Herc

Jameis Winston
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-14)
COLLEGE: Florida State
Class: Soph
HT: 6-3
WT: 231
POS: QB

Analysis: I'd be very surprised if the Bucs didn't take a quarterback at No. 1, and both Winston and Mariota are possibilities here. But to me, Winston has a clear advantage over Mariota based on his on-field performance. He is such a natural passer in terms of his ability to anticipate throws and deliver the ball accurately, and, to me, if you limit it to an on-field evaluation, he's second only to Andrew Luck among QB prospects of the past 10 years. Tampa Bay will have to be comfortable with its character and psychological evaluations of Winston before drafting him No. 1 overall, but from what I've heard, Winston really impressed teams during his combine interview sessions with how he talked about his past, and he wowed them with his football IQ. Mariota possesses great physical tools and very good character and football intelligence, and I think he has the potential to develop into a good NFL starter. But to me, Winston is both more advanced now and has the higher ceiling when projecting the future.

Leonard Williams
Tennessee Titans (2-14)
COLLEGE: USC
Class: Jr
HT: 6-4
WT: 302
POS: DE

Analysis: The Titans have three options with this pick: (1) take Mariota (or Winston if Tampa takes Mariota No. 1); (2) take the best player in the draft in Williams, who is also a great fit in Tennessee's hybrid 3-4 defensive scheme; (3) accept an offer to trade down if they get a good one while on the clock. I've got them going with option 2, in part because I'm not sure Mariota's skill set is what head coach Ken Whisenhunt is looking for from his quarterback (he's had success with prototypical pocket passers in his career). Williams is an athletic, versatile and productive difference-maker who could be a Richard Seymour type at the next level as a 5-technique defensive end. If the Titans aren't going to draft a quarterback to match points with Luck and the Colts, they better get an impact defender who can help slow them down. Williams is that.

Dante Fowler Jr.
Jacksonville Jaguars (3-13)
COLLEGE: Florida
HT: 6-2
WT: 261

Analysis: If there was a tackle worth drafting here, I'd probably have the Jags take one, since they are looking for competition along the entire offensive line. But they also need a young pass-rusher, and Fowler would be a good fit as a 4-3 defensive end next to D-tackles Roy Miller and Sen'Derrick Marks. Fowler isn't as athletic as Nebrask's Randy Gregory -- the guy I had Jacksonville taking previously -- but he's a more complete player who can not only rush the passer but also set the edge against the run. That's the difference between him and Gregory, who is long and explosive but just 236 pounds. He isn't a fit for Jacksonville as a 4-3 end.

Kevin White
Oakland Raiders (3-13)
COLLEGE: West Virginia
Class: Sr
WT: 215
POS: WR

Analysis: The Raiders need to add weapons in the receiving corps to help second-year quarterback Derek Carr, and, to me, the choice comes down to White and Alabama's Amari Cooper. Cooper is a more proven commodity who is as complete a receiver as you'll find coming out of college given his savvy as a route runner, but White offers more big-play ability. He had just 35 catches in 2013 after transferring from junior college, but he exploded in 2014 once he became comfortable in the offense, catching 109 passes for 1,447 yards and 10 touchdowns. He has great size (6-foot-3, 215 pounds) and ball skills, and his 4.35 40-yard dash in Indy was the only sub-4.4 put up by a player 6-2 or taller in this year's class.

Randy Gregory
Washington Redskins (4-12)
COLLEGE: Nebraska
WT: 235
POS: OLB

Analysis: The Redskins' top two needs are right tackle and pass-rusher. They could take Iowa's Brandon Scherff is they're convinced he can play right tackle, but their better option -- unless Mariota slides to this spot and they find a team willing to trade up so they can get some extra picks -- is to go with an edge rusher. Gregory has freakish athleticism for a guy with his length, and he'd be a good fit as a right outside linebacker opposite Ryan Kerrigan. He improved his power and consistency this year, but in order to develop into a complete player, he needs to bulk up to set the edge against the run and add more power as a pass-rusher.

