SportsWrath

Thoughts on Manny Lawson in 2nd round

uconngiants

If he is there would you take him and make him a OLB especially if in the future we run a 3-4 Defense

He is 6-6 245 and ran a 4.59 40 he is great speed for a DE and even good speed for OLB he might need to put on some weight because 245 is not a lot when you are 6-6 but i think it would be something to look into...

Then agian i am not found into changing peoples postions around and we do not run a 3-4

but what are your thoughts

The guy is certainly an intriuging prospect...but I feel we are a few pieces on defese away from making a seriuos run at the super bowl, and there are a few players that would offer more of an immediate impact. Lawson would likely be more of a project, seeing as he would have to learn a new position as well as adjust to the NFL.

But, if he were there in the second round, and we had not taken care of LB yet, than that is almost a no brainer

The guy is certainly an intriuging prospect...but I feel we are a few pieces on defese away from making a seriuos run at the super bowl, and there are a few players that would offer more of an immediate impact. Lawson would likely be more of a project, seeing as he would have to learn a new position as well as adjust to the NFL.

But, if he were there in the second round, and we had not taken care of LB yet, than that is almost a no brainer

You make a good point.

Keep in mind that it looks as if any LB we draft won't start as a rookie (unless he kicks ass and takes names in camp and preseason). As it is, Emmons will be our starting WLB in 2006. So if we draft a super-talented but somewhat raw LB in Lawson (DE conversion) or Thomas Howard or Brandon Johnson (one of my personal favorites), they won't be pressed into action early on.

Keep in mind that it looks as if any LB we draft won't start as a rookie (unless he kicks ass and takes names in camp and preseason). As it is, Emmons will be our starting WLB in 2006. So if we draft a super-talented but somewhat raw LB in Lawson (DE conversion) or Thomas Howard or Brandon Johnson (one of my personal favorites), they won't be pressed into action early on.

If we were to go OLB in the first round I feel we would be better off drafting one of the many talented college LB's, rather than taking a chance on a DE/OLB tweener. If we grabbed D'Qwell or SImms or Ryans we would get a player who we have a good idea of where they will eventually fit in the defense. Also, while Lawson's combine numbers may be stunning, there are quite a few LB's in the draft that may not be better athletes but are better players, rather than just a great prospect. Not to mention that our weakness is at WLB, and while he obviously has the pass rushing skills to play that position, can he play well in coverage? Will he be able to read plays well enough from the LB position? He has a few questions around him, but so does every other LB in the draft.

But if Lawson was our first round pick in this years draft, you wouldn't be hearing any complaints from me.

If we were to go OLB in the first round I feel we would be better off drafting one of the many talented college LB's, rather than taking a chance on a DE/OLB tweener. If we grabbed D'Qwell or SImms or Ryans we would get a player who we have a good idea of where they will eventually fit in the defense. Also, while Lawson's combine numbers may be stunning, there are quite a few LB's in the draft that may not be better athletes but are better players, rather than just a great prospect. Not to mention that our weakness is at WLB, and while he obviously has the pass rushing skills to play that position, can he play well in coverage? Will he be able to read plays well enough from the LB position? He has a few questions around him, but so does every other LB in the draft.

But if Lawson was our first round pick in this years draft, you wouldn't be hearing any complaints from me.

I think you are selling Lawson short as a football player. The guy had 13 sacks last year, and he played LB at times in college (he did well, too). He certainly has the athleticism to do well in coverage...

I think you are selling Lawson short as a football player. The guy had 13 sacks last year, and he played LB at times in college (he did well, too). He certainly has the athleticism to do well in coverage...

No one is debating that he is athletic enough to do well in coverage...But being athletic enough and actually being able to cover are two different things. But I only saw him play once, so it is not really enough to form a good opinion of the player, so he may be far better in coverage than I am giving him credit for.

Edited by shockjock

BTW as i have posted before my first 2 picks goes as follows...

25. D'Qwell Jackson

56. Jason Allen

i was really throwing it up there for debate

That's what I'm leaning towards right now. That, or Whitner at 56....

No one is debating that he is athletic enough to do well in coverage...But being athletic enough and actually being able to cover are two different things. But I only saw him play once, so it is not really enough to form a good opinion of the player, so he may be far better in coverage than I am giving him credit for.

I remember a he played LB in a game against Notre Dame either last year or the year before and was a one-man wrecking crew. You are right in anticipating a learning curve for him, but in limited opportunities I feel he has demonstrated that he does have coverage skills that can be developed. He is not exclusively a downhill player like other De/OLB hybrids tend to be.

In any case, just hope this kid doesn't go to Dallas...

DeMarcus Ware was a tweener as well and he played the LB in a 3/4 system, obviously the 4/3 OLB is much different, but I think Lawson could be a long term answer at that position. He is very athletic. Do not forget Reggie Torbor was a bit of a tweener coming out of Auburn and his coverage ability although not spectacular has gotten better. I like Lawson and would hope he is there at 25.

Tom Coughlin was paying alot of attention to Manny Lawson at his workout

if he is on the table at #25, we will very likely be a giant

Lawson has played LB at college before, he has great speed and athleticism (significantly better than almost all the LBs this year)

just look at these combine results: (from nfldraftcountdown.com)

Manny Lawson North Carolina St. 6'5", 241 lbs, 4.43 40 time

A.J. Hawk Ohio St. 6'1", 248 lbs, 4.59 40 time

Thomas Howard U.T.E.P. 6'3", 239 lbs, 4.42 40 time

DeMeco Ryans Alabama, 6'1", 236 lbs, 4.62 40 time

Ernie Sims Florida St. 5'11", 231 lbs, 4.50 40 time

You don't draft for immediate impact, you draft for the best player in 2-3 years

take Osi Umenyiora for example, he didn't impact right away, but ended up being a great value pick in the late 2nd round

btw some other pretty good LBs such as Mike Vrabel and Teddy Bruschi were college DEs

Edited by BigPete

Money, good point about rookie LB not starting. A lot of people forget this. I saw Manny play only twice this season and he played great both times. Here's his scouting report. For those of you questioning his ability to drop into pass coverage (which is key if he's going to play LB) this report makes it sound like he at least has the ability to learn it. I would gladly take him first round.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...annylawson.html

Money, good point about rookie LB not starting. A lot of people forget this. I saw Manny play only twice this season and he played great both times. Here's his scouting report. For those of you questioning his ability to drop into pass coverage (which is key if he's going to play LB) this report makes it sound like he at least has the ability to learn it. I would gladly take him first round.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...annylawson.html

Lawson has better physical tools than every LB except possibly Thomas Howard, even then, he has more upside in my opinion

Lawson's coverage skills will need to be developed, but he has the physical tools to be very good in coverage.

Lawson will take time to develop, but he will become a genuine stud, especially at WLB where he has more freedom to use his speed and athleticim to make plays

Lawson has better physical tools than every LB except possibly Thomas Howard, even then, he has more upside in my opinion

Lawson's coverage skills will need to be developed, but he has the physical tools to be very good in coverage.

Lawson will take time to develop, but he will become a genuine stud, especially at WLB where he has more freedom to use his speed and athleticim to make plays

I don't know why people keep saying that he will need to be developed. He is simply a phenomenal athlete and I don't necessarily see him having more trouble adjusting to the NFL than say, Thomas Howard. I believe given a season as a backup or occasional spot starter, Lawson will be ready to take over for Emmons.