SportsWrath

newest mcshay mock

Herc

I'm not counting on Cruz, either but I do think Randle is finally getting it and can be enough of a threat to take some heat off Odell. Also think between Free Agency and a mid/lower round pick, we'll add to the receiving corps.

But the best way to keep defenses from keying on Odell too much is to be able to run the ball! If Scherff is the monster road grader Guard I've been reading he is, I have no problem picking him 1st round.

I have Cooper to the Giants and I agree with the posters that say a guard is too high at 9. We can get get Marpet or Kouandjio in round three and I don't think either one are that far away from Scherff. Scherff strained his hammy doing drills at the combine, so maybe he is the perfect Giants pick

I just don't see us going for a WR #1 again this year. OL, DE or LB is my guess. Our two biggest deficiencies last year were our inability to run the ball and inability to stop the opposition run. I think we address one of those issues with our first pick. That said, we all put too much emphasis on the first round pick and your point that Guards are available in later rounds is well taken....but of course, that's true of WRs, too.

But just to go back and argue for Scherff at 9 a little more, OLs taken high are historically safer, lower risk picks. They have a much higher success rate - measured by quality and longevity of NFL career - than any other position. In other words, let's grab our next Snee.

I agree with some posters here who cite our need for a Safety, too....but that position carries a little more hit & miss, higher bust or at least failing to live up to expectations potential. I'd be nervous drafting a safety 9 overall.

I don't see us going WR in round 1 either, but I also don't see the issue with tackling the problems on this team through free agency AND the draft. There are a number of high quality OL that'll be available when the FA period opens. As I was saying before, if we don't make ANY OL moves in free agency and Scherff is on the board at 9 then we need to take him, but not attacking the OL problem asap would be beyond asinine.

My thought process for taking a WR early has to do with Beckham's health more than anything. You already see teams taking shots at him and outside of OBJ we have no other real receiving threats. Cruz is hurt and may never be the same because his injury directly effects his greatest weapon. Randle and Parker are inconsistent. Corey Washington only sees the field in obvious "Fade Route" situations, and Ogletree couldn't cut it in a Pass-Happy Dallas O across from Dez Bryant. If Beckham goes down, what exactly do we have left?

I don't see us going WR in round 1 either, but I also don't see the issue with tackling the problems on this team through free agency AND the draft. There are a number of high quality OL that'll be available when the FA period opens. As I was saying before, if we don't make ANY OL moves in free agency and Scherff is on the board at 9 then we need to take him, but not attacking the OL problem asap would be beyond asinine.

My thought process for taking a WR early has to do with Beckham's health more than anything. You already see teams taking shots at him and outside of OBJ we have no other real receiving threats. Cruz is hurt and may never be the same because his injury directly effects his greatest weapon. Randle and Parker are inconsistent. Corey Washington only sees the field in obvious "Fade Route" situations, and Ogletree couldn't cut it in a Pass-Happy Dallas O across from Dez Bryant. If Beckham goes down, what exactly do we have left?

Yeah even though I'm discussing the wide receivers in this class, I'm not necessarily advocating for one in any of the first 3 picks. Personally, I don't see the emergency situation in grabbing a wide receiver. No, I'm not counting on Cruz coming back and being the same. But I have a little bit more faith in Randle now than I did at the beginning of last season. He did have 290 yards receiving in the last 2 games, and finished a touch under 1000 for the season. I still think there is room for improvement, but it would seem as the attention shifted to ODB, RR was capitalizing. And while these guys are unproven, I wouldn't mind the Giants taking a chance and getting Corey Washington more reps, and don't forget about Marcus Harris, either, the Giants like him. We could bring in a blue chip receiver to play opposite ODB, but the fact is that ODB was getting a ton of attention last year anyway and was STILL dominating. Plus, NOT getting a wide receiver in the draft doesn't preclude the Giants from addressing the position in free agency.

All I really want is the Giants to get a GREAT player in the first round (not necessarily at #9). The best player available. Whether it be Scherff, Randy Gregory, Kevin White, Amari Cooper, La'el Collins, Ereck Flowers, or whoever. I'd like to see an impact player. I'm jealous of the offensive line of Dallas, though, and if it was a guy that could elevate our O-line to another level, I'd be ecstatic.

Right now I'm leaning d-line in round 1. My favorite is the kid from usc but he will be gone. I like fowler for us at 9.

By like always I'm happy with whoever they draft. I view the draft like free extras.

If we just flat out don't make any OL moves in free agency and Scherff is on the board at 9, then we take him. I just have no idea why we'd pass up on potentially landing Iupati who's a proven Top quality Guard and only 27. My thoughts on drafting a WR have to do with cost. Everyone, writers and fans alike, seem to be ignoring the 2 elephants in the room when it comes to our WR Corps. Cruz is NOT going to be 2011 Cruz coming off that injury, and Randle is about as reliable as a weather forcast in NJ. Outside of OBJ who scares defenses? And who steps up if God Forbid he gets hurt? Draft a WR high in a WR-Deep draft (meaning between rounds 1 and 3... not some 7th round project with blazing speed and no hands) and you have inexpensive insurance for OBJ's health and a new toy for an aging Eli.