Marcus Mariota
New York Jets (4-12)
COLLEGE: Oregon
WT: 222

Analysis: If this scenario plays out, it provides the Jets' new regime a great opportunity to draft their guy at quarterback. As I wrote in the Bucs' section, I see Mariota as being a notch below Winston, but I do believe he has the potential to become a good starter in this league, so long as the team that takes him has a plan to develop him. Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey is a good fit for Mariota in that regard, given his history with spread-formation offenses. He can incorporate some up-tempo and zone-read elements for Mariota early while also developing his ability to win from the pocket, which is what Mariota will need to succeed long term. If the Jets don't take Mariota here, their other options include receiver Amari Cooper, cornerback Trae Waynes and pass-rusher Shane Ray.

Danny Shelton
Chicago Bears (5-11)
COLLEGE: Washington
WT: 339
POS: DT

Analysis: Shelton could become the centerpiece of the Bears' new 3-4 front in coordinator Vic Fangio's defense. They really need a versatile, big body, and Shelton provides that as a stout run defender who can occasionally collapse the pocket as a pass-rusher. Chicago also needs to add an edge rusher or two, which is why I considered slotting Missouri's Shane Ray here, but I think the team can look to address that need, as well as safety, on Day 2.

Shane Ray
Atlanta Falcons (6-10)
COLLEGE: Missouri
WT: 240

Analysis: We moved Ray down our board a little bit this week, to No. 15. His below-average performance in the bench press (21 reps) and the fact that he weighed in at just 246 pounds is a little bit of a concern when you scroll through the list of the NFL's sack leaders and recognize how many of them have power as a major component of their games. I also haven't been blown away by what I've seen from Ray on tape so far. However, he was a very productive player at Missouri, and once we get a chance to do his full evaluation and see his testing results at his pro day (he wasn't able to run in Indy due to an injury), we might move him back up. And the Falcons are in serious need of pass-rushing help for new head coach Dan Quinn's defense.

Brandon Scherff
New York Giants (6-10)
COLLEGE: Iowa
WT: 319
POS: OT

Analysis: I considered Oregon's Arik Armstead here because the Giants need a pass-rusher, especially if they can't work out a way to keep Jason Pierre-Paul. I think Armstead is an underrated prospect with an outstanding combination of size, agility and power, but he's a former basketball player who isn't known for being the toughest dude on the field, so I don't know that he'd be the right fit for a Tom Coughlin-coached team. Instead, I'll give them the ultimate tough guy in Scherff, who could either take over at right tackle for Justin Pugh or provide a major upgrade at left guard (with second-year lineman Weston Richburg likely to bump inside to center, his natural position).

Amari Cooper
St. Louis Rams (6-10)
COLLEGE: Alabama
HT: 6-0
WT: 211

Analysis: The Rams' biggest need is at quarterback, but in this scenario they aren't getting one. We don't project trades in these mocks, and it's hard to see St. Louis being able to draft Winston or Mariota on April 30 without trading up to do so. The next-biggest need is offensive line, but with Scherff off the board, there isn't a great value match at this point. (My highest-rated tackle is Andrus Peat, but he's more of a pure left tackle who doesn't fit this team's physical approach perfectly.) So I have them filling their need at wide receiver with a great value pick in Cooper, our No. 3 overall player. He is NFL-ready with great savvy as a route runner, separation skills, ball skills and run-after-catch ability. His 4.42 40-yard dash at the combine confirmed he has good speed.

Trae Waynes
Minnesota Vikings (7-9)
COLLEGE: Michigan State
WT: 186
POS: CB

Analysis: I think this pick could come down to Waynes and Louisville receiver DeVante Parker, who was Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater's favorite target at Louisville and is a top-10 player on our board. But Minnesota really needs help at corner, so I'll go with Waynes. He really helped himself at the combine by running a 4.31 40-yard dash, which eliminated any concerns about his speed after showing a little bit of tightness on tape. He is a technically sound cover corner with good instincts and football character. Plus, he plays hard and isn't afraid to show up in run support.

DeVante Parker
Cleveland Browns (7-9)
COLLEGE: Louisville
WT: 207

Analysis: The Browns' quarterback situation is a mess, with Brian Hoyer a free agent and 2014 first-rounder Johnny Manziel currently in rehab after a rookie season in which he struggled. But the only way they're going to find an answer in this year's draft is if they package the No. 12 and No. 19 picks to move up into the top five to draft Mariota, and I don't think they will (or should) do that. So their next-biggest needs are probably right tackle, wide receiver and nose tackle, and in Parker they're getting a big, productive wide receiver who quietly put up some impressive workout numbers at the combine -- 4.45 40-yard dash, 36.5-inch vertical jump, 10 foot, 5 inch broad jump -- that matched the explosiveness he displays on tape.

