SportsWrath

Giants’ perfect plan for JPP: Keep him or get two 1st-round picks

Mr. P

The Giants are negotiating to keep Jason Pierre-Paul by placing the non-exclusive franchise tag on him that would force any salivating suitor to surrender a pair of first-round picks should the Giants decide not to match the offer during the seven-day window, The Post has learned.

In other words, the Giants are putting their money where co-owner John Mara’s mouth was when he declared immediately following the season they want JPP back — at the right price.

The Giants know better than most that gifted 26-year-old pass rushers don’t grow on trees, and in the event another team values Pierre-Paul more than they do, or has more cap room, this is the shrewd play to possibly discourage a would-be raider from stealing him away without having to pay Big Blue a prohibitive price.

“They will negotiate to tag him,” a league source familiar with the Giants’ thinking told The Post.

If the market is not what Pierre-Paul hopes it will be between now and the March 2 opening of the negotiating window and he remains a Giant, he would receive a guaranteed salary based on the five-year average cap percentage of the franchise tag for his position, or receive the same 120 percent raise as the exclusive franchise player.

It would also buy the Giants time to work out a long-term deal with him. The Giants would prefer a deal that would pay Pierre-Paul in the $11 million-to-$12 million range instead of a whopping $14.6 million for 2015, considering they are $18 million under the cap.

Pierre-Paul finished his 2014 salary drive with a flourish — overcoming the back and shoulder problems that sabotaged his 2012 and 2013 seasons — with 12.5 sacks and superior run defense.

“The guy has some ability to be a game-changer. We didn’t see enough of that in the first half of the season,” general manager Jerry Reese said following the season — words undoubtedly meant for the ears of Team JPP.

Pierre-Paul has offered conflicting signals about his desires.

“If I could stay here, I’d love to be a Giant for life,’’ he said in December.

He originally signed a five-year, $20.05 million deal that included $11.6 million in guaranteed money. His 2014 salary was $2.11 million, and he declined to publicly offer the club a hometown discount.

Which means if he does indeed want to be a Giant For Life, he wants to be a Rich Giant For Life.

http://nypost.com/2015/02/16/giants-perfect-plan-for-jpp-keep-him-or-get-two-1st-round-picks/

If that's the deal, than the Giants have all the bargaining chips. Another team signs him to a shit ton of money...we get 2 first round picks. If that team is the Raiders, than I'd almost prefer they sign him.

In a case like this, I like to flip the script a bit. If JPP were on another team and this situation arose, would you want the Giants to go after him and risk losing two first rounders? I personally don't think JPP is worth two first rounders and a costly salary. He's good, but he's not that good.

He's a Giant next year as a result.

i'd love to get the two first round picks but i can't even remember any team ever paying that price for a tagged player

Yea.. not happening. Not sure a team would part with a first rounder (if top 10) and even a 3rd given the financials... Rookie price vs vet price. I just hope they sign the guy for a fair price to both parties... while I like JPP, the fact our team collectively has been horrible against the run doesn't exactly scream confidence... and the fact JPP disappears in games isn't helping either... not saying the guy sucks but he has his flaws and that should factor into the price.

I think you keep him tagged as another "show me" year. He didn't show up until the games didn't mean anything and the competition sucked.

Yeah, this. It gives the Giants another full healthy year to evaluate if he's worth the big contract. It kills any hope of getting any reasonably high-priced free agents in this year though; more barrel diving for Reese & Co.

i'd love to get the two first round picks but i can't even remember any team ever paying that price for a tagged player

Yeah the two first round picks are infinitely more value than Pierre-Paul.

"Infinitely?" Holy exaggeration, Batman!!!

Jason Pierre-Paul is an adequate starter. He's not even top 10 defensive ends in the league. Maybe top 20.

He's going to be grossly overpaid with the franchise tag.

Jason Pierre-Paul is an adequate starter. He's not even top 10 defensive ends in the league. Maybe top 20.

He's going to be grossly overpaid with the franchise tag.

I'd like to see what he can do with a competent DC. It's why a Franchise Tag may not be the worst thing after all... preferably he'd sign for the lucrative amount of $11M a year...

