SportsWrath

Can the Mets overcome the Odds?

xxi-xxv

I do not think there is any reason the Mets cannot overcome all the odds as a 140 million dollar team and finish in last behind the Nats. I think we have all the key ingriedents. An aging, injury prone roster, a fractured clubhouse, disinterested superstars, an ace starter who looks more like a 85 mph nibbler and of course a barren farm system that has no chance to come up and win meaningless games down the stretch.

I think we can do it, I really do. What better way to close shea then in last place, where for all intents and purposes this team has spent most of its existence at Shea!

Rock on, lets make history as the new Worst Team Money Can But- New Mellenium edition!

The whole money situation gets thrown around too much. Yeah, a lot of money are invested in these players. But just because they get paid too much doesn't mean they'll be productive. Money means nothing when it comes to ball playing. A guy getting paid 300,000 could be better than the guy with 10 mil.

The whole money situation gets thrown around too much. Yeah, a lot of money are invested in these players. But just because they get paid too much doesn't mean they'll be productive. Money means nothing when it comes to ball playing. A guy getting paid 300,000 could be better than the guy with 10 mil.

You're right, but a guy making 10 millions is paid that well because he is supposed to play better than the guy making 300,000. I'm not dissing on the Mets, just sayin.

If the Mets had the heart of the Phils they would win 120 games - John heyman on WFAN 6/5/08

Uh, yeah! Why don't you and Teuf get a room? The Board saying we should play nice doesn't mean we should smooch. :LMAO:

BTW, what ever happened to that phenom the Mets kept out of the trade for Santana? I think his name is Martinez. The kid had a great glove from what I saw in spring training, and can be brought up to give Beltran a rest once in awhile.

Uh, yeah! Why don't you and Teuf get a room? The Board saying we should play nice doesn't mean we should smooch. :LMAO:

BTW, what ever happened to that phenom the Mets kept out of the trade for Santana? I think his name is Martinez. The kid had a great glove from what I saw in spring training, and can be brought up to give Beltran a rest once in awhile.

Fernando Martinez is currently on the AA Binghamton squad who is on the DL because of hamstring problems, just like what Reyes had early on in his career. He had a great spring training and had a horrendous start to the AA year. I bet he was upset being sent to AA but he turned it around and he average rose to .280 before getting injured. He still has a few more years. He is only 20 and maybe next year, maybe cracking the majors or the next. We'll see how his development goes when he comes back from injury, which should be soon.

Sometimes I wonder if you do not simply read things, or maybe you are a tad slow. At any rate I ask you. WHAT THE FUCK DOES WHAT JON HEYMAN OF SI.COM SAYS ON WFAN RADIO HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH MYSELF OR TEUF. I could care less about the Phils, I am merely pointing out what this baseball expert says, one who also doubles as an SNY studio guest talking all things baseball.

I did not say it fucknuts, Heyman did. Quite frankly he is probably right.

GG is right. Teams with a great offense and mediocre starting pitching can sustain through 162 as they can bludgeon teams to death, but ultimately in the end good teams with good pitching(what you see in the playoffs)will beat good teams with less pitching. The Phils will run away with the NL east, probably win by as many as 10-15 game, but at the end of the day will struggle against the teams that have superior starting pitching.

Unless of course they make a deal for CC Safathia. :mellow:

BTW Met fans, anyone calling it yet? Its hard with the WC and all, but i can safely concede the division to the Phils at this point.

Like a certain someone said in February, teams historically do not do what the Mets did in 2007 and come back from it easily, despite how talented(in this teams case on paper)the appear to be. It almost would be easier to have an off year where everyone gets hurt, has bad years etc and then come back the next year as opposed to what the 2007 Mets did. Time to clean house

there's no way we clean house. id like to but i just dont see it happening

Delgado=Gone

Castillo=Hopefully gone, release and pay him for all I care

Alou= gone

Beltran=possibly gone, highly doubtful

Perez=gone

Heilman=gone

Schoenweis= gone, someone could use him and might overpay

Easley=gone

El Duque= gone

Pedro=gone

Anderson=gone

Chavez=gone

Of my gones I can realistically see 8-9 comig to fruition. That IMO is cleaning house enough.

Delgado=Gone

Castillo=Hopefully gone, release and pay him for all I care

Alou= gone

Beltran=possibly gone, highly doubtful

Perez=gone

Heilman=gone

Schoenweis= gone, someone could use him and might overpay

Easley=gone

El Duque= gone

Pedro=gone

Anderson=gone

Chavez=gone

Of my gones I can realistically see 8-9 comig to fruition. That IMO is cleaning house enough.

are you talking about within the next 4 months or when the 09 season starts?

both, thus solidifying my position of cleaning house.

if it does happen i dont think itll be during the season. omar and willie are gonna try and ride these guys out seeing they are the only ones that could save their jobs.

prediction: mets will go on a run before the all star break - too many good hitters on this team to stay down. they won't do any wholesale dismantling in mid season if they are within 10 games of first.

prediction: mets will go on a run before the all star break - too many good hitters on this team to stay down. they won't do any wholesale dismantling in mid season if they are within 10 games of first.

good teams dont get swept by the pads the way we just did. average teams don't get swept by the pads the way we just did

good teams dont get swept by the pads the way we just did. average teams don't get swept by the pads the way we just did

i never said they were good and case in poinr: the giants swept the dbacks.

you don't think the mets could run off say 20 of the next 30?

No but they could easily lose 20 of the next 30. Take a look at the upcoming schedule, it can easily happen.

well that should make you guys happy- because then they would have a fire sale.

No way! I want to go to the World Series, I want to knock off all the nay sayers.

A firesale probably would happen. There are players who are not living up to expectations who were brought here with high expectations. I am sure there are a lot of teams that would love Beltran, especially that arm. We can at least stock the farm system. He has not been a disaster in New York but we all know it has not worked out for him and the organization. Send him back to the AL.

nah i really don't. i think we can put together a good 2 week stretch but one month seems impossible at this point.

And you will get swept in the playoffs again.

Brilliant come back. Take you long to come up with that one?

If you take off the :furious: at my team glasses, you will notice that my post was not about bragging that we are going all the way, or that we will even continue at this pace.

I was merely pointing out that while our pitchers have been ripped apart for being mediocre at best, we seem to be doing pretty well...even to the surprise of many sports writers here in Philly.