SportsWrath

Pre Free Agency/Combine/Draft Thoughts for 2015

Dragon

2014 was a rough year for us, but there were definitely bright spots that softened the blow of another sub .500 season.

Offensive Review:

QB - With a ton of help from Odell Beckham Jr, Eli Manning tied his career high in TD Passes (31 in 2010) and cut his interceptions by to just over half his previous year (2013: 27; 2014: 14). With Eli going into the final year of his contract and (as far as I’m concerned) not much trust/faith in Nassib to take the reins yet I see an extension (2-3 years) coming so that Eli can play out the remainder of his career in blue. Leave as is.

RB/FB - Rookie RB Andre Williams showed signs of being able to handle splitting carries while he learns how to be an NFL Back, and Jennings, when healthy is a very good option in both the running and passing game. Thinking of what could've been with David Wilson in the fold. Not sure if Darkwa can be "that guy" but we definitely need a 3rd back in the fold. I couldn't study Hynoski as much as I wanted to as I was working through a lot of this season, so I'm not sure how to judge his performance. Undecided…

WR/TE - In the passing game, our WRs have the potential to be lethal IF they remain HEALTHY (Looking at you, Cruz). Guys like Corey Washington need to be given a shot to shine or at least a shot to show if he has what it takes to be an NFL WR and although he had some moments where he cost us (drops... getting ejected against the Rams) I like the fight Preston Parker shows. Odell Beckham Jr... nothing else needs to be said. I would absolutely love to see what the passing game would look like with a consistent threat opposite Beckham Jr. Randle’s performance towards the end of the season was inspiring and if he can keep that effort and focus up the WR Corps could potentially be the most dangerous we’ve ever fielded. I'm not a fan of our TEs at the moment, but Donnell showed potential and Fells is a reliable second option for the time being and should be brought back I we’re unable to upgrade the position. This unit, however, NEEDS to learn to block better. Idk how many times we watched a play get blown up because our TEs couldn't set a decent edge for our RBs. Upgrades needed...

OL - This unit started out horribly and still can't run block consistently, but kept Eli upright for the most part this season. I still believe Beatty and Pugh were solid but both need to improve. John Jerry is adequate but only as a backup and seeing Walton get driven into the backfield as much as I did this season made me want O'Hara to find the fountain of youth... definitely not a fan. I think the OL is 2 good starters away from being complete. One of those starters could be Schwartz but he's only managed about 1.5 games with us since he signed his contract. Upgrades definitely needed.

Defensive Review

DL - Unfortunately the memories of the "Four Aces" from 2007 and "Nascar" from 2011 are nothing but memories. The dominant DL that we used to feature has become a thing of the distant past, however towards the end of the season we started to see that there are pieces in place to make the DLine a force once again. From DE standpoint, JPP is going into his prime and although he’s been inconsistent and injury prone I fully expect to see him back next season and with some consistent push from the opposite side I believe he’ll begin to shape himself back into that 2011 form that caused havoc across the NFL. For the DTs Jonathan Hankins showed an impressive improvement from his rookie season and hopefully he stays healthy and only gets better. Jenkins wasn’t on the field for ¼ of the season and his absence was felt in a number of instances but the most glaring was during the 2nd Cowboys game where Tony Romo was given 32 seconds to find open receivers by our DLine. As a group that was a failure and it’s impossible to say whether his presence would’ve prevented that, but it’s a mark against this unit that is in need of some life and energy. Upgrades are definitely Needed…

LB – It’s amazing what a capable LB can do for a team. For years we went into seasons with our GM putting together a makeshift group of former draft busts and tweeners and while the theory of “It’s a low risk/high reward proposition” is good, the results often don’t work in our favor. I like McClain as a stopgap until we find a more permanent solution, however Beason cannot be trusted to stay healthy and Williams literally looks lost whenever I see him on the field. Kennard was a really good draft pick and I can’t wait to see how he improves in year 2. This LB corps have needed an injection of life and talent for a long time and I’d love to see an upgrade to this unit.

