SportsWrath

My final roster predictions/thoughts - 16 August

BigPete

Here is my roster predictions/thoughts as at before the Pathers game

players in italics are outside chances, but likely are on the outside looking in

Offense (25)

QB (3): Eli Manning, David Carr, Rhett Bomar - Andre Woodson

WR (6): Domenik Hixon, Steve Smith, Sinorice Moss, Hakeem Nicks, Ramsees Barden, Mario Manningham - Derek Hagan, David Tyree

TE (3): Kevin Boss, Travis Beckum, Darcy Johnson - Michael Matthews, Lawrence Vickers

RB (3): Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, Danny Ware - Dwayne Wright, Patrick Allen

FB (1): Madison Hedgecock

OT (4) Kareem McKenzie, David Diehl, William Beatty, Guy Whimper

OG (3): Chris Snee, Rich Seubert, Kevin Boothe - Tutan Reyes

OC (2): Shaun O'Hara, Adam Koets*

Defense (26)

DE (4): Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck, Matthias Kiwanuka, Robert Henderson - Maurice Evans, Dave Tollefsen, Tommy Hill

DT (5): Barry Cofield, FRed Robbins, Chris Canty, Rocky Bernard, Jay Alford - Anthony Bryant, Jeremy Clark

SLB (2): Clint Sintim, Zak DeOssie - Danny Clark**

MLB (3): Antonio Pierce, Jonathan Goff, Chase Blackburn

WLB (2): Bryan Kehl, Gerris Wilkinson

CB (6): Corey Webster, Aaron Ross, Terrell Thomas, Kevin Dockery, Vince Anderson, Stoney Woodson - DeAndre Wright, Bruce Johnson

SS (2): Michael Johnson, CC Brown

FS (2): Kenny Phillips, Sha'Reff Rashad

Special Teams (2)

P: Jeff Feagles

K: Lawrence Tynes

Physically Unable to Perform (1)

WLB Michael Boley

Injured Reserve (1)

RB Andre Brown

Notes

* 1. I think there is a strong chance a backup center will be brought in either as a trade or as other teams trim their rosters. In which case Koets, Boothe or Whimper is gone; if not Seubert will be our primary backup at center.

** 2. I think the fact that Sintim is already getting time with the first team does not look good for Clark in a very crowded group; particularly if Kehl, Goff and Blackburn can fill in at SLB. This will be compounded when/if Boley returns.

Here is my roster predictions/thoughts as at before the Pathers game

players in italics are outside chances, but likely are on the outside looking in

Offense (25)

WR (6): Domenik Hixon, Steve Smith, Sinorice Moss, Hakeem Nicks, Ramsees Barden, Mario Manningham - Derek Hagan, David Tyree

TE (3): Kevin Boss, Travis Beckum, Darcy Johnson - Michael Matthews, Lawrence Vickers

RB (3): Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, Danny Ware - Dwayne Wright, Patrick Allen

OC (2): Shaun O'Hara, Adam Koets*

Defense (26)

DE (4): Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck, Matthias Kiwanuka, Robert Henderson - Maurice Evans, Dave Tollefsen, Tommy Hill

DT (5): Barry Cofield, FRed Robbins, Chris Canty, Rocky Bernard, Jay Alford - Anthony Bryant, Jeremy Clark

SLB (2): Clint Sintim, Zak DeOssie - Danny Clark**

MLB (3): Antonio Pierce, Jonathan Goff, Chase Blackburn

WLB (2): Bryan Kehl, Gerris Wilkinson

CB (6): Corey Webster, Aaron Ross, Terrell Thomas, Kevin Dockery, Vince Anderson, Stoney Woodson - DeAndre Wright, Bruce Johnson

FS (2): Kenny Phillips, Sha'Reff Rashad

Special Teams (2)

WLB Michael Boley

Injured Reserve (1)

RB Andre Brown

Notes

* 1. I think there is a strong chance a backup center will be brought in either as a trade or as other teams trim their rosters. In which case Koets, Boothe or Whimper is gone; if not Seubert will be our primary backup at center.

** 2. I think the fact that Sintim is already getting time with the first team does not look good for Clark in a very crowded group; particularly if Kehl, Goff and Blackburn can fill in at SLB. This will be compounded when/if Boley returns.

