SportsWrath

Puking on myself right now

JMFP

Good thing we grabbed the Next Jeff Rutledge instead of a guy who can play linebacker.

http://www.chicagobe...6f-76af556314b8

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. — Jon Bosticicon-article-link.gif grabbed the spotlight by returning an interception 51 yards for a touchdown. But fellow rookie linebacker Khaseem Greeneicon-article-link.gif also performed well in the Bears' preseason opener.

The fourth-round pick from Rutgers tied for the team lead with four tackles while also recording one tackle-for-loss and one stop on special teams in a 24-17 loss to the Carolina Panthers.

"It was a starting point, a great experience to just get my feet wet and get used to the NFL game, so I felt good," Greene said Sunday at training camp in Bourbonnais.

Greene's most impressive play Friday night came when he knifed into the backfield and dropped running back DeAngelo Williams for a two-yard loss on second-and-goal from the 1.

"As long as I'm out there I'm going to try to do everything within the scheme and the defense to go out there and make plays," Greene said. "If the opportunity presents itself like that, I'm expecting and holding myself to the standard of going and making it."

Greene conceded that he experienced pre-game jitters Friday night, but the 24-year-old felt better after receiving positive feedback from his veteran teammates.

"I'm always nervous before every game," Greene said. "I guess it's just something that comes over me. But I felt really good after a while. Coming off the field and a couple of older guys seeing something I did, maybe not making a play but just seeing me get off a block or something and encouraging me, that felt good and it really got me going."

A safety-turned-linebacker at Rutgers, Greene forced an all-time NCAA record 15 fumbles while playing in 51 games with 39 starts over four seasons.

After starting all 13 games at safety in 2010, Greene moved to weakside linebacker and was voted the Big East defensive player of the year each of the past two seasons.

In 2011, he led the conference with 141 tackles while also recording 14.5 tackles-for-loss, 3.5 sacks and four forced fumbles. Last year Greene registered 136 tackles, 12 tackles-for-loss and six sacks with five pass breakups, two interceptions and six forced fumbles. He also scored touchdowns on two of three fumble recoveries.

Greene hopes to continue to flash his playmaking ability as a Bears rookie. And after playing on all four phases of special teams as well as on defense in the preseason opener, he knows that he must continue to work on his conditioning in training camp.

"The biggest adjustment was the speed and just my endurance, knowing myself and my limits to push myself and knowing that I've got work to do, some extra conditioning work and stuff like that," Greene said.

"The game does move fast and before you know it you play a [special teams play] and then you're right back out on [defense]. A guy could go down. All those types of things can happen and you've got to be ready. You can't be tired. Nobody cares if you're tired. You've got to be ready to go out there and play."

WOOOOWEEEE, dude, Damontre Moore had 4 tackles, a QB hurry, and a blocked punt. Big deal about this Khaseem Greene dude, seriously, he had 4 tackles in preseason game, Joe.

We could have had Greene and Moore.

Instead Reese neglected the worst position on the team....and it showed on Saturday.

Doesn't matter who the fuck is on the line when the linebackers get flushed away.

Greene's production in college was sick....only one game into preseason, but the kid is already flashing.

Can't believe we passed on him to get Nassib.

It's only preseason. What I remember about Greene was this from NFL Scout:

Khaseem Greene: Has a safety build, possessing average height and thinner lower body. Not the strongest or most physical tackler, most likely to dive towards ball carriers' feet than bring real impact. Overruns plays and gets lost in trash inside and lacks strength to take on blocks between the tackles. Hustle is hot and cold, will watch plays to opposite sideline instead of trying to get the angle to prevent the big play. Hands for the interception are only adequate, as he does not always make the moderately difficult catch away from his frame.

NFL Comparison: Geno Hayes

BTW, Geno Hayes played in all 16 games for the Chicago Bears last year and wracked up 15 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 forced fumbles.