DB – On paper the secondary has the most talent I’ve ever seen (wearing NYG Blue) in my short time of actually studying players and front office moves, however they were absolutely decimated by injuries. The good thing about the major injuries to the CBs were upper body injuries which means they will not lose any speed and considering the WR talent they’ll be facing in the NFC East they’re going to need it. At the S position we have a problem. If I remember correctly, once the new league year begins we’ll only have Berhe and Taylor under contract and while I think at least 1 of our FA safeties (Rolle) will be back, these guys didn’t perform up to expectations. Whether that was them underperforming, Fewell’s scheme, lack of understanding of said scheme or a combination of everything remains to be seen, but one thing rings true beyond all else and that is the need for our Secondary to play much better than it did. Far too many times over the last few years we’ve had to see WRs and TEs running free through our Secondary and that needs to end.

ST – In the kicking game Josh Brown supplied a consistently accurate and strong leg, however Weatherford’s injury and our offense’s inability to move the ball at times highlighted a huge weakness with our punter… his leg isn’t that strong. Weatherford has done a decent job punting and (for the most part) a very good job holding on the fg team. In the return game Beckham is Beckham, but aside from that we don’t have anyone to be a consistent threat. There were an absurd number of fumbles on Kick Returns this year so consistency and stability are greatly needed here if we are to succeed in the future.

At the end of the 2014 season I looked back and saw many times that we blew opportunities to not only finish above .500 but to be in the hunt for a playoff spot. Normally I’d be pretty upset as a fan over these occurrences, however most of these errors were mental or technique errors rather than lack of talent and that can be corrected through coaching and film study. Going into 2015 with the correct moves in free agency and draft we should be able to field a team that will be back in the playoff hunt. Our Free Agents are as follows (Copied from BronxRik’s thread):

· Antrel Rolle, S

· Jason Pierre-Paul, DE

· Walter Thurmond, CB

· Stevie Brown, S

· Jacquian Williams, OLB

· Spencer Paysinger, OLB

· Henry Hynoski, FB

· Quintin Demps, S

· Jerrel Jernigan, WR

· James Brewer, G

· John Jerry, G

· Zack Bowman, CB

· Mark Herzlich, ILB

This list isn’t spectacular by any means, but there are pieces that I feel definitely need to be brought back. With the return of Steve Spagnuolo as our DC, I believe Rolle (2 years), JPP (Probably under the Franchise Tag) and Walter Thurmond 3rd all need to be brought back and we need to make an attempt to bring Bowman back into the fold as well for insurance and MAYBE Herzlich for his special teams play. As far as the offensive free agents go, the only one I want to bring back is Hynoski. The rest, honestly, can go find work elsewhere.

The most glaring issues our team faced in 2015 was, obviously, the offensive line and the miscommunications and lack of consistent pressure from the defense. The OLine as it stands is in need of 2 starting caliber Guards once Richburg moves to his natural Center position. Ideally we’d all like to draft and groom our own players rather than relying on free agency, however… why not use both to our advantage? The best available options on the market are San Francisco’s Mike Iupati and Seattle’s James Carpenter. I don’t claim to know much about either, but considering their ages, both would be playing the prime or their respective careers on this upcoming contract so if we were able to sign one of them to a decent deal and get Schwartz back our OLine would be vastly improved.

2014: Beatty, Richburg, Walton, Jerry, Pugh;

2015: Beatty, Schwartz/Free Agent, Richburg, Schwartz/Free Agent, Pugh

The other route we can take is signing an older Vet Guard for 1-2 years and drafting someone for him to groom. Top Guard prospects are Alabama’s Arie Kouandijo, LSU’s La’el Collins, and FSU’s Josue Matias and Cameron Erving (Who plays all 5 positions, but projects better to the interior OLine). When it comes to the Tackles I’m still not overly comfortable with Beatty as our starting LT, but until we can find someone markedly better he has the job and I believe that Pugh’s performance last season was a direct result him overcompensating for Jerry’s poor performance. In my uneducated opinion fixing the interior of our OLine is the single most important factor in making this team a contender again.

