SportsWrath

RIP Mel Stottelmyre

fringe

I saw he and Lyle combine to two hit Martin's Tigers in the second game of a double header at the Old Stadium at the ass end of his career in 72 against Lolich.

People remember him as a coach but I just looked at his wiki....he was a HELL of a pitcher....20 wins (18 of which were complete games)....four 20 win seasons on some HORRIBLE Yankee teams....

But this one jumped off the page.....40 complete game shut outs....that was probably the only way he would win a game with the yankees after 67".

C. Wagon

He was a stud. You'll never see those numbers again. Pitch count maintenance was " put some ice on it"

Juan Marichal-Warren Spahn had a 16 inning scoreless duel in '63 Mays homered in the bottom of the 16th-

Pitch count- Marichal 227 Spahn- 201 -oh by the way, Spahn was 42 at the time.

He was a stud. You'll never see those numbers again. Pitch count maintenance was " put some ice on it"

Juan Marichal-Warren Spahn had a 16 inning scoreless duel in '63 Mays homered in the bottom of the 16th-

Pitch count- Marichal 227 Spahn- 201 -oh by the way, Spahn was 42 at the time.

I get the mound was 6 inches higher, more day games, and you could pitch inside back then giving the Pitchers a bit of an edge.......but running your ace like that now gets you fired.

I would love to have a time machine if for nothing else but to bring some of those dudes back to pitch against all the robot batters using the same stance and video engineered upcut swings.....with their body armour we have today.

The stepping out of the box and doing the stations of the cross shit after every pitch would not be a thing after Gibson throws a fastball through the neck of the first guy that does it.

God...I'm turning into "off my lawn guy" fast.

C. Wagon