Vic Beasley
New Orleans Saints (7-9)
COLLEGE: Clemson
WT: 246

Analysis: I've got cornerback, outside linebacker, inside linebacker and offensive line as the Saints' biggest need areas, and in Beasley they'd be filling one of those while upgrading their pass rush. He turned in one of the best all-around workouts of the 322 players invited to this year's combine. He still needs to improve the power element to his game, both as a pass-rusher and when setting the edge versus the run, but he provided some indication that he'll be able to do exactly that by adding 26 pounds to his frame since last spring. Moreover, he has the fastest first step of any defender I've studied on tape this year, his football character is outstanding and he was remarkably productive at Clemson (44.5 tackles for loss and 25 sacks the past two seasons). This pick would make four edge rushers in the top 13.

Kevin Johnson
Miami Dolphins (8-8)
COLLEGE: Wake Forest
WT: 188

Analysis: This is a bit of a reach here, as Johnson is our 20th-ranked prospect, but given how many good young wide receivers there are in the NFL right now (with another good class on the way), teams such as Miami that need help at cornerback could feel compelled to reach a little bit on the best cornerback prospects in this class. Johnson is an underrated cover corner with excellent change-of-direction skills and good size at 6-foot, and he quietly turned in one of the better overall combine workouts among defensive backs. His 4.52 40 time is slightly above average for a corner, but what was overlooked were his outstanding results in the jumps (41.5-inch vertical, 10 foot, 10 inch broad) and shuttles (3.89 short shuttle, 6.79 long), matching the explosiveness and fluidity he shows on tape. Washington cornerback Marcus Peters is the better player, but his behavioral baggage could push him down the board.

Arik Armstead
San Francisco 49ers (8-8)
COLLEGE: Oregon
HT: 6-7
WT: 292

Analysis: The 49ers need a receiver who can stretch the field vertically, and there are several from which they could choose at this spot, but they also could be looking at upgrades at corner, offensive line and on the defensive front. Armstead is a great value pick at this spot (he's our No. 9 overall player), with an outstanding combination of size, agility and power. He shows violent hands to get off of blocks in the running game and as a pass-rusher. The arrow is pointing the right way with him, and he could be the heir apparent to Justin Smith, who is considering retirement.

Andrus Peat
Houston Texans (9-7)
COLLEGE: Stanford
HT: 6-6
WT: 313

Analysis: The Texans are a tough team to project prior to free agency because they have free agents they might need to replace via the draft at nearly every position on defense, depending on how things go. But as of now, right tackle is a need area, and Peat is a great value at this spot (No. 7 on our board). He has played left tackle his entire career, so the Texans would have to be comfortable with him transitioning to the right side if they want him to replace free-agent Derek Newton opposite current left tackle Duane Brown. But if they are, Peat is a big-time talent, with good size, length, awareness and quick feet. He has been inconsistent with his balance and as a finisher, but he's young (21 years old) and should continue to improve. Houston needs to upgrade at quarterback but doesn't have any options to do that in this scenario.

Malcom Brown
San Diego Chargers (9-7)
COLLEGE: Texas
WT: 319

Analysis: The Chargers need to upgrade the interior of their defensive line, as Sean Lissemore isn't working out at nose tackle and last year's fifth-rounder, Ryan Carrethers, only played in six games as a rookie. Brown could help right away, because at 6-2, 319 pounds he has the size and strength to not only upgrade the San Diego run defense but also add some much-needed pass-rushing production from the nose tackle spot. As a bonus, he's versatile enough to play all along the defensive line in different fronts.

Dorial Green-Beckham
Kansas City Chiefs (9-7)
COLLEGE: Missouri
HT: 6-5
WT: 237

Analysis: The Chiefs could really use a downfield threat at the wide receiver position (you've probably heard this a few times by now, but they didn't have a wide receiver catch a touchdown pass in 2014), and if they want one with slightly less risk, then Michigan's Devin Funchess and Arizona State's Jaelen Strong are options here. However, it's easy to see why they might take a chance on Green-Beckham. He has a unique skill set at 6-5, 237 pounds with 4.49 speed and flashed some impressive play as a true sophomore for Missouri in 2013. However, he's very raw on tape and has had some significant off-field incidents that resulted in his dismissal from the Missouri football program, so this would be a high-risk/high-reward pick.