In the case of the defense, the fixes are far more widespread, however I have a tempered excitement about DC Steve Spagnuolo returning and how he’ll work with the tools we have in place. As I stated before, I’d like (and fully expect) JPP, Rolle, and Walter Thurmond 3rd to return, and at the very least Bowman be offered another contract. That would in effect reduce the immediate need at the S position allowing us to focus on upgrading our DE and LB spots. When it comes to FA DE’s I’m not too familiar with the majority of them, but the ones I am familiar with would be far too expensive (Greg Hardy… BJ Raji) so I’d be more inclined to look to the draft, particularly at a guy like USC’s Leonard Williams if he decides to enter. At LB the only Free Agent LB I’m interested in (and know of) is LB/DE Justin Houston, but he’s going to command a ridiculous amount of money, so unless Reese can talk him into an earthly contract he won’t be in blue next year. Obviously what we do in free agency will impact how we attack the draft, but making some well thought out moves will allow us to attack the holes that we have and put this organization back on the path to the playoffs and hopefully the Super Bowl. Since I’m currently unaware of our Salary Cap situation I can only list players I’d like for us to go after.

Free Agency Targets

OL – Mike Iupati, James Carpenter, Orlando Franklin

TE – Charles Clay, Niles Paul, Jermaine Gresham

DE – Jerry Hughes

LB – Sean Witherspoon

NFL Draft Targets (Only looking at rounds 1-3)

QB – None

RB – Not Sure

WR – Amari Cooper, DeVante Parker, Sammie Coates, Rashad Greene

TE – Nick O’Leary

OT – La’el Collins, Cameron Erving (C, G, T), Brandon Schreff, Andrus Peat

OG – Tre’ Jackson, Josue Matias, Arie Kounandijo

DE – Leonard Williams (DE/DT), Shane Ray, Owamagbe Odighizuwa, Mario Edwards Jr.

DT – Eddie Goldman, Carl Davis,

OLB – Dante Fowler Jr., Vic Beasley,

ILB – Erik Kendricks, Denzel Perryman

CB – None

S – Landon Collins

My Ideal Lineups for 2015

Rolle Brown/Taylor/Berhe

Kennard Beason/Perryman ® Witherspoon

Prince WT3 JPP/Wynn Hankins/Jenkins Bromley/Goldman ® Hughes/Edwards Jr Bowman DRC

Randle Clay/Paul Beatty Iupati Richburg Schwartz Pugh Donnell Beckham Jr
Cruz Eli Cooper ®

Hynoski

Jennings/Williams

Of course this is my uneducated and completely biased opinion and depends heavily on our Salary Cap Situation, heavy work in free agency and players dropping to us in the draft, (Cooper, Perryman, Goldman) and/or Draft Day trades. However, I truly believe with these moves and a little luck on the injury front we’ll be fighting for the division crown and back in the short list of contenders in no time. Thoughts???

Disclaimer: I probably have some players out of position (LBs and Guards) and again have no idea of the cap situation or these players' desires to leave or stay with their current teams.

Randle still has a year left under his rookie deal if I'm not mistaken...he's staying. That said, I think the impact that Beckham had on this team will influence the Giants to find him a running mate...and at the same time, ease concerns about Cruz coming back too soon or concerns about Cruz not being the player he was.

That said, I don't see the Giants drafting a WR in the 1st, and hopefully not until the 4th or so. Ty Montgomery out of Stanford is a guy I could see the Giants being interested in in the 4th.

I'm not sold on Randle... I think the Giants need an upgrade at WR... see if Nicks can be himself again (Big IF) and maybe get him back.

I'm not sold on him either, but Coughlin managed to motivate him into some really good performances the last 2-3 games. If he can keep that up, the need for a new WR will be reduced.

Randle benefitted from some horrible defenses more than good play. He still doesn't run good routes, doesn't time his jumps well, and doesn't catch with his hands. People that think he played well are the same people that thought Stevie Brown was a good player a few years ago, and Brown WAS good except for coverage and run support. =/

Hence the Amari Cooper draft pick. IF Randle doen't consistently produce or play with fire, then we already have his replacement.

PDub... I did say I think I had some ppl out of position. I'll fix it.

