SportsWrath

Snap Counts; OO Plays More Than Twice as Much as Moore in his Debut

Mr. P

EAST RUTHERFORD — Giants rookie defensive end Owa Odighizuwa got plenty of work in his NFL debut.

The third round pick out of UCLA, who missed the first three games of the season with a foot injury, saw 47 snaps in the Giants' 24-10 win over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday in Orchard Park, N.Y.

"He obviously hasn't played in quite some time, and that was a factor there. But he got in there, he mixed it up," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said on Monday. That Odighizuwa saw so many snaps is proof he should have a big role in the Giants' plans on the defensive line going forward.

Odighizuwa had the third-most snaps on the line, trailing tackle/end Cullen Jenkins by just one. Starting defensive end Kerry Wynn had the most among the line (66).

PLUS: Good, bad and ugly as Giants manhandle Bills in big win

Considering the other starting end, George Selvie, saw just 19 snaps, Odighizuwa should continue to have a heavy presence once end Robert Ayers Jr. returns from his hamstring injury. Odighizuwa also doubled up end Damontre Moore (23) on snaps.

"He made a really nice play on the quarterback where he kept the ball on the option," Coughlin said. "He got himself in position a couple of times where he could have been able to apply some pressure, perhaps, with a little bit better movement to the quarterback and the passing game. He got in there, he got his feet wet."

Here are some other observations from the participation report:

A lot more Craig Dahl: The veteran safety had just four snaps on defense in the first three games of the season, but he had a much bigger role Sunday against the physical, run-heavy Bills. Dahl registered 24 snaps at safety while starters Landon Collins and Brandon Meriweather, as per usual, hardly left the field, playing 99 percent of the defensive snaps.

Nikita Whitlock report: Whitlock played 23 snaps on special teams, 13 at fullback and eight at defensive tackle for a grand total of 44 snaps.

Readjustment at middle linebacker?: Defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo was asked before the game how he planned to utilize Jon Beason and Uani 'Unga going forward. He said both would play, but seemed to intimate 'Unga's role would be reduced with Beason now healthy.

On Sunday, Beason had 32 snaps while 'Unga had just 19. Linebacker Jonathan Casillas also had a big workload, taking 34 snaps when the Giants went with passing packages.

OFFENSIVE SNAPS:

T Marshall Newhouse 70

QB Eli Manning 70

G Justin Pugh 70

C Weston Richburg 70

G Geoff Schwartz 69

WR Odell Beckham Jr. 69

WE Rueben Randle 66

TE Larry Donnell 65

T Ereck Flowers 60

WR Dwayne Harris 51

RB Rashad Jennings 29

RB Shane Vereen 22

RB Andre Williams 18

FB Nikita Whitlock 13

TE Will Tye 12

G John Jerry 11

RB Orleans Darkwa 2

T Bobby Hart 2

WR Geremy Davis 1

DEFENSIVE SNAPS:

CB Prince Amukamara 75

S Landon Collins 75

S Brandon Meriweather 75

DE Kerry Wynn 66

CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie 65

DT Johnathan Hankins 50

LB Devon Kennard 49

DE Cullen Jenkins 48

DE Owa Odighizuwa 47

LB Jonathan Casillas 34

LB Jon Beason 32

LB J.T. Thomas 26

DT Jay Bromley 26

CB Trumaine McBride 26

S Craig Dahl 24

DE Damontre Moore 23

CB Trevin Wade 22

LB Uani 'Unga 19

DE George Selvie 16

DT Louis Nix 10

CB Jayron Hosley 9

LB Mark Herzlich 1

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/10/owa_odighizuwa_active_in_1st_career_nfl_game_giant.html#incart_river

I'm pleasantly surprised he played so much. It helps that he already comes in as a better run defender than pass rusher. But I've all but given up on Moore living up to what we thought his potential was.

It's the roll of the dice of the draft.

Moore was seen as one of the better value pass rushers in the third round, yet hasnt lived up to his potential.

It happens unfortunately, if all players in a draft could be a solid contributor year in and out that would be great, but some players just dont pan out.

Hopefully George doesnt follow the same path, the fact the coaches trust him on the field more in his first game than Moore in his entire career, makes me think he wont.

It's the roll of the dice of the draft.

Moore was seen as one of the better value pass rushers in the third round, yet hasnt lived up to his potential.

It happens unfortunately, if all players in a draft could be a solid contributor year in and out that would be great, but some players just dont pan out.

Hopefully George doesnt follow the same path, the fact the coaches trust him on the field more in his first game than Moore in his entire career, makes me think he wont.

that is true ... and right now, a stud pass rusher is what we are missing, badly

Wait why are we blaming the player when we could be blaming the coach?

Coughlin and every other coach is holding this team back, when he isn't rushing people back from injuries or causing them :rimshot:

True, Coughlin is probably telling Moore to not be effective.

I think Moore's time as a Giant is coming to an end. I don't see them resigning him unless he has an amazing turnaround.

More interesting to me is that Trevin Wade had more than twice as many snaps as Hosley. I've been a fan of Wade and think he has real potential. I think Hosley's days are also numbered.

Surprised that Herzlich only had 1 snap. He's always been good on Special Teams, but they don't even have him in there for that. Makes me wonder if he's hurt or if he's being phased out.

Wait why are we blaming the player when we could be blaming the coach?

Coughlin and every other coach is holding this team back, when he isn't rushing people back from injuries or causing them :rimshot:

True, Coughlin is probably telling Moore to not be effective.

The coaches decided to start Kiwanuka, an 11-year vet who was clearly ineffective, over a generally unknown second-year player when there was literally nothing to lose by taking a look at the young guy.

No matter how you slice it, that's a dumb decision. Maybe if we had given Moore more snaps last year, we'd have known what we'd had going into this year.

