SportsWrath

Best all around players you have seen?

xxi-xxv

Last night at a barbecue here at my house a spirited debate erupted amongst the men of many ages about Barry Bonds. After a while it went in the direction of best all around players one has even seen. The consensus among the over 50 crowd was that Willie Mays was the best, some said Mickey Mantle. The over 70 crowd seemed to go the same route, although my one great uncle said in was Ted Williams. With all this controversy about Bonds, I cannot help but thinking that in his prime he is the best all around player I have ever seen(never seeing the above mentioned of course)

if you had to make a list of the best all around players you have seen who would they be? For me its Bonds, but here are some other notables.

Griffey- pre Cincy days was a beast

Arod-might wind up #1 someday

Dave Winfield- man had every tool imagineable

Darryl Strawberry- this choice might be a bit bias, but anyone that saw him in the mid 80's remembers how great he was and probably would have been had he not ruined himself. He could do it all.

Cal Ripken

Rickey Henderson-although the late career henderson was a defensive liability he was always a good LFer in his prime and his offensive prowess spoke for itself.

I was just thinking about how great Griffey was the other day. The sweetest swing and an phnenominal fielder. He's probly number 1 on my list, but Bonds is close.

This may be an odd homer vote, but what about Ivan Rodrizuez? No one matched him behind the plater and he had power and hit over 300 consistantly.

Last night at a barbecue here at my house a spirited debate erupted amongst the men of many ages about Barry Bonds. After a while it went in the direction of best all around players one has even seen. The consensus among the over 50 crowd was that Willie Mays was the best, some said Mickey Mantle. The over 70 crowd seemed to go the same route, although my one great uncle said in was Ted Williams. With all this controversy about Bonds, I cannot help but thinking that in his prime he is the best all around player I have ever seen(never seeing the above mentioned of course)

if you had to make a list of the best all around players you have seen who would they be? For me its Bonds, but here are some other notables.

Griffey- pre Cincy days was a beast

Arod-might wind up #1 someday

Dave Winfield- man had every tool imagineable

Darryl Strawberry- this choice might be a bit bias, but anyone that saw him in the mid 80's remembers how great he was and probably would have been had he not ruined himself. He could do it all.

Cal Ripken

Rickey Henderson-although the late career henderson was a defensive liability he was always a good LFer in his prime and his offensive prowess spoke for itself.

I'd have to agree with you on Bonds being the best player

I've ever seen and A-Rod is coming very close.

Chipper Jones too, motherfucker kills us.

Pooholes too.

the more i see ichiro, the more impressed i am. talk about 5 tools. i don't think we've seen his power yet. when he slows down a step, he'll start hitting for power and he'll hit 25-30 homers a year.

is he still a dodger fan? most bklyn dodger fans disowned the team when they moved while more giants fans stayed loyal.

Nah, he is a Mets fan now.

I'll leave you with an old joke he told me.

"If I am ever in the room with Stalin, Hitler and Walter O'Malley with a gun

and two bullets, I'm shooting O`Malley twice."

I guess because the Dodgers didn't have to leave, Robert Moses wouldn't

let them build a new stadium on the Atlantic rail yards.

that's true- plus they had excellent attendance. while the giants didn't.

they asked horace stoneham who owned the giants 'what are you going to tell the kids?' he said 'i'll tell 'em their daddies shoulda taken em to more games.' (something like that)

that's true- plus they had excellent attendance. while the giants didn't.

they asked horace stoneham who owned the giants 'what are you going to tell the kids?' he said 'i'll tell 'em their daddies shoulda taken em to more games.' (something like that)

Yeah, plus the Polo Grounds was a real dump and O'Malley needed

another team to go west with him. Helped the Giants weren't exactly

a good team then either.

P.S. My grandfather still hates your team and Bobby Thompson. :P

years before his steroid days i spent many lunch periods arguing with most of my fans that bonds was a) better than griffey and b) best player in baseball. i was a big strato fan and bonds' cards always blew griffey's cards away :)

I was just thinking about how great Griffey was the other day. The sweetest swing and an phnenominal fielder. He's probly number 1 on my list, but Bonds is close.

This may be an odd homer vote, but what about Ivan Rodrizuez? No one matched him behind the plater and he had power and hit over 300 consistantly.

Best all around catcher no doubt, but player. Nah I have to say your homerism is getting you on that one. The best all around catcher though of the last 20 years and quite possibly the last 50.

It's funny the old Yankee fans say Mickey and the old Giants fans say Willie and the old Dodgers fans say Duke. The one thing that it seems the Yankee and Giants fans agree on is that its not Duke, its either Willie or Mickey.

Nah, he is a Mets fan now.

I'll leave you with an old joke he told me.

"If I am ever in the room with Stalin, Hitler and Walter O'Malley with a gun

and two bullets, I'm shooting O`Malley twice."

I guess because the Dodgers didn't have to leave, Robert Moses wouldn't

let them build a new stadium on the Atlantic rail yards.

Hmmm... I just heard that "joke" in the current HBO special about the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Robert Moses seemed like a real prick, but O'Malley also had his own vision and wouldn't settle for anything less than what he wanted. Can't say I blame him, he was the owner.

Griffey Jr. is the best player I have ever seen. Mackey Sasser is a close second.

Hmmm... I just heard that "joke" in the current HBO special about the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Robert Moses seemed like a real prick, but O'Malley also had his own vision and wouldn't settle for anything less than what he wanted. Can't say I blame him, he was the owner.

Griffey Jr. is the best player I have ever seen. Mackey Sasser is a close second.

omg, i was going to say mackey sasser but i switched last minute to ichiro.

That's been a running joke since the Dodgers left Flatbush.

omg, i was going to say mackey sasser but i switched last minute to ichiro.

I did the same with Griffey.

Ichiro is amazing. How the hell does he hit that way? He looks like he does everything wrong.

Vlad Guerrero is another one. He can hit ANY pitch.

I did the same with Griffey.

Ichiro is amazing. How the hell does he hit that way? He looks like he does everything wrong.

Vlad Guerrero is another one. He can hit ANY pitch.

"from his nose to his toes"