SportsWrath

2006 Salary Cap

parlintm

4 PM today is the deadline for a deal to get done. The chances of something happening before then are seemingly very low. This will be an unprecedented offseason for the NFL. Some teams are going to get absolutely killed (redskins for one) while others might benefit. Here are two links that are applicable. The first is about the discussions and implications of what happens when/if the negotiations fail. The other lists the cap space for each team:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=2348970

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2349505

My take on this, is that the Giants will escape relatively unscathed since we are currently under the cap. Since there should be an overabundance of talent hitting the market this year, the price of some of these FA's should drop significantly. Good old, supply and demand. Things should proceed slowly once FA opens up since teams will be feeling their way. Hopefully the EA will be able to take advantage of the situation and land some cheap, quality players to help us get to the superbowl.

Is it me or are the Eagles ALWAYS $14-16Million under the salary cap?

The Eagles do an exceedingly good job of managing their cap. Some will argue they're too constrictive and don't spend enough to improve the team on a year to year basis. Regardless, their basic tenet has been not to award large contracts to aging players which goes a long way towards preventing dead money. That's while you'll likely see OT Jon Runyan with another team or with just a 1-2 year deal. The Eagles simply won't give a guy like that a fat 6 year deal with a huge signing bonus, which at this point is likely a shrewd move.

Guest Nutty Sack

Why in Gds good name isn't William Joseph on that list ??? Especially since ther are at least six DT's who will be cut that would be an immediate astonishing upgrade.

Guest nosebleed
Why in Gds good name isn't William Joseph on that list ??? Especially since ther are at least six DT's who will be cut that would be an immediate astonishing upgrade.

Sam Adams comes to mind...................

Having mixed feelings regarding this. Obviously, it's great that the Skins are screwed but this needs to get done. Upshaw needs to forget about all this, they get their money and a raise of cap, what more do you want? If this new CBA doesn't happen at all, that's a nice way to fuck up Wellington Mara's memory.

Having mixed feelings regarding this. Obviously, it's great that the Skins are screwed but this needs to get done. Upshaw needs to forget about all this, they get their money and a raise of cap, what more do you want? If this new CBA doesn't happen at all, that's a nice way to fuck up Wellington Mara's memory.

It's not that simple. The players have been getting screwed for years under this economic model. Upshaw is finally being smart and holding his ground.

Don't see how this relates to Welly. His influence was in revenue sharing, not the CBA...

It's not that simple. The players have been getting screwed for years under this economic model. Upshaw is finally being smart and holding his ground.

Don't see how this relates to Welly. His influence was in revenue sharing, not the CBA...

He got the game to how great it is today, which I believe is at its highest point from a fan's standpoind. And if there really is no cap for next off-season, then the NFL is hurt by it big time which taints Mara's memory.

He got the game to how great it is today, which I believe is at its highest point from a fan's standpoind. And if there really is no cap for next off-season, then the NFL is hurt by it big time which taints Mara's memory.

I think you are giving him way too much credit. If anything, it "taints" the memory of Pete Rozelle. And there are a ton of deceased individuals who were just as influential in the development of the league as Welly ... Art Rooney, for example.

Don't take this and make this to be something it isn't.

Why are the players refusing to give in to some of the demands?? It seems as if they are the ones who are getting screwed. They are also the ones that might get locked out? I dont get it.

Because they have been getting screwed for years under this structure and they are taking a stand. The owners stand to lose most from this, since no salary cap means that owners have to pay for player salaries out of their own pockets...

The Free Agent market is about to be FLOODED with talent. This might be a unique opportunity that could call to land some great players at discounted prices. If cutting someone like Petigout gave us the chance to grab a discounted star, I think we would have to consider it. It might hurt us in the short term, but 2-4 years from now it could pay off big. I just think we need to consider it and weigh all of our options.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2350202

The Free Agent market is about to be FLOODED with talent. This might be a unique opportunity that could call to land some great players at discounted prices. If cutting someone like Petigout gave us the chance to grab a discounted star, I think we would have to consider it. It might hurt us in the short term, but 2-4 years from now it could pay off big. I just think we need to consider it and weigh all of our options.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2350202

Cutting Luke only saves us $920,000. Most of the guys getting cut are veterans, so they carry little value long-term.

Cutting Luke only saves us $920,000. Most of the guys getting cut are veterans, so they carry little value long-term.

Hmmm. I thought i heard we saved a lot more, but I'm sure you're right. The idea remains the same although I don't know if we have any salaries that could be possible cuts. The only other option that comes to mind is Toomer but I firmly believe we need him on the team to have any chance this season.

Hmmm. I thought i heard we saved a lot more, but I'm sure you're right. The idea remains the same although I don't know if we have any salaries that could be possible cuts. The only other option that comes to mind is Toomer but I firmly believe we need him on the team to have any chance this season.

Cutting Toomer actually results in a net cap loss of $300,000, so I don't understand why John Clayton keeps mentioning him as a potential cap casualty ... cutting him does not save us money. If they were to cut him, it would be because they don't want him as a football player.

After cutting Green, Whittle, and Alexander, there are few -- if any -- guys left on the roster who would be logical releases from a fiscal standpoint. The only guy who even comes to mind is Shaun O'Hara (savings = +$1.45 million), but I have a hard time seeing the team release him...

Cutting Toomer actually results in a net cap loss of $300,000, so I don't understand why John Clayton keeps mentioning him as a potential cap casualty ... cutting him does not save us money. If they were to cut him, it would be because they don't want him as a football player.

After cutting Green, Whittle, and Alexander, there are few -- if any -- guys left on the roster who would be logical releases from a fiscal standpoint. The only guy who even comes to mind is Shaun O'Hara (savings = +$1.45 million), but I have a hard time seeing the team release him...

emmons? although cutting him would be a mistake unless we could sign a better/young player to take his spot.

I typically side with ownership in most of these labor disputes but I'm shocked that these fatcats are actually going to screw this up. Even if they give the players the 60% share they're looking for the owners still win. They've got the best thing going in professional sports right now. Yet they're letting it all unravel. Upshaw has said the players will never agree to a salary cap structure again if they get an uncapped year and I've got to say from a player standpoint, I can't argue with him. Meanwhile the idiot owners are standing pat watching, while the cash machine they built themselves is being wheeled out to the parking lot.

Guest Nutty Sack
I typically side with ownership in most of these labor disputes but I'm shocked that these fatcats are actually going to screw this up. Even if they give the players the 60% share they're looking for the owners still win. They've got the best thing going in professional sports right now. Yet they're letting it all unravel. Upshaw has said the players will never agree to a salary cap structure again if they get an uncapped year and I've got to say from a player standpoint, I can't argue with him. Meanwhile the idiot owners are standing pat watching, while the cash machine they built themselves is being wheeled out to the parking lot.

That's what happens when you loose guys like Wellington Mara. He'd set them straight and advise logic.