SportsWrath

Vendetta's Pre-Free Agency Giants Mock Draft

mastershake

Note: I'd go with this even if we get a DT and LB in free agency. I don't go particularly high on OL in this draft for two reasons: 1- I think Reese will either shuffle the line (Diehl to LG or RT), and pick up some OL in the offseason, 2-We have young guys in Mosley and McCants who were injured last year and didn't get a chance, and can be viewed as "draft picks" or rookies this year.

I'm convinced the biggest weakness the giants had last year was on defense. In this draft, I seek to re-established the giants dominant defenses of the past:

1, 19th Pick. DT Kawann Short, Purdue 6'3 300 (Reese likes length and versatile DLs, and I like the game tape I've seen on him)

2. 49th Pick. OLB Arthur Brown, Kansas State, 6'0 242

3. 81st Pick. ILB Jon Bostic, Florida, 6'1 246

4. 113th pick, CB Rod Sweeting, Georgia Tech 5'11 189

5. Earl Watford, OG James Madison 6'3 300

5 (projected compensatory pick for Aaron Ross) Josh Evans, FS Florida 6'1 209

6. Travis Johnson, OLB San Jose St 6'2 244

7 Matthew Tucker, RB TCU 6'0 221

We get a comp pick for Ross?

Nice!

Not familiar with the prospects in your mock but I'll do my homework.

It looks like for Ross and Manningham, we may be getting two compensatory picks, possibly in rounds 5-6.

There are rumors that we possibly may get a 7th for Tolleson as well. The compensatory pick calculation is complicated, but the gist is it's = free agents lost with non-minimum contracts minus free agents signed to non-minimum contracts.

Essentially we "lost" four players to Free Agency last year (Jacobs, Ross, Manningham, Tolleson to non minimum contracts), and signed only one free agent Bennet (again, to a non-minimum contract). The net result is 4-1 = 3. I'm not certain if Tolleson counts - if he does not, that gives us two.

Players like Stevie Brown don't quality in the above calculation because we signed him for the league minimum. Another example of a player who doesn't qualify in the above calculation is Jon Goff - he signed elsewhere, but did so for the league minimum.