The fact this draft is deep in WRs is the reason I don't want a WR in the 1st pick. I expect the Giants to go after one of the solid OLs in FA... and sign him and I sure expect them to address the OL in round 1 or 2... and depending on which way they go, the other pick would have to go to the defense.. namely the DE or LB spots.

I made the mistake of posting in the NFL section, which nobody really looks at, about Jameis not being the #1 pick this year. I have a certain degree of conviction on my thoughts. I think it's going to be Mariota or Leonard Williams. And with the rumors about the Eagles willing to do whatever it takes to get Mariota, that makes him even more valuable. Personally, I don't want Chip Kelly to trade a bunch of draft picks for Mariota. I have a feeling he's going to be a very good franchise QB in the NFL. Unless it's a trade with us where we profit, and then I'd rather trade out of #9 (should he be there), to a DIFFERENT team that theoretically covets him (Cleveland, Houston, Arizona?). But those scenarios aren't very likely to play out.

This year is a tough one. I'm starting to do some study, and I've looked at some OL and WR, haven't really gotten into defensive players yet. Kevin White I think I have a bit higher than Cooper, but it's really, really close, and I think both are going to be excellent players. A guy who I think is better than his current projection is Sammie Coates from Auburn. He's big, strong, and fast. Not quite as quick as a Cooper, but is more physical. And I think he could be as good a receiver as there is in the draft, and there's a small chance we could get him in the 2nd. Cooper is a fine player, I think Coates would be a better compliment to ODB, though.

Jamies strikes me as a bust waiting to happen.

I just don't see us going for a WR #1 again this year. OL, DE or LB is my guess. Our two biggest deficiencies last year were our inability to run the ball and inability to stop the opposition run. I think we address one of those issues with our first pick. That said, we all put too much emphasis on the first round pick and your point that Guards are available in later rounds is well taken....but of course, that's true of WRs, too.

But just to go back and argue for Scherff at 9 a little more, OLs taken high are historically safer, lower risk picks. They have a much higher success rate - measured by quality and longevity of NFL career - than any other position. In other words, let's grab our next Snee.

I agree with some posters here who cite our need for a Safety, too....but that position carries a little more hit & miss, higher bust or at least failing to live up to expectations potential. I'd be nervous drafting a safety 9 overall.

These are good points and Scherff is safe. We could wait like ASJ said in get a Coates, I really like Phillip Dorsett in round two or McBride in round three

i want the biggest impact player regardless of position (besides qb). a lot of people thought we were fine at wr going into last year's draft too

I'm with this line of thinking. If he falls to 9, he's going to be the best player available. You don't let an immediate starting caliber receiver fall past you to draft a guard or even a safety or linebacker. He's being compared to Marvin Harrison in terms of fluidity and route running in and out of breaks, with that almost supernatural ability to create separation....but Cooper is bigger, taller, and more physical.

If Cooper falls to 9, the two choices are to draft him or let someone trade down to draft him and we pick up an extra 3rd or something similar.

I'm with this line of thinking. If he falls to 9, he's going to be the best player available. You don't let an immediate starting caliber receiver fall past you to draft a guard or even a safety or linebacker. He's being compared to Marvin Harrison in terms of fluidity and route running in and out of breaks, with that almost supernatural ability to create separation....but Cooper is bigger, taller, and more physical.

If Cooper falls to 9, the two choices are to draft him or let someone trade down to draft him and we pick up an extra 3rd or something similar.

yeah we're a solid franchise. it's not often we get a top 10 pick, we need to make the most of it and get a star

Yep... we should definitely go with the best available player philosophy... picking on needs is fraught with danger...

yeah we're a solid franchise. it's not often we get a top 10 pick, we need to make the most of it and get a star

I think this the key point. Last time we were in the top 10 we drafted a franchise QB. Last time we were in the top 15 we drafted what looks like is going to be a once in a generation type WR. I get the need at OL, and I'm not going to be angered at drafting a guard, but if Cooper is there at 9, how can he not be your guy? Led the NCAA in receptions with 124. Think about that, 124 in what, 13 or 14 games? With a pretty average qb throwing to him. Second in the NCAA in yards and TD's, playing in the SEC, which can throw some pretty good secondaries at you. He accounted for more than half of his teams passing TD's, he was the target, everyone knew he ws the target, and he showed up every week. He showed up in big games. He had two games of fewer than 8 receptions.

If he and White are gone at 9, take the guard from iowa or a deserving LB or DLman, but if Cooper is there, he has got to be our guy.

i want the biggest impact player regardless of position (besides qb). a lot of people thought we were fine at wr going into last year's draft too

Anyone thinking that last year should be kicked from the board