SportsWrath

Through 16 games, Odell Beckham leads all receivers in NFL history

Mr. P

Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. isn’t just off to a great start in his NFL career. He’s off to the greatest start in NFL history.

Beckham played the 16th game of his career on Sunday, and through 16 games he has 115 catches for 1,612 yards. No player in NFL history has had those kinds of numbers in the first 16 games of his career.

The prior record for most catches in the first 16 games was set by then-Cardinals receiver Anquan Boldin, who had 101 catches in his first 16 games. And the prior record for most receiving yards in the first 16 games was set by Bill Groman of the 1960-61 Houston Oilers, who had 1,593 yards in his first 16 games.

The one receiving mark Beckham doesn’t have for the first 16 games of his career is touchdowns: Randy Moss caught 17 touchdowns in the first 16 games of his career. With 14 touchdown catches, Beckham is second to Moss on that count.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/05/through-16-games-odell-beckham-leads-all-receivers-in-nfl-history/

His one-handed catch (out of bounds) yesterday is another highlite reel moment. Can't believe there hasn't been a little more chatter about it. Maybe there is on ESPN, but I haven't been watching it. He's unreal. But this year he seems to be out of sync with Eli. I don't know if it's OBJ missing his route assignment or Eli going into dunce moment - but there have been more than a few completely obvious miscalculations between passer and receiver. Still - so, so glad OBJ is a Giant and not on some other team.

From Eli's reaction a few times yesterday, Odell ran the routes wrong, especially on those back shoulder throws. Those should be wide open for them on man coverage, because a DB has to respect Odell's speed and turn his back to the QB and run full out. A sudden stop and come back to the ball is damn near impossible to defend if it's timed up right.

While another competant WR on the other side will open things up more for OBJ, it will also take targets away from him. Regardless, he's quite an amazing WR thus far in his career. Staying healthy and productive should be the only two goals he strives for.

His one-handed catch (out of bounds) yesterday is another highlite reel moment. Can't believe there hasn't been a little more chatter about it. Maybe there is on ESPN, but I haven't been watching it. He's unreal. But this year he seems to be out of sync with Eli. I don't know if it's OBJ missing his route assignment or Eli going into dunce moment - but there have been more than a few completely obvious miscalculations between passer and receiver. Still - so, so glad OBJ is a Giant and not on some other team.

Yea because it was out of bounds.. but he's gotten the technique of one handed catches mastered...

Odell wants to press the ball downfield, Eli wants to dink and dunk back shoulder fades and comeback routes all game. Beckham was right on at least one that saw Eli barking at him. Late in the game in Bills territory Odell looked to press deep on a CB he had already beat with safety help taking a poor angle. A good decision and good throw by Eli meant touchdown. But Eli doesn't target the end zone in opponent's territory.

Odell wants to press the ball downfield, Eli wants to dink and dunk back shoulder fades and comeback routes all game. Beckham was right on at least one that saw Eli barking at him. Late in the game in Bills territory Odell looked to press deep on a CB he had already beat with safety help taking a poor angle. A good decision and good throw by Eli meant touchdown. But Eli doesn't target the end zone in opponent's territory.

What?

What?

Red zone offense is worst in the league. In this offense, the ball must be close as humanly possible to the end zone before we see one receiver targeted in the end zone. This offense is based around getting guys the ball in their hands and absolutely perfect execution, all the way down the field. Not taking shots when they should be is a huge reason they leave touchdowns on the field week in and week out.

Could it also have something to do with what defenses are doing? Every time I see our receivers going downfield, they're covered like blankets and that includes Odell.

Also, of Eli's 7 TD passes this season, 4 have been 30 yards or more, though one was the 51 yarder to Jennings yesterday, which I admit was more Jennings than Eli......but still, he's got TDs of 67, 41 and 30 yards this year.....and we're only four games in. I think he takes shots when it's appropriate. Thing with the back shoulder throws is, they are damn near unstoppable when properly timed. Odell has to learn how do it. It will make him that much more effective on the deep ball if the DB has to worry about the back shoulder.

I agree with Drizzle, it has been frustrating watching them refuse to take deep shots for long stretches. The offense is better than Gilbride's, and that much I like, but they have to improve in a couple of areas, I think 3rd down efficiency needs to be a lot better. We are at 39.7%, which is 15th in the league. Even the Browns are at 42.9%. The Bears at 44.1%. I think with Eli and the weapons he has, we need to get a lot closer to 50%, I'd like to see us north of that number. It will help when the 3rd down throws actually are to/past the line to gain.

