SportsWrath

Pre Free Agency/Combine/Draft Thoughts for 2015

Dragon

Its like I've been saying... we're not a player or two away from being competitive, its more like six or seven. Jerry Reese's four years of shit drafts are going to amount to at least for years of average-at-best play.

I'm not sold on Williams at RB either. He has all the physical talent in the world, but is deficient in the most important area a back needs... vision.

It's actually a little worse than that, Seph--we don't really know WHERE we're at.

We keep assuming Schwartz playing would have helped--we don't know that for certain. There was a little hope when he came in for his special guest appearance, but we don't know about his everyday play.

Rolle's play dropped this past year--is it because he is getting old, or because we had Bowman and Chykie Brown playing corner instead of Prince and Thurmond? Especially after he had a great season in 2013. And now we have to put a price on his services.

Ayers did pretty well before he got injured--what do we do with him?

Normally, we would have a pretty good idea about what worked and what didn't last offseason. Because of the injuries, we don't have any idea what panned out. Just a few things that clearly didn't.

The WR in the first round fan bandwagon was last year and the second to last thing we need is another one. We can get an insurance player for Cruz in Free Agency or in any other round of the draft. Right now Landon Collins is an excellent first round potential pick.

The WR in the first round fan bandwagon was last year and the second to last thing we need is another one. We can get an insurance player for Cruz in Free Agency or in any other round of the draft. Right now Landon Collins is an excellent first round potential pick.

I'll agree that WR is deep in this draft. Which of these guys would be the Jordy Nelson to Beckham's Randall Cobb?

Wide receivers

Seyi Ajirotutu, San Diego Chargers

Miles Austin, Cleveland Browns

Jason Avant, Kansas City Chiefs

Kenny Britt, St. Louis Rams

Vincent Brown, Oakland Raiders

Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys

Randall Cobb, Green Bay Packers

Michael Crabtree, San Francisco 49ers

Josh Cribbs, Indianapolis Colts

Marcus Easley, Buffalo Bills

Derek Hagan, Tennessee Titans

Leonard Hankerson, Washington Redskins

Dwayne Harris, Dallas Cowboys

Darrius Heyward-Bey, Pittsburgh Steelers

Jerrel Jernigan, New York Giants

Brandon Lloyd, San Francisco 49ers

Jeremy Maclin, Philadelphia Eagles

Robert Meachem, New Orleans Saints

Denarius Moore, Oakland Raiders

Josh Morgan, Chicago Bears

Santana Moss, Washington Redskins

Hakeem Nicks, Indianapolis Colts

Kevin Ogletree, New York Giants

Kassim Osgood, San Francisco 49ers

Eddie Royal, San Diego Chargers

Dane Sanzenbacher, Cincinnati Bengals

Cecil Shorts, Jacksonville Jaguars

Brad Smith, Philadelphia Eagles

Torrey Smith, Baltimore Ravens

Brandon Tate, Cincinnati Bengals

Demaryius Thomas, Denver Broncos

Deonte Thompson, Buffalo Bills

Nate Washington, Tennessee Titans

Reggie Wayne, Indianapolis Colts

Wes Welker, Denver Broncos

Edit... And be affordable.

An inconsistent Rueben Randle and a Cruz who has a 50-50 chance of being at full health to begin the season and even a pretty good chance of never being the same....? I would say that providing Eli Manning two top threats at wide receiver (Beckham being one) and upgrading the slot receiver position by moving Cruz back to it in order to usher Eli into the twilight of his career is not only not the second to last thing we need, it should be a number one priority. If we don't go with one with the 9th pick, I'd be fine with the 2nd round pick.

Secondly, safety is not a position to pick at #9. If you don't go wide receiver, you have to go defensive line, tackle or end, it doesn't matter.

I'd actually love to have Jeremy Maclin, though...and I'm really not sure who else other than Philadelphia would be willing to pay him what he's going to ask for. He had a great, bounce back season this year, but for whatever reason, Maclin consistently flies under the radar and I don't think he's going to get anything above what Philly will offer him.

I'll agree that WR is deep in this draft. Which of these guys would be the Jordy Nelson to Beckham's Randall Cobb?

