SportsWrath

I dont mean to sound like a dick, but if theres anyone on here that could be one, its me. Ive been playing/been around baseball my entire life

In a simple twist of fate, so have I. I was even asked to play baseball for my

college, but 1. It's a conflict of interest with Golf and 2. Most of the players

think they are God's gift.

In a simple twist of fate, so have I. I was even asked to play baseball for my

college, but 1. It's a conflict of interest with Golf and 2. Most of the players

think they are God's gift.

Then you should know that he projects to be a number 3 starter in this league...good, but not great and certainly not worth the money or the hype.

Then you should know that he projects to be a number 3 starter in this league...good, but not great and certainly not worth the money or the hype.

Well, when you have guys like Gil Meche (11 million dollars) AJ Burnett (11 Million Dollars)

Carl Pavano (8 Million) Adam Eaton (8 Million) and guys like that making that much money.

Dice-K is relatively a bargain with his contract, not the posting to get him. The Mets bid 38

million dollars and they thought they were gonna win.

Well, when you have guys like Gil Meche (11 million dollars) AJ Burnett (11 Million Dollars)

Carl Pavano (8 Million) Adam Eaton (8 Million) and guys like that making that much money.

Dice-K is relatively a bargain with his contract, not the posting to get him. The Mets bid 38

million dollars and they thought they were gonna win.

you have to include the posting fee as part of his contract

If Dice-K was a Yankee, you'd be slobbering all over him right now.

You wouldn't take a complete game 6 hit 1 run game at this point? The Yankees are paying a pitcher 28 million to go 6 and give up 3 for a few months, while the Sox are investing in a player that has 5 years and has a very high ceiling.

Think of it this way. The Sox aren't even paying Dice-K two times more then the Yanks are paying Clemens for 26 more months of pitching + post-season ball.

And who is it who "projects" this? Trust me, the Sox didn't spend that much money on him because they thought he was a number three starter. Yeah, he's "#3" in their rotation, but that was only to keep the pressure off him and show respect for Schilling and Beckett. Aside from the Sox, the vast majority of baseball people will be very surprised of he's only a #3 starter 2 years from now.

Face it, you're worried he's the real deal and that's why you can't leave it alone. At the very least, it's silly to try and say after a month and a half of his Major League career whether he's the real deal or not. Anybody with enough smarts to be a major league scout should know that.

And who is it who "projects" this? Trust me, the Sox didn't spend that much money on him because they thought he was a number three starter. Yeah, he's "#3" in their rotation, but that was only to keep the pressure off him and show respect for Schilling and Beckett. Aside from the Sox, the vast majority of baseball people will be very surprised of he's only a #3 starter 2 years from now.

Face it, you're worried he's the real deal and that's why you can't leave it alone. At the very least, it's silly to try and say after a month and a half of his Major League career whether he's the real deal or not. Anybody with enough smarts to be a major league scout should know that.

Ive said this about him well before the sox won the bid for him so my red sox bias has nothing to do with my opinion of his ability. When its all said and done, he will be nothing more than a number 3 starter.

If Dice-K was a Yankee, you'd be slobbering all over him right now.

You wouldn't take a complete game 6 hit 1 run game at this point? The Yankees are paying a pitcher 28 million to go 6 and give up 3 for a few months, while the Sox are investing in a player that has 5 years and has a very high ceiling.

Think of it this way. The Sox aren't even paying Dice-K two times more then the Yanks are paying Clemens for 26 more months of pitching + post-season ball.

the sox are paying 57 million dollars for him this season

And how much after that? He's getting paid less then Gil Meche and Ted Lilly, and should amount to more then them.

Yes, but you were comparing him to Roger Clemens. And Meche and Lilly are both having MUCH better seasons than Matsuzaka and will contimue to

Yes, but you were comparing him to Roger Clemens. And Meche and Lilly are both having MUCH better seasons than Matsuzaka and will continue to

So you're a good enough baseball mind to judge Matsuzaka to be a flop after a month and Meche and Lilly to be the real deal? Well, the thing about Lilly is he has moved to that magical place where pitchers who struggle to stay below a 4 era can spread their wings and dominate hitters, the NL. Meche has played against a good selection of teams (Red Sox, Tigers), (Orioles, Angels), and (Athletics, White Sox) so we can't tell much about his opponents because he's faced the best of the best hitting teams and the worst of the worst. The same goes for Matsuzaka who has faced the top hitting Yankees (2) and Detroit, the mid-level Blue Jays (in terms of hitting at least), and the bottom feeding Mariners (2) and KC.

Here's a comparison of the three.

Meche has some good stuff and it was great that he got out of Seattle but as of now, other than ERA and IP, he has the lowest peripherals of the bunch. Lilly I'm not going to count just because he is in the NL, but how you think Gil Meche will outperform Daisuke Matsuzaka is beyond me. I'm considering going through the archives to see what other brilliant projections you have made.