After round 1, all LB's were 2 and 3 year projects. If we drafted him, he'd be playing behind Rivers and Curry (maybe even Bosworth)...unless of course, he played the other side which he'd play behind Paysinger and Williams.

No matter how good Greene looks on paper to some people, he's a project that will take a few years and a lot of added weight and muscle to make up for his small size. He'd likely end up on the practice squad of the Giants.

BTW, Geno Hayes played in all 16 games for the Chicago Bears last year and wracked up 15 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 forced fumbles.

After round 1, all LB's were 2 and 3 year projects. If we drafted him, he'd be playing behind Rivers and Curry (maybe even Bosworth)...unless of course, he played the other side which he'd play behind Paysinger and Williams.

No matter how good Greene looks on paper to some people, he's a project that will take a few years and a lot of added weight and muscle to make up for his small size. He'd likely end up on the practice squad of the Giants.

With all due respect, that scouting report does not capture his production as a college linebacker.....the guy was a playmaking machine after he converted from safety to linebacker.

With all due respect, that scouting report does not capture his production as a college linebacker.....the guy was a playmaking machine after he converted from safety to linebacker.

While it's true that some undersized guys make it in the NFL, it's usually not the case. A lot of players are studs in college playing against teams that may have 1 or even 2 guys who make it to the NFL, many times as backup role players. What a player does in college doesn't necessarily translate to the NFL. Take Barden for example, who tore college up as a WR and hasn't done shit at the next level.

Regardless....if we had Greene, he'd be on a weight regimen for the next year getting weight on his hips and legs where he's basically skinny. After a year in the weight room building up his legs and the needed additional muscle, he'd be in the film room learning a whole new game. Once he got to the point where he was NFL ready, he'd have to beat out a whole slew of guys that have already gone through the process and are getting a little better every year.

Bottom line: if we drafted Greene, we wouldn't see him on the field for a year and probably two, and in between that time, we'd either pickup yet another free agent or burn a high draft pick that would be the right size and would beat him out. I will be shocked if he gets much playing time in Chicago and if he does, he'll be injured in a hurry with those chicken legs.

You never know about those little write ups. This was Alfred Morris's report. The one you were using for Green said Morris might get a shot backing up our 3rd year full back.

Morris is a thick running back and a bit of a tweener, not big enough to be imposing at the next level. He is a serviceable runner who at best could carry a load like BenJarvus Green-Ellis of New England, but he will have to prove he has the speed and athleticism to deserve a shot. He carries late-round or free-agent value.

You never know about those little write ups. This was Alfred Morris's report. The one you were using for Green said Morris might get a shot backing up our 3rd year full back.

Morris is a thick running back and a bit of a tweener, not big enough to be imposing at the next level. He is a serviceable runner who at best could carry a load like BenJarvus Green-Ellis of New England, but he will have to prove he has the speed and athleticism to deserve a shot. He carries late-round or free-agent value.

Yeah....he's one of the guys who made it even though some thought he was the wrong size. It helps to have a good o-line as well as an offensive coordinator who draws up good running plays and having a QB that the rest of the team has to focus on.

I hope Greene pans out for the Bears. It's just that playing LB requires both physical toughness and durability....and MUST be a bit of a cerebral type of man because he's playing a complicated position. Being a fast runner does not make a great LB. And I can only imagine what would happen to Greene trying to pull down a 6'6" TE with a full head of steam. Sorta like a Chihuahua taking down a German Shepard.

Yeah....he's one of the guys who made it even though some thought he was the wrong size. It helps to have a good o-line as well as an offensive coordinator who draws up good running plays and having a QB that the rest of the team has to focus on.

I hope Greene pans out for the Bears. It's just that playing LB requires both physical toughness and durability....and MUST be a bit of a cerebral type of man because he's playing a complicated position. Being a fast runner does not make a great LB. And I can only imagine what would happen to Greene trying to pull down a 6'6" TE with a full head of steam. Sorta like a Chihuahua taking down a German Shepard.