I would switch Vince Andersen with Bruce Johnson . also When Boley comes back Wilks is gone. Also maybe would switch Tollefson with Henderson, Hederson may come back to the practice Squad Also Allen Patrick has to make the team in one way or another maybe practice squad for him too but with Brown out for the year I am sure we will find a place for Patrick . He was the Back behind Adrian Peterson in college he filled in for him when Peterson was out in 2006 with a broken collar bone Link . Oh and here is Allen Patrick on youtube

I would switch Vince Andersen with Bruce Johnson . also When Boley comes back Wilks is gone. Also maybe would switch Tollefson with Henderson, Hederson may come back to the practice Squad Also Allen Patrick has to make the team in one way or another maybe practice squad for him too but with Brown out for the year I am sure we will find a place for Patrick . He was the Back behind Adrian Peterson in college he filled in for him when Peterson was out in 2006 with a broken collar bone Link . Oh and here is Allen Patrick on youtube

I agree with your Henderson move....no way he's beating out Tollefson.

Patrick will probably make the team because they will carry Wright as backup fullback to Hedgecock - therefore, 2 fullbacks and 4 RBs.

Also, I would be willing to bet that Hagan will beat out Moss for the final WR spot.

Patrick will probably make the team because they will carry Wright as backup fullback to Hedgecock - therefore, 2 fullbacks and 4 RBs.

Also, I would be willing to bet that Hagan will beat out Moss for the final WR spot.

That will not happen

I dont know a whole lot about Patrick, but everything else you say here I agree with. I think Tollefson beats out Henderson, and I think Hagan has looked great in camp. I would like to see Hagan make it, he's an ASU guy!!!!

It is highly unlikley we will go with 2 FBs; Wright could get a spot, but it is more likely to be as a RB/FB hybrid

I think the front office would be ok with 3 RBs; particularly if we can keep another guy in the trenches

I wouldn't be overly surprised if we brought in a RB at some point either.

If we do go with 4 RBs, it will could be at the expense of the 4th DE spot; Canty and Alford can play DE as can Sintim in passing downs.

Henderson vs Tollefsen vs Evans - that is all about upside. I personally think Tollefsen is the least likely to make the roster; the other two have much more potential. Kets see what happens in pre season.

I am not certain that Boley will be back, certainly not likely as a major impact this season. Coughlin has hinted he is a long ways of yet. Will he be ready to practice by the 6th game of the season? Even then he has a steep leaning curve in a new system before he is ready to start, particularly if Kehl/Wilkinson are doing a good job at WLB.

At this stage Anderson will get the nod over Johnson. He has really stood out in camp so far and can also play safety is needed.

It is highly unlikley we will go with 2 FBs; Wright could get a spot, but it is more likely to be as a RB/FB hybrid

I think the front office would be ok with 3 RBs; particularly if we can keep another guy in the trenches

Henderson vs Tollefsen vs Evans - that is all about upside. I personally think Tollefsen is the least likely to make the roster; the other two have much more potential. Kets see what happens in pre season.

I am not certain that Boley will be back, Coughlin has hinted he is a long ways of yet. Will he be ready to practice by the 6th game of the season? Even then he has a steep leaning curve in a new system before he is ready to start, particularly if Kehl/Wilkinson are doing a good job at WLB.

At this stage Anderson will get the nod over Johnson. He has really stood out in camp so far and can also play safety is needed.

What?

Coughlin has already stated he will be back by week two and playing.

What?

Coughlin has already stated he will be back by week two and playing.

I haven't seen that, do you have a quote?

I am going to be a little conservative and see how he goes.

Firstly he has to get to the point where he can start to practice, then he has to get into game shape and learn a new system. Then he has to beat out someone like Kehl who has had the beneft of a full preseason program and has done well.

I hope Boley is ready to go soon, but I will wait and see. I will start getting my hopes up once he starts doing indicidual drills and that doesn't seem to be on the cards anytime soon.

from Coughlin 13 August:

"Q: How is Michael Boleys injury coming along?

A: He's making progress but the original expectation was way out there. He's got a ways to go"

I haven't seen that, do you have a quote?

I am going to be a little conservative and see how he goes.

Firstly he has to get to the point where he can start to practice, then he has to get into game shape and learn a new system. Then he has to beat out someone like Kehl who has had the beneft of a full preseason program and has done well.