Edit: Here's an ESPN article about the free agent SP signings.

Ive said this about him well before the sox won the bid for him so my red sox bias has nothing to do with my opinion of his ability. When its all said and done, he will be nothing more than a number 3 starter.

That's all well and good, but you said, "He projects to a #3 starter". Again, I want to know where these projections are coming from. You? I know you're a top-level Major League talent evaluator (after all, you told us yourself), but I'd like just a little larger sample size. Is there even one other source you can quote as projecting him as a #3? And I'm willing to bet you felt this way before the Sox signed him, but after they won his rights.

You're right, the only thing that matters is winning it all. The team that wins it all has bragging rights over everybody else for the next year. However, how do you figure that makes their league better? You're gonna take one series between two teams at the end of the year and use it as your basis for which league is better? Uh, okay. Hope you're not taking statistics in college. The Cards were probably the worst team to ever win a World Series. Anyway, I'll use the numerous interleague games played (the AL dominated) and the list of pitchers who struggle in the AL and suddenly find new life in the NL, and vice versa. I don't think there's much of a debate in baseball circles these days about which league is better.

I don't think you can fairly compare the two leagues. What is a better league, the one in which you can plop an overweight guy who has no position (Ortiz), or an ex-All Star who can no longer play his position everyday (Piazza), on the bench, while never having to make the tough decision to take out your starting pitcher in a tight game because his turn at bat is coming up, or the league that actually uses strategies and every player plays every aspect of the game.

Of course pitchers coming from the NL would struggle when moving to the AL and it's video game lineups, just as the AL always has a higher collective ERA than the NL.

Piazza and Frank Thomas couldn't play in the NL right now, and Ortiz might be pulled late in games in tight situations. Of course, in the AL, no one has to think.

I don't think you can fairly compare the two leagues. What is a better league, the one in which you can plop an overweight guy who has no position (Ortiz), or an ex-All Star who can no longer play his position everyday (Piazza), on the bench, while never having to make the tough decision to take out your starting pitcher in a tight game because his turn at bat is coming up, or the league that actually uses strategies and every player plays every aspect of the game.

Of course pitchers coming from the NL would struggle when moving to the AL and it's video game lineups, just as the AL always has a higher collective ERA than the NL.

Piazza and Frank Thomas couldn't play in the NL right now, and Ortiz might be pulled late in games in tight situations. Of course, in the AL, no one has to think.

Truthfully, I think you're probably right if you're talking this year, or maybe even the last two years (I'll give you that fluky win by the Cards). But there was a good 8-10 year stretch before that where it seemed like all of the talent, both pitching and hitting, was in the AL.

Truthfully, I think you're probably right if you're talking this year, or maybe even the last two years (I'll give you that fluky win by the Cards). But there was a good 8-10 year stretch before that where it seemed like all of the talent, both pitching and hitting, was in the AL.

Don't remind me of fluky wins by the Cards. :brooding: :brooding:

• 1 month later...

Midterm report card

By Jeff Passan, Yahoo! Sports

BEST SIGNINGS

1) Daisuke Matsuzaka, Boston, SP (6 years, $52 million plus $51.11 million posting fee): Over the last five weeks, he's got the game's sixth-best earned-run average and third-best strikeout ratio – and that includes a rough pre-break outing against Detroit. Matsuzaka is only getting better. And perhaps the best part for Boston: He's not pitching for the Yankees.

• 1 month later...

ok, with just a few weeks left in the season, is it safe to say that I was dead on about Matsuzaka?

Al League average ERA 4.51...Matsuzaka ERA 4.44. Id say a pitcher with an era just a fraction lower than the league average would be a 3 or a 4, in this case Ill give him a 3 given his strike outs. But like I said months ago, he will be nothing more than a number 3 starter in this league....expect him to get worse not better too. Japanese pitchers age faster than running backs and white women when they hit 30

ok, with just a few weeks left in the season, is it safe to say that I was dead on about Matsuzaka?

Al League average ERA 4.51...Matsuzaka ERA 4.44. Id say a pitcher with an era just a fraction lower than the league average would be a 3 or a 4, in this case Ill give him a 3 given his strike outs. But like I said months ago, he will be nothing more than a number 3 starter in this league....expect him to get worse not better too. Japanese pitchers age faster than running backs and white women when they hit 30

Gammons has nothing on you.

But like I said months ago, he will be nothing more than a number 3 starter in this league....expect him to get worse not better too.

You also said Phil Hughes was a future Cy Young Award winner, but based on your criteria for judging Daisuke, Hughes is a bust. Well, 50% isn't horrible, I guess.