Ereck Flowers
Cleveland Browns (7-9)
COLLEGE: Miami (FL)
HT: 6-6
WT: 329

Analysis: I had the Browns take Louisville receiver DeVante Parker at No. 12, so with this pick they'll address their need at right tackle. Flowers has a really good combination of size, strength, agility and toughness. He can get better with his hand placement and he needs to work at keeping his pads down more consistently, but the weaknesses he shows on tape are correctable. Additionally, he possesses great football character and takes well to coaching.

Landon Collins
Philadelphia Eagles (10-6)
COLLEGE: Alabama
WT: 228
POS: S

Analysis: I know from talking to Chip Kelly previously how highly he thinks of Mariota, his former quarterback at Oregon, but I don't know whether he'd be willing to pay a really high price in terms of draft picks and other assets to move up to draft him. Regardless, we don't project trades in these mock drafts anyway, and Collins would fill a need at safety, with strong safety Nate Allen a free agent this offseason. Collins has weakside linebacker size (6-0, 228 pounds) and impressive straight-line speed (4.53 40), and while he has some limitations in man-to-man coverage, he's got good range in deep zone coverage and he fills hard in run support. Washington cornerback Marcus Peters is another possibility here, since the Eagles need help at corner.

Bud Dupree
Cincinnati Bengals (10-5-1)
COLLEGE: Kentucky
WT: 269

Analysis: The Bengals need to upgrade their pass rush, and while Dupree needs polish and is inconsistent from game to game on tape, he has the physical tools to develop into a really good edge rusher in the NFL. The explosive ability he flashes on tape were verified with his ridiculous combine workout: At 6-4, 269 pounds, he ran a 4.56 40 and turned in the best score among linebackers in both the vertical (42 inches) and broad (11 feet, 6 inches) jump.

Jalen Collins
Pittsburgh Steelers (11-5)
COLLEGE: LSU
HT: 6-1
WT: 203

Analysis: Three of the Steelers' outside linebackers (James Harrison, Arthur Moats and Jason Worilds) are free agents, so that could quickly become a need area for them this offseason. For now, we'll have them address their secondary (both corner and safety are an issue) with Collins. He lacks ideal starting experience and still needs to refine his technique, but he's a long cornerback (an increasingly valuable commodity in today's NFL) with excellent movement skills and speed. He is also very good in run support.

Cameron Erving
Detroit Lions (11-5)
WT: 313
POS: OC

Analysis: The Lions could look to draft a defensive tackle here whether Ndamukong Suh returns or not -- Nick Fairley, Andre Fluellen and C.J. Mosley are all free agents as well -- but that isn't their only need. Cornerback, wide receiver and running back are other positions they could address, and the offensive line needs help, too, with quarterback Matthew Stafford being sacked 45 times last season. Erving could take over at center for Detroit, moving Travis Swanson to left guard. Those two, plus a healthy LaAdrian Waddle, would fill out a strong offensive line, with right guard Larry Warford and left tackle Riley Reiff playing at above-average levels at their respective positions.

Eli Harold
Arizona Cardinals (11-5)
COLLEGE: Virginia
WT: 237

Analysis: This is a reach in that Harold is only the No. 37 player on our board, but the Cardinals need to improve their pass rush and six have already gone off the board in this scenario. Also, Harold flashed elite physical tools that speak to his upside at the next level with his combine workout, putting up excellent numbers in the three drills most predictive of success for pass-rushers -- the 40-yard dash, the 10-yard split and short shuttle -- delivering excellent results of 4.6, 1.56 and 4.16, respectively. Arizona could also look to address the D-line, inside linebacker and running back positions this offseason.

T.J. Clemmings
Carolina Panthers (7-8-1)
COLLEGE: Pittsburgh
WT: 309

Analysis: The Panthers count both left tackle and right tackle among their positions of need, and Clemmings could step in and fill the hole on the right side. He's very raw, having only played offensive line the past two seasons, but he is a huge, powerful run-blocker who has enough mobility to develop into a good starter at right tackle in the NFL.

