SportsWrath

VG Giants Mock Draft

Virginia Giant

This is my first ever attempt at a mock draft, it may be a bit early but I wanted to get a little experience. May not be the finished product and I may change it later. But here it is.

Note: I really want James hardy, the WR from Indiana in the first, but he's just not gonna be there I fear. If he is, get him, if not, see below.

Round 1

Carl Nicks OT Nebraska

Hieght: 6'4"

Weight: 341 lbs

Combine results: (40 - 5.12) (Bench @225 - 31)

Why I like him for the Giants: Most people expect to either go DB or LB here, but I think both those position can be filled later. Deihl did an admiral job on '07 and he will be the starter for '08 even drafting Nicks. But Carl is a top tier talent that needs polishing, he is the answer for the tackle position for the future.

From fantasyinsideronline.com

POSITIVES• A physical freak – rumored to be a solid and ripped 343 lbs. (wow)

• Very quick and fast – rumored to stun at the combine

• Aggressive player – loves to mix it up

• Might have the biggest upside at the position in this draft

NEGATIVES

• Extremely raw

• Not a lot of experience – only started this year

• Flaws in his technique

ANALYSIS

If Nicks is as impressive as many have claimed, he may make a splash in February at the combines. Again, figuring the value of a solid offensive lineman and his raw tools, he may end up going higher than expected.

Round 2

Shawn Crable OLB Michigan

Hieght: 6'4"

Weight: 245 lbs

Combine results: (40 - 4.64) (bench @225 - 29)

Why I like him for the Giants: We're pretty set at starters at OLB with Kiwi and Wilkerson and Deossie is a good back up, but we all agree we need depth. Crable is big, strong and pretty quick. IMO he is prototypical blitze LB for us and a solid tackler. He adds talented depth and someone who should be able to play in a back up role immediately. And if Kiwi gets moved back, he is the fiture starter.

from warrromreport.com

Strengths: Strong linebacker with an ideal frame…stout player with good bulk…has the strength to play SAM linebacker at the next level…good athleticism for his size…terrific blitzer for a linebacker…solid lower body strength…able to hold his own at the point of attack…does an adequate job covering tight ends, using his strength to jam them well…disruptive force in the backfield…

Weaknesses: Only two years as a starter…instincts are a bit questionable…attempts to use his strength too frequently…does not understand leverage use…can be sucked in by play action…not a playmaker in coverage…needs to develop a better pass rush repertoire…work ethic is questioned…

Overall: Crable stands out as one of the top prospects for the SAM position at the NFL level. He also fits the 3-4 scheme as an OLB, where he would be an ideal fit next to a pure pass rusher. He is a terrific athlete with a good frame, and he had a very productive season in 2007 for Michigan, with an obscene 28.5 tackles for a loss. His versatility and high upside make him a very attractive prospect for a number of teams…

Round 3

Zack Bowman CB Nebraska

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 200

Combine Results: (40 - 4.38) (Bench @ 225 - 18)

Why I like him for the Giants: He's a big fast athletic cb. He'd be a first rounder if not for his knee injuries. He fits for us because he will be given time to grow and make sure he is healthy on our team.

from fftoolbox.com

2008 NFL Draft Prospect - Scouting Report

If not for multiple injuries suffered in the last year, Zack Bowman would likely be rated higher as a prospect. But, because of his size and great coverage skills, he should at least be a Day One pick.

Bowman signed with Nebraska out of high school, but he had to spend two years in junior college in New Mexico, where he had an impressive 18 pass breakups as a freshman. He re-signed with Nebraska and made an immediate impact in 2005, recording 14 pass breakups and two interceptions to go along with 27 tackles - starting only the final five games.

But, that's when the injury issues started. In fall practice before the 2006 season, Bowman tore his ACL and missed what was supposed to be his senior year. He decided to stay in Lincoln to finish out his collegiate career instead of entering the 2007 draft and suffered more injury woes in spring practice in March, rupturing the patella tendon in his right knee.

But, he made an excellent recovery from both injuries and returned to the field in Nebraska's second game of the season. In 11 games, he had 29 tackles, one interception, and six pass breakups, despite starting only four games.

