SportsWrath

"Pathetic" Mets tied for 1st Place

Allstarjim

After a good part of the season I was expecting the Mets to lose every game, that no lead was safe. Now I expect the Mets to win no matter the circumstances. Funny how things can change in just a couple of months. That's why sometimes it's better to BELIEVE in your team, remain hopeful, rather than be NEGATIVE all the time. :)

After a good part of the season I was expecting the Mets to lose every game, that no lead was safe. Now I expect the Mets to win no matter the circumstances. Funny how things can change in just a couple of months. That's why sometimes it's better to BELIEVE in your team, remain hopeful, rather than be NEGATIVE all the time. :)

I assume that this is pointed my way, as no one (other than maybe GG) was as down on the two bit antics of the Mets organization for the better part of this season. Unlike a person who will defend their team at every action I also have stated numerous times despite how bad they were playing I still wanted them to win.

I also caution that getting to 1st place on July 17th means nothing other than the Mets seem to have overcome their paltry no emtion play.

I must ask you a question though AS. It was noted by another poster here that you often do not appear here on these MB's when the Mets are struggling, yet always seem to pop in when things seem to be doing better. Is this just coincidence or does that certain poster who pointed it out have a valid point? Not that is matters, but you would think when one stresses to believe and never get down on the team they would always be here to reinforce that attitude in times of struggle.

BTW, check any of my posts starting around the Angels series before Willie was fired, I called this and take full credit for the turn around. :P

scroll down some

I must ask you a question though AS. It was noted by another poster here that you often do not appear here on these MB's when the Mets are struggling, yet always seem to pop in when things seem to be doing better. Is this just coincidence or does that certain poster who pointed it out have a valid point? Not that is matters, but you would think when one stresses to believe and never get down on the team they would always be here to reinforce that attitude in times of struggle.

scroll down some

Way to call him out, xxi. :)

Seems to me, the same dudes who cry and whine about a terrible team will undoubtedly be gloriously giving me crap now. <_<

Congratulations on a nice turn-around for your team. :)

Way to call him out, xxi. :)

Seems to me, the same dudes who cry and whine about a terrible team will undoubtedly be gloriously giving me crap now. <_<

Congratulations on a nice turn-around for your team. :)

Jim is a good Met fan, no need to call out. I cannot even take credit for noticing he tends to not be here when times are rough.

As for giving you crap, no need for that. #1 its still only July 17th and #2 most people who follow baseball realize that the Phils are a solid team and formidable foe. I must say I am quite happy that the Mets have seemed to correct their chemistry woes as a team and look forard to some good battles with the Phils here on out.

I just cannot believe they came back in the 9th.... when this team was Willie led, if they were loosing in the 7th it was time for me to head to bed.

I tried to stay up, but fell to sleep during the commerical going into the 9th... I woke up and heard that they won the game.... I don't think I would have been more surprised if I woke up to find out that Aliens landed in Washington and impregnated Nancy Pelosi.

I just cannot believe they came back in the 9th.... when this team was Willie led, if they were loosing in the 7th it was time for me to head to bed.

I tried to stay up, but fell to sleep during the commerical going into the 9th... I woke up and heard that they won the game.... I don't think I would have been more surprised if I woke up to find out that Aliens landed in Washington and impregnated Nancy Pelosi.

I'm still holding judgment on this team...it's being held together with bubble gum and spit.

They are beating the teams they are suppose to be beating and that's all well and good, but

we need to beat Atlanta (yeah, I know they aren't in the race...so the fuck what?) because aside

from 2006 the Mets have been the whipping boy of the Braves.

In the words and mentality of Happy Gilmore:

"God, I hate that Chipper Jones."

OMG! Something we actually agree on!

I knew it would happen eventually...

I'm still holding judgment on this team...it's being held together with bubble gum and spit.

They are beating the teams they are suppose to be beating and that's all well and good, but

we need to beat Atlanta (yeah, I know they aren't in the race...so the fuck what?) because aside

from 2006 the Mets have been the whipping boy of the Braves.

Seems to me that GG as our mod and leader of the Mets section of SW is the voice of reason. I must say I myself even have more confidence than you do, but as you know I felt this team was about to take off just before Willie got canned.

