SportsWrath

Ereck Flowers - we have a genuine stud on our hands

BleedinBlue

This is a great story in this morning's paper: http://nypost.com/2015/10/15/ereck-flowers-built-for-giants-eagles-he-wants-to-be-a-jerk/

Ereck Flowers built for Giants-Eagles: He wants to be a jerk

By Steve Serby

untitled.png

Rashad Jennings holds Ereck Flowers back after a scuffle in the opening game with the Cowboys.

This is the hostile, vitriolic place that can make knees knock and legs turn to jelly, especially if you wear a Giants uniform. Even before you enter this bubbling cauldron of venom, fans of the Brotherly Love Eagles have been known to hurl eggs and invective at your team bus.

The meek have no chance to inherit the earth inside the Linc, especially on a Monday night.

Only the strong survive these riotous blood-and-guts brawls.

It is right in Ereck Flowers' wheelhouse.

It helps being a 6-foot-6, 329-pound aircraft carrier, yes. But this isn't a rookie who scares easy. If at all.

This is a baby-faced assassin with a mean streak.

Linebacker Devon Kennard was a rookie out of USC last season, and he wasn't fazed by the Linc.

"The fans are rowdy, and they're not nice, and they don't like us", Kennard said with a smile. "So it's just a fun place to play. It kind of reminds me of a college feel".

Kennard said he thinks Flowers will blossom in such an environment

"I think he'll thrive", Kennard said. "Erecks a competitor. Hes a beast. He has all the ability in the world, and the tenacity to go with it".

"Im glad he's on my team".

Right tackle Marshall Newhouse depicts young Flowers as an "even-keeled Terminator."

"Just him wanting to finish guys", Newhouse said. "Him wanting to be a jerk out there. That's what being a lineman in the NFL's about, at the end of the day. So just having that physicality about him and that finish mentality, he's got it, for sure."

Center Weston Richburg was a rookie at the Linc last October.

"Pretty hostile", Richburg said. "It wasn't anybody kind of trying to harm us or anything, but you're getting flipped the bird. But that's expected. Its a pretty intense divisional rivalry".

He isnt worried about Flowers.

"He's got a good attitude for games like this", Richburg said. "He's gonna keep his cool, and be able to handle whatever comes at him."

Flowers talks softly, but carries a big lick.

"He's been able to get under some guys skin a couple of games I know Dallas, he got under some guys skin, and he just keeps his cool, which is good to see younger guys keeping their cool in situations like that", Richburg said.

How does he get under their skin?

"He plays through the whistle", Richburg said. "He's a guy that's gonna give high effort, and that may get on some guy's nerves sometimes."

Eli Manning doesn't mind having a bodyguard left tackle like this one bit.

"It doesn't seem too big for him", Manning said. "He's been banged up a little bit and shown toughness, wants to be out there. Been impressed with just how quickly he just knows everything thats going on, and knowing his assignments."

No one epitomizes talk-is-cheap-play-the-game more than Flowers the strong, silent type.

"He's quiet, he doesnt say much", Manning said, "but he's competing out there. He has an intensity to him, you can see that, determination, hes ready to go."

The atmosphere wont bother him?

"I don't think so", Manning said. "I dont think it's too much, or anything going on is gonna get him rattled."

Manning took his first regular-season snap in garbage time in Philadelphia in 2004.

"I remember my first play, I handed it off to Tiki Barber, he went about 75 [yards] for a touchdown. I said, This is easy",  Manning recalled, and smiled. "And then I took the biggest hit of my life [from Jerome McDougle] on the last play. It was my welcome-to-the-NFL hit, for sure."

Odell Beckham Jr. recalled his introduction to Eagles fans last season.

"Treated you like royalty, he cracked. The fans cheer, the fans yell. Either way it goes its all noise. You just block it out and play football."

Flowers has heard plenty about the Giants-Eagles rivalry.

