SportsWrath

Chris Snee

Bigblue25

Besides it's not like the Giant's would of taken a guard instead of OBJ.

Heck I'm sure even if Snee retired at years end they still would of went with OBJ, Richberd and Bromely.

Yeah, in the 2nd round we drafted a guy who is competing at both center and guard.

Why Chris Snee's retirement was not a surprise for the Giants

EAST RUTHERFORD -- When the Giants reworked Chris Snee's contract in March, a text message arrived from an individual who specializes in NFL contracts.

After reviewing the Snee deal, he called the details "bizarre" and concluded that "reading the tea leaves, I bet he never plays again." He continued on about how it felt as if the Giants didn't expect their star right guard -- rehabbing an injured elbow -- to ever play again. It was his opinion based on the contract details.

Turns out, his instincts were correct. Snee, 32, will never play another down for the Giants, or any other NFL team for that matter. The four-time Pro Bowl guard officially retired on Monday when the rest of his Giants teammates reported for training camp.

It was a situation that had been unresolved since last year. A solution was finally reached over the weekend, when Snee informed his coach (and father-in-law) who passed it along to the owner and general manager just days before the start of camp.

"He wanted to wait until training camp to make the decision because he felt like he was making some progress [earlier in the year]," owner John Mara said. "Recently, I think he felt like he wasn't where he should have been."

It was hardly a surprise to the team. They had been bracing for this since last year, when Snee originally believed he was done. There were people in the Giants organization who, early in the offseason, didn't think he had a realistic shot of playing again, in spite of their public comments. Hence the details of the renegotiated contract:

Snee received a $1.075 million bonus for passing a physical at the start of the off-season workout program. That will be paid in installments throughout the season. It was an incentive for him to try to make a comeback rather than collect the injury protection money that was available. By cleverly structuring the deal, the Giants wouldn't take a big cap hit or eat much dead money if Snee ultimately retired.

Snee's retirement had been a topic of conversation for the past six to eight months, a person with knowledge of the situation told NJ.com. (The person, who had not been authorized to speak publicly about the situation, requested anonymity.) If Snee could get to 85 percent of his old self, that would be enough for him and the team. The elbow didn't cooperate.

"We had a suspicion that this might be occurring," Mara said. "But we were all hoping. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way."

The procedure performed in November was more involved than anyone, doctors included, anticipated. When the surgeon went to work, he realized there was almost no cartilage remaining in the elbow. A nerve needed to be relocated so Snee could have feeling in his hand.

"I knew it was coming, I just … everyone just kind of wants that [Michael] Strahan ending. That's wishful thinking," Snee said of finishing a career with a Super Bowl triumph. "I think it just got to the point where [my body's] had enough. The way I train and the way I get myself ready for a season is a lot.

"Strength has been such a large part of my game and something I take a lot of pride in. If I'm not able to do that, I can't play the game the way I know how."

Even after nine months of rehabilitation, the elbow couldn't have handled jamming pass rushers during OTAs and minicamp. Snee sat out the final minicamp because the elbow was hurting. It left the Giants realizing the end of his career was inching closer.

Snee talked specifically with general manager Jerry Reese several times over the past few months about his future. Retirement was always a realistic option. When minicamp ended in late June, Snee met with Reese again and told him he was "leaning toward" retirement. Still, they waited to see if the elbow miraculously healed in time for camp. It didn't. Snee's coach and family member seemed to know what was coming.

"I braced myself for it because it wasn't getting a whole lot better," said Coughlin, who had recently vacationed with Snee, his wife Kate and their three boys. "He wasn't able to do what he wanted to do."

Snee eventually informed Coughlin of his decision over the weekend in a face-to-face meeting at the Giants facility. He was hoping to catch Mara and Reese as well. They weren't in the building. Coughlin called them and delivered the news.

"It's a bittersweet day," Snee said Monday after breaking down in tears during his retirement announcement, "but one I really had no choice."

The choice was undoubtedly the right one. If his elbow was in pain after "non-contact" practices, what would it feel like after a game, nevertheless a season? What would it feel like five years from now?

"I knew he would do the right thing for him and us," Coughlin said. "And he did. He gave us the opportunity to go to camp at full strength. He could have dragged this on. But he's a man of honor and a guy of principle and he decided this was the right way. So he did it that way."

Whether you like the options or not, the Giants prepared properly for this likely outcome. They stockpiled possible replacements.

They signed a player (John Jerry) this offseason who has been an NFL starter at guard for most of the past four years. They drafted a lineman in the second round who can also play guard. They have young players (Brandon Mosley and Eric Herman) whom they feel have talent and potential at the position.

The Giants were ready for life post-Snee. It's just an existence they were hoping to defer for one more year.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/07/chris_snees_retirement_not_a_surprise_to_giants.html