Marcus Peters
Baltimore Ravens (10-6)
COLLEGE: Washington
HT: 5-11
WT: 197

Analysis: Cornerback and safety have to be the priority positions for the Ravens this offseason, although they could also go with a wide receiver, running back or pass-rusher at this spot depending upon how the board shakes out. Based strictly off his tape, Peters is the best all-around cornerback in the class, with a good combination of instincts, cover skills, toughness and ball skills. The reason I have him sliding this fall is that he was kicked off Washington's football team this fall for repeated behavioral issues. The Ravens would have to feel comfortable with his character before drafting him, but they took a chance on a corner with similar baggage in Jimmy Smith a few years back, and Smith has fallen in line while becoming a productive player for Baltimore.

Melvin Gordon
Dallas Cowboys (12-4)
COLLEGE: Wisconsin
WT: 215
POS: RB

Analysis: Cornerback, defensive line and tight end are among the positions Dallas could look to address this offseason, and depending upon how the DeMarco Murray and Dez Bryant contract situations turn out, running back and wide receiver could also become priorities. If the Cowboys can keep only one of those guys, Murray is likely the odd man out as the 27-year old running back. Gordon's running style and skill set is very similar to Murray's as a workhorse who runs hard, gets from zero to 60 in a flash and displays great vision and patience as a runner, which would make him an ideal replacement. He isn't great in the passing game but showed some improvement at it this season. This pick would break the two-year streak of no running backs being drafted in the first round.

Eddie Goldman
Denver Broncos (12-4)
WT: 336

Analysis: This pick is largely dependent upon how free agency goes for the Broncos -- tight end, wide receiver and offensive line are all positions they could address. But if nose tackle Terrance Knighton leaves as a free agent, which seems likely at this point, Goldman is a good pick to replace him this late in the first round. Goldman is a stout run defender at 6-4, 336 pounds. He gets some push as a pass-rusher, although that isn't his strength, but Knighton doesn't provide much in that area, either.

La'el Collins
Indianapolis Colts (11-5)
COLLEGE: LSU
WT: 305

Analysis: The Colts will likely be hoping for one of the pass-rushers already off the board in this mock draft to drop to No. 29, as they need some youth at the perimeter rusher spots. Bjoern Werner hasn't shown enough promise for them to count on him emerging in 2015, and Robert Mathis turns 34 on Feb. 26. But in this scenario, the market on pass-rusher prospects has run dry, so I have them upgrading their offensive line with Collins, who could play either right tackle or right guard for Indianapolis. Georgia running back Todd Gurley is another possibility here.

Jordan Phillips
Green Bay Packers (12-4)
COLLEGE: Oklahoma
WT: 329

Analysis: The Packers have needs at inside linebacker, which is why Mississippi State's Benardrick McKinney could make sense here, and tight end, but both of those are positions they can address on Day 2. Defensive tackles B.J. Raji and Letroy Guion are free agents (Guion is also currently dealing with legal trouble), so drafting a replacement at nose tackle in Phillips makes sense. To be clear, Phillips' game tape is not that of a first-round pick; his effort is very up and down. But there are only so many human beings with the combination of size (6-5, 329 pounds) and athletic ability that Phillips possesses. He's three inches taller, 10 pounds heavier and has two-inch longer arms than Texas' Malcom Brown, yet he outperformed Brown in the vertical and broad jumps and had nearly identical times in his shuttle runs. If he becomes more consistent with his effort, he could be a very good player in the NFL.

Todd Gurley
Seattle Seahawks (12-4)
COLLEGE: Georgia
WT: 222
POS: RB

Analysis: If the Seahawks sign Marshawn Lynch to a long-term contract, then you can cross this pick off the list. But I have a hard time believing that's going to happen, and Gurley would make a lot of sense as a long-term replacement for Lynch in Seattle. The best NFL comp I can come up with for Gurley is Lynch, and he's a premier talent in this class with his combination of speed and power. Durability is a question mark with him, as he is currently recovering from a torn ACL. The Seahawks also need help along both lines, and LSU's La'el Collins could be an option if he falls to this spot. Miami tight end Clive Walford would be a good fit in the second round.