As it is, he's not playing horribly. He's had at least as much pressure as any of the other guys, and it's tough as a speed/edge rusher to get pressure if there's consistently a clean pocket to step into because your DTs get no push. His numbers may not show it but his rushes have been adequate. Yeah the numbers aren't there but his play isn't bad... it's certainly not great either, but I'm not ready to send him his walking papers yet.

The coaches decided to start Kiwanuka, an 11-year vet who was clearly ineffective, over a generally unknown second-year player when there was literally nothing to lose by taking a look at the young guy.

No matter how you slice it, that's a dumb decision. Maybe if we had given Moore more snaps last year, we'd have known what we'd had going into this year.

As it is, he's not playing horribly. He's had at least as much pressure as any of the other guys, and it's tough as a speed/edge rusher to get pressure if there's consistently a clean pocket to step into because your DTs get no push. His numbers may not show it but his rushes have been adequate. Yeah the numbers aren't there but his play isn't bad... it's certainly not great either, but I'm not ready to send him his walking papers yet.

You act as if the Giant's coaches had no idea the type of player Moore was before this season.

It's the reason why guys like Wynn and George are on the team.

It doesnt take much in practice and split game time for the coaches to determine the type of player Moore is.

And how is it a dumb decision? You either play an ineffective young guy who obviously doesnt know how to play the run or even rush the passer on good day, or you play a old vet who is just as ineffective. Really neither situation helps the team in any way, just stops the bleeding till the end of the season.

Moore fits better in a 3-4 has an OLB. That's what he played at A&M and where he was protected to fit in the pros. I thought Moore could of been of thrown in a deal for Jared Allen, assuming the Giants were even on Allen's list of teams

Meh, I'm with Seph, here. He has played adequately and in many respects, better than the other pass rushing DEs on this team. None of our guys on the line right now are 3 down players, let's not kid ourselves here.

Moore fits better in a 3-4 has an OLB. That's what he played at A&M and where he was protected to fit in the pros. I thought Moore could of been of thrown in a deal for Jared Allen, assuming the Giants were even on Allen's list of teams

His last year in college he played DE where he got all the sacks. Yeah I would have drafted him as a linebacker but hey we all know the success we have had with those tweener LB/DE hybrids. One has to pan out at some point right?

DaMonster has no discipline and gives away too many stupid penalties with late hits ,roughing the passer etc .etc. Every so often he does something brilliant ( eg blocks a punt ) but he is patchy and too much of a liability for General Coughlin i think.

And how is it a dumb decision? You either play an ineffective young guy who obviously doesnt know how to play the run or even rush the passer on good day, or you play a old vet who is just as ineffective. Really neither situation helps the team in any way, just stops the bleeding till the end of the season.

It's a dumb decision because you have nothing to play for, and there are two guys at the same position... one who's arrow may or may not be pointing up, and another who's arrow is clearly pointing down. Its not like we were fighting for a playoff spot the last six weeks of the season... again, why WOULDN'T you see what you've got with the young guy?

And as far as the Giants coaches not knowing who Moore is... well, this is the same team that signed Brandon Stokely to play over Victor Cruz in Cruz's breakout season. Its not like they don't make mistakes or always have their finger on the pulse of the team.

It's a dumb decision because you have nothing to play for, and there are two guys at the same position... one who's arrow may or may not be pointing up, and another who's arrow is clearly pointing down. Its not like we were fighting for a playoff spot the last six weeks of the season... again, why WOULDN'T you see what you've got with the young guy?

And as far as the Giants coaches not knowing who Moore is... well, this is the same team that signed Brandon Stokely to play over Victor Cruz in Cruz's breakout season. Its not like they don't make mistakes or always have their finger on the pulse of the team.

It's not like Moore was chained permanently to the bench. He got his snaps and if he had played better and showed a little progress, he would have earned more snaps....but he didn't so snaps remained limited. That's the way it works, on the Giants, in the NFL and, for that matter, on most high school teams! Believe me, they knew what they had in Moore - they worked with him from training camp on, coaching him up in practice, week after week, hoping he'd develop at some point.....but they're not going to throw a guy in there for extended periods of time to the detriment of the rest of the team - guys who, despite the record, are busting their ass, trying to win.....and Kiwi, older and slowed down as he was, gave them a better chance to win Simple as that. And don't ever tell those guys or a coach they have "nothing to play for"! In the immortal words of Herm Edwards......

And the Stokley criticism is not valid. Cruz came out of nowhere exceeding all expectations, not only of the Giants but of the entire NFL! Nobody drafted him and only the Giants offered him a camp invite, so maybe give them credit for that, no?

And look at it this way: if they had said, "we have this kid Cruz. He's raw and untested but we have a hunch he's going to be good" and they didn't bother getting a vet back up as a hedge, just in case Cruz didn't pan out....and then Cruz didn't pan out and we didn't have anybody to plug in, you would have been screaming that they put all their eggs in the basket of an untested kid and how fucking dumb can they be, they're idiots, yada, yada, yada.... In fact, we probably would have been treated to a barrage of those posts.

It continues to amaze me how much ridiculous crap gets thrown at the coaches here, usually for not being 100% perfect and for not being able to predict with absolute certainty what we're looking at in hindsight. Are they perfect? NO! Of course not! Are any coaches now or in the history of the world perfect? Same answer.

I just don't get when with the season down the tubes you don't try out the guy with upside. That makes zero sense to me.

Also for the record, Moore cracked the top-4 for defensive ends' highest QB pressures per snap last year, per Pro Football Focus. So yes, he was productive when he was actually allowed to play.

When the entire Seattle Seahawks team runs past Mathias Kiwanuka for record yardage, honestly, what do you have to lose?