If he can stay healthy, he could be a fine cover corner in the NFL with his size, cover skills, and speed (he ran a Nebraska cornerback record 4.36 40 in January '06, before his injury problems started). He may wind up going lower in the draft than he may have in 2007 with no injury issues, but he could be one of those high-risk, high-reward players if he can avoid the same bad luck in the NFL. The second round might be a bit high at this point, with so many other talented corners set to be in the draft pool, but it wouldn't be a surprise if someone took him there or soon after, if he can impress at the combine. Where he falls might come down to his 40 time at the combine and if his surgically repaired knees have any impact on how fast he is now.

Round 4

Frank Morton DT Tulane

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 327

Combine Results: (40- 5.30) (bench @225 - 26)

hy I like him for the Giants: Big dude who could be good in the rotation of tackles. Not an immediate starter but could be effective as a ackup.

Not much on reports availabe. nfldraftscout.com says he big enought o clog and athletic enough to disrupt.

Round 5

Dennis Keyes FS UCLA

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 205 lbs

Combine Results: (40 - 4.60)

Why I like him for the Giants: I think we need to add some project safties to the mix, even after signing Knight. Johnson is still not proven and Knight is not a spring chicken.

from fftoolbox.com

2008 NFL Draft Prospect - Scouting ReportKeyes is an ultra-athletic, lightening quick safety prospect. Although he has some trouble reading routes from his defensive safety position, he has good enough speed to recover. UCLA's defense has been somewhat of a disappointment this year, but Keyes has been a steady performer. Keyes is another prospect that does not do any one thing great, but he is such a great athlete that many teams will be intrigued. He has stepped up his run support very well in comparison to 2006. Keyes' range makes him very likeable and he will contribute on special teams immediately upon entry into the league. Although this is one of the weakest safety classes in years, Keyes is one of the more athletic prospects at the safety position in this year's draft. He ran well at the combine with a 4.59 forty yard dash. In spite of having a decent combine, he still does not project as a first day pick. Keyes is a developmental player and will likely not contribute early in his career, but with coaching and practice could develop better instincts and has the athletic ability to develop into a superstar.

Round 6

Matt Kroul DE Iowa

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 271 lbs

Why I like him for the Giants: C'mon, did you think we wouldn't draft a DE? Anyway, we do need a backup for when Strahan retires, especially if Kiwi sticks at LB. Good pass rusher and decent size.

Round 6

Dowayne Davis SS Syracuse

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 195 lbs

Why I like him for the Giants: Again, another safety project. Not huge but decent size and runs a reported 4.45 40.

Notes: I think we'll draft a WR in the mid rounds. I had us picking Hardy in the first bu the more I read the more I doubt he's there for us. I had already had my mock pretty much made out when I changed the first pick so like I said, I could change it later.

Here are some WR possibilities for the mid rounds.

William Franklin, Missouri

Height: 6-0. Weight: 214.

Projected 40 Time: 4.40.

Combine 40 Time: 4.37.

Vertical: 34.5.

Jerome Simpson, Coastal Carolina

Height: 6-1. Weight: 190.

Projected 40 Time: 4.46.

Combine 40 Time: 4.37.

Vertical: 37.5. Broad 11-4.

Patrick Carter, Louisville

Height: 6-3. Weight: 200.

40 Time: 4.32.

Opinions? Criticisms? Be gentle. :(

Nice mock! I wouldn't be surprised if we took a tackle with our first, though OT is supposedly very deep this year so maybe we can wait? If Connor/Rivers is there at our 31st I don't think we'll pass.

I posted last night on how high I am on Hardy and if he somehow falls to us than we should seriously consider snagging him.

For all I know....you might be right on the money. However, I never dare predict anything after the first and second round and my record in the past is about 0 for 20.

In the first round, I think you could be right. Unless of course, if Kenny Phillips, Kentwan Balmer, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, or Leodis McKelvin is still available....all bets are off. Nicks would be a great pickup and it would allow Diehl to move back to guard or back up LT in a pinch. It would make a dream front line to protect Eli.

