SportsWrath

'Davis Webb is a starter in this league no doubt' | Will Giants live to regret?

Nas

https://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2018/10/jets_star_jamal_adams_davis_webb_is_a_starter_in_t.html#incart_river_index

By Ryan Dunleavy

rdunleavy@njadvancemedia.com

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Sam Darnold isn't the only young quarterback impressing Jets star Jamal Adams in practice.

Adams raved about Jets practice squad quarterback Davis Webb on WFAN's Carlin, Maggie and Bart afternoon radio program.

"Davis Webb is a starter in this league no doubt," Adams said. "He has the intangibles, he has the work ethic to be a starter one day."

That evaluation from one of the NFL's top safeties is interesting considering the Giants released Webb on Sept. 2 when rosters were trimmed from 90 to 53 players. Once considered Eli Manning's likely successor, Webb wound up across the state after clearing waivers.

colts-raiders-football-ab7e5210399483a5j

Webb was praised by teammates with the Giants for many of the same characteristics, including his preparation and commitment to practically living at the training facility.

The new regime of general manager manager Dave Gettleman and coach Pat Shurmur decided to go with rookie fourth-round pick Kyle Lauletta over Webb, who was picked in the third round in 2017 by their predecessors.

Journeyman Alex Tanney is Manning's primary backup while Lauletta has been inactive for all games as the third-stringer. Tanney was fourth up in practice reps during the offseason.

Webb never took a regular-season snap with the Giants but was the No. 2 quarterback on the unofficial depth chart during every camp this offseason.

Because he is on a practice squad, Webb can be signed to the 53-man roster of any NFL team without compensation. The Jets are paying Webb his full salary as a former third-round pick, sources told NJ Advance Media.

If Webb is going to start, it won't be with the Jets, so maybe Adams blew their cover.

Webb is behind Darnold, who a rookie who was the No. 3 overall pick in the draft and is considered the future of the franchise, and 17-year veteran Josh McCown. McCown is a free agent after the season, so Webb could ascend to the No. 2 spot next season.

Meanwhile, the Giants are 1-7 and Manning's days as the starter could be coming to an end.

But the rush to put Lauletta in the game -- possibly as soon as Week 10 against the 49ers, after the bye week -- could be stalled due to the rookie's arrest on charges of eluding police, obstructing justice and resisting arrest after nearly running down a police officer in Weehawken Tuesday morning.

Lauletta was also hit with multiple motor vehicle violations, police said.

Week 9 of the NFL and he still hasnt been signed onto an active roster despite some of the dogshit QB play this year.

Shocking!

Thats not a measure... isnt it funny our QBs behind Eli is some guy and some other guy?

Yeah bro. Hes been on the taxi squad and still hasnt gotten a shot to the show.

I think it might be time to say that he isnt very good

I will conclude that once the man gets a shot... so far we have a brilliant college career and two pre-season halves in which one was bad and one was brilliant.

I think Webb has starter potential in the league in the same way Brock Osweiler has it. Not as stud but could be a competent NFL starter.

I think Kyle Lauletta is Tim Hasselbeck. Maybe a bit more accurate but never going to be a competent NFL starter.

Brock Osweiler is not a competent NFL starter.

What the hell?!

It's weird how some QBs have it so lucky.

I mean this guy replaces Big Bro Manning for a good handful of games, Peyton comes back to win the SB.

Houston pays this guy like he's Joe Montana lol

Point is this guy (Webb) was never afforded a chance to show whether hes Aaron Rodgers or Dave Brown and thats what got under my skin about the FO wasting a 3rd round pick that could have been used on a more pressing need like DB or Safety or any on the many holes this team has when they already had a young qb on the roster.... Someone should maybe convince me why they think Lauleta is clearly the better option here... I have nothing against Lauletta but you dont select projects when half of your starters suck donkey balls...

We will never know what could have been with any other QB the past year because the fans talked John Mara into not moving on from Manning. Really, the fans prevented this franchise from rebuilding because they should have been nabbing QBs with potential since 2013.

We will never know what could have been with any other QB the past year because the fans talked John Mara into not moving on from Manning. Really, the fans prevented this franchise from rebuilding because they should have been nabbing QBs with potential since 2013.

