SportsWrath

Encouraging things to take out of tonight's game.

Sephiroth

I missed the first offensive and defensive series. But still:

1. Adrien Tracy looked like a very good pass rusher, both with the 1's and the 2's. Guy looks like he wants to be a part of this team, at the very least on 3rd down.

2. Giants starting O-line looked very solid. Eli appeared to have all day back there.

3. David Wilson looked very good... quick and speedy, with a bit more power than I expected.

4. Martellus Bennett looked like he was catching the ball well, especially on the TD.

5. Ramses Barden didn't muff a punt, try to one-hand a sure TD from Eli, or have a shitty kickoff return. That puts him ahead of Jerrell Jernigan for the coveted #4 receiver spot... in fact, I believe he had the same amount of catches and yards as Domenik Hixon, the favored guy for the #3 spot.

dollarbill.jpg

Of all the players that impressed or didn't impress, I thought Herzlich stood out as a player ready for prime time. Not only super athletic, but a very smart player. Man did we get a steal in him last year. He's likely to hold down the MLB spot for the next 10 years.

For all the criticism we've taken about our linebackers in the past years, it looks as though linebackers are our greatest strength (if last night's game is an indicator).

The other player that stuck out to me as being ready for big time, was Bennett. He was blocking well and caught everything thrown his way including a TD in traffic. Hope that is a sign that our TE position is set. Takes the sting away from losing Ballard to the dipshits up north.

Barden didn't wow me, but he was solid and made the catches he's supposed to and was aggressively blocking when not on a route. Both Ware and Brown looked good...doubt they both make the team though. I'd give he edge to Brown.

Prince looked downright awful in coverage. Hosley looked great until he completely blew it on a muffed punt return. Austin looked so-so....I saw him get pushed back on his heels, but he was taking on two lineman.

Came away with, "man....we have a lot of work to do to get ready for real games"

Herzlich got worse and worse as the game wore on.......he was out of position on MANY running plays, and easily blocked (he lacks strength)

You are nuts if you want this guy at MLBer on a World Championship team.......are you his brother?

As nuts as Reese was to let Ross walk away

Herzlich got worse and worse as the game wore on.......he was out of position on MANY running plays, and easily blocked (he lacks strength)

You are nuts if you want this guy at MLBer on a World Championship team

As nuts as Reese was to let Ross walk away

I don't know which game you were watching, but Herzlich shined and your comment he lacks strength made me laugh.

From InsideFootball:

HITS:

TE Martellus Bennett: Bennett’s Giants début was definitely a hit, as he caught all three passes thrown his way for 27 yards and a touchdown. He also had a couple of nice blocks that I spotted.

LB Mark Herzlich: Although he was only credited with two tackles, Herzlich’s nose for the ball was stunning. He shot gaps, disrupted plays, and took good drops in coverage. He probably didn’t win the starting middle linebacker job this week, but it’s coming.

WR Rueben Randle: He looked like a veteran on his touchdown reception when he out jumped the defender and got his body in such a position that the ball was either going to be his or hit the ground. I also saw Randle engage well in a few downfield blocks

RB David Wilson: With seven carries for 43 yards, Wilson put his speed and elusiveness on display, showing good cutting ability, including one play in which he made something out of nothing. He’s definitely an exciting player to watch, and if his showing on offense wasn’t enough to get you excited, how about his kick return production of two returns for 76 yards, including a long of 48, which as I wrote in the game summary, tops the Giants best kickoff return from 2011 (4-0 yards, by Devin Thomas). And yes, I’m taking into consideration his gaffe in the 2:00 drill.

MISSES:

OT Brandon Mosley: Brutal game for the Giant’ fourth round draft pick, who line dup at right tackle and was often time a human turnstile. He looked like the one who whiffed on two blocks that resulted in David Wilson runs being blown up. He also gave up numerous pass pressures.

OG Mitch Petrus: Rough start to the preseason for the third-year guard. Petrus had a few whiffs, including one on a sack of David Carr. If Petrus was in competition for the starting left guard spot with Kevin Boothe, based on this performance and his up-and-down camp, I’d say that competition has likely been resolved.

CB Justin Tryon: It looked like he had a rough night out there in coverage, taking a couple of bad angles and failing to wrap up a ball carrier.