True RGIII and the zone blocking scheme help Morris but neither of those bust through tackles for him or make him see the right hole, have patience for it to open etc. etc.

I may even like him more than RGIII. Unassuming guy who parks his 1991 Mazda next to other players Bentley's.

There was another linebacker who scouts thought wasn't quite big enough who played for both our teams and did quite well for awhile. Antonio Pierce.

I love guys who don't fit the template mold of what scouts are looking for and excel. Of course the biggest one ever is Tom Brady. Tubby, slow, etc. etc.

While it's true that some undersized guys make it in the NFL, it's usually not the case. A lot of players are studs in college playing against teams that may have 1 or even 2 guys who make it to the NFL, many times as backup role players. What a player does in college doesn't necessarily translate to the NFL. Take Barden for example, who tore college up as a WR and hasn't done shit at the next level.

Regardless....if we had Greene, he'd be on a weight regimen for the next year getting weight on his hips and legs where he's basically skinny. After a year in the weight room building up his legs and the needed additional muscle, he'd be in the film room learning a whole new game. Once he got to the point where he was NFL ready, he'd have to beat out a whole slew of guys that have already gone through the process and are getting a little better every year.

Bottom line: if we drafted Greene, we wouldn't see him on the field for a year and probably two, and in between that time, we'd either pickup yet another free agent or burn a high draft pick that would be the right size and would beat him out. I will be shocked if he gets much playing time in Chicago and if he does, he'll be injured in a hurry with those chicken legs.

Greene was listed at 6-1 / 241 according to college scouting reports. Wouldn't be suprised if he's coming in closer to 250 now.

To me, Greene represents the new college linebacker....someone who can cover athletic tight ends and also run down mobile QBs.

I think Greene will be far more productive than Nassib will be....Chicago hopped all over Greene after the Giants took the Next Jeff Rutledge with their 4th (and 6th). Carr is fine as a backup QB at this stage in Eli's career. Nassib was a wasted 2 picks given other glaring needs, and Eli's age/stamina. Finding a replacement for Eli is at least 3 years down the road.

Here's a good scouting report on Greene....the full story in the link, but the pros/cons/outlook below seems pretty dead on. And when you consider that Chicago has a much stronger linebacking group, makes it tougher to understand why a linebacker-poor club like the Giants would ignore the position.

http://chicago.cbslo...khaseem-greene/

Positive Impressions

Playmaking abilities. Greene has a nose for the ball and a knack for jarring it loose when he arrives, which is a perfect fit for the Bears ball-hawking defense. His 15 forced fumbles are an all-time NCAA record, and he led the nation with 27 impact tackles (tackles on plays that result in less than two yards, and prevent either a first down or touchdown) in 2012.

Pass coverage. Greene is very fluid in coverage, showing loose hips that swivel with ease as he breaks in and out of his drops. Greene spies the quarterback well, trusting his eyes to guide him to the right area on the field. In a pass-happy league, teams will throw out of any personnel groupings and alignments, so Greene’s coverage skills are an asset.

Negative Impressions

Shedding blockers in the run game. Being a converted safety also has some drawbacks, and it occasionally affected Greene’s effectiveness in run support. Greene is a physical player who operates well in space, but he had difficulties disengaging from blockers – particularly lineman – once they got to his pads.

Can be slow out of his stance off the snap. At times, Greene was frozen in his stance after the ball was snapped, almost as if he thought he was still back at safety and had more time to react to the play. Playing linebacker brings players closer to the line of scrimmage, and speeds up their play recognition process. Greene must focus on being assignment sound and dedicated in film study to read his keys quicker.

Areas for Improvement

Upper body strength. At the combine, Greene had the lowest bench press (17 reps) for outside linebackers, and it showed up on film. Greene struggled to free himself up when engaged with blockers. Developing more muscle tone and upper body strength will be a big part of Greene’s early physical development process.