Wide receivers

Seyi Ajirotutu, San Diego Chargers

Miles Austin, Cleveland Browns

Jason Avant, Kansas City Chiefs

Kenny Britt, St. Louis Rams

Vincent Brown, Oakland Raiders

Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys

Randall Cobb, Green Bay Packers

Michael Crabtree, San Francisco 49ers

Josh Cribbs, Indianapolis Colts

Marcus Easley, Buffalo Bills

Derek Hagan, Tennessee Titans

Leonard Hankerson, Washington Redskins

Dwayne Harris, Dallas Cowboys

Darrius Heyward-Bey, Pittsburgh Steelers

Jerrel Jernigan, New York Giants

Brandon Lloyd, San Francisco 49ers

Jeremy Maclin, Philadelphia Eagles

Robert Meachem, New Orleans Saints

Denarius Moore, Oakland Raiders

Josh Morgan, Chicago Bears

Santana Moss, Washington Redskins

Hakeem Nicks, Indianapolis Colts

Kevin Ogletree, New York Giants

Kassim Osgood, San Francisco 49ers

Eddie Royal, San Diego Chargers

Dane Sanzenbacher, Cincinnati Bengals

Cecil Shorts, Jacksonville Jaguars

Brad Smith, Philadelphia Eagles

Torrey Smith, Baltimore Ravens

Brandon Tate, Cincinnati Bengals

Demaryius Thomas, Denver Broncos

Deonte Thompson, Buffalo Bills

Nate Washington, Tennessee Titans

Reggie Wayne, Indianapolis Colts

Wes Welker, Denver Broncos

Edit... And be affordable.

Bang for the buck, on that list...I'd actually be interested in what Hakeem Nicks will demand. He was inconsistent to say the least for us, but if he's been humbled enough by the effects of what many believe to be lackluster effort, he could be...COULD be all but a vet minimum guy. Even if he were a 2 mil/year guy, I think that may be worth it for what he can do. Given the new offensive coordinator, he may be better used, better motivated too. He's still young enough to revive his career. Being buried on a depth chart in Indianapolis isn't doing him any favors. Coming here, he'd at least compete for the #2 spot with Cruz in 2 WR sets and would likely automatically be ahead of Randle for 3 WR sets.

I'd actually love to have Jeremy Maclin, though...and I'm really not sure who else other than Philadelphia would be willing to pay him what he's going to ask for. He had a great, bounce back season this year, but for whatever reason, Maclin consistently flies under the radar and I don't think he's going to get anything above what Philly will offer him.

I think the Vikings should think hard about it. Young QB could use an vet WR while they try to develop Patterson into an actual route runner.

The offseason schedule, just for sake of discussion:

2/16: Franchise Tags begin

2/17-23: NFL Combine

3/2: Franchise Tag deadline

3/10, 4 pm: Deadline to execute 2015 options, provide offers to RFAs, be under salary cap

3/10, 4 pm: Free agency officially begins

4/6: Teams with new coaches start offseason workouts

4/20: Teams with returning coaches start offseason workouts

4/24: RFAs offer/signing deadline

4/29: Teams decide (or not) to match RFA offers

4/30 - 5/2: NFL Draft

An inconsistent Rueben Randle and a Cruz who has a 50-50 chance of being at full health to begin the season and even a pretty good chance of never being the same....? I would say that providing Eli Manning two top threats at wide receiver (Beckham being one) and upgrading the slot receiver position by moving Cruz back to it in order to usher Eli into the twilight of his career is not only not the second to last thing we need, it should be a number one priority. If we don't go with one with the 9th pick, I'd be fine with the 2nd round pick.

Secondly, safety is not a position to pick at #9. If you don't go wide receiver, you have to go defensive line, tackle or end, it doesn't matter.

Best player available and a safety at 9 makes a lot more sense than tweeners at linebacker and defense end, or a defensive tackle for a team that doesn't re-sign them. It really does matter.

Rueben Randle has one more season and the Giants are going to give it to him. Jerrel Jernigan despite production is going to get a one year contract. There is a long list of players who come back from injuries which should have ended their football careers and Victor Cruz at 80% is better than the two guys mentioned above.

Sure it would be great if we could add another WR, but we still have problems running the ball and have a defense in desperate need of playmakers.

Funny, when I looked over that list of FA wide receivers late last night, I picked out Eddie Royal and Cecil Shorts as guys I'd take a flyer on and viola! Herc and Pdub name those very two! Great minds, I suppose!

Same here--he's not going to dazzle you with big plays, but he's the guy that's going to move the chains.

Same here--he's not going to dazzle you with big plays, but he's the guy that's going to move the chains.

Agreed, I'd love to get Maclin....but his numbers were pretty dazzling this year - 85 - 1300+ - 15.5 ave - 10 TDs. Yes, those are career bests and being part of a high octane offense certainly helped but I gotta think those numbers will fetch him a bigger contract that we'd want to spring for.

Agreed, I'd love to get Maclin....but his numbers were pretty dazzling this year - 85 - 1300+ - 15.5 ave - 10 TDs. Yes, those are career bests and being part of a high octane offense certainly helped but I gotta think those numbers will fetch him a bigger contract that we'd want to spring for.

yeah probably. i think he's a pipe dream and wr is a position i'd rather draft than give out a big contract to anyway

Me too... But I'm surprised experts have him as a second rounder.

i think that has to do with wr being such a great position this draft. it'd be great to get him in the second round if he falls that far