I hope Boley is ready to go soon, but I will wait and see. I will start getting my hopes up once he starts doing indicidual drills and that doesn't seem to be on the cards anytime soon.

from Coughlin 13 August:

"Q: How is Michael Boleys injury coming along?

A: He's making progress but the original expectation was way out there. He's got a ways to go"

Boley is a vet, though. Remember when Strahan missed all of camp in his final year? It didn't take long for him to be going full speed. When Boley is healthy, and when he has practiced a week (probably the week after week 1 and maybe the week prior, he will play. Kehl will get increased reps, for sure, but Boley will play and be starting by week 3 or 4, if not week 2. Some people here don't know Boley, but he is one of the better WLB's in the NFL. He is a veteran, not a rookie or young player trying to win a job.

Kehl has been impressive, and because of that he will get playing time. But Boley will start as soon as he's ready to go.

I also read the quote from Coughlin that said Boley would be ready by week 2 and playing.

Next post I would like to reply to your 53 man roster, Pete. I think most of it is good, but I'm making changes! :P

OK, Pete, here my changes based on my projection of the final 53. By no means do I actually believe this will be 100% accurate when TC makes final cuts.

Offense (27)

I agree with this completely

WR (7): Domenik Hixon, Steve Smith, Sinorice Moss, Hakeem Nicks, Ramsees Barden, Mario Manningham, David Tyree - Derek Hagan, David Tyree

I'm adding Tyree. Somehow I think they will carry 7 WR's. I know this is not the conventional thinking, but I have a hard time believing Tyree is not going to make the roster, and that may just be my heart talking, admittedly. The other 6 guys ahead of him I believe have no chance of being cut. Hagan is out if not on the practice squad.

TE (3): Kevin Boss, Travis Beckum, Michael Matthews, Darcy Johnson Lawrence Vickers

Notice here I am adding Matthews instead of Darcy Johnson. I really like Johnson, but Matthews is the best blocker of the group, which means he is important in goalline situations and probably on special team formations like fg attempts. I just don't think the Giants will carry 3 pass catching TE's. Darcy will get picked up by someone else and probably be a pretty good backup TE for them, unfortunately. I initially thought that they would just carry 4 TE's to keep Darcy, but I just don't see that realistically happening.

RB (4): Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, Danny Ware, Dwayne Wright Patrick Allen

Here I am giving Wright the edge because he can pull double duty as backup FB and 4th running back. I think TC will want that flexibility. Last year, Reuben Droughns provided similar flexibility. Also last year, Giants had 5 running backs (not including Hedgecock) make the final 53... 4 this year. Allen likely to the PS.

Good here, I could have listed Wright here instead of in the running back section, though.

OC (2): Shaun O'Hara, Adam Koets

Only change here is that I'm removing the asterisk next to Koets' name. I believe he's safe, despite the snapping troubles. He still is a pretty flexible lineman with good feet, and he's only a 2nd year guy... Giants knew he'd be a project when they drafted him.

Notice now on Offense I have 27 guys.

Defense (24)

DE (4): Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck, Matthias Kiwanuka, Dave Tollefson, Robert Henderson - Maurice Evans, Tommy Hill

No way is Tollefson not making this team. The advantage he has is that he's made plays in real games and played well. He is a pretty good pass rusher and Evans and Henderson are not passing him this year, they are just potential. They will be retained on the PS, if possible.

No changes... unless somebody has to start the year on PUP, which is possible (perhaps Bernard or Robbins). But I project this unit as you have it.

SLB (3): Clint Sintim, Danny Clark, Zak DeOssie - Danny Clark**

<shakes head> No way is Clark not making the team. He's your likely starter week 1. Maybe not for long, but even then they are not going to go with just a rook and DeOssie at the SLB, even though Chase can play all three spots. Clark is the veteran they will need at minimum to provide insurance for the rook, no matter how good Sintim looks in camp. Clark not being on the final 53 is unthinkable, barring injury. As for DeOssie, he is a probowl STer and a long snapper, so he's going to make the team, just as you had him (but I know there are doubters out there.