HISSES (a combination of Hits & Misses)

CB Jayron Hosley: I thought he had a decent showing on defense, but that muffed punt was a back-breaker

CB Prince Amukamara: He had a rough start, twice getting caught watching the quarterback a little longer than he should have instead of eyeballing the receiver. But he did have that forced fumble later in the game. Still he has to do a better job and be more consistent. I especially didn’t like that he seemed to make the same mistake twice in being beaten on two passing plays, the second of which was the touchdown pass.

WR Jerrel Jernigan: Jernigan did a nice job with downfield blocking, including one that sprung David Wilson for a big gain. But as is the case with Hosley, that muffed punt was a backbreaker.

"although he was only credited with 2 tackles"..........my thoughts exactly........where was he when they were running all over us.....nowhere because he was on his back

he was shooting gaps alright........... and the ball was going in the other direction

The guy played 90% of the snaps and had 2 tackles at MLBer??????

"although he was only credited with 2 tackles"..........my thoughts exactly........where was he when they were running all over us.....nowhere because he was on his back

he was shooting gaps alright........... and the ball was going in the other direction

Well....virtually every analyst commenting on last nights game is praising Herzlich. You alone see him as a loser. Coughlin and Fewell are singing his praises.....but hey, what do they know about football players?

If you are going to use "tackles" as the primary measuring stick, then realize that the writer of InsideFootball got it wrong as Herzlich had 3 tackles. Secondly, JPP had only two tackles and Justin Tuck had no tackles...so maybe they are no good either.

Whatever.......I'm not sold on Herzlich ........they can sing his praises all they want

We gave up 32 points on his watch

I don't think anyone is "sold" jack.. but the kid needs more reps and has shown pretty good knack for the position. I like Blackburn too and having 2 pretty good MLBs is good for the team... a good problem to have.

Why is it everytime we win a championship

Reese and Coughlin feel compelled to make 6-7 personnel changes that result in an 8-8 follow up season?

the only other championship we won under Reese and Coughlin, was followed by a 12-4 season, with a 10-1 start.

bleedin, herzlich is battling blackburn for a spot, of course jack won't give him any praise.

What did Blackburn do last night? I don't recall even seeing him.

Regardless, I too like Blackburn and would love to have the problem of two very solid MLBs. Fresh legs that can be rotated in and out make for a better defensive group.

Herzlich is not a proven "strong" MLBer........In the 2 full games he started last year he was totally LOST.

I'm afraid like Prince, the Giants are going to throw him out there and we as fans will have to endure torture while these guys learn to play in the NFL

MLBer is the Brains of the Defense and the most important position. Corner Back in a pass happy league is a close second

If these two guys start the season we are in deep deep trouble.........the schedule is brutal, and we will be lucky to go 4-4

Herzlich is not a proven "strong" MLBer........In the 2 full games he started last year he was totally LOST.

I'm afraid like Prince, the Giants are going to throw him out there and we as fans will have to endure torture while these guys learn to play in the NFL

MLBer is the Brains of the Defense and the most important position. Corner Back in a pass happy league is a close second

If these two guys start the season we are in deep deep trouble.........the schedule is brutal, and we will be lucky to go 4-4

A rookie.. under Fewel's system would be lost..

Well apart from the argument you make that Herzlich is no good, keep in mind this is preseason and for the most part, the coaches are looking to see which youngsters step up. In my humble opinion, Herzlich looked really, really good. But let's agree to disagree because you'll never convince me the Herzlich sucks and I'll never convince you that the Giants got the biggest steal in UDFA's last year.

Paysinger played like a man possessed last night leading both teams with 6 tackles. Will "the Thrill" Hill got 5 tackles. And another UDFA from a year ago (DT Dwayne Hendricks) got 3 tackles and 2 sacks.

But the best news out of all last night was that no one got hurt. Every play I expect to see a player laying on the ground unable to get up and wearing Giants blue.

Paysinger did play like a man possesed last night..........AWESOME.......he was in on a LOT of tackles and hitting and moving fast to the ball

Another glaring problem was Safety......we need to bring Grant back this week so he can get his timing down.........this tearing down a Championship team drives me nuts

I have to comment on Martellus Bennet too........WOW is he ever good. The Bennet TD catch was amazing, he went way up with both hands to grab it, as was the one armed TD catch by the rookie- who was that again?