Carl Davis
New England Patriots (12-4)
COLLEGE: Iowa
WT: 320

Analysis: Todd Gurley would be an intriguing option here if he fell to this spot, and Michigan receiver Devin Funchess might also make sense as another weapon in the passing game alongside Rob Gronkowski. But Davis would help shore up the defensive line. His effort was inconsistent at Iowa but he has the traits you're looking for at the position: 6-5, 320 pounds with 34.6-inch arms and very good explosiveness (5.07 40-yard dash and a 39-inch vertical leap). Vince Wilfork would need to teach Davis how to be a pro.

I'm hearing good things about Scherff, but I don't want another rookie OL being forced into a starting role... especially with proven guys like Iupati and Carpenter available in free agency. And if Amari Cooper is on the board at 9 and we don't pick him I think I might literally explode.

I'm hearing good things about Scherff, but I don't want another rookie OL being forced into a starting role... especially with proven guys like Iupati and Carpenter available in free agency. And if Amari Cooper is on the board at 9 and we don't pick him I think I might literally explode.

I'm not sure we should go WR when the OL is in need of repair... We're most successful when we build thru the draft and only use FA to patch holes... and I guess we can both go after Luptai but also draft a solid OL who will man the position for the next decade. Case in point... look at Dallas' OL. As a matter of fact I'd be surprised if the Giants don't address the position in both draft and FA. No sense of having stud WRs if your OL can't keep the QB in the pocket longer than 2 second and have no running game that defenses can respect.

I think that Scherff is a good pick...ONLY IF...the Giants project him as a RT. If he ends up at G, it would instantly go from a good pick to a shitty pick. The uncertainty on position...with a top 10 selection...gives me pause. I think that a veteran FA coupled with a Rd 2 or 3 pick would be the way to go. The Rd 2 or 3 pick could learn for a year or two...or hopefully be good enough to start instantly.

That top pick I think has to be defense. Either DT, DE, LB, or S. Beasley at LB looked awfully impressive at the combine...and bulked up to 245 from his precombine weight in the low 230s. I'd like him in the 250-255 range if he can maintain his speed....but that's doable I'd think. And I've come around on Collins at S. I don't think we're resigning Rolle at this point...but free agency hasn't started yet, so I'm not sure we won't. But even if we do, he needs a running mate and depth. Having Cooper Taylor and Nat Berhe as the only two safeties makes this a huge hole, that until filled, keeps Collins in the discussion.

I'm not sure we should go WR when the OL is in need of repair... We're most successful when we build thru the draft and only use FA to patch holes... and I guess we can both go after Luptai but also draft a solid OL who will man the position for the next decade. Case in point... look at Dallas' OL. As a matter of fact I'd be surprised if the Giants don't address the position in both draft and FA. No sense of having stud WRs if your OL can't keep the QB in the pocket longer than 2 second and have no running game that defenses can respect.

If the scenario plays out like that and you don't want to take Cooper, which IMO, is asinine, you have to trade down.

if we're targeting collins it looks like we can trade down. i don't see him going top ten in any mocks i've seen

You'd have to have a trading partner for 1 and for 2, there would have to be a player available that partner is trading up to get. Collins was being mocked to us for weeks until recently.

i'm sure there are plenty of projected top ten picks that teams below us will want. for example if cooper falls to us i bet we could find a partner in the teens

Draft is deep at WR...if Cooper gets to us, teams below us will have multiple WR options and therefore no need to trade up.

The kicker is if either Mariota or Winston fall, which I don't think happens.

If the scenario plays out like that and you don't want to take Cooper, which IMO, is asinine, you have to trade down.

I'd be in favor of trading down over taking a WR when we have so many gaps that need to be addressed.

Draft is deep at WR...if Cooper gets to us, teams below us will have multiple WR options and therefore no need to trade up.

The kicker is if either Mariota or Winston fall, which I don't think happens.

that's your opinion and i happen to share it, but what about the teams that feel amari is a lot more special than devante parker? or maybe someone really loves scherff, ray, shelton, etc

that's your opinion and i happen to share it, but what about the teams that feel amari is a lot more special than devante parker? or maybe someone really loves scherff, ray, shelton, etc

There would have to be two teams picking below us that want the player...so that one can jump ahead of the other. My point was simply that there are too many quality WRs left for two teams to be fighting over them. That's why it's a different story if one of the QBs reaches us...because there's such a large drop off after Mariota and Winston.