Fans on this very discussion board went ape shit when the Giants took Ryan Nassib with a 4th round pick, Davis Webb with a 3rd rounder and now Alex Tanney with a 4th rounder.

Im honestly not sure what youre talking about. The Giants signed Manning to a 4 year extension after 2014.

Which QB would you have selected 19th in 2013 when the Giants picked Pugh?

Which QB would you have selected when they drafted OBJ 12th?

Its revisionist history.

Also, dont give me that crap that its the fans fault since 2013. Right after that awful season, they cleaned house on the offensive side of the ball and brought in Big Mac with all of his west coast guys.

The results in 2014 and 2015 were the best in Mannings career. In 2015 the guy lead the Giants down the field to score in 5 games and then the defense promptly shat the bed in the last two minutes of all those games.

Panthers, Patriots, Saints, Jets, Falcons the defense all failed.

Does Eli Manning share some of the blame? Yes, no question. Does he share ALL of the blame? No, he doesnt.

This orignization failed him. They got fooled by the 2011 team that had an aging offense and defensive lines that got hot at the right time. Eli Manning played out of his ass that year and pulled a Super Bowl out of it.

An absolute organizational failure they failed to realize the offense line was an aging mess. David Wilson and Rueben Randle should NOT have been the first two picks in that draft.

The Giants have been chasing one more run with Eli and they re-tooled but just in the places that didnt benefit a pocket passer. Reaching for guys like Pugh, Flowers and Engram doesnt help. Absolute disaster picks especially when guys like Kyle Long and Andrus Peat are pretty good players taken 1 pick and 3 picks after Pugh and Flowers.

Reese was years behind in re-tooling this offensive line and that shit should have been done starting in 2009-2010 when the writing was on the wall that those guys were getting older and more injuried.

Also, dont give me that crap that its the fans fault since 2013. Right after that awful season, they cleaned house on the offensive side of the ball and brought in Big Mac with all of his west coast guys.

The results in 2014 and 2015 were the best in Mannings career. In 2015 the guy lead the Giants down the field to score in 5 games and then the defense promptly shat the bed in the last two minutes of all those games.

Panthers, Patriots, Saints, Jets, Falcons the defense all failed.

Does Eli Manning share some of the blame? Yes, no question. Does he share ALL of the blame? No, he doesnt.

This orignization failed him. They got fooled by the 2011 team that had an aging offense and defensive lines that got hot at the right time. Eli Manning played out of his ass that year and pulled a Super Bowl out of it.

An absolute organizational failure they failed to realize the offense line was an aging mess. David Wilson and Rueben Randle should NOT have been the first two picks in that draft.

The Giants have been chasing one more run with Eli and they re-tooled but just in the places that didnt benefit a pocket passer. Reaching for guys like Pugh, Flowers and Engram doesnt help. Absolute disaster picks especially when guys like Kyle Long and Andrus Peat are pretty good players taken 1 pick and 3 picks after Pugh and Flowers.

Reese was years behind in re-tooling this offensive line and that shit should have been done starting in 2009-2010 when the writing was on the wall that those guys were getting older and more injuried.

In my assessment, 2014 - 2015, we were dealing with the effects of a bad defense (combination of not filling it via the draft and free agency), then in 2016 - present, dealing with the effects of a horrendous offensive line, one which JR somewhat tried to draft for (and failed) but was never willing to sign top tier free agents. Gettlemen gets in and brings in a few new free agents, including a major investment in Solder, plus a high 2nd rounder in Hernandez, and the results simply haven't panned out. Solder may not be worth $15+mm per year, but no-one expected him to be this bad; you figure you at least expect an average starter on the line, not a complete fuck up and liability.

We are now dealing with the long term effects not being able to put together a coherent offensive line. I get the argument that if Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson etc were QB, things wouldn't be that bad, but I think at best we'd be a 6-7 win team, so QB isn't the core of the issue in my estimation.

Thats fine. I also believe the uproar was because of Geno Smith starting. Fans are smart, we would have been okay with Webb getting some burn

Yes, Geno Smith was what made benching Eli so bad... as New York fans we all saw what he did as a starter for the Jets, and we knew he was not the answer... at least if they threw Webb in he was/is an unknown