Hand fighting. Tied to upper body strength, Greene needs to become more violent with this hands at the point of attack. It’s essential for linebackers to scrape, and occupy a blocker to set an edge and force the play back inside (where the help is). So, Greene must learn to deliver the first blow to jar a blocker and keep himself in the play, instead of getting washed out.

Greene was listed at 6-1 / 241 according to college scouting reports. Wouldn't be suprised if he's coming in closer to 250 now.

To me, Greene represents the new college linebacker....someone who can athletic tight ends and also shadow mobile QBs.

I think Greene will be far more productive than Nassib will be....Chicago hopped all over Greene after the Giants took the Next Jeff Rutledge with their 4th (and 6th).....

Two rookies, LaVonte David and Bobby Wagner are undersized guys that had fantastic years. HOF Mike Singletary was undersized. Soon to be HOF'er Derrick Brooks was undersized. I'm with you on that scouting report. I honestly think who wrote, never seen a tape of Greene. We also passed up Hodges, another NJ guy in the 4th.

I think everyone is jumping the gun on Greene and deciding he's a can't miss pro-bowler that our staff was just too stupid to see. Maybe he works out, maybe he doesn't. But if he was the second coming of Singletary.....a whole lot of teams passed on him besides the Giants. The way people are talking on here, you'd think he should have gone in the top ten. Pretty much anyone after the 2nd round is a crap shoot and linebackers might be the biggest crap shoot of all the positions. Sometimes you roll sixes, sometimes you roll snake eyes. There are very few "can't miss" players on the board after the second round and as we've seen....a whole lot of 1st round LB's are busts....heck, we've got 3 first rounders on our team already that were "can't miss", but "missed". I trust the Giants scouts that they saw things that didn't make them drool over Greene. Don't know what that is, but I assure you that our scouts and Reese and TC have a lot better sense of the guy than us fans.

Joe,

Like I mentioned before I would have LOVED for the Giants to snatch Greene in the 4th round... however Carr sucks... I swear if Eli goes down we're going to be 0 for whatever games he plays. Nassib in the game against Pitt played with nobody... I'd love to see what he can do when he gets some protection... again Carr sucks. hands down... sucks.

I think everyone is jumping the gun on Greene and deciding he's a can't miss pro-bowler that our staff was just too stupid to see. Maybe he works out, maybe he doesn't. But if he was the second coming of Singletary.....a whole lot of teams passed on him besides the Giants. The way people are talking on here, you'd think he should have gone in the top ten. Pretty much anyone after the 2nd round is a crap shoot and linebackers might be the biggest crap shoot of all the positions. Sometimes you roll sixes, sometimes you roll snake eyes. There are very few "can't miss" players on the board after the second round and as we've seen....a whole lot of 1st round LB's are busts....heck, we've got 3 first rounders on our team already that were "can't miss", but "missed". I trust the Giants scouts that they saw things that didn't make them drool over Greene. Don't know what that is, but I assure you that our scouts and Reese and TC have a lot better sense of the guy than us fans.

I think Greene would be an improvement over what we have now.....that's by no means saying he'll be All-Pro.

I'd settle for a decent player who isn't a flashing neon sign saying "exploit me!!!"

I don't disagree with you that players take time to develop.....but we should have decent linebackers right now if that plan was in place years ago.

I think Greene would be an improvement over what we have now.....that's by no means saying he'll be All-Pro.

I'd settle for a decent player who isn't a flashing neon sign saying "exploit me!!!"

I don't disagree with you that players take time to develop.....but we should have decent linebackers right now if that plan was in place years ago.

Personally, I don't think Greene would make the team. He certainly wouldn't displace Rivers or Paysinger or Williams and would be in a fight for his life to beat out Bosworth, who will probably get cut in favor of Curry. And no way they'd try Greene in the Mike position because of his size. That position is a lock with Herzlich and Conners.

I think the Bears would trade Greene for Paysinger in a heartbeat and laugh all the way to the playoffs.