MLB (3*): Antonio Pierce, Jonathan Goff, Chase Blackburn

You have to make room somewhere. I'm struggling with this one. But Blackburn is way ahead of Goff. Blackburn started 8 games last year and played well. Goff has only a couple of tackles on his NFL resume. Sure, he's only a 2nd year player, but Pierce is the incumbent, and by virtue that Chase can play all 3 spots (and has), while playing well and being a good producer... there's just no way Goff is going to be retained AHEAD of Chase, and I just don't see them carrying 3 guys at this spot. I could be wrong, though... perhaps Goff is on the roster until Boley is activated, then to PS.

EDIT* After WLB analysis, I'm keeping Goff until week 2, but I obviously initially had him crossed off.

WLB (1): Bryan Kehl, Gerris Wilkinson

Well, this is Boley's spot that Kehl is going to hang on to for a week maybe 2. Wilkinson is gone, IMO. As I said above, perhaps it will be Wilkinson rather than Goff that will hang on the final 53 until Boley is activated, but out of the two I'd give the nod to Goff. I will also say that I'm not sure if Boley, while suspended, will count towards the final 53. I'm assuming he won't (giving you the benefit of the doubt here). Either way, I say Wilk is still gone, with Chase as the backup to Kehl week 1. Another note... Kehl might be the best backup WLB in the NFL once Boley comes back.

CB (5): Corey Webster, Aaron Ross, Terrell Thomas, Kevin Dockery, Bruce Johnson - Vince Anderson, Stoney Woodson - DeAndre Wright,

This is the hardest group for me to project. Certainly I think the foursome of Web, Ross, Thomas, and Dockery are safe. However, I don't see 6 guys making it out of this group as they did last year. I think this one is still way up in the air between Johnson, Anderson, Woodson, and Wright for only 1 spot. I'm going to give the early edge to Bruce Johnson based on what I've read of his recent practices... but this could change literally after tomorrow night and the first pre-season game. If I'm projecting someone who has the highest mountain to climb to make it, I'm going to say Wright, again, based soley on practice reports which may not tell the whole story.

Yep, agreed, in that order.

FS (1): Kenny Phillips, Sha'Reff Rashad

I needed an extra roster spot, so only 3 safeties this year. Rashad to PS.

Special Teams (2)

Obviously, no change here.

WLB Michael Boley

Injured Reserve (1)

RB Andre Brown

[u]Notes[/u]

I wouldn't be overly surprised if we brought in a RB at some point either.

If we do go with 4 RBs, it will could be at the expense of the 4th DE spot; Canty and Alford can play DE as can Sintim in passing downs.

I read this report this morning and that's why I figured we'd go with 4 RBs and 2 FBs.

Check it out: Patrick Has a Chance at Making Roster

OK, Pete, here my changes based on my projection of the final 53. By no means do I actually believe this will be 100% accurate when TC makes final cuts.

Offense (27)

I agree with this completely

WR (7): Domenik Hixon, Steve Smith, Sinorice Moss, Hakeem Nicks, Ramsees Barden, Mario Manningham, David Tyree - Derek Hagan, David Tyree

I'm adding Tyree. Somehow I think they will carry 7 WR's. I know this is not the conventional thinking, but I have a hard time believing Tyree is not going to make the roster, and that may just be my heart talking, admittedly. The other 6 guys ahead of him I believe have no chance of being cut. Hagan is out if not on the practice squad.

TE (3): Kevin Boss, Travis Beckum, Michael Matthews, Darcy Johnson Lawrence Vickers

Notice here I am adding Matthews instead of Darcy Johnson. I really like Johnson, but Matthews is the best blocker of the group, which means he is important in goalline situations and probably on special team formations like fg attempts. I just don't think the Giants will carry 3 pass catching TE's. Darcy will get picked up by someone else and probably be a pretty good backup TE for them, unfortunately. I initially thought that they would just carry 4 TE's to keep Darcy, but I just don't see that realistically happening.

RB (4): Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, Danny Ware, Dwayne Wright Patrick Allen

Here I am giving Wright the edge because he can pull double duty as backup FB and 4th running back. I think TC will want that flexibility. Last year, Reuben Droughns provided similar flexibility. Also last year, Giants had 5 running backs (not including Hedgecock) make the final 53... 4 this year. Allen likely to the PS.

Good here, I could have listed Wright here instead of in the running back section, though.

OC (2): Shaun O'Hara, Adam Koets

Only change here is that I'm removing the asterisk next to Koets' name. I believe he's safe, despite the snapping troubles. He still is a pretty flexible lineman with good feet, and he's only a 2nd year guy... Giants knew he'd be a project when they drafted him.