Cooper is my pick for the 1st. No sense in drafting a guard with the 9th pick or drafting a RT just move Pugh to OG. I see them bringing in someone like Bryan Bulaga in free agency and decide which one out of him and Pugh play RT and which one moves to OG. They can get a OG in rounds two or three as well. People are still holding on to the 2011 version of Cruz and Randle is still complete garbage, he put up numbers down the stretch in garbage time against bad defenses. WR is still a big need.

My 7 rounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjHOM1TW1xA

<iframe width="450" height="420" src="http://www.draftbreakdown.com/video-embed/?clip=253920"]http://www.draftbreakdown.com/video-embed/?clip=253920" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

If Cooper isn't there I'd be happy with Parker or Kevin White. The Raiders hired a defensive minded HC I could see them taking Williams or Gregory. They have a lot of cap room and hired Musgrave to be OC, so they'll probably go after Maclin in free agency and another wr in round two like Coates

If we miss out on Amari Cooper with the 9th pick, which I think will happen--he won't get by Oakland---I'm perfectly fine with Sammy Coates in the 2nd. The guy is a physical specimen, the *ahem* JPP of wide receivers.

You know, I don't know what I'd do this year. Their big FA acquisitions were basically all injured, so you can't really evaluate their impact properly. The second level acquisitions were a mixed bag at best, although if Jerry was brought in as a backup, you can't really say he sucks if you never planned on him playing as many games as he did.

The draft seems like it was good, but you had people playing out of position because of injuries.

We definitely need a guard--maybe two if Schwartz doesn't pan out. We might need a center if Richberg can't beat out Walton (which would be scary). We've got nothing behind Beatty or Pugh. I'm not sold on Donnel. Or Moore. There's a big hole next to Hankins if Bromley doesn't step up, or Jenkins is done. If I were Reese, I'd be dry-heaving over the thought of safety.

Surprise. We need linebackers. But McClain did pretty well considering he was out of his position most of the year, and for the first time in a long time we drafted a decent lb. The rest--maybe Beason at a reduced contract.

I'm not concerned about RB. Jennings will be ok if he doesn't make a habit of injuries. Williams was ok, even if he was a bit one-dimensional. Darkwa I saw only once, but he struck me as a completely different back than the other two--far more slippery, and probably would be a very good compliment to the other backs.

Good luck, Jerry. You're gonna need it.

You know, I don't know what I'd do this year. Their big FA acquisitions were basically all injured, so you can't really evaluate their impact properly. The second level acquisitions were a mixed bag at best, although if Jerry was brought in as a backup, you can't really say he sucks if you never planned on him playing as many games as he did.

The draft seems like it was good, but you had people playing out of position because of injuries.

We definitely need a guard--maybe two if Schwartz doesn't pan out. We might need a center if Richberg can't beat out Walton (which would be scary). We've got nothing behind Beatty or Pugh. I'm not sold on Donnel. Or Moore. There's a big hole next to Hankins if Bromley doesn't step up, or Jenkins is done. If I were Reese, I'd be dry-heaving over the thought of safety.

Surprise. We need linebackers. But McClain did pretty well considering he was out of his position most of the year, and for the first time in a long time we drafted a decent lb. The rest--maybe Beason at a reduced contract.

I'm not concerned about RB. Jennings will be ok if he doesn't make a habit of injuries. Williams was ok, even if he was a bit one-dimensional. Darkwa I saw only once, but he struck me as a completely different back than the other two--far more slippery, and probably would be a very good compliment to the other backs.

Good luck, Jerry. You're gonna need it.

Its like I've been saying... we're not a player or two away from being competitive, its more like six or seven. Jerry Reese's four years of shit drafts are going to amount to at least for years of average-at-best play.

I'm not sold on Williams at RB either. He has all the physical talent in the world, but is deficient in the most important area a back needs... vision.

Its like I've been saying... we're not a player or two away from being competitive, its more like six or seven. Jerry Reese's four years of shit drafts are going to amount to at least for years of average-at-best play.

I'm not sold on Williams at RB either. He has all the physical talent in the world, but is deficient in the most important area a back needs... vision.

I'm not big on Jennings either. He's also 29 I know he doesn't haven't a lot of miles because he's been a career backup, but that says a lot right there. We need a quick back, who can catch passes for McAdoo's offense