Gorilla and I were in the same boat, fell asleep right before the 9th and woke up to find Matt Yallof talking about the big win.

Its very simple for the Mets, If Reyes, Wright, Beltran and Delgado do what they should be able to do and lets say achieve their career averages for the rest of the 2008 season things will fall into place. Its nice to have these contributions from some bench players, but ultimately at the end of the day if that big 4 does their job the as they have always done the Mets are good enough from that point to be a good team.

I would like another bat. Bay, Nady, Holliday(although JR is right about the home/away splits), Thames, Ibanez

I hope Church returns soon, but ONLY when healthy.

I can deal with a Tatis/Chavez platoon in 1 OF position with ENDY always on the field in late games they are winning for as long as needed for Church to get healthy.

Seems to me that GG as our mod and leader of the Mets section of SW is the voice of reason. I must say I myself even have more confidence than you do, but as you know I felt this team was about to take off just before Willie got canned.

Gorilla and I were in the same boat, fell asleep right before the 9th and woke up to find Matt Yallof talking about the big win.

Its very simple for the Mets, If Reyes, Wright, Beltran and Delgado do what they should be able to do and lets say achieve their career averages for the rest of the 2008 season things will fall into place. Its nice to have these contributions from some bench players, but ultimately at the end of the day if that big 4 does their job the as they have always done the Mets are good enough from that point to be a good team.

I would like another bat. Bay, Nady, Holliday(although JR is right about the home/away splits), Thames, Ibanez

I hope Church returns soon, but ONLY when healthy.

I can deal with a Tatis/Chavez platoon in 1 OF position with ENDY always on the field in late games they are winning for as long as needed for Church to get healthy.

I would love another bat in the outfield spots, but at what cost? The Mets farm system is pretty

barren right now with a few exceptions. (and no, Nick Evans is not one of those exceptions)

Fernando Martinez? He is probably the crown jewel of the Mets farm system and he's been injured

a couple times in his minor league career and I really don't expect him up until 2010 really. From the

numbers that I've read he can mash, but he has no plate discipline. In 218 at bats for the Binghampton

Mets he has a whopping 12 walks...if he does come up..expect Jose Reyes-esque 2005..where he

didn't take a walk until like mid May of that year.

I hope Church returns too and he MUST be healthy. My friend(yeah, you all know who) saw him

and she told me he doesn't look good at all and this was before the All Star break

Ditto on the Tatis/Chavez platoon...I can deal with that for a while.

Sounds like you guys feel you have enough pitching. If everyone hits like the Giants and Rockies, you certainly do. I just think back on the Mets championship teams- they all had their horses on the mound.

I would love another bat in the outfield spots, but at what cost? The Mets farm system is pretty

barren right now with a few exceptions. (and no, Nick Evans is not one of those exceptions)

Fernando Martinez? He is probably the crown jewel of the Mets farm system and he's been injured

a couple times in his minor league career and I really don't expect him up until 2010 really. From the

numbers that I've read he can mash, but he has no plate discipline. In 218 at bats for the Binghampton

Mets he has a whopping 12 walks...if he does come up..expect Jose Reyes-esque 2005..where he

didn't take a walk until like mid May of that year.

I hope Church returns too and he MUST be healthy. My friend(yeah, you all know who) saw him

and she told me he doesn't look good at all and this was before the All Star break

Ditto on the Tatis/Chavez platoon...I can deal with that for a while.

You mean you are not sold on Valentino Pascucciparmigianawhateverthefuck?

I assume that this is pointed my way, as no one (other than maybe GG) was as down on the two bit antics of the Mets organization for the better part of this season. Unlike a person who will defend their team at every action I also have stated numerous times despite how bad they were playing I still wanted them to win.

I also caution that getting to 1st place on July 17th means nothing other than the Mets seem to have overcome their paltry no emtion play.