What really bothers me about Herzlich is the BC connection, and the cancer survivor story.......OK great but it should not influence anything where you went to college or what you survived.......the NFL is a brutal dog eat dog league.....with all due respect to Mike Vick

In the end its about the team getting a second ring........I dont care what color you are, where you went to school or anything exraenous

5. Ramses Barden didn't muff a punt, try to one-hand a sure TD from Eli, or have a shitty kickoff return. That puts him ahead of Jerrell Jernigan for the coveted #4 receiver spot... in fact, I believe he had the same amount of catches and yards as Domenik Hixon, the favored guy for the #3 spot.

dollarbill.jpg

Hixon wasn't even dressed, ya dope. Might as well send me $2 'cause with your observations you'll likely lose the next bet too.

Well I watched the replay and here's my Giants Pre-Season Stock Watch, week 1 edition:

Stock is rising:

Martellus Bennett - He looked very fluid in his routes, showed soft hands, and also, and very importantly, was a dominant blocker from the TE spot. If there were any illusions of Pascoe being the starting TE week 1, they are now dispelled, it's Bennett's job to lose.

Sean Locklear - He had a tough gig as the starter at LT and held his own nicely. He wasn't dominant, but he kept the pressure off of Eli long enough for him to make his read and deliver the football. That's enough for Eli, and that will be enough for him to push his way onto this team, perhaps at the expense of a recent draft pick, more on that below.

David Wilson - Despite poor blocking, he made plays, showing elusiveness, and tackle breaking ability. Hopefully in the next game, he can show what he can do against a higher level of competition, he deserves it.

Dwayne Hendricks - A definitive standout performance last night. He was all over the field, I was even surprised to see him track down the Jags' QB on the far sideline on one play. Showed quickness, burst, and power. He probably elevated himself... I know after that display I want to see him against the starters for a series or two in the next game.

Adrian Tracy - Showed excellent pass rushing ability, really looked like a quality DE, getting to the QB multiple times. With Trattou out, Tracy can push for that 4th DE spot, and he put Trattou on notice last night.

Rueben Randle - Had a nice catch and run on one play, and followed it up with a TD, on a fade where he boxed out the defender, using his body. Polished work for the rookie and a good debut. He looked smooth out there. With other receivers either not playing or not seizing opportunities, Randle may grab that 3rd receiver role by the time preseason is over with continued performances like this one.

Isaiah Stanback - Yeah, it was only 1 catch... a spectacular one handed grab with a defender all over him for a TD... and that catch gets you noticed. With David Douglas the camp favorite to make the team not playing last night, Stanback seized a chance to re-open the competition a bit. Something tells me Douglas will do everything possible to be playing next week.

Stock is falling:

Prince Amukamara - yeah, for all intents and purposes he's still a rookie... he's in his first camp, ya know. Patience is required. But you have to have a little faith in the first round pick that he can at least compete if he's going to start in place of T2 week 1. He didn't do anything last night to inspire any faith. Hopefully, we'll see some improvement as we get closer to week 1. I expect to see it, but I didn't expect him to look quite as bad as he did in coverage last night.

Jerrel Jernigan - Yeah, I totally give him a pass for the dropped TD. That's a P.I. with competent officials. But he can't continue to muff punts, and he can't continue to drop other catchable balls, which he also did. If there continues to be these mistakes going into the season, he'll probably still make the final 53 based on this only being his second year, but he will be on the thinnest of ice... and the Sinorice Moss comparisons will get much louder.

Shaun Rogers - He was pushed around on some plays, and generally wasn't disruptive enough during his reps as you would like. I can't say he was horrible, but there's no way the Jags should've had as much success as they did running the ball up the middle on a guy whose pedigree is as a run stopper. With two young guys performing well behind him in Austin and Hendricks, he can't afford mediocre play, he's got to be disruptive.

Stevie Brown - You can't get trucked by a 3rd or 4th string running back for a TD when you have him lined up. You have to make a tackle there, and that's a play that will stick in Fewell's memory.

Bear Pascoe - Missed some blocks out there and just a 2 yard completion, was entirely outshined by Bennett. Disappointing night for Bear, who had aspirations to be the week 1 starter at TE. He's fallen way behind Bennett now.

James Brewer, Matt McCants, Brandon Mosely - They weren't the only backup offensive linemen that played poorly, but they are players that draft picks were expended, and you'd expect them to hold up much better than they did. All three were beaten badly multiple times... a lot of standing over their assignment as he was hitting the QB. Particularly with Brewer, you would've hoped entering his second season you'd see some kind of competence. It wasn't there, even the replacement officials were shocked at how badly they sucked.

Honorable Mention - Marvin Austin - even though he didn't make any impact plays, he showed some quickness, burst, and power. Was close to a sack or forced fumbled that pushed the QB back on one play, preventing the QB from stepping up, which resulted in a sack for Adrian Tracy. I was impressed with him.

about prince, that first drive he was bad. 2nd drive he was only noticed because of the forced fumble. im not sure how many snaps after that he played but after that first drive i didnt notice him, which is a good thing for a cb.

Well I watched the replay and here's my Giants Pre-Season Stock Watch, week 1 edition:

Stock is rising:

Martellus Bennett - He looked very fluid in his routes, showed soft hands, and also, and very importantly, was a dominant blocker from the TE spot. If there were any illusions of Pascoe being the starting TE week 1, they are now dispelled, it's Bennett's job to lose.

Sean Locklear - He had a tough gig as the starter at LT and held his own nicely. He wasn't dominant, but he kept the pressure off of Eli long enough for him to make his read and deliver the football. That's enough for Eli, and that will be enough for him to push his way onto this team, perhaps at the expense of a recent draft pick, more on that below.

David Wilson - Despite poor blocking, he made plays, showing elusiveness, and tackle breaking ability. Hopefully in the next game, he can show what he can do against a higher level of competition, he deserves it.

Dwayne Hendricks - A definitive standout performance last night. He was all over the field, I was even surprised to see him track down the Jags' QB on the far sideline on one play. Showed quickness, burst, and power. He probably elevated himself... I know after that display I want to see him against the starters for a series or two in the next game.

Adrian Tracy - Showed excellent pass rushing ability, really looked like a quality DE, getting to the QB multiple times. With Trattou out, Tracy can push for that 4th DE spot, and he put Trattou on notice last night.

Rueben Randle - Had a nice catch and run on one play, and followed it up with a TD, on a fade where he boxed out the defender, using his body. Polished work for the rookie and a good debut. He looked smooth out there. With other receivers either not playing or not seizing opportunities, Randle may grab that 3rd receiver role by the time preseason is over with continued performances like this one.

Isaiah Stanback - Yeah, it was only 1 catch... a spectacular one handed grab with a defender all over him for a TD... and that catch gets you noticed. With David Douglas the camp favorite to make the team not playing last night, Stanback seized a chance to re-open the competition a bit. Something tells me Douglas will do everything possible to be playing next week.

Stock is falling:

Prince Amukamara - yeah, for all intents and purposes he's still a rookie... he's in his first camp, ya know. Patience is required. But you have to have a little faith in the first round pick that he can at least compete if he's going to start in place of T2 week 1. He didn't do anything last night to inspire any faith. Hopefully, we'll see some improvement as we get closer to week 1. I expect to see it, but I didn't expect him to look quite as bad as he did in coverage last night.

Jerrel Jernigan - Yeah, I totally give him a pass for the dropped TD. That's a P.I. with competent officials. But he can't continue to muff punts, and he can't continue to drop other catchable balls, which he also did. If there continues to be these mistakes going into the season, he'll probably still make the final 53 based on this only being his second year, but he will be on the thinnest of ice... and the Sinorice Moss comparisons will get much louder.

Shaun Rogers - He was pushed around on some plays, and generally wasn't disruptive enough during his reps as you would like. I can't say he was horrible, but there's no way the Jags should've had as much success as they did running the ball up the middle on a guy whose pedigree is as a run stopper. With two young guys performing well behind him in Austin and Hendricks, he can't afford mediocre play, he's got to be disruptive.

Stevie Brown - You can't get trucked by a 3rd or 4th string running back for a TD when you have him lined up. You have to make a tackle there, and that's a play that will stick in Fewell's memory.

Bear Pascoe - Missed some blocks out there and just a 2 yard completion, was entirely outshined by Bennett. Disappointing night for Bear, who had aspirations to be the week 1 starter at TE. He's fallen way behind Bennett now.

James Brewer, Matt McCants, Brandon Mosely - They weren't the only backup offensive linemen that played poorly, but they are players that draft picks were expended, and you'd expect them to hold up much better than they did. All three were beaten badly multiple times... a lot of standing over their assignment as he was hitting the QB. Particularly with Brewer, you would've hoped entering his second season you'd see some kind of competence. It wasn't there, even the replacement officials were shocked at how badly they sucked.

Honorable Mention - Marvin Austin - even though he didn't make any impact plays, he showed some quickness, burst, and power. Was close to a sack or forced fumbled that pushed the QB back on one play, preventing the QB from stepping up, which resulted in a sack for Adrian Tracy. I was impressed with him.

Get a life :)