SportsWrath

Best Infield Ever?

Blue Jeans

1999 vs. 2006  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the best infield ever- defensively and offensively- 1999 Mets or 2006 Mets?

• 1999 Mets (Robin Ventura, Edgardo Alfonzo, Rey Ordóñez and John Olerud)
    • 2006 Mets (David Wright, José Reyes, José Valentín, Carlos Delgado)

Just curious what you think.

While they're both tremendously fun to watch, I have no idea which infield is better defensively... Ventura was better defensively than Wright... Reyes probably more than Ordonez (very hard to ignore Reyes' arm but Ordonez killed), Fonzie and Valentin I don't even know... Olerud was definately better than Delgado. But the 2006 team kills the 1999 team offensively, no doubt about it.

So make a decision... which is the best infield ever? Keep in mind defense as well as offense, which was more fun to watch?

SO HARD.

2006 Mets :LMAO: with Delgado and Wright on the corners ? :LMAO:

Take the blinders off man, the 2001 infield of Zeile, Alfonzo, Ordonez and Ventura is better defensively than this bunch.

The 99 INF blows this team away defensively. Not even close

the 2006 inf is comprised of better athletes and offensive players.

I love Delgado and I love Wright, but Delgado is an average 1B at best and Wright although improving is nowhere near the top of the league in terms of defense for a 3bmen. He has a flair for the spectacular play, but his arm is suspect at times.

Forget Delgado! He went from mediocre to average. I always thought Ventura was overrated. Ordonez, I don’t remember seeing him that often, but I don’t remember being overly impressed. Alfonso, excellent.

I’m going with present IF despite Delgado because I see a lot more improvement in Reyes and Wright.

orget Delgado! He went from mediocre to average. I always thought Ventura was overrated. Ordonez, I don’t remember seeing him that often, but I don’t remember being overly impressed. Alfonso, excellent.

Ordonez for a while was the best defensive shortstop in the game, you couldn't get

much better than him.

Forget Delgado! He went from mediocre to average. I always thought Ventura was overrated. Ordonez, I don’t remember seeing him that often, but I don’t remember being overly impressed. Alfonso, excellent.

I’m going with present IF despite Delgado because I see a lot more improvement in Reyes and Wright.

the 1999 Met infield set a record at the time for fewest errors in a season, most consecutive errorless games and fewest earned runs allowed in a season. Choosing this INF over that one defensively is as assinine as it gets, not even close.

With that said, I would take this INF ANYDAY over that one. Maybe the only guy I would like is Fonzie in his prime at 2B.

Ordonez was a gold glove SS and made all the plays for a few years there, he could not hit the cows ass with a shovel was his problem.

Wright boggles my mind. How can he make such spectacular plays at times, yet botch the routine ones so often?

Reyes is very solid all around. Valentin has done well and improved at second as the year went on. Delgado is much better defensively than I thought he was before we got him. I'm not saying he's great, but I thought he was a total butcher. He's not.

But.... I voted for the '99 crew, because they were a much better team defensively. I did not think offense when I voted. If I had, the 2006 guys would have been a no brainer.