Further, the team looking to trade up better not be looking for a player that we also value at that spot. Because if that's the case, we should just take the player.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking Brandon Scherff at 9 if he is the difference between 5-11 and 11-5. The offensive line needs help and it just doesn't make sense to go into the draft without any improvements to the line and pass on one of the top three offensive lineman in the draft.

If Jerry Jones didn't pick Zach Martin last year, Cowboys wouldn't have been in the playoffs last year. That is the difference a very good player can make at a key position.

There would have to be two teams picking below us that want the player...so that one can jump ahead of the other. My point was simply that there are too many quality WRs left for two teams to be fighting over them. That's why it's a different story if one of the QBs reaches us...because there's such a large drop off after Mariota and Winston.

Further, the team looking to trade up better not be looking for a player that we also value at that spot. Because if that's the case, we should just take the player.

yes this is all based on the hypothetical that the giants really want collins and think they can get him a bit later

Reese is all about the highlight reels.....he'll fall in love with whomever does the most jumping jacks.

If we just flat out don't make any OL moves in free agency and Scherff is on the board at 9, then we take him. I just have no idea why we'd pass up on potentially landing Iupati who's a proven Top quality Guard and only 27. My thoughts on drafting a WR have to do with cost. Everyone, writers and fans alike, seem to be ignoring the 2 elephants in the room when it comes to our WR Corps. Cruz is NOT going to be 2011 Cruz coming off that injury, and Randle is about as reliable as a weather forcast in NJ. Outside of OBJ who scares defenses? And who steps up if God Forbid he gets hurt? Draft a WR high in a WR-Deep draft (meaning between rounds 1 and 3... not some 7th round project with blazing speed and no hands) and you have inexpensive insurance for OBJ's health and a new toy for an aging Eli.

If we just flat out don't make any OL moves in free agency and Scherff is on the board at 9, then we take him. I just have no idea why we'd pass up on potentially landing Iupati who's a proven Top quality Guard and only 27. My thoughts on drafting a WR have to do with cost. Everyone, writers and fans alike, seem to be ignoring the 2 elephants in the room when it comes to our WR Corps. Cruz is NOT going to be 2011 Cruz coming off that injury, and Randle is about as reliable as a weather forcast in NJ. Outside of OBJ who scares defenses? And who steps up if God Forbid he gets hurt? Draft a WR high in a WR-Deep draft (meaning between rounds 1 and 3... not some 7th round project with blazing speed and no hands) and you have inexpensive insurance for OBJ's health and a new toy for an aging Eli.

There are some concerns that Iupita is starting to break down which I'm not concerned about however he is not as good in pass protection. While Iupati is a pro bowler, Orlando Franklin I think is the better Guard in free agency this year.

Nobody has a clue what to expect regarding Victor Cruz going into the 2015 season but I'll bet on Cruz being ready for us.

There are some concerns that Iupita is starting to break down which I'm not concerned about however he is not as good in pass protection. While Iupati is a pro bowler, Orlando Franklin I think is the better Guard in free agency this year.

Nobody has a clue what to expect regarding Victor Cruz going into the 2015 season but I'll bet on Cruz being ready for us.

There's also Carpenter (Seattle) who's a year younger.

I completely agree with you, Dragon. I've been saying this same thing. You have to provide Eli with weapons for an end run at another championship and the weapons he has are going to be a question mark. There's a middle of the road tight end, a budding star in Beckham. An inconsistent engima in Randle. And a possibly-never-the-same Cruz. The offensive line might not scare anyone but they kept Eli upright and our passing game was solid this past season. If you get a guy like Cooper and pair him with Beckham with Cruz in the slot and Randle i on 4 WR sets, you have an offense that immediately scares everyone.

There's only one ball, I don't see the point of another high draft pick on wide receiver. If a wide receiver, Cooper or otherwise, is the best player on the board, I hope they trade out.

I know nothing about the prospects so far, but a non-tackle offensive lineman in the top ten of the first round?.... if that guy isn't a Steve Hutchinson clone, hell fuckin no.