BTW, check any of my posts starting around the Angels series before Willie was fired, I called this and take full credit for the turn around. :P

scroll down some

Hey xxi, I don't know. I've been on here when the Mets were doing bad as well as good. I will say that the times I come to SW is pretty erratic. Sometimes I come on while at work, sometimes not. If I travel home to visit my fiancee, I most assuredly do not. Sometimes I come and check things out, but don't have much to say on a particular subject. But I have posted during dark times, remember when we were "battling" about the future of the team? Surely the Mets were not playing well, but I remained optimistic. I will say I am an optimist by nature and am glad I am. I will always look to find the positives, but will not completely ignore the negatives either. I still think you are a pessimist, but I've learned that just because we may have 180 degree different outlooks, I should not let that bother me. Yes, I was thinking of you when I started this thread, but believe me, it was only a good-natured chiding.

There may have been times when I have not posted during the Mets playing poorly. It probably has more to do with me not being able to watch many games as of late, and thusly I am less inclined to make observations on their play to comment on. If I come here and someone else makes an interesting topic, I will usually reply, but most other Met fans here don't do that too much either... so why do I get singled out??? :P No worries...

Also for the record, by me being an optimist does not mean I will defend the Mets no matter what. I personally didn't like the way they handled the Willie firing, and I don't like the antics of Bernazard and Jeff Wilpon. I've been critical of players too at different times during the season, it's just that through it all, I always believed they had the talent to turn it around.

I do remember when you called the hot streak. It was almost like you placed a call to Miss Cleo or Dionne Warwick. I mean, I have no idea how you had the foresight to see that the Mets were right on the cusp of such dramatic improved play, but I'm glad you were right.

As for being around to reinforce an attitude in times of struggle, well I'm not that inclined to think that my posts on here make any difference how other posters would feel about the team. And xxi, thanks for the compliment on my Mets' fandom. I do see you as a true fan as well, even though we've butted heads. I know I can be a bit boorish at times to put it lightly and sometimes let my big mouth get me in trouble, and I really appreciate you maintaining civility at all times. You are a gentleman, sir.

As for Ggirl... WHA?! I was shocked, SHOCKED I tell you that Ggirl threw a barb my way! I've always been complimentary to Ggirl and only pick on her for her Phils phandom! Ggirl, it will take me a bit to recover from your punch to the gut, but a Mets' series win against the Phils next week should do the trick! ;) It still stings though... didn't see that one coming from you! :( I do, like xxi, believe the Phils have a good team, and think that they did improve their chances with the addition of Blanton. I just don't think he will be enough to get the Phils over other teams in the playoffs like the Cubs, or should we be so fortunate, the Mets.

Blu - I do believe that we have enough pitching. Especially with the resurgent Pelf (man it looks like he has figured it out), I think our one through five is as solid as there is in the National League, and our bullpen is very good as well. Wagner is the only one who I worry about should we go to the playoffs, him snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. But you can't worry too much about that right now.

I agree with GG about the prospects of a trade. No matter what, I want Tatis to maintain a large role, because he has just hit so well and come up big too many times to keep him on the bench.

Sounds like you guys feel you have enough pitching. If everyone hits like the Giants and Rockies, you certainly do. I just think back on the Mets championship teams- they all had their horses on the mound.

i get the feeling they only want mets fans on here, blu. ok, so be it.

As for Ggirl... WHA?! I was shocked, SHOCKED I tell you that Ggirl threw a barb my way! I've always been complimentary to Ggirl and only pick on her for her Phils phandom! Ggirl, it will take me a bit to recover from your punch to the gut, but a Mets' series win against the Phils next week should do the trick! ;) It still stings though... didn't see that one coming from you! :( I do, like xxi, believe the Phils have a good team, and think that they did improve their chances with the addition of Blanton. I just don't think he will be enough to get the Phils over other teams in the playoffs like the Cubs, or should we be so fortunate, the Mets.

Does no one here ever get the sarcasm? :mellow:

Mr. Allstar...that "barb" was thrown at xxi, not you. In either case, I am NEVER rough and tumble (except on ocassion with my b/f) on here with anyone, least of all you.

We'll see how that series next week goes. Good luck! ;)

Well ASJ I am an optimist in life, maybe I am pessimistic when it comes to the Mets, but I have been watching and rooting for this team for about 25 years now, and although my early fandom was met with much success, the last 20 years(starting with the awful loss to the Dodgers in 88, to the Rogers bases loaded walk in Atlanta to the awful 2000 WS to the overrated awful seasons of 92,93 and 2001)Murphys law has been the rule. Factor in the history of trades such as Nolan Ryan, Kenny Singleton, Amos Otis, Tom Seaver, Lenny Dykstra and David Cone and Scott Kazmir and well you get the point....

