case and i'll trust that the pads know what they're doing.

adkins is a very nice pitcher. i liked him a lot but we dont really need him. his numbers are a little skewed though as he gave up 6 runs over the last 10 days of the season. he's better than his numbers indicate

ben johnson's a nice player and i like his upside a lot. i won't rave about him like i raved to you guys about nady last offseason though because i simply haven't seen enough of him. i was looking forward to seeing him get a lot of at bats this season but it just didn't happen. omar is good at finding these types of gems though, he was smart enough to know about nady and the same guys for guys like sanchez, bradofrd, etc. the fact that omar felt compelled to trade for him kind of tells me that i am right to like him as a player. omar knows what he's doing and i think you got yourselves a good player.

i take the same stance with padres and bullpen pitchers. although it's annoying every offseason to see the pads just trade away good bp pitchers and replace them with new ones, i at least know they know how to evaluate bp pitchers. i just wish they'd do more each offseason instead of keeping their strengths solid. i like heath bell a lot. royce ring seems to have fallen off from blue chipper to possibly journeyman. i hope that's not the case and i'll trust that the pads know what they're doing.

adkins is a very nice pitcher. i liked him a lot but we dont really need him. his numbers are a little skewed though as he gave up 6 runs over the last 10 days of the season. he's better than his numbers indicate

Ring was not working with Peterson, and the situations we put him it were not helping him get the best experience (close and late with 2 lefty batters to face, walked them both). I still think he could be a very good player in the league, a lot like Pedro Feliciano on the Mets, who came up, then stayed in the minors for a while and then did amazing this season. Heath Bell, on the other hand I don't think much of. I'm sure he's already bought a home in both San Diego and Portland because he'll need a place to stay when the shuttle doesn't arrive on time. I think he'll always be a wanderer, a AAAA player if he continues the level of play he's at, but I'm not saying I couldn't see him become a good player because he does get his strikeouts and that pays off sometimes.