Jameis Winston
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-14)
WT: 231

Analysis: I'd be very surprised if the Bucs didn't take a quarterback at No. 1, and both Winston and Mariota are possibilities here. But to me, Winston has a clear advantage over Mariota based on his on-field performance. He is such a natural passer in terms of his ability to anticipate throws and deliver the ball accurately, and, to me, if you limit it to an on-field evaluation, he's second only to Andrew Luck among QB prospects of the past 10 years. Tampa Bay will have to be comfortable with its character and psychological evaluations of Winston before drafting him No. 1 overall, but from what I've heard, Winston really impressed teams during his combine interview sessions with how he talked about his past, and he wowed them with his football IQ. Mariota possesses great physical tools and very good character and football intelligence, and I think he has the potential to develop into a good NFL starter. But to me, Winston is both more advanced now and has the higher ceiling when projecting the future.

I made the mistake of posting in the NFL section, which nobody really looks at, about Jameis not being the #1 pick this year. I have a certain degree of conviction on my thoughts. I think it's going to be Mariota or Leonard Williams. And with the rumors about the Eagles willing to do whatever it takes to get Mariota, that makes him even more valuable. Personally, I don't want Chip Kelly to trade a bunch of draft picks for Mariota. I have a feeling he's going to be a very good franchise QB in the NFL. Unless it's a trade with us where we profit, and then I'd rather trade out of #9 (should he be there), to a DIFFERENT team that theoretically covets him (Cleveland, Houston, Arizona?). But those scenarios aren't very likely to play out.

This year is a tough one. I'm starting to do some study, and I've looked at some OL and WR, haven't really gotten into defensive players yet. Kevin White I think I have a bit higher than Cooper, but it's really, really close, and I think both are going to be excellent players. A guy who I think is better than his current projection is Sammie Coates from Auburn. He's big, strong, and fast. Not quite as quick as a Cooper, but is more physical. And I think he could be as good a receiver as there is in the draft, and there's a small chance we could get him in the 2nd. Cooper is a fine player, I think Coates would be a better compliment to ODB, though.

There's only one ball, I don't see the point of another high draft pick on wide receiver. If a wide receiver, Cooper or otherwise, is the best player on the board, I hope they trade out.

I know nothing about the prospects so far, but a non-tackle offensive lineman in the top ten of the first round?.... if that guy isn't a Steve Hutchinson clone, hell fuckin no.

But if teams can focus on taking ODB out of the game because the rest of your players are inconsistent or can't get open, like was the case at the beginning of the year pre-beckham, you can't spread the ball to anyone.

Larry Donell was our best pass catcher prior to Beckham. Let that sink in.

I made the mistake of posting in the NFL section, which nobody really looks at, about Jameis not being the #1 pick this year. I have a certain degree of conviction on my thoughts. I think it's going to be Mariota or Leonard Williams. And with the rumors about the Eagles willing to do whatever it takes to get Mariota, that makes him even more valuable. Personally, I don't want Chip Kelly to trade a bunch of draft picks for Mariota. I have a feeling he's going to be a very good franchise QB in the NFL. Unless it's a trade with us where we profit, and then I'd rather trade out of #9 (should he be there), to a DIFFERENT team that theoretically covets him (Cleveland, Houston, Arizona?). But those scenarios aren't very likely to play out.

This year is a tough one. I'm starting to do some study, and I've looked at some OL and WR, haven't really gotten into defensive players yet. Kevin White I think I have a bit higher than Cooper, but it's really, really close, and I think both are going to be excellent players. A guy who I think is better than his current projection is Sammie Coates from Auburn. He's big, strong, and fast. Not quite as quick as a Cooper, but is more physical. And I think he could be as good a receiver as there is in the draft, and there's a small chance we could get him in the 2nd. Cooper is a fine player, I think Coates would be a better compliment to ODB, though.

Yeah, I've been touting Sammie Coates for what seems like forever. I would be OK with going defensive line and then Coates in the second, provided he's still there. I actually think a team will take him before the end of the first round, though. He's a physical freak. The JPP of wide receivers, if you will. He might be the most physically gifted and strongest wide receivers in the class.

Still, in the Auburn-Alabama game, Amari Cooper was head and shoulders above Sammie Coates in terms of being a consistently open, dominating wide receiver. Coates may be just as big if not bigger of a home run threat, however.

we have beckham and a bunch of question marks. if randle takes the leap and cruz comes back healthy then great but we shouldn't count on it. if cruz isn't 2011 cruz he's a legit candidate to be cut after this season and this draft is loaded with wr's. the league is about weapons and look what just adding one big one did for our offense last year. totally masked the fact that our o-line wasn't fixed yet