The Giants staff is soooo secretive that we hear almost nothing. When a rumor is dropped, it's probably more of a ruse than something substantiave. Therefore, it's awfully difficult to predict what they'll do. In the past, they simply create a want list (in order of preference), of every single player they would like to have on the team and then cross off the ones that get drafted. So when it's their turn, they simply look who hasn't been crossed off. In the case of Kiwi, he was near the top of the overall list and nearly all of the other top 20 wants of the Giants were already gone...making it a no-brainer. Dittos with Tuck, Osi and Snee....all who were picked in the second or third rounds but were very high on the Giants want list.

Using that as a yard stick, I'd say that Nicks is definitely on the Giants short list, but it someone falls through the cracks that's at the top of their list....that's who they will go for.

One thing that is lagging in the back of my mind is that the Giants aren't through trying to get a deal done for Hall. I'm wondering if the Giants and Falcons don't have a contingent deal on the table. That is....the falcons would be willing to make the trade for Hall on draft day depending who was still available on the board. It wouldn't surprise me one iota that when the Giants are on the clock during the first round, that someone goes to the podium and announces that the Giants have traded their first round pick for DeAngelo Hall to the Falcons.

Regardless....it's fun to try and guess what will happen....but anything is possible and draft day is crazy.

For all I know....you might be right on the money. However, I never dare predict anything after the first and second round and my record in the past is about 0 for 20.

In the first round, I think you could be right. Unless of course, if Kenny Phillips, Kentwan Balmer, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, or Leodis McKelvin is still available....all bets are off. Nicks would be a great pickup and it would allow Diehl to move back to guard or back up LT in a pinch. It would make a dream front line to protect Eli.

The Giants staff is soooo secretive that we hear almost nothing. When a rumor is dropped, it's probably more of a ruse than something substantiave. Therefore, it's awfully difficult to predict what they'll do. In the past, they simply create a want list (in order of preference), of every single player they would like to have on the team and then cross off the ones that get drafted. So when it's their turn, they simply look who hasn't been crossed off. In the case of Kiwi, he was near the top of the overall list and nearly all of the other top 20 wants of the Giants were already gone...making it a no-brainer. Dittos with Tuck, Osi and Snee....all who were picked in the second or third rounds but were very high on the Giants want list.

Using that as a yard stick, I'd say that Nicks is definitely on the Giants short list, but it someone falls through the cracks that's at the top of their list....that's who they will go for.

One thing that is lagging in the back of my mind is that the Giants aren't through trying to get a deal done for Hall. I'm wondering if the Giants and Falcons don't have a contingent deal on the table. That is....the falcons would be willing to make the trade for Hall on draft day depending who was still available on the board. It wouldn't surprise me one iota that when the Giants are on the clock during the first round, that someone goes to the podium and announces that the Giants have traded their first round pick for DeAngelo Hall to the Falcons.

Regardless....it's fun to try and guess what will happen....but anything is possible and draft day is crazy.

I agree on Phillips and Cromatrtie, and I'll add james hardy to that list. He is just too good a prospect to pass up if he falls to us.

It's definately a guessing game, this was my idea on what the giants should do. They could easily take a back up runningback in the draft.

As far as Hall is concerned, I hope they get a deal done before the draft. The anticipation of the first round pick is too nerve racking to be traded away at the last second.

I wanted Eli bad in '04, and when San Diego took him i was on pins and needles till the deal was struck. I can't see my heart taking another draft day first round deal like that.

I agree on Phillips and Cromatrtie, and I'll add james hardy to that list. He is just too good a prospect to pass up if he falls to us.

It's definately a guessing game, this was my idea on what the giants should do. They could easily take a back up runningback in the draft.

As far as Hall is concerned, I hope they get a deal done before the draft. The anticipation of the first round pick is too nerve racking to be traded away at the last second.

I wanted Eli bad in '04, and when San Diego took him i was on pins and needles till the deal was struck. I can't see my heart taking another draft day first round deal like that.

I agree with you 100%. And worse, this year the Giants pick dead last and it will seem like forever by the time they are finally on the clock.