New England leads the NFL in this category at 60% and Atlanta is the only other team higher than 50% at 54.1%

Could it also have something to do with what defenses are doing? Every time I see our receivers going downfield, they're covered like blankets and that includes Odell.

Also, of Eli's 7 TD passes this season, 4 have been 30 yards or more, though one was the 51 yarder to Jennings yesterday, which I admit was more Jennings than Eli......but still, he's got TDs of 67, 41 and 30 yards this year.....and we're only four games in. I think he takes shots when it's appropriate. Thing with the back shoulder throws is, they are damn near unstoppable when properly timed. Odell has to learn how do it. It will make him that much more effective on the deep ball if the DB has to worry about the back shoulder.

Aside from the beckham and Randle Washington receptions, the other 2 were both catch and runs...

I read that as Odell needs to stay with the play as it's timed instead of improvising....

I read that as Odell needs to stay with the play as it's timed instead of improvising....

I highly doubt that, it looks like it's a "if the CB is doing this, run this route," and "if he's doing this and doesn't have safety help, run this route."

As I said earlier, the playbook was simple last season and Odell and Eli shredded the entire league. But this season, they are trying a few different things with some more variations and even the defenses are adjusting to the phenom that ODB is. This offense is still settling. They do some great stuff, some inexplicable stuff, some maddening dink dunk crap and then some outright bone headed shit. They really need to get the WR core and their roles down pat! Reuben with him bum knee isn't helping. If you look at it, ODB is probably the only WR worth targeting for any defense. We have TEs who cant catch a cold in frigid weather. I think this team offense will settle down once we have a shoot-out and go back and forth instead of trying to not shit in the 4th qtr protecting leads and convert some key clutch long 3rd downs, no huddle quick movement down the field.

I highly doubt that, it looks like it's a "if the CB is doing this, run this route," and "if he's doing this and doesn't have safety help, run this route."

I don't think they do quite so much of that anymore.

I thought it looked like Beckham just took his route a little too far upfield.

I don't think they do quite so much of that anymore.

I thought it looked like Beckham just took his route a little too far upfield.

Could be. I thought it looked like Odell started down the field to beat the CB, saw the ball was in the air and tried to make the adjustment

Turns out, he's a prima donna and punches everybody.

Also sounds like he's good at getting into the opponents' heads.

The Buffalo Bills were called for 17 penalties on Sunday in a sloppy loss to the Giants, including an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty by linebacker Preston Brown for mixing it up with Odell Beckham.

Brown says he was only responding to an unwarranted punch from Beckham, while other Billsdefenders called Beckham a "prima donna" and a "golden boy," according to Tyler Dunne of the Buffalo News.

"I don't know what's up with him," Bills cornerback Stephon Gilmore said. "He acts like ... you're supposed to let him catch the ball. He's weird. He gets mad when you play physical with him. He's weird."

Gilmore said that Beckham didn't handle physical play very well. That showed up in his actions and his lack of production; Beckham was held to 38 yards.

"He's different," Gilmore said. "It's kind of like you're playing your little brother and he gets mad at you for being too physical with him -- throwing a tantrum. I'm like, 'Man, we're playing football. It's a physical game.' ... He's a prima donna. He feels like he's on top of the world and nobodys supposed to do anything to him."

Brown said he tried to play peacemaker after one play, and Beckham threw a punch at him. At that point, Brown retaliated and was penalized. Dunne writes that Beckham also punched safety Duke Williams later in the game. Williams didn't retaliate.

"A guy like that, you expect him to be a stand-up guy but I guess it is a part of his game," Williams said. "He likes to throw cheap shots here and there and gets away with it. I guess it's his thing. ... Right in front of the referee and he threw a jab at me and ran behind his teammates. He ran away. I'm just like, 'Wow. That's crazy.' "

Gilmore said that the world doesn't know "what type of player" Beckham really is, saying he's only "alright" as a receiver. (Chris Wesseling would disagree.)

"I don't really watch TV and listen to the hype. I study guys on the film and then I judge him," Gilmore said. "He's not Sammy Watkins. He has good hands, he can catch. He's good but he's not what people think after that one catch."

Buffalo is just being a bitch since they fell for whatever they were riled about - if that idiot wants to commit personal fouls and hurt the team because someone said something - then well, you are a fucking moron. They aren't able to tolerate the fact that even though Beckham didn't have an outstanding game against he was still able to fuck them up one way or another and are now being absolute bitches. Looks like they are really learning from Rex