Notice now on Offense I have 27 guys.

Defense (24)

DE (4): Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck, Matthias Kiwanuka, Dave Tollefson, Robert Henderson - Maurice Evans, Tommy Hill

No way is Tollefson not making this team. The advantage he has is that he's made plays in real games and played well. He is a pretty good pass rusher and Evans and Henderson are not passing him this year, they are just potential. They will be retained on the PS, if possible.

No changes... unless somebody has to start the year on PUP, which is possible (perhaps Bernard or Robbins). But I project this unit as you have it.

SLB (3): Clint Sintim, Danny Clark, Zak DeOssie - Danny Clark**

<shakes head> No way is Clark not making the team. He's your likely starter week 1. Maybe not for long, but even then they are not going to go with just a rook and DeOssie at the SLB, even though Chase can play all three spots. Clark is the veteran they will need at minimum to provide insurance for the rook, no matter how good Sintim looks in camp. Clark not being on the final 53 is unthinkable, barring injury. As for DeOssie, he is a probowl STer and a long snapper, so he's going to make the team, just as you had him (but I know there are doubters out there.

MLB (3*): Antonio Pierce, Jonathan Goff, Chase Blackburn

You have to make room somewhere. I'm struggling with this one. But Blackburn is way ahead of Goff. Blackburn started 8 games last year and played well. Goff has only a couple of tackles on his NFL resume. Sure, he's only a 2nd year player, but Pierce is the incumbent, and by virtue that Chase can play all 3 spots (and has), while playing well and being a good producer... there's just no way Goff is going to be retained AHEAD of Chase, and I just don't see them carrying 3 guys at this spot. I could be wrong, though... perhaps Goff is on the roster until Boley is activated, then to PS.

EDIT* After WLB analysis, I'm keeping Goff until week 2, but I obviously initially had him crossed off.

WLB (1): Bryan Kehl, Gerris Wilkinson

Well, this is Boley's spot that Kehl is going to hang on to for a week maybe 2. Wilkinson is gone, IMO. As I said above, perhaps it will be Wilkinson rather than Goff that will hang on the final 53 until Boley is activated, but out of the two I'd give the nod to Goff. I will also say that I'm not sure if Boley, while suspended, will count towards the final 53. I'm assuming he won't (giving you the benefit of the doubt here). Either way, I say Wilk is still gone, with Chase as the backup to Kehl week 1. Another note... Kehl might be the best backup WLB in the NFL once Boley comes back.

CB (5): Corey Webster, Aaron Ross, Terrell Thomas, Kevin Dockery, Bruce Johnson - Vince Anderson, Stoney Woodson - DeAndre Wright,

This is the hardest group for me to project. Certainly I think the foursome of Web, Ross, Thomas, and Dockery are safe. However, I don't see 6 guys making it out of this group as they did last year. I think this one is still way up in the air between Johnson, Anderson, Woodson, and Wright for only 1 spot. I'm going to give the early edge to Bruce Johnson based on what I've read of his recent practices... but this could change literally after tomorrow night and the first pre-season game. If I'm projecting someone who has the highest mountain to climb to make it, I'm going to say Wright, again, based soley on practice reports which may not tell the whole story.

Yep, agreed, in that order.

FS (1): Kenny Phillips, Sha'Reff Rashad

I needed an extra roster spot, so only 3 safeties this year. Rashad to PS.

Special Teams (2)

Obviously, no change here.

WLB Michael Boley

Injured Reserve (1)

RB Andre Brown

[u]Notes[/u]

I think it is a huge importance to keep darcey Johnson in the orginazation. Maybe not on the 53 man roster, but Darcy is a very good pass catching TE. It would be a mistake to let him hit the market.

I think it is a huge importance to keep darcey Johnson in the orginazation. Maybe not on the 53 man roster, but Darcy is a very good pass catching TE. It would be a mistake to let him hit the market.

I agree with what you are saying, but who is going to be the odd man out? Tyree? I just don't think that is a position they can afford to carry 4 TE's. With Boss and Beckum certain to make it, Matthews just carries a little more value as the best blocker. You realize that if he is not retained on the 53 man roster, someone can sign him off our practice squad, right VG? I don't think we are going to cut him, I just think he is signed off the PS.