As for being down on the Mets? I still maintain that for the better part of this year and most of the 2nd half last year there was nothing to be optimistic about. They played with a malaise that you would expect from a team playing out he string. Combine that with some questionable management decisions, both by the GM and manager and there was no reason to be frustrated. I must say, whether we knew it or not(some like Gorilla always maintained it)Randolph was clearly the problem on this team, its almost like they played with a stick up their ases.

As for the talent level, yes its there. We still as Met fans tend to overrate our role players to an extent, but like I have said before our big 4 of Reyes, Wright, Beltran and Delgado if they do what they normally do, should be enough for this team to succeed with its pitching and nice collection of role players.

As for my knowing the team would turn it around. It was just a gut feeling. I liked the consistency I had seen at that point from the starting pitching and I simply figured that the law of averages says the Mets have to go on a roll soon, it had really in essence been over a year of baseball since they put together any real streak of 4-5, let alone 10 like they did. :TU:

I hope this team continues to play well and I think they well(is that pessimism? :mellow: ). Why? I think Manuel for reasons we really probably will never know has corrected the chemistry problems that this team had under Randolph. I think that combined with the looser environment will lead to success from here on out. What will be interesting to see is how they possibly handle a lead in September. I almost think from a psyche standpoint that it would be better to in a full fledge race, neck and neck as opposed to possesing a lead, as the constant questions about September 2007 would be a lot for any player to take, let alone some 18-20 that were here for that. SHould be fun either way.

Now that the streak is over, I say it's time to get back to reality here. The Mets are a talented ball club, and they definitely have what it takes to be in First Place. The thing that worries me about them is that I feel they are still inconsistent.

John Maine is losing it, he's not doing well. Jose Reyes is 0-10 coming out of the all star break. Pedro might be hurt. We have no good corner outfielder. The bullpen may or may not be inefficient.

Overall, this has been a great run. Need to capitalize, and win the series against the Reds, and get them Phillies behind us.

i get the feeling they only want mets fans on here, blu. ok, so be it.

blu your thoughts are welcome here any time as far as I am concerned. To answer your question I am pretty confident in the starters. I feel at least 1-4 we are in good shape with Pedro being the constant injury concern. If there were one out there that would come cheap would I inquire? Yeah, but the pressing need for this team is an everyday (or at least semi everyday) corner outfielder.

Now that the streak is over, I say it's time to get back to reality here. The Mets are a talented ball club, and they definitely have what it takes to be in First Place. The thing that worries me about them is that I feel they are still inconsistent.

John Maine is losing it, he's not doing well. Jose Reyes is 0-10 coming out of the all star break. Pedro might be hurt. We have no good corner outfielder. The bullpen may or may not be inefficient.

Overall, this has been a great run. Need to capitalize, and win the series against the Reds, and get them Phillies behind us.

Jay, when I looked at the highlights of the game (was only able to follow the gamecast last night), Maine was not hit hard. A play Wright should have made and a bloop single to right that Argenis Reyes probably would have made... those were two outs that very well could have happened but didn't. He got hit with some bad luck at inopportune times, and really was not hit hard. I think he has been wild in his last few starts and that is where his focus should be, because it's the walks that are really hurting him in recent starts. I think he is going through a bad patch right now but he will be ok in the 2nd half. I was worried about his velocity but when I watched SportCenter this morning I saw his fastball hitting 94 several times, which is right where he should be.

Again, I am not worried about the corner outfielder, unless Church is unable to come back. I think we will be fine and I don't think we should do something rash by trading away more prospects to grab an outfield bat that may or may not bring more than what Tatis will bring us. If Church cannot come back, then we have a problem, but at least we should wait a lot closer to the trading deadline before we make that call.

blu your thoughts are welcome here any time as far as I am concerned. To answer your question I am pretty confident in the starters. I feel at least 1-4 we are in good shape with Pedro being the constant injury concern. If there were one out there that would come cheap would I inquire? Yeah, but the pressing need for this team is an everyday (or at least semi everyday) corner outfielder.

Blu, I agree with xxi, you are an astute baseball fan and I always welcome your input.