SportsWrath

Tuck Retiring

Mr. P

From Tuck's Facebook:

After months of praying and careful consideration, I have decided to retire from the game of football. I've had 11 great years and honestly I leave with very few regrets.

I'm thankful to my family and close friends for their unwavering support. My beautiful wife and kids have dedicated their lives to being my closest support system and I'm eternally grateful.

I want to thank the New York Giants and the Oakland Raiders for giving me a place I could call home all of these years. The Mara, Tisch, and Davis families, I'm forever in your debt. To my coaches: thanks for having me ready at every stage - the Super Bowls, Pro Bowls, you name it – thank you for teaching me about professionalism, preparation, and the pursuit of perfection. To my teammates: thank you for always going to battle with me each and every gameday, but more importantly, thanks for being my brothers for life.

And lastly, the FANS. What an incredible environment you've created for me over the years to call a workplace. You all have been so supportive of me and my family, and without you I would have no game to play. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

This isn’t a good-bye, my family and I will continue our charitable work with Tuck’s R.U.S.H. for Literacy and we look forward to continuing to give back to communities that have given so much to us. God Bless.

2 time SB champ. Couple of Pro Bowls and All Pro nods. Only player to have multiple sacks in multiple Super Bowls. Class act, team-first player. The dude epitomizes everything the Giants stand for.

He had a good run on a good DL. Don't think it's a HOF career. Wish he'd have been a Giant his full career.

Both were really good players who were able to play that way most of their career and also be able to have the experience of lifting a Lombardi trophy, pretty rate in todays NFL when most players bust out in the first few years or have a pretty average career.

Both were really good players who were able to play that way most of their career and also be able to have the experience of lifting a Lombardi trophy, pretty rate in todays NFL when most players bust out in the first few years or have a pretty average career.

I'm not saying he won't get in...just saying that I wouldn't put him there. I tend to have higher standards for hall of fame than some others. On the field, the opponent should be planning around the HOF player on a consistent basis. The HOF player needs to be dependable and present on the field, which yes, I know has a lot to do with luck, but it also speaks to training regiments and diligence to the craft. And off the field, there should be some selfless endeavor made outside of simply writing a check to some cause that you don't know or care about. I think the HOF is about truly special people who made a difference. I don't think that it's merely a longevity, tenure-type of situation where you accumulate stats over 10 years and just walk in.

Oh I dont think either are Hall of Fame worthy, not by a long shot.

It's just not as common to see players in the NFL who go their entire career playing at a consistantly solid level of play and achieve the success that they did.

O'hara, Toomer, Tiki, etc.

All players who are good players who have played in the NFL, just not HoF worthy.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't begrudge them chasing money if that's what they want to do. I just think that whatever it is that makes them want to retire from their original team should've kept them there in the first place.

Football is like any other job. You work for a company for 10 years, they gave you your first position and served you well, but you moved on to a different company later in life and retire at 60 or 65. Are you going to go back and work 1 day at that first job so you can retire from them?

Just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't begrudge them chasing money if that's what they want to do. I just think that whatever it is that makes them want to retire from their original team should've kept them there in the first place.

Football is like any other job. You work for a company for 10 years, they gave you your first position and served you well, but you moved on to a different company later in life and retire at 60 or 65. Are you going to go back and work 1 day at that first job so you can retire from them?

Just doesn't make sense to me.

Football if anything has proven it's NOTHING like "any other job" in how it conducts it's business from top to bottom.

What a silly thing to say.