After an awful lot of thought (and I know I've beaten you up on this)...but, I actually think giving away their no.1 pick for Hall would be the best option. The Giants scouting staff has a wicked good eye for talent and will reload the shelves with quality players from round 2 through 7 (and we still get 7 picks because of the extra 6th rounder). Either way, we should end up with at least a few future keepers after the dust settles.

I agree with you 100%. And worse, this year the Giants pick dead last and it will seem like forever by the time they are finally on the clock.

After an awful lot of thought (and I know I've beaten you up on this)...but, I actually think giving away their no.1 pick for Hall would be the best option. The Giants scouting staff has a wicked good eye for talent and will reload the shelves with quality players from round 2 through 7 (and we still get 7 picks because of the extra 6th rounder). Either way, we should end up with at least a few future keepers after the dust settles.

The only thing that worries me is that last year Reese new the draft picks from top to bottom, he was the scout and was familiar with everyone. this year he's depending on a new scout. We'll see.

The only thing that worries me is that last year Reese new the draft picks from top to bottom, he was the scout and was familiar with everyone. this year he's depending on a new scout. We'll see.

I watched an interesting show last night on NFL Network about how players are sized up for the draft. A past head NFL coach (forget who it was now) said that there is nothing more misleading about players than hype, so good scouts avoid all the hype and focus on individual skills of all players on a team. He went on to say there are 3 basic things that are looked at when sizing up a player to draft:

1) Combine scores

2) Several hours of video tape on each player

3) Requests for certain types of players from the team's coaches.

He then said that in order of importance, it's the coach's requests that weigh heaviest. As an example, Spags knows precisely what kind of defense he is building and knows where the shortcomings are. He isn't looking for the most athletic or the fastest or something that fan's focus on. He looks at a player's instinctive movements and his ability to adapt to a style of play that he wants to be using. Therefore, he may see a player that isn't highly ranked, but to the coach's eyes, he fits into the defensive scheme like a piece of a puzzle. Of course, as the defensive coordinator, he's working closely with his linebackers coach Bill Sheridan when sizing up a potential linebacker to draft, or with Mike Waufle (defensive line coach) when sizing up a potential lineman, and so forth. And of course, same goes for Gilbride and the offensive coaches.

So no. 1 priority when choosing a player - is field coach's requests.

He said the second most important part of scouting a player is watching videos of a player to determine his strengths and weaknesses. They can also tell if the player can adapt to the style of play that the NFL club is looking for.

So no. 2 priority when choosing a player - is going over hours of tape to watch a potential pick

And lastly, the combine gives some insight into a players athleticism, but says very little about how the kid plays football. He said the combine scores are only used when trying to pick between several players that the coaches have decided are all about equal. So if player A, player B, and player C are equally desireable, then size, weight, who can jump the highest or run the fastest may be a deal breaker. But according to the coach, it rarely comes down to that.

So to reiterate, the reality of good coaches flips the above 3 things upside down and prioritize as such:

1) Requests for certain types of players from the team's coaches.

2) Several hours of video tape on each player

3) Combine scores

The coach said that oftentimes, half the targeted players don't even get drafted so the few hours after the draft are very important to sign the players and get them into camp to see how they work out with the team. This is why we've seen pro-bowlers in the past who went undrafted on draft day.

Interestingly, TV analysts, magazine and beat writers focus primarily on two things - combine scores and hype. And the hype gets carried over to other beat writers, which adds to the hype and before you know it, a player has been made into an NFL media star before he's taken a single snap in the real world of the NFL and gotten his head taken off by a real player in the bigs. Hence, when the Mel Kippers, beat writers and talking heads give team grades for how they drafted - they are based entirely on hype even though hype doesn't win a single ball game.

Regardless...I don't think Reese is sitting in his office every day gloating about the SB victory and going over finances. During the combines, Reese, Coughlin, Spags and Gilbride were sitting right in the bleachers the entire time taking notes, comparing notes, talking to players, etc. They are working long hours going over hours of tape and talking with Spags, Gilbride, and all the coaches.

Trust in them!