"Its a division game. Those are the biggest games of the year", Flowers said. "I like all games."

But is he OK dealing with the hostile crowd?

"That's fine", Flowers said.

Nothing scares Flowers, does it?

"Oh, nah, nah besides losing", he said, and chuckled.

just look at this:

ba58e4ca349fb61b055185c04274ddce.jpg.69d

Bobby Hart (#68) is no light weight either. An inch shorter than Flowers, but same weight and wider.

I am surprised most from the draft, at Ty Sambrailo who I thought wouldn't go before round 5, yet Denver took him in round 2. All the pre-draft analysis of him was that he was athletic, but would be a long time project on the front line and his negatives outweighed his positives. Well, Denver handed him the starting LT job and he's been stellar and the team is 5-0. Andrus Peat also looked pretty solid early, but is now out for 4 weeks with a grade 2 sprained MCL. In hindsight, I couldn't be happier with us taking Flowers. He is a godsend on that front line and together with Richburg and Pugh - the line from center to the left side is superb. I love Flowers attitude and character. He's one tough hombre.

I'm hoping Hart will pan out to get worked into the right side at some point. I think he's as good as Jerry right now and will eventually earn the starting RG position. I guess only time will tell.

This kid is definitely something special .. .Looks like Reese may have hit a homerun in the first round, 2 years in a row

Reese keeps this up and we are going to have one hell of a team in a few years

Not only the first round, but the last 2 years of second round picks. Richburg is coming into his own and is turning into a monster at center. Have you seen him downfield 10 yards blocking? That's amazing for a lineman, especially a center. And I have faith that Collins will turn into a pro-bowler. He's still learning, but he's made some brilliant plays already for a rookie.

But Beckham Jr. and Flowers are grand slam homerun type picks for sure.

Not only the first round, but the last 2 years of second round picks. Richburg is coming into his own and is turning into a monster at center. Have you seen him downfield 10 yards blocking? That's amazing for a lineman, especially a center. And I have faith that Collins will turn into a pro-bowler. He's still learning, but he's made some brilliant plays already for a rookie.

But Beckham Jr. and Flowers are grand slam homerun type picks for sure.

yeah no question ... Reese has turned it around ... he has been picking really well these past few years ... the 3rd rounders aren't so bad either ... Moore is finally coming around and Bromley i actually getting on the field ... mix in Hankins and Pugh ... and you can argue that the past 3 years have been well above average

You have:

Flowers

Collins

Owa Odighizuwa

Beckham

Richburg

Bromley

Pugh

Hankins

Moore

3 years in a row you definitely can't be disappointed in.

yeah no question ... Reese has turned it around ... he has been picking really well these past few years ... the 3rd rounders aren't so bad either ... Moore is finally coming around and Bromley i actually getting on the field ... mix in Hankins and Pugh ... and you can argue that the past 3 years have been well above average

You have:

Flowers

Collins

Owa Odighizuwa

Beckham

Richburg

Bromley

Pugh

Hankins

Moore

3 years in a row you definitely can't be disappointed in.

2014 was quite a haul as well since they picked up Andre Williams in the 4th and Devon Kenard in the supplemental 5th round.

Andre Williams sucks. He'll have an illustrious career in the CFL.

He has no vision, no decisiveness. He can have all the power in the world but he can't navigate aisle 7 at the local supermarket let alone his way through blocks.

when 23 fumbled and went into coughlin's doghouse, the offense went to sleep.

I don't get that bullshit. It wasn't like Jennings had a terrible fuck up. You see that same thing happen all the time...running backs getting hit from behind and fumbling. He's your one back who can make plays as an actual running back. Vereen did not impress as a ball carrier out of the back field. He has the same indecisiveness. With this line, unless you're pulling guards which I haven't seen, they need to be hitting holes with reckless abandon.

We cannot allow pressure with a 4 man front and be so predictable with our offense that teams can go into press man and render our offense anemic. That's a recipe for turnovers.