SportsWrath

The "Rocket" controversy

JMFP

I was reading on the Giants Message Board about this whole "rocket" controversy.

I also heard Francessa was going on about it, but I didn't hear what he said.

Anyway, from what I understand, on the Eli Pick-6, he shouted "Rocket", which is a terminology for WR screen when the defense is showing blitz.

Cofield knows the terminology, which wasn't changed from last year, and tipped off Kerrigan, who didn't bite on McKenzie's cut block, which is why the play exploded.

Again.....not confirming any of this, just mentioning I read about it on the GMB.

A similar story here....

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/09/giants_vs_redskins_barry_cofie.html

After watching the TV broadcast of Ryan Kerrigan’s game-winning interception return for a touchdown, something tells me Kerrigan knew what was coming. And that something is a look (and maybe a word or two) from Cofield after Eli Manning called an audible at the line.

Manning sees the Redskins’ seven-man blitz coming, so he walks forward and yells something to his lineman. (It was either “Block it!” or “Rocket!” Tough to tell.) The ‘Skins defenders trade knowing looks, linebacker Rocky McIntosh tells cornerback DeAngelo Hall to move forward on Hakeem Nicks because the quick throw is coming and Cofield looks right at Kerrigan and S Oshiomogho Atogwe, who were over Kareem McKenzie.

McKenzie said most times defenders protect themselves when blockers are lunging at their legs or — worse — higher. I think we know why Kerrigan didn’t: He knew what was coming. And I think Atogwe did, too, because he ran with his head down and then suddenly jumped up to bat down a pass he couldn't have seen coming, on account of his eyes being down.

The Giants are 0-1. And it looks like insider trading is the reason why.

The obvious question:

Did our offense go into this season with the same terminology as last season?

Given the defection of Cofield and Smith to division rivals, this would be a depressing revelation, if true.

The obvious question:

Did our offense go into this season with the same terminology as last season?

Given the defection of Cofield and Smith to division rivals, this would be a depressing revelation, if true.

Same mistakes from last year.. so yea.. :angry:

If we're this disorganized now, how much worse would it have been if they had changed the terminology in the shortened off-season?

I would be surprised if any team did that this year.

Yeah I agree, with all the stuff that needs to be worked on in a short off season, changing terminology doesnt seem high on priority.

You guys are missing the main problem

You dont call and out pattern on your own 5 yd line

can you please tell what team besides this one has done that pop warner and above?????

Eli is a moron......when he saw Hall was crowding Nicks he should have quickly addibled the stop and go......not thrown the ball where he did

Who does he think he is Tony Romo, or Kerry Collins????? :rolleyes:

Yeah I agree, with all the stuff that needs to be worked on in a short off season, changing terminology doesnt seem high on priority.

We're not talking changing the play book here.. instead of "Rocket" call it "Ham Sandwich" done.

You guys are missing the main problem

You dont call and out pattern on your own 5 yd line

can you please tell what team besides this one has done that pop warner and above?????

Eli is a moron......when he saw Hall was crowding Nicks he should have quickly addibled the stop and go......not thrown the ball where he did

Who does he think he is Tony Romo, or Kerry Collins????? :rolleyes:

I guess Gilbride believes the best way to beat press coverage, is to throw WR screens. Eli is to much of a pussy to second guess a call, and make his own call.

We're not talking changing the play book here.. instead of "Rocket" call it "Ham Sandwich" done.

So how many "Rocket" or such calls are in the Giants' terminology. Rocket was an audible call from what Im understanding, so they change all their audible calls? Eli has been yelling 'Omaha" for years to tell the oline the snap is on. I think they could be more creative with some things, but changing terminology this off season would have only added to the confusion the offense showed. Maybe it's something they can gradually work on throughout the year, but they cant just change the terminology because the skins have our old DT.

Whether they knew it was coming or not, McKenzie totally wiffed on that "block". It was a pathetic play.

Exactly. As I've posted in many other threads; if you don't execute then you lose. As Belichick likes to tell his players "do your job". Even if Cofield hadn't said anything a low block while the QB looks to your side is a sure sign of a quick out throw. He would have known that regardless and put his hands up. Bad idea to begin with made worse by poor play on the field.

If this offense can't handle a single word change (e.g., "we are going to change from "Rocket" to "Jockitch").....damn, those are some dim fucking bulbs.

Well if post game interviews of most athletes are any indication; Mensa candidates they are not.

Pretty sure about half these guys sign their contracts in Crayola.

This is not what happened -- Rock McIntosh called the defensive adjustment, Cofield barely moved, and the Giants already ran the play about a dozen times when the skins were showing a max blitz.

Full breakdown of the play here

http://gmenhq.com/2011/09/14/a-closer-look-at-eli-mannings-week-1-pick-6/

This is not what happened -- Rock McIntosh called the defensive adjustment, Cofield barely moved, and the Giants already ran the play about a dozen times when the skins were showing a max blitz.

Full breakdown of the play here

http://gmenhq.com/2011/09/14/a-closer-look-at-eli-mannings-week-1-pick-6/

Welcome new member. I hope you are here to be a contributor and not just to promote your site. We have a great community here. We are all very passionate about the Giants here and I hope you enjoy the discussion here.

Welcome new member. I hope you are here to be a contributor and not just to promote your site. We have a great community here. We are all very passionate about the Giants here and I hope you enjoy the discussion here.

Yeah, I have a feeling I'm going to regret this.