Actually he's easily top 5. It's crazy some people don't realize how good JPP is. If he wasn't in the top 10, there's no way Giants use the tag on him. The sack is such an overrated stat. He is one of the premier run defenders from the DE position as there is in the game. Only Watt had more... 78 to JPP's 77... Third place isn't even close...I think Jurell Casey at 68. Also 12.5 sacks still put him at 8th in the NFL. People also claim JPP was a stat compiler against bad teams. Just not true. Watch the battles he had against Tyron Smith this year. Smith is making a case for himself as the best LT in the NFL, and at times, JPP was out-classing him. Not that Smith didn't win his share of the battles, but that matchup this year harkened back to Runyan-Strahan battles. If you ask Tyron, he will probably tell you JPP was his toughest draw all season. The expectations are so high for JPP, that even when he has an All-Pro caliber season, it's a disappointment because he didn't dominate at a #56 level. There's Watt, and there's JPP, to me #1 and #2 in the NFL. Yes I think he's better than Mario Williams because he's a better run defender.

Actually he's easily top 5. It's crazy some people don't realize how good JPP is. If he wasn't in the top 10, there's no way Giants use the tag on him. The sack is such an overrated stat. He is one of the premier run defenders from the DE position as there is in the game. Only Watt had more... 78 to JPP's 77... Third place isn't even close...I think Jurell Casey at 68. Also 12.5 sacks still put him at 8th in the NFL. People also claim JPP was a stat compiler against bad teams. Just not true. Watch the battles he had against Tyron Smith this year. Smith is making a case for himself as the best LT in the NFL, and at times, JPP was out-classing him. Not that Smith didn't win his share of the battles, but that matchup this year harkened back to Runyan-Strahan battles. If you ask Tyron, he will probably tell you JPP was his toughest draw all season. The expectations are so high for JPP, that even when he has an All-Pro caliber season, it's a disappointment because he didn't dominate at a #56 level. There's Watt, and there's JPP, to me #1 and #2 in the NFL. Yes I think he's better than Mario Williams because he's a better run defender.

I'm not discounting how good JPP was... but I don't think he's been all that great. I think the potential is there...

JJ Watt

Calais Campbell

Robert Quinn

Michael Johnson

Ziggy Ansah

Chandler Jones

Fletcher Cox

All guys I put ahead of JPP off the top of my head,

It's absolutely Giants homerism putting JPP anywhere near top 5. He's maybe 13th or 14th.

I don't know Driz, not that the DL is a stat-driven position, but show us sacks, tackles, tackles for loss.... some of these guys have had one season on par, but none of those guys but Watt really stack up against JPP over a span of seasons.

and I don't think most of those guys are as good against the run.

JPP is good against the run except when he collapsed inside and let the runner/QB go outside... not saying the dude can't be a monster but he still has some learning to do... Fewel wasn't the right coach and I'm hopeful Spags brings the best out of him.

robert mathis, cameron wake, muhammed wilkerson, greg hardy. there's a ton of great d-linemen that can have the top 5 case be made for them.

there's some risk attached to giving him a long term deal but that's the beauty of the franchise tag.

JPP is good against the run except when he collapsed inside and let the runner/QB go outside... not saying the dude can't be a monster but he still has some learning to do... Fewel wasn't the right coach and I'm hopeful Spags brings the best out of him.

This is true. His football IQ is low. Thats my only apprehension about the guy.

This is true. His football IQ is low. Thats my only apprehension about the guy.

I remember Strahan's contract drama... at the end of the day this won't be a deal breaker... I'm sure the Giants will offer him a reasonable deal high enough to keep here just not as high as his agent wants and will roll the dice... if he decides to go somewhere else (which I think will earn us some kind of a compensation pick??), then we have a bit of money to sign an impact FA like Suh... of course having both would just be amazing... but I don't see it happening given we have a young kid in Bromely who should be seeing the field now.

I wonder how much of that was on JPP, and how much of that was Fewell being perhaps the worst in-game coordinator in the NFL. But to your point, even when you collapse inside you are still responsible for your initial positioning, and the QB does read the DE..

Herzlich and Kennard - the best two run-defending linebackers on the team - were sitting on the bench during that time.

I really am excited to see what JPP does with a creative, aggressive coordinator.

My guess is that for starters, they won't be redlining him all game so he's fucking useless in the 4th quarter.

2nd guess is they won't stick him against all-pro tackles all game, and instead, line him up on mismatches.

Regardless of their 2015 record, not having to watch Fewell's defense get embarrassed will be a gift.