In the past we have usually gone with a roster spot breakdown something roughly like

• QB 3
  • WR 6
  • TE 3
  • RB 4
  • FB 1
  • OL 9
  • DL 8
  • LB 7
  • DB 10
  • ST 2

possible variations to create extra roster spots include one less spot at either QB, RB, OL or DB

We are going to make sure we have sufficient depth at all positions; considering the depth and quality of talent, there will be some really tough calls for the front office.

eg: is a 4th DE (assuming 5 DT), 4th TE, 7th WR, 4th RB, 2nd FB more important to team success than a 3rd QB, 10th DB, 9th OL?

Alot of it will come down to managing depth and getting a balanced roster

Take Tyree as a 7th WR for example for special teams play. Assume the Giants dress 5 WRs on game day (as has been the case in previous years); so if you give one of these 5 game day spots to Tyree, then you are going to have to sit two players, possibly Barden and Nicks (assuming Hixon, Smith, Moss and Manningham are the top 4 WRs); That doesn't make sense to me; take the best 5 WRs to contribute in the passing

Bear in mind that only 45 players can be active on game day, usually the positional breakdown could be somthing like:

• QB 2
  • WR 5
  • TE 3
  • RB 3
  • FB 1
  • OL 8
  • DL 8
  • LB 6
  • DB 7
  • ST 2

naturally opinions will be understably quite varied as to how the final roster will shake down, I am curious to see how things shape us as preseason unfolds

I'd be surprised if Darcy makes it this time around. Giants drafted Beckum with the intent of training him up to be a better blocker, his receiving skills are already well known. Moss still hasn't done much on the field or on special teams, he makes the roster simply because he is a second round pick? I hope not.

Not worried about Boley at all, we have Brian Kehl back healthy. Wilkinson is definitely on the way out.

I'd be surprised if Darcy makes it this time around. Giants drafted Beckum with the intent of training him up to be a better blocker, his receiving skills are already well known. Moss still hasn't done much on the field or on special teams, he makes the roster simply because he is a second round pick? I hope not.

Not worried about Boley at all, we have Brian Kehl back healthy. Wilkinson is definitely on the way out.

One possibility, and this is for you, VG... is if Beckum takes the projected roster spot I have for Dwayne Wright, and therefore would be the backup fullback/H-back/TE, with the Giants only carrying 3 RB's. In that scenario, Darcy could be retained.

I don't see Clint Sintim starting over Danny Clark, let alone have DeOssie beat him out for backup. Sintim will see time in blitz packages mainly, but Clark's experience and his play against the run is very important. The Giants seem resigned to the idea that DeOssie is going to be long snapper and special team, which leads me to believe Koets will be gone. Koets simply can't stay healthy enough.

Also I believe Mike Matthews stays and Johnson is out. They can get with Beckum what they get with Johnson. Matthews provides good blocking on running plays.

I don't see Clint Sintim starting over Danny Clark, let alone have DeOssie beat him out for backup. Sintim will see time in blitz packages mainly, but Clark's experience and his play against the run is very important. The Giants seem resigned to the idea that DeOssie is going to be long snapper and special team, which leads me to believe Koets will be gone. Koets simply can't stay healthy enough.

Also I believe Mike Matthews stays and Johnson is out. They can get with Beckum what they get with Johnson. Matthews provides good blocking on running plays.

This is certainly quite possible for both Clark and Matthews to stick, in fact Clark probably will. it will be very interesting to see how things will turn out

I agree with what you are saying, but who is going to be the odd man out? Tyree? I just don't think that is a position they can afford to carry 4 TE's. With Boss and Beckum certain to make it, Matthews just carries a little more value as the best blocker. You realize that if he is not retained on the 53 man roster, someone can sign him off our practice squad, right VG? I don't think we are going to cut him, I just think he is signed off the PS.

I honestly don't know much about how the roster/signings work in regards to what the team can do to keep guys on the practice squad. i just assumed a player was offered a contract to be on the practice squad and if he accepted, he was under contract.

But, if he needs to be on the 53 man roster to be retained, i'm comfortable replacing mathews with Darcey.

I gotta go with VG on this. You can learn to block much easier than learn to catch. I especially like Johnson because he's a power runner in the open field. I just thought he would have made a dent by now